The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday March 26th, 2024

kazu

Hard to wake up to such tragic news.  The video is chilling.

Awareness of diabetes and epilepsy is important and may we all Live Long and Prosper.  interesting quote, meal and drink sound interesting, ? on the wine - white or red? - and never been to the port.  Thank goodness for Salk and his vaccine!

Today is a repeat of yesterday with the gym and PT thrown in.  The teacher didn't upload the assignment to the students "classroom" so we had to go old school.  Luckily one of the aides was able to do it so all is well for today.  

Thoughts for all on the care list and cheers for those celebrating.  Have a great day everyone.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

The Carnival Legend left Baltimore on a 7 day Bahamas cruise Sunday.  They were supposed to return to Baltimore this Sunday, March 31st but it looks like they'll have to find a new port for a while.  Plans need to be made for all the passengers who left cars parked there or had flights from Baltimore this coming weekend.  On April 15 the Legend was supposed to make a transatlantic from Baltimore to Barcelona.  Turmoil for many people on Carnival Legend for a good long while.

For a few years there has been talk of building a cruise terminal so that cruise ships would not have to transit under the Francis Scott Key Bridge. The bridge has been an operational issue due to the air draft limiting the size of ships.

The nearest operable cruise port would be Norfolk or possibly NYC.

I am disappointed with the coverage of Fox News as the playing out of the event's video is greatly speeded up for effect. Closer examination by other coverage shows the ship going dark prior to collision. That might indicate loss of auxiliary power which would be the steering.

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 13

Good Morning Everyone,  thanks for today's daily fleet report.  Woke up seeing the terrible news.  We are at HMC and it looks like another beautiful day.  The only agenda items are Tamarind and spending the rest of my OBC.

20240326_075734.thumb.jpg.22a4610451b76ad072e1008c1d229566.jpg

• Like 32

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Our own @Lady Hudson frequently sails Vision of the Seas out of Baltimore, and she is stationed here year round.

Roy

Hi, all.  Yes, frequently sailing under the Key bridge and best estimate around 70 to 80 times.  I got back home on Saturday.  This is just devastating news especially considering the loss of life.  Vision is on a longer trip right now but it will be doubtful she will be able to return to the Port of Baltimore anytime soon.  Prayers for all involved.  Katherine 

Edited by Lady Hudson
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 8

Good Tuesday Morning Dailyites!  I am currently procrastinating feeding the fur babies until 8 am, so that I can feed the indoorians, and the outdoorians at the same time.  The computer says its 57 degrees and cloudy.  And once again, even with the rain we are supposed to get, there is a fire danger in the mountains north of us because of the winds.

DH is about to change meds for the pain, we dont know to what yet.  And this week the only Dr appointment we have is actually for me.  I had months of physical therapy for that nerve in my arm, now the doc is having me see a neurologist on Friday Morning.  Since I am now using a new keyboard, which is to the right of my computer, the arm seems to hurt more.

Adding those that were on the bridge in Baltimore and their families have been added immediately to my prayer list.

tuesday-memes-78.jpg

3b5ecfde0dae6cb6bd854f735ffa3df5.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 3

Thank you for today’s FR&D, Jacqui! Roy, thank you for your maps. The sun is just breaking through the marine layer on this lovely morning. Yesterday was jam packed, but in a great way. I am finally getting back to my normal gym schedule and Bindi is getting her normal walks.  We really celebrated my Sister’s birthday yesterday. She had a stellar day, her most active yet. And she drove her car for the first time in 4 weeks. So many reasons to be thankful. And thank all of you for your good wishes and prayers. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping our lists so diligently. Praying that your road to surgery is not too horrific. April 22nd sounds far to me and I am not the one suffering. 

Gym, Bindi walks, a gazillion chores (I have a ton of leftovers to organize) and checking in with my Sister & Brayden. Should keep me busy. 

