The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday March 26th, 2024

kazu

@ger_77Thanks for sharing your blanket pictures!  They are beautiful! 🤗 Do you have Project Linus in Canada?  Our quilt group gives to them. They go to children in need, sick or otherwise in trauma.  Our  7 year old DGD made a quilt top.   Grandma is finishing it...she asked if it could go to a child that doesn't have a blanket!🥰

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I'll salute Diabetes Alert Day, having worked with people with diabetes for many years. Epilepsy awareness is important. I hope all live long and prosper (said in my best Spock voice). Great quote. I like the meal, maybe on the drink, and I can't afford the wine. I haven't been to Saipan. Dr. Salk was at the University of Pittsburgh from 1947-1954. I have older nurse acquaintances who worked with him as the vaccine started being given in clinical trials.

It's cloudy and has been raining all day. I, like many of you, woke up to the news of the terrible Baltimore bridge collapse. It sounds like the one positive is that the crew of the container ship gave a mayday and traffic was halted immediately. It looks like power went out on the ship right before the crash. Reportedly they dropped anchor too. Prayers for those lost and their families, as well as the tireless work of the first responders. 

I had a restless night and got about 3.5 hours of sleep. I'm just back from PT. I couldn't do any standing exercises due to pain, but tried to do everything else. I hope I can hang in there until surgery.

@RedneckBob Enjoy your cruise and thanks for the photos.

@StLouisCruisers I'm glad made it safely to Clearwater and had a nice dinner with Morgan and her boyfriend.

@marshhawk I hope the new pain med will help DH and that the Neurologist has some options for your arm pain.

@cat shepard Very good news about your Sister's increased activity. 

@smitty34877 So sad to hear of another senseless death of a police officer. 

@kazu Wonderful photos of Maverick. I hope Ivan gets some relief after his shot today. 

@Seasick Sailor I hope Allen gets approved for the medication, and that his lab work improves.

@AncientWanderer Prayers for DGD's  scarlet fever and for your DH's issue with a heart aneurysm. 

@Haljo1935 My insurance also says my 7/day Gabapentin is over their quantity limit. So I use GoodRx and don't go through the insurance. I'm getting 630 capsules for 90 days and it's about $38 with GoodRx.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Great Saipan and Tinian photos.

@kochleffel I have a mental picture of you announcing "Hear ye, Hear ye"!

@Vict0riann Good news that the fracture is minor, and i hope DD behaves. I hope Pat's appointment is uneventful.

@rafinmd Beautiful sunrise. A symbol of hope.

@LAFFNVEGAS Happy Anniversary!

@0106 Thanks for the information.

@ger_77 Wow, on all the beautiful blankets!

@bennybear Great photos of the bluebird.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating.

In honor of Live Long and Prosper Day, a photo of me and Leonard Nimoy taken many years ago.

LeonardNimoyandMe.thumb.jpg.7cd46c37e14a9b0ca79fed3d9da3f16c.jpg

Vanessa, I'm sorry you did not have a good night's sleep.  I'm glad you are doing what you can at PT to build up strength before your surgery.  BTW, there are some other site that offer discounts on prescriptions besides GoodRx.  Singlecare is the one that comes to mind.  Great picture of you and Leonard Nimoy.  Thanks for the nice comment about my pictures.

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Interesting photos and descriptions Lenda.

Thank you, Graham.

46 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good afternoon and such a sad news Tuesday. Reading about the bridge collapse was heartbreaking. Prayers for those souls. 

I had a gastroenterologist appointment this morning which took me 9 months to get. Of course I’m overdue for “that” exam so have that on my calendar for the Tuesday after Mother‘s day. I explained my reaction of severe nausea I had to anesthesia during my cataract surgery and found out that they automatically give anti nausea during sedation. Yay. 

We were going to go out for lunch but decided to get takeout instead. Same restaurant but just need to reheat the pizza. Good thing we did because Blue had had an accident and it didn’t look good, like he’d been really sick. Not sure what happened but I did decide to delay his lunch so that might have been an issue. I have him on special food for his tummy so I might need to check with our vet. 

