The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday March 26th, 2024

kazu

Today is American Diabetes Alert Day, Epilepsy Awareness/Purple Day, and Live, Long and Prosper Day

I slept and dreamt that life was joy. I awoke and saw that life was service. I acted and behold, service was joy. - Rabindranath Tagore

Meal Suggestion for today - Lasagna Roll Ups With Cottage Cheese
Drink of the Day - Cranberry Hooker
Wine of the Day - Pavie 2020 (750ML)
Destination of the Day - Saipan, Northern Mariana Islands

Today in History:
1953 Dr. Jonas Salk announces that he has successfully tested a vaccine to prevent Polio, clinical trials began the next year

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 08:00 - 15:00 

Koningsdam

Mazatlan, Sinaloa, Mexico Riviera 08:00 - 17:00 

Nieuw Amsterdam

Ocho Rios, Jamaica 08:00 - 16:00 

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Grand Turk Island, Cockburn Town, Turks and Caicos eta 03-27

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Manta, Ecuador eta 03-28

Rotterdam

San Juan, Puerto Rico 08:00 - 18:00 

Volendam

Papeete, Tahiti Island French Polynesia 08:00 - 

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico Riviera eta 03-27

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Wellington, New Zealand 07:00 - 19:00 

Westerdam

Kobe-Osaka, Kyoto, Japan 08:00 - 

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Colombo, Sri Lanka eta 03-

• Like 17
  • Thanks 26

A devastating morning in Baltimore with the collapse of one of our major bridges.  A support on the Francis Scott Key Bridge was struck by a freighter about 1:30AM causing the bridge to collapse within seconds.  The wreckage will block access to the inner harbor including our cruise terminal.  It is believed that about 20 souls were on the bridge at the time and probably lost.

Roy

• Like 8
  • Thanks 32

Posted (edited)

Today’s Care List:

Dfish’s River having a respiratory illness; also trauma from prior family situation

Aliaschief not feeling well due to a cold

Seasick Sailor’s DH Allen having abnormal lab results

JazzyV with R leg pain, numbness

2 crew members killed due to steam line bursting on Nieuw Amsterdam

Baltimore bridge collapse

Victims in Moscow concert shooting

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza; Haiti unrest

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues

Haljo1935’s medical issues affecting working

Catmando’s jaw bone issues due to prior radiation

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Cat shepherd’s DSis released to home

USN59-79 in Taipei

Vict0riann’s DD not requiring surgery for her fractured humerus

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

3 days for Smmessineo (Rotterdam Mar 29 to Apr 7) 9d S. Caribbean Wayfarer

3 days for POA1 & Huskerchick (Rotterdam Mar 29 to Apr 7) 9d S. Caribbean Wayfarer

4 days for Ocean sounds (Zaandam Mar 30 to Apr 13) 14d Solar Eclipse & Mexican Riviera

5 days for Sailingdutchy (Nieuw Statendam Mar 31 to April 7) B2B 7d E. Caribbean + (Nieuw Statendam Apr 7 to May 5) 28d Bermuda, Brittany & Canary Island Allure

Crazy For Cats (Eurodam to Mar 27) 11d E. Caribbean Wayfarer, Scrapnana (Rotterdam to Mar 29) 12d E. Caribbean Wayfarer, Suslor (Zaandam to Mar 30) 14d Panama Canal, Lazey1 (Koningsdam to Mar 30) 7d Mexico,  RedneckBob (Nieuw Statendam to March 31) 7d E. Caribbean, GTVCRUISER (Koningsdam to Apr 6) B2B 7d Mexico + 7d Pacific Coastal, Cruising-along (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Durangoscots (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), cruising sister (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Cruisercl (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, Jan 3 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Coast), Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), Gail & Marty sailing away (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage) and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 27

Good morning Dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report.

Listening to the news about the container ship hitting the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore early this morning. 😞 

I hope everyone here has a great day. 

20221107_092752.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 8

Just now, rafinmd said:

A devastating morning in Baltimore with the collapse of one of our major bridges.  A support on the Francis Scott Key Bridge was struck by a freighter about 1:30AM causing the bridge to collapse within seconds.  The wreckage will block access to the inner harbor including our cruise terminal.  It is believed that about 20 souls were on the bridge at the time and probably lost.

Roy

I just came on to report too, Roy,

It’s horrific.  They are searching  the water.  It sounds like 20 cars, possibly construction workers as well are in the water along with most of the bridge.  Absolutely horrific.

My prayers for them all and to the brave men and women in the water trying frantically to see if anyone can be saved in the frigid water 🙏 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 22

2 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

I watched this on Sky news this morning Roy.

It looked dreadful the way the bridge collapsed into the Patapsco River.

Prayers 🙏for everyone involved.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 6

3 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Praying for Baltimore. 🙏

Francis Scott Key Bridge Collapses After Being Struck by Cargo Ship

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.