IMG_2640.jpeg.6b52f240dbce1e7f506af33c7e90093c.jpeg

IMG_2653.jpeg.f0567d39cb1201f59882fcea6eb24737.jpeg

IMG_2636.jpeg.c62bd1433a7d86e40973862ce8fb86da.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Those suffering from pain, debilitating conditions, loss of a loved one, trauma. The caregivers.  Terry, thinking of you and Tana!

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Château Pavie 2020

Start saving your Pennie’s. This amazing wine is so tempting. I confess to being a fan of wines with a sense of blackberry. A surprising number of distributors with online prices starting at $287.49.

Professional Ratings

• 100James Suckling
    This opens up on your palate like a butterfly. It takes your breath away. Purity of blackberry, raspberry and black cherry. Lavender. Very, very impressive. Full and chewy with tight and polished tannins that go on and on. Energetic and structured. Crisp and vivid. Superb finish. Better after 2029 but a joy to taste.
  • 100Jeb Dunnuck

Pure perfection in red wine, the 2020 Château Pavie checks in as 50% Merlot, 34% Cabernet Franc and the rest Cabernet Sauvignon, all raised in 75% new French oak. Absolutely incredible in every way, it has a sensational bouquet of crème de cassis, smoked tobacco, chocolaty oak, graphite, white truffle, and hints of flowers. Pure, full-bodied, and concentrated, with perfect integration of its fruit, oak, and tannins, it's one of those wines that needs to be tasted to be believed. Hats off to the Perse team for not following trends and for continuing to make a truly Grand Vin that offers a rare mix of power and elegance.

• 99Robert Parker's Wine Advocate

Composed of 50% Merlot, 34% Cabernet Franc and 16% Cabernet Sauvignon, the 2020 Pavie weighs in with an alcohol of 14.82% and a pH of 3.61. It is aging in French oak barriques, 75% new. Opaque purple-black colored, notes of plum pudding, blueberry pie and dark chocolate-covered cherries charge out of the gate, followed closely by hints of eucalyptus, star anise, unsmoked cigars and fertile loam with a hint of cedar chest. The full-bodied palate is built like a brick house, offering very firm yet wonderfully ripe, velvety tannins and seamless freshness to support the densely laden, muscular black and blue fruits, finishing very long and with loads of mineral-laced layers. As hedonic as it is cerebral this year, it is a beautiful paradox. Barrel Sample: 97-99

• 97Decanter
    Smooth from the get go, still tense as you’d expect with a straight backbone, but the creamy texture is lovely with a beautiful balancing acidity and suaveness overall. More calm and quiet than I was expecting, certainly not shouting but with clear depth and length to the chocolate, blackcurrant, liquorice and graphite. Detailed and nuanced, not trying too hard with energy and plumpness yet retaining a serious, savouriness that brings you back to Pavie and to the terroir with clear minerality in the lick of wet stone on the finish. Well constructed with care.
  • 96Wine Enthusiast

Big, bold and rich with solid black fruits and dense tannins that are definitely not shy. This solid wine is packed with structure. The fruit and freshness of the year are almost overwhelmed by the wine's richness. The wine is redeemed by the perfumed, balanced finish.
    Barrel Sample: 94-96

• Like 19
  • Thanks 14
  • Haha 1

Good morning, everyone.

All thoughts are with those impacted by the bridge collapse in Baltimore.  What a devastating event. 

It is supposed to be warm here today with rain off and on.  I have PT, but am looking to be released from that next week.  This afternoon we are going to the butterfly exhibit at Dow Gardens.  The rain is supposed to let up during the time period we'll be there.  I sure hope so!  