Maxine, I’m glad she was diagnosed so quickly and will be starting a new antibiotic. I was going to suggest possible 5th disease. I hope she recovers quickly. 

Have a great day everyone!

Sharon, I hope Blue is all right now.

20 minutes ago, quilty964 said:

@ger_77Thanks for sharing your blanket pictures!  They are beautiful! 🤗 Do you have Project Linus in Canada?  Our quilt group gives to them. They go to children in need, sick or otherwise in trauma.  Our  7 year old DGD made a quilt top.   Grandma is finishing it...she asked if it could go to a child that doesn't have a blanket!🥰

How nice of you DGD to want to give the quilt to a child that doesn't have a blanket.

Everything that can go into the motorhome refrigerator until we put the last minutes things in are now in it, and the freezer is full.  Everything from the pantry that I won't need this week has also be taken to the motorhome.  The small refrigerator in the storage building is empty, cleaned and the extension cord to it is put away.  The other things that DH and I were going to do today, will be done tomorrow since there's not much else to load until just before we leave.

The remainder of the afternoon will be spent in a warm spot on the south patio with my book.

Lenda

• Like 17

The Carnival Legend will be disembarking passengers in Norfolk and busing them to Baltimore according to WBAL.  Carnival has a presence in Norfolk.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 7

3 hours ago, kazu said:

For crying out loud, if the doctor says you need 9, you need 9.  when did insurance companies become doctors??  😡 

You'd be really surprised, Jacqui.  Insurance companies here play doctor all the time.  They decide if you can have an MRI or a CT.  They decide how many PT appointments you can have.  They decide if you can have the knee replacement surgery.  All without ever laying eyes on you, let alone examining you or your films.  The Cleveland Clinic has a whole department dedicated to appealing insurance company denials for service. 

3 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

DD took little DGD Coco to the doctor.  It's not chicken pox; it's scarlet fever.  She was recently treated for strep throat and is still testing positive for it, so now it's into scarlet fever.  They put her on a different antibiotic.  

I haven't heard of anyone having scarlet fever for years.  It's upsetting.

Oh, my goodness!  You never hear of that anymore and it is no surprise that you didn't think of it.  

@Quartzsite Cruiser So you got loaded again today?  Is this a regular habit?

@ger_77 Beautiful blankets.  I'm sure the kids who receive them really like them.

@Vict0riann I sure hope you can go on your cruise!

@kazu Your pictures of Maverick reminded me of my sister's Moose except he was pure black.  He was the same size and thought he was a lap dog.  He loved kids and would immediately get down so they could come over and pet him.  Once he ran away from home. My sister found him a block over playing with some kids.  She had to drag him out as he wouldn't come when she called.  He was enjoying the kids too much.  

Today was a good day.  We went to the butterfly exhibit and held butterflies.  Then we went to the canopy walk and enjoyed walking among the tree tops.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

Good evening It was a beautiful sunny day. Showers are coming tomorrow .

The bridge collapse in Baltimore is so devastating. Prayers for recovery and closure for the victims. Thank goodness the road was closed in time to avoid even more deaths.

I can’t imagine the stress In Carnival and Royal Caribbean headquarters trying to come up with a solution. It’s approximately 4 hours drive to Norfolk.

Blessings and prayers to all on our journey.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dfish said:

You'd be really surprised, Jacqui.  Insurance companies here play doctor all the time.  They decide if you can have an MRI or a CT.  They decide how many PT appointments you can have.  They decide if you can have the knee replacement surgery.  All without ever laying eyes on you, let alone examining you or your films.  The Cleveland Clinic has a whole department dedicated to appealing insurance company denials for service. 

Oh, my goodness!  You never hear of that anymore and it is no surprise that you didn't think of it.  

@Quartzsite Cruiser So you got loaded again today?  Is this a regular habit?

@ger_77 Beautiful blankets.  I'm sure the kids who receive them really like them.

@Vict0riann I sure hope you can go on your cruise!