It is 6°C, cloudy with rain due soon.

Our Sarah is Epileptic so awareness of this condition is extremely important.

I wish everyone on the care list better health.

I hope all of my Dailyite friends have a happy and enjoyable day.

Graham x

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Unbelievable, this just doesn’t happen with clear and calm conditions with the Captain and 2 Pilots on the bridge, I won’t be surprised that terrorism might be in play as individuals could have taken command of the bridge. One of the commentators on Fox news also said that this might very well be a crime scene. A similar incident happened in Tampa Bay in the early 80s but dense fog was the main reason a container ship brought down that bridge with the Pilot also miscalculating the clearance between the support columns, IIRC 35 persons lost their lives that night including some aboard a Greyhound bus.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 9

2 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Unbelievable, this just doesn’t happen with clear and calm conditions with the Captain and 2 Pilots on the bridge, I won’t be surprised that terrorism is in play as individuals could have taken command of the bridge. A similar incident happened in Tampa Bay in the early 80s but dense fog was the main reason a container ship brought down that bridge with the Pilot also miscalculating the clearance between the support columns, IIRC 35 persons lost their lives that night including some aboard a Greyhound bus.

That does not appear to be the case.  It apparently was caused by a massive power failure on the ship.

Roy

• Like 11
  • Thanks 24

3 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

That does not appear to be the case.  It apparently was caused by a massive power failure on the ship.

Roy

I didn’t hear that but that makes sense and relieves my fears of terrorism.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info from all contributors.

This is RedneckBob reporting live from the beautiful and elegant N. Statendam. Currently sailing in open rough waters to Grand Turk. Great cruise so far. Turned in laundry yesterday at 9 AM and returned at 5 PM. Ordered made to order pizza at Noon and available at 5:30 PM . What, laundry just as fast a pizza? 

Met a nice man from Holland yesterday. I told him love your Edam cheese. Asked him when is HAL going to name a ship the Edamdam. I guess there are too many dams in the name. Then I told him a joke I just came up with. What did one cannabal say to the other cannabal in Holland? Answer: wait for it, It’s Gouda to Edam! 😀

Well, got to get back to work. I am on a new diet / exercise problem where I am walking every deck starting on Deck 1 until I get to the Lido on Deck 9, then I proceed to exercise my month eating several donuts; actually fruit and cereal!

RNB out for the day!

IMG_1754.thumb.jpeg.93ecaca575959604e36b04b71c536831.jpegIMG_1758.thumb.jpeg.b1cb3b51b270e3dbdba68e339e26118e.jpeg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 4

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

I hope we can all Live Long and Prosper.

Terrible news from Baltimore.  Praying for everyone involved.

Interesting quote.

I'm sure the meal will be good, not sure about the drink or wine.

Prayers for our world.

Have a good day.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Unbelievable, this just doesn’t happen with clear and calm conditions with the Captain and 2 Pilots on the bridge, I won’t be surprised that terrorism might be in play as individuals could have taken command of the bridge. One of the commentators on Fox news also said that this might very well be a crime scene. A similar incident happened in Tampa Bay in the early 80s but dense fog was the main reason a container ship brought down that bridge with the Pilot also miscalculating the clearance between the support columns, IIRC 35 persons lost their lives that night including some aboard a Greyhound bus.

Wow, just saw the news. Terrible to see another ship hit a major bridge. I was driving to work on May 9, 1980 over the Howard Franklin Bridge into St Petersburg the morning of the ship hitting the Skyway Bridge. It was a terrible thunderstorm that morning with zero visibility. When the bridge collapsed oncoming cars including a Greyhound Bus could not see it due to the heavy rain.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 9

Good morning friends!  Weather here is a temp of 55F with rain and thunderstorms expected on and off today and a high of 66. Originally rain was supposed to arrive around 7 am but radar reports show rain showing up around noon.  Thanks to Jacqui @kazu and Roy @rafinmd for posting the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the fleet location maps for today.

As soon as I got up this morning and turned on the TV I saw the news about the Baltimore bridge collapse.  Comcast was having issues with video interruption for the first 45 minutes so it was very frustrating getting the information, but that seems to have been corrected.  After the treadmill I turned on my laptop and went to vesselfinder.com to look up the container ship Dali but when the page opened that is the ship that was shown on the screen without me having to even search for it.  I'm assuming that was because so many people were searching for that ship at the moment.  Surprising though they did that.  This bridge collapse is such a tragedy and I send prayers to all the families of victims involved.  It will be a long time before this bridge can be rebuilt.  The people of Baltimore and all travelers along this corridor will have their patience tested in the months ahead.