We've had lasagna roll ups before, but I'm not sure if they were made with cottage cheese or not.  This first recipe is meatless for the vegetarian family members.  https://www.skinnytaste.com/lasagna-roll-ups-with-cottage-cheese/

lasagnarollups1.thumb.jpg.ddb474523728ff1f27f5454e9b697891.jpg

This next one has Italian sausage in it, always a favorite of mine.  https://www.favfamilyrecipes.com/lasagna-roll-ups/

lasagnarollups2.thumb.jpg.c87c3ad199fa35f0a8f0571290d8f1c2.jpg

This last one is meatless and tomatoless.  I think I'd like this as something different, but the carb count is way too high for me.   https://playswellwithbutter.com/pesto-lasagna-rolls-with-spinach-cottage-cheese/

lasagnarollups3.thumb.jpg.c08de617ac4a0bfed83954d73ac92774.jpg

Wishing everyone a great day.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 14

We woke up to the awful news about the Baltimore bridge and it was compounded by news of the death on duty of a young NYC policeman. The video of the bridge collapsing is horrific. 
Diabetes takes a huge toll on the body and is difficult to control. Epilepsy awareness is also important. My BFF had polio as a child and has struggled with increased weakness from post polio syndrome.I was a few years younger and got the vaccine. She needs a brace to walk due to a foot drop and has very limited shoulder strength and movement.

Take care today everyone. 

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report, recipes and lists.  Two important health related days to recognize.  I hope we all live long and prosper.  The quote is a nice lesson on obtaining joy.  The meal and drink suggestions both sound nice.  I haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list and for those involved with the collapse of the bridge in Baltimore, an awful tragedy.  Cheers to those of you who are celebrating happy events today!

• Like 29

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Cocktail Hooker cocktail:

Prepare to tantalize your taste buds with a bold and vibrant concoction known as the "Cranberry Hooker" cocktail. This delightful libation combines the tartness of cranberries with a hint of sweetness, resulting in a tantalizing blend of flavors that will leave you craving more. With its striking appearance and irresistible taste, the Cranberry Hooker is the perfect drink to elevate any gathering or enjoy as a refreshing treat. Get ready to indulge in this captivating cocktail that will surely leave a lasting impression.

Ingredients:

2 oz. vodka
1/2 oz. lime juice
1/2 oz simple syrup
1 oz. cranberry juice

Directions:

In a cocktail shaker filled halfway with ice cubes add the vodka, cranberry juice, lime juice, and simple syrup.
Shake vigorously for about 20 seconds to combine all the ingredients and chill the cocktail.
Strain the mixture into a chilled cocktail glass and garnish with a few fresh cranberrie3s on a cocktail pick.

Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 7.11.18 AM.png

Cocktail Hooker, as summer slope says, and I quote, perfect drink to elevate any gathering”. Could not have said it any better! 😀

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Good Tuesday morning - a grim one with the news.  Thanks Rich, Roy, Rich, Vanessa, Ann, Debbie & Dixie.

Important days - especially Diabetes & Epilepsy awareness.  Always loved the live long and prosper saying by the Vulcans.  I like the Tagore quote.  The meal sounds great if someone wants to go to the trouble to make it for me 😉 A truly great day in history - the polio vaccine has saved so many.

IMG_1717.jpeg.87bc065d6342b9f6838eadaec74ec7b1.jpeg

@Heartgrove your pictures of Sam and his height and weight brought my own Maverick to mind.  He was my first dog 25 years ago and actually my avatar on CC for many years.  May I take you down my memory lane?

IMG_2646.thumb.jpeg.b37414ccefe26be5dbafc419abfff13c.jpeg

I had never had a dog - just a multitude of cats and had no idea that this little puppy

IMG_2648.thumb.jpeg.1de515cca17023d4f2dc0bfb4ffc8f00.jpeg

would grow into this massive 125pound, lean dog who was taller than my waist.

IMG_2644.thumb.jpeg.6f1f439273d0a9f6ed2bbebdafef7e18.jpeg

Like Sam, he was a true gentle giant.  He adored children and was so gentle with them it was incredible.  When he passed, the neighbours mourned the loss of the “King of the Hill”

IMG_2645.thumb.jpeg.1d3cbfa4dcd49b5dfb1107860ff4111a.jpeg

He was a real winter dog and I would have to drag him in on days when it was too cold even for him.  He would go to the top of highest snowbank and be very content there for some time 🙂 

IMG_2642.thumb.jpeg.ebd9a2de8026af127a94fdcded0ec504.jpeg

Ivan had his Librela shot today, thankfully.  He was showing signs of being uncomfortable and pain the last couple of days.  His vet comes next month and I am going to ask about increasing his dosage assuming he is better after his shot.  I did some research and it is allowed.  Hopefully the shot does the trick.  I wish there was one for humans as it seems we have the same problem.