@kazu Your pictures of Maverick reminded me of my sister's Moose except he was pure black.  He was the same size and thought he was a lap dog.  He loved kids and would immediately get down so they could come over and pet him.  Once he ran away from home. My sister found him a block over playing with some kids.  She had to drag him out as he wouldn't come when she called.  He was enjoying the kids too much.  

Today was a good day.  We went to the butterfly exhibit and held butterflies.  Then we went to the canopy walk and enjoyed walking among the tree tops.

Debbie, a glass or two of wine are pretty much a nightly habit, but I hope loading the motorhome is just an occasional chore.  At least, this time I can spread the chore over several day.  I'm glad you made it to the butterfly exhibit and the canopy walk.  There was a lovely butterfly exhibit that older DD and I visited while we waited to pick her sister up from school.

52 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

The remaining 6 workers are now officially presumed dead.  Rest in Peace.

Roy

Roy, while not unexpected, it is sad that the six workers are officially presumed dead.  May they rest in peace.  Our condolences to their families, friends and co-workers.

Lenda

• Like 8

6 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

DD took little DGD Coco to the doctor.  It's not chicken pox; it's scarlet fever.  She was recently treated for strep throat and is still testing positive for it, so now it's into scarlet fever.  They put her on a different antibiotic.  

I haven't heard of anyone having scarlet fever for years.  It's upsetting.

DD had scarlet fever, after strep throat when she was 20. About 20 years ago. GP hadn't seen a case in years.

Thankfully she responded quickly to antibiotics. I hope Coco does too.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Our tour yesterday of Da Nang was an eye opener. Lot of changes since 1969. Skyscrapers, beach resorts, development but some things remain. Poverty with average monthly salary $300.00 sees folks working hard to exist

All that remains of Da Nang Air Base was  some concrete hangers and maybe what was the control tower. At one time the busiest air field in the world. Gunfighter City and life there is just another chapter in my life.

Still on meds for sinus cold but past spreading it around and not coughing. Still some stuffiness.

Today we are at sea on our way for a two day stop in Hi Chi Ming city. On day two we are flying to Angkor Wat, Cambodia and will rejoin ship in Bangkok.

Enjoy the rest of your day. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.be4647476bbb686f08eaf05aa45ba20f.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f82e32b11d7764326aa1fac18dfff6f4.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a3b9121ea5d94decf4c02de09b5b3d6c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.8870c2b44c450b2ffb461474eb50bdc2.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.26b39c43c58d8dd7a4111d6de30a3828.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.aba1ef9120fbee304d4d5dbe87476c37.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.15e53325773bf2d8a799c00c2ed64726.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.6fec605d5ae5b33c9fd8994727a247fb.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.2ed93402f21f195e1907f58ff44942e1.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

Good evening, and thanks for all the posts, everyone.

About insurance and medical care, @kazuand @dfish: heard a story today about a woman whose child was airlifted, ordered by a doctor, for immediate need. The insurance company said it was unnecessary medical help and refused to pay. She got a bill for $96,000.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Vanessa, I'm sorry you did not have a good night's sleep.  I'm glad you are doing what you can at PT to build up strength before your surgery.  BTW, there are some other site that offer discounts on prescriptions besides GoodRx.  Singlecare is the one that comes to mind.  Great picture of you and Leonard Nimoy.  Thanks for the nice comment about my pictures.

Thank you, Graham.

Sharon, I hope Blue is all right now.

How nice of you DGD to want to give the quilt to a child that doesn't have a blanket.

Everything that can go into the motorhome refrigerator until we put the last minutes things in are now in it, and the freezer is full.  Everything from the pantry that I won't need this week has also be taken to the motorhome.  The small refrigerator in the storage building is empty, cleaned and the extension cord to it is put away.  The other things that DH and I were going to do today, will be done tomorrow since there's not much else to load until just before we leave.

The remainder of the afternoon will be spent in a warm spot on the south patio with my book.

Lenda

Thank you Lenda, Blue seems to be over whatever caused his digestive system problem and ate lunch and dinner like nothing happened. I’m thinking that delaying feeding him might have been the issue even though it was only an hour late. 