Very good days to recognize and celebrate today.  Diabetes and epilepsy are conditions that deserve awareness and understanding.  My hairdresser's 15 year old son has epilepsy and experiences varying degrees of severity so it hasn't been easy to manage.  Enjoy Live, Long and Prosper Day.  The quote is interesting, will be curious to hear about the meal, say no to the drink and don't know about the wine.  The Salk vaccine was a major breakthrough in the threat from polio.  Thank you Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for the F&B reports.

Prayers for everyone involved today in the horrific bridge collapse, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, and troops in the region.  Also for my DB, great nephew Alex's twin sons, friends Scott, Susan and Sandy.  And my many fellow Dailyites on the Care list who are in need of them.  I pray for improvement and healing every day.  And for our Celebration list, congrats to all who have special events and cruises to enjoy.  All the best to you!  Thanks to Vanessa @JazzyV for your list keeping skills.  We are so appreciative of the hard work you put into it.

The destination today is Saipan, Northern Mariana Islands.  This was the port before on Aug. 14, 2021 and April 2, 2022.  I have not been there before but it sounds like a unique spot to see.  Here are the links if you need them.

DD made it safely to Clearwater and enjoyed a fun afternoon putting together a TV stand for Morgan, then she took Morgan and her boyfriend out for dinner.  I saw a photo this morning of them taking a selfie next to the lake outside the apartment.  All looked happy to be there. ❤️

Hoping you all have a wonderful day today!  Stay safe and keep well!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

Wow, just saw the news. Terrible to see another ship hit a major bridge. I was driving to work on May 9, 1980 over the Howard Franklin Bridge into St Petersburg the morning of the ship hitting the Skyway Bridge. It was a terrible thunderstorm that morning with zero visibility. When the bridge collapsed oncoming cars including a Greyhound Bus could not see it due to the heavy rain.

I remember driving over the double span Skyway bridge in 1983 on the remaining span as we drove from Clearwater to Sarasota to see a spring training baseball game and seeing what was left of the other span, very eerie to see part of the span still in tact unlike today’s accident that brought down just about the whole bridge. 

IMG_1848.jpeg

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 6

49 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

It is such devastating news, Roy. I can’t imagine what the search and rescuers are dealing with. Not just the wreckage, but the icy waters. The pictures are chilling. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 7

Cocktail Hooker cocktail:

Prepare to tantalize your taste buds with a bold and vibrant concoction known as the "Cranberry Hooker" cocktail. This delightful libation combines the tartness of cranberries with a hint of sweetness, resulting in a tantalizing blend of flavors that will leave you craving more. With its striking appearance and irresistible taste, the Cranberry Hooker is the perfect drink to elevate any gathering or enjoy as a refreshing treat. Get ready to indulge in this captivating cocktail that will surely leave a lasting impression.

Ingredients:

2 oz. vodka
1/2 oz. lime juice
1/2 oz simple syrup
1 oz. cranberry juice

Directions:

In a cocktail shaker filled halfway with ice cubes add the vodka, cranberry juice, lime juice, and simple syrup.
Shake vigorously for about 20 seconds to combine all the ingredients and chill the cocktail.
Strain the mixture into a chilled cocktail glass and garnish with a few fresh cranberrie3s on a cocktail pick.

Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 7.11.18 AM.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 20

Good Tuesday morning. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

I am following the story of the bridge collapse as Baltimore is my disembarkation port in October. I am seeing videos of the actual impact. So, devastating and praying for those who are still in the water. It is still an active investigation so it will be a while before we know what actually happened. 

So much devastation in the world today. 

As a diabetic, I can tell you that it is a challenge at times. I work hard to keep myself alive as there are so many health effects. I have to be mindful every day of my blood sugars. I have my sugars under control now. My brother died two years ago because he did not seriously manage his own diabetes and frustrated his doctors who were trying to help him. 

Cloudy today in the 50s. I am working on grading assignments for three classes. It should be a slow week which is good for me. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Cat Memes - Chewsday Memes - Wattpad

• Like 28
  • Thanks 5

Thank you Jacqui, thank you Roy, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

A real tragedy with the collapse of the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore this morning. We sailed under it departing and returning onboard the Carnival Legend on a cruise in 01/2023. So much is taken for granted when we sail.

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Thank you Jacqui, thank you Roy, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

A real tragedy with the collapse of the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore this morning. We sailed under it departing and returning onboard the Carnival Legend on a cruise in 01/2023. So much is taken for granted when we sail.

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

The Carnival Legend left Baltimore on a 7 day Bahamas cruise Sunday.  They were supposed to return to Baltimore this Sunday, March 31st but it looks like they'll have to find a new port for a while.  Plans need to be made for all the passengers who left cars parked there or had flights from Baltimore this coming weekend.  On April 15 the Legend was supposed to make a transatlantic from Baltimore to Barcelona.  Turmoil for many people on Carnival Legend for a good long while.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 5