IMG_1725.jpeg.567d5a383e88f5c4915ed99fc61ab4cf.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, grief, pain, health problems, worries and those that need them 🙏 Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

• Like 30
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, kazu said:

Good Tuesday morning - a grim one with the news.  Thanks Rich, Roy, Rich, Vanessa, Ann, Debbie & Dixie.

Important days - especially Diabetes & Epilepsy awareness.  Always loved the live long and prosper saying by the Vulcans.  I like the Tagore quote.  The meal sounds great if someone wants to go to the trouble to make it for me 😉 A truly great day in history - the polio vaccine has saved so many.

IMG_1717.jpeg.87bc065d6342b9f6838eadaec74ec7b1.jpeg

@Heartgrove your pictures of Sam and his height and weight brought my own Maverick to mind.  He was my first dog 25 years ago and actually my avatar on CC for many years.  May I take you down my memory lane?

IMG_2646.thumb.jpeg.b37414ccefe26be5dbafc419abfff13c.jpeg

I had never had a dog - just a multitude of cats and had no idea that this little puppy

IMG_2648.thumb.jpeg.1de515cca17023d4f2dc0bfb4ffc8f00.jpeg

would grow into this massive 125pound, lean dog who was taller than my waist.

IMG_2644.thumb.jpeg.6f1f439273d0a9f6ed2bbebdafef7e18.jpeg

Like Sam, he was a true gentle giant.  He adored children and was so gentle with them it was incredible.  When he passed, the neighbours mourned the loss of the “King of the Hill”

IMG_2645.thumb.jpeg.1d3cbfa4dcd49b5dfb1107860ff4111a.jpeg

He was a real winter dog and I would have to drag him in on days when it was too cold even for him.  He would go to the top of highest snowbank and be very content there for some time 🙂 

IMG_2642.thumb.jpeg.ebd9a2de8026af127a94fdcded0ec504.jpeg

Ivan had his Librela shot today, thankfully.  He was showing signs of being uncomfortable and pain the last couple of days.  His vet comes next month and I am going to ask about increasing his dosage assuming he is better after his shot.  I did some research and it is allowed.  Hopefully the shot does the trick.  I wish there was one for humans as it seems we have the same problem.

IMG_1725.jpeg.567d5a383e88f5c4915ed99fc61ab4cf.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, grief, pain, health problems, worries and those that need them 🙏 Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

Jacqui, thank you for sharing the pictures of Maverick! So similar to the four Malamutes that I have had with cold weather, each of them would also like to find a high spot to lay (I call it their "perch") and look over their realm.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.  John woke me this morning to tell me the horrible news of the FSK Bridge collapse.  Prayers for all who are hurt or were killed by this tragedy.   It was my favorite bridge to get from Northern Baltimore County to the BWI airport.  Although it was 12 miles longer journey to cross it the route allowed me to avoid the horrible backups on the west end of the Baltimore Beltway.   The traffic on the other major arteries north and south, the Harbor Tunnel, I-95 and the west end of 695 will be a nightmare for a long time.  Maybe it will help to encourage a new cruise terminal to be built to the east of the collapsed bridge.   There used to be a large amount of available space there where the massive closed steel plant sat.  We are rushing out to drop off my taxes and some errands before the winds pick up to 45 mph.   Nancy 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Roy for posting the terrible news early this morning. While we lived not far from Baltimore we cruised on Carnival Legend with our grandkids. Baltimore is the easiest cruise port I’ve ever used. I’m just really struggling to absorb this news.

Clouds arrived in north Jersey. Rain coming maybe today but a lot Thursday… hoping it won’t hamper our visit to eye doctor Thursday. 