It sounds like you are almost ready to leave for Texas. Are you leaving this weekend?

Debbie @dfish, I missed the discussion last week about itchy skin. I have used CeraVe before but really prefer Aveno. It seems to work better for my itchy skin and it has oatmeal which helps too. If it’s really bad I have to use my steroid creams. 

So very sad about the loss of life from the bridge collapse. Prayers for their families. Roy @rafinmd, I’m sure the mood in Baltimore is somber. 😔

• Like 11

22 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

Good evening, and thanks for all the posts, everyone.

About insurance and medical care, @kazuand @dfish: heard a story today about a woman whose child was airlifted, ordered by a doctor, for immediate need. The insurance company said it was unnecessary medical help and refused to pay. She got a bill for $96,000.

Where's my angry button?  My nephew and niece in law got hit with a huge bill like that when their daughter was airlifted from Traverse City to Ann Arbor due to burn injuries.  Rarely are air services like that in "network".  Insurance paid a pittance and the company balance billed for the rest.  

@Quartzsite Cruiser I rarely have a glass of wine at home.  That is a cruise activity for me.  I think because I have to get up early every morning.  If I have wine with dinner, I am fine.  If I just have wine at night, I feel it the whole next day, even if it is only one glass.  

@Sharon in AZ I like Aveeno as well.  

We had another melt down here tonight.  It was caused by having to go to bed.  

• Like 10

23 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Thank you Lenda, Blue seems to be over whatever caused his digestive system problem and ate lunch and dinner like nothing happened. I’m thinking that delaying feeding him might have been the issue even though it was only an hour late. 

It sounds like you are almost ready to leave for Texas. Are you leaving this weekend?

Debbie @dfish, I missed the discussion last week about itchy skin. I have used CeraVe before but really prefer Aveno. It seems to work better for my itchy skin and it has oatmeal which helps too. If it’s really bad I have to use my steroid creams. 

So very sad about the loss of life from the bridge collapse. Prayers for their families. Roy @rafinmd, I’m sure the mood in Baltimore is somber. 😔

Sharon, I'm glad Blue is over his upset.  Our plan is to leave next Monday, April 1.

10 minutes ago, dfish said:

Where's my angry button?  My nephew and niece in law got hit with a huge bill like that when their daughter was airlifted from Traverse City to Ann Arbor due to burn injuries.  Rarely are air services like that in "network".  Insurance paid a pittance and the company balance billed for the rest.  

@Quartzsite Cruiser I rarely have a glass of wine at home.  That is a cruise activity for me.  I think because I have to get up early every morning.  If I have wine with dinner, I am fine.  If I just have wine at night, I feel it the whole next day, even if it is only one glass.  

@Sharon in AZ I like Aveeno as well.  

We had another melt down here tonight.  It was caused by having to go to bed.  

Debbie, we usually have a glass or two with dinner.  Unless we're on a cruise, I rarely drink after dinner.  I'm sorry about the meltdown.

Lenda

• Like 8

Good Evening Everyone!

I am glad we have Diabetic Alert Day, it is important to be aware of it.  12 years ago it hit my Grandson.  He had been sick, not eating, just not himself for about 4 days.  His Mom had called me and I asked if she thought he needed to go to hospital, she just thought he had a "bug" as several of his first grade class had been ill (of course it was a 3 day weekend, dr was out of town). 

Tuesday morning she comes walking into the emergency department I was working at, I was the triage nurse and one look across the lobby when she came in I knew we had a very sick boy, sure enough he was in Diabetic Keto Acidosis and very ill!  All the years I had taken care of diabetics in the emergency depart this was a gut punch to Grandma!  He is now a big strapping college freshman who takes time out of his work and school schedule to volunteer at 2-3 summer camps a year for diabetic kids!  Please be aware of increased thirst, increased urination, tiredness, fatigue and let your doctor know.  Get your A1C checked, (especially as we get older.) Diabetes can affect young and old.  Left untreated it can be life threatening!

My prayers go out to the people affected by the bridge collapse in Baltimore.

Denise

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3