My stepsons that I raised had a mother with epilepsy and the meds she was on in the early 70s left their mark on the boys during her pregnancies. Both boys as adults needed minor surgeries to correct testicular abnormalities.  One has children, the other’s wife couldn’t but both boys tried everything they could and in their search for a path to fatherhood these issues were discovered. The boys lost their mother when they were in their twenties, she died from a seizure. In reality they lost her much earlier in life due to her other issues, I’ll leave it at that. 

Blessings to all involved in today’s tragedy And all in need. 
Maureen 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Diabetes and epilepsy are two diseases that should be recognized, as they affect so many people.  I think we all hope to live long and prosper.  Jonas Salk's vaccine saved many from the ravages of polio.  Our friend got polio before it became available and sadly, now suffers from post-polio syndrome.

First thing I saw this morning on my news feed is the bridge collapse in Baltimore - oh my gosh, how awful!  The latest is that it is still a search and rescue, but realistically the water and air temperatures are such that any chance of finding anyone alive are exceedingly slim.  Prayers for all involved, the victims and the first responders who will do their utmost to find people.  

It's a cool one again this morning; although the sun is shining, we have a strong wind bringing the wind chill factor to -25C (-13F).  For what it's worth, we heard a crow the other day, and DH said yesterday he heard the finches back in the spruce tree beside our bedroom.  Better remember to fill the feeders so they have something to keep themselves warm over the next week or so until the temperatures smarten up.  Spring on the "frozen tundra" is like that.

@kazuthank you for your beautiful photos of Maverick - what a gorgeous creature he was.  I can see why you loved him so much.

@Seasick SailorI'm sorry Allen's test results weren't great yesterday; prayers for better health to come his way soon.  He's just so fortunate to have you as his wife and health advocate.

Extending Happy Anniversary wishes to @LAFFNVEGASLisa and Tom as they celebrate 47 years of marriage today!

Today will be spent with a little more tidying up around the house, getting it ready for the family's arrival later in the week.  I'm also going to pack up and deliver the blankets I've made over the past couple of months; I haven't counted them yet, but I'm thinking there are at least 25 in this bunch.  I've always got one on the go so I have something to do while watching TV in the evenings.

I'd like to try the drink of the day - I think it would be quite refreshing.  The wine?  Yikes!  Sure, if someone offered me a glass I'd take it, but unless I win the lottery, there won't be a bottle sitting at our table any time soon.  Not sure about the menu suggestion, as it looks like a lot of work just for the 2 of us; I'm all about fast and easy.  While making some space in the freezer the other day I found a container of beef stew that is currently thawing in the fridge and will be heated up for us to enjoy with some fresh-bought crusty buns at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in pain, in grief, and in turmoil.  Cheers to all with celebrations happening today.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️
Gerry 

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Good morning Dailyites from a 43 degree morning warming to 66.

What tragic news for Baltimore. Praying everyone was found.

Prayers lifted for so many the past few months. I'm worried about the hundreds of got-a-ways that came over our borders, whereabouts unknown. I think of the starving people of Gaza, people losing their homes due to casualties of war. I pray for my sweet husband and hope he's able to improve soon. He is also diabetic (2) and his numbers are high. We are trying a new routine with less fruit in the morning and more vegetables with a small protein. Hoping he's approved for Jardiance and he's able to improve. Hoping his lab results come through today. 

I mentioned I put a new patio table together this past week and it's much larger and sturdier. My girlfriend wanted the old table, so I strapped it on Elvis with bungee cords and drove it over to her house looking like Granny Clampett. 

Jacqui the pictures of Maverick are so sweet. Thankful he was a gentle giant for you. 

Today I want to go to the nursery. I noticed tomato plants out (this early!) I can baby them along before I put them in their summer pots. Our cilantro is growing like a weed. (Lol)

Although Debbie's recipes for today look great, I am making chicken cacciatore with roasted Brussels sprouts for dinner.

Thinking of all our friends here on the Daily. Have a blessed day!

image.png.bc396529d2e465d259f2d4ff90b9f3c6.png

image.png.b678341fdd9bf59781335c17c9a6faf7.png

image.png.1a547ffca111193ee6972029e7ac87b4.png

image.png.7a667dc29656afe70fed6079536eaa76.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4

Good morning and thanks for our Fleet Report and Daily.  It's hard to even post today with the sad news of the Maryland Bridge and as @smitty34877Terry mentioned, the death of the young police officer in New York.  Very sad days lately.  @kazu Jacqui, good day for your pictures of Maverick.  Some heart-warming is most welcome.  I hope your PT was helpful yesterday.

At home here it's a mixed bag.  On one hand, HAL did an excellent and timely job of moving six major Japan excursions over to new dates on our itinerary.  I'm sure it was a mad scramble to get the tours set up and to move over everyone who had booked excursions -- many of us a very long time ago.  Great job, HAL.

On the other hand...DGD has spots all over that look like chicken pox, yet she's fully vaccinated.  We're waiting to hear what the doctor has to say.  Sure look like chicken pox to me.  And DH has his cardiology appointment this morning.  They are tracking the size of a heart aneurysm.  It's always a worry.  @Seasick SailorJoy, I'm sorry your DH didn't get a better report.  

Plenty to pray about these days, but plenty to be thankful for, too.

I hope everyone here has a pleasant and peaceful day.

Maxine 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, rafinmd said:

A devastating morning in Baltimore with the collapse of one of our major bridges.  A support on the Francis Scott Key Bridge was struck by a freighter about 1:30AM causing the bridge to collapse within seconds.  The wreckage will block access to the inner harbor including our cruise terminal.  It is believed that about 20 souls were on the bridge at the time and probably lost.

Roy

I saw the news report and video. It is horrible. Prayers for them and their families and friends. 🙏

Is there an alternative for cruise ships?

• Like 14

9 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

I saw the news report and video. It is horrible. Prayers for them and their families and friends. 🙏

Is there an alternative for cruise ships?

The closest one is probably New York.

Roy

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Diabetes and epilepsy require education and awareness. Long line of diabetics in my family, so I monitor it closely and feel for those impacted by it.

Would enjoy the meal so long as it's light on the cottage cheese, yes to the drink and wine, not been to the port.

Big day in history. 

Dr says insurance declined the Rx (gabapentin) because they don't approve of the dosage - he wants 9/day, they say 6/day. Timing of the notice is interesting as it's for epilepsy but written off-label for tremors.

Currently 46° headed to sunny 61°. 

Prayers 🙏 and positive thoughts for all. 

20240326_101923.thumb.jpg.3108d98c87120d2595f704cc17fe89d2.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 10

Greetings from Quartzsite.  The collapse of the Francis Scott Key Bridge is horrific.  Our condolences to the families and friends of those killed in the collapse.  I watched the video Marcia @dobiemom provided the link to, and could not believe how quickly the bridge collapsed.  Our condolences also to the family, friends and colleagues of the NYC policeman killed this morning.

We have another sunny day with 6 mph winds and a current temperature of 56F.  The predicted high is 72F with 10mph winds.  It will be a good day to load more things on the motorhome.  Today will likely be the food in the pantry and refrigerator we'll not need before we leave.

Diabetes and epilepsy are two diseases that more people need to be aware of and what damage they can do if not treated.  By coincidence, I have on a purple shirt today.  Live Long and Prosper Day is celebrated on Leonard Nimoy's birthday.

The Rabindranath Tagore quote is a good one and is true.

While lasagna roll ups sound good, I'd prefer them with ricotta; however, I won't be making them today since we are working on eating what is in the freezer, including lasagna.  The drink sounds like one I'd try on a BHB if I remembered it, and the wine sounds nice, but not the price.

We visited Saipan in 2005 on a cruise to the island of the Pacific Theater in WWII.

The introduction of the Salk vaccine was the breakthrough needed to conquer polio, and the vaccine was given to all the students in my town's school system unless the parents objected.  I doubt many did because polio was so devastating. I had a classmate and friend who died a few years ago from post polio complications.

@RedneckBob  RNB, thanks for the sunrise and rainbow pictures.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I'm glad your DD arrived safely at your DGD's.

@MISTER 67  Thank you for the pictures of the Skyway bridge collapse, another horrific accident that I remember.

@Denise T  Denise, I'm glad you do the hard work to keep your blood sugar under control.  I'm sorry you lost your DB to this disease.

@marshhawk  Annie, I hope the neurologist can help with the pain in you arm.  I hope the new pain meds help your DH be more comfortable and as pain free as possible.

@cat shepard  Ann, I'm glad you sister had such a great birthday, and was able to drive yesterday.  The last meme could also apply to the Alaskan mosquitoes, which some say is the state bird.  😁

@kazu  Jacqui, thank you for sharing the pictures of your gentle giant, Maverick.  He was a beautiful dog.

@ottahand7  Nancy, I hope you get your errands run before the wind gets too high.

@AncientWanderer  Maxine, that is good news about HAL moving the shore excursions.  I'm sorry your DGD is ill and seems to have the chicken pox.  Since she's vaccinated, I hope the case is mild if that is what she has.  I hope the news from your DH's cardiac appointment is good.

433857017_7409133442539875_5920656095703196532_n.jpg.620842759748a4868fd5dbb3858545f3.jpg

434045310_1584515252403350_9222266611948100149_n.thumb.jpg.82a0f39adbf67c87b4a8ddae74cc09e9.jpg

434056701_405846258702376_2323033234512138794_n.jpg.e5725d3e0e1c0c4264a13c9c8f2b8421.jpg

434078638_1825551314626205_3574489508487429558_n.jpg.dc56d4f41a84274503afa0b678df718a.jpg

434254343_257314317455004_8534245905737887134_n.jpg.54bb5a52e7b3c1eae66f641148768ab5.jpg

434380850_378040745146600_5670724053966725421_n.jpg.8fb8cf1a20827162a89ef242e8ec38eb.jpg

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 11

We were in Saipan in 2005 on the Pacific Princess cruise of the Islands of the Pacific Theater.  That was the day we flew to Tinian, but we still had time to tour Saipan.  We stopped at the Hard Rock Cafe for t-shirts, but no pictures.  My pictures center more on the battle for Saipan in 1944.

American Memorial Park

image.thumb.png.167eed2eaebdddf8b7aa745417123791.png

IMG_4971.thumb.JPG.513eb516bbb487bb005c91a4291c803f.JPG

IMG_4972.thumb.JPG.a1c5cc60273f38c99a4e54d10ac17653.JPG

I believe these are Suicide Cliff and Banzai Cliff, where about 1000 Japanese jumped to their deaths rather than be captured by the American forces.  I am not sure which is which.

IMG_4976.thumb.JPG.77abc234cf016857d4b26452efb780de.JPG

IMG_4977.thumb.JPG.3124252650e702941674a62cd39e0d41.JPG

Japanese memorials on top of the cliffs

IMG_4981.thumb.JPG.d473ce7aa76e18edf7afb0048b4d00bf.JPG

IMG_4980.thumb.JPG.f774dc1420846146f3db987b5c594809.JPG

The last Japanese Command Post from the cliff top and from ground level.  The sea spray has not been kind to the military equipment left behind.

IMG_4982.thumb.JPG.0e678296737122cf402b4488b94e0999.JPG

IMG_5004.thumb.JPG.2303d1fe5965f6543ccd911742ed5442.JPG

IMG_4997.thumb.JPG.843b9a767691f6506423c3538ba5af72.JPG

IMG_4999.thumb.JPG.23e18f223680d04c004cff7ff35ae85f.JPG

Suicide Cliff Monument

IMG_4990.thumb.JPG.6f09a37d7b39581496b09bcb536b1c57.JPG

Bird Island, a bird observatory 

IMG_4994.thumb.JPG.36b0570280f7fb61e40aebbe0f28ea7e.JPG

Some pretty flowers along the road

IMG_5007.thumb.JPG.e18ba070b20518e8ed3b0bcc74c68eca.JPG

Lenda

• Like 16
  • Thanks 9

The day in Saipan, three of us took the small commuter plane to Tinian and rented a car to tour the island before returning to Saipan and touring that island.

This picture shows the four runways used by the US after taking the island from Japan.

IMG_4838.thumb.JPG.29494805a7807636587a97c92d34e751.JPG

A plaque remembering those who died in the invasion of Tinian 

IMG_4883.thumb.JPG.6774064a442d7f3abf3fcc0b0a258f76.JPG

A monument to the 509 composite group, and a sign about the 509 Composite Group and another about the runways.  Runway Able is the best preserved.

IMG_4864.thumb.JPG.7b174baa54cff85989e4cae691658eb2.JPG

IMG_4862.thumb.JPG.c4df7154dc6a3e8a535755f0cda05c92.JPG

IMG_4866.thumb.JPG.1107092482d7d86a7a22491f13da42d9.JPG

One of the pits used to load the bombs on Enola Gay and Bockscar.  The bombs were too heavy to load normally.  There was a hydraulic piston in the bottom of the pits to raise the bomb after the plane was parked above the pit.

IMG_4915.thumb.JPG.6c72cc42c3921ada71b43f9c9121f8bb.JPG

IMG_4919.thumb.JPG.f5fbce8e8d6554d62982c16ec39b4b61.JPG

There were the ruins of many buildings used by the Japanese that are preserved in the National Park along with old air plane engines and parts.  There is a cave that contains rusting fuel drums, where we could stand in the entrance.

IMG_4908.thumb.JPG.85cf14bff1ff02703a488d58714a0b82.JPG

IMG_4952.thumb.JPG.883171b9e6bf7c6f6564dd2d6757d864.JPG

On the other end of the island is a casino and resort that caters to Japanese tourists.

IMG_4959.thumb.JPG.29c68934f20a77c738a20e5c1e75f8e6.JPG

IMG_4954.thumb.JPG.928bd96d4a99a0cd09cd64134546b152.JPG

Our visit to Tinian and Saipan was a very interesting and moving experience.

Lenda

• Like 16
  • Thanks 11

For the 1976 election I was a precinct sheriff in Indiana, which has quaint names for the poll workers. The sheriff's job is to keep order, especially to prevent electioneering inside the precinct and a certain distance outside. My colleague from the other party, perhaps because starting work at 6:00 a.m. had affected his medication schedule, had a seizure and had to rest for a while. During that time I had to eject a would-be campaigner from my own party.

The other precinct workers were the clerks, who handled the voter lists; judges, who pushed the button on the side of the voting machine that allowed the next person to vote (easy at a general election, but in a primary it required care to press the button for the correct party), and the inspector, the person in charge. There were pairs from opposing parties for all the jobs except inspector, who would be from the majority party in the precinct. I had that job a few years later and had to go outside at 6:00 a.m. and p.m. and announce in a loud voice, "Hear ye, hear ye, the polls are open/closed!"

The Jewish practice of mussar teaches that our purpose is to be of service to others, and tried to develop personal qualities that help that.

I suppose that the lasagna roll-ups could be made with lactose-free cottage cheese, but I wouldn't bother. The drink would be OK, maybe only once. For a Bordeaux blend, maybe Hector Wine Company's 2020 Essence, at $30.00. It's from Sawmill Creek, the warmest microclimate in the Finger Lakes.

Do these count as "in flower"? My garden is in a microclimate that is colder than the average for this region.

daffs2024.JPG.8b61b9dbd1234f68ad35755dcefd881d.JPG

I have a webinar in ten minutes. I'm undecided about the rest of the afternoon.

nudistcamp.thumb.jpg.f33e5fcc60d26e7b2402b956763ce738.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 12