The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday May 13th, 2024

Today is Crouton Day, Frog Jumping Day, and Hummus Day

We pass through this world but once. - Stephen Jay Gould

Meal Suggestion for today - Sweet Potato-Black Bean Burgers
Drink of the Day - Bloody Mary
Wine of the Day - 2021 Pinot Blanc, Frey, Rheinhessen
Destination of the Day - Gaspe, Quebec, Canada

Today in History:
1787 Arthur Phillip sets sails with 11 ships of criminals to Botany Bay, Australia

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Juneau, Alaska 13:00 - 22:00

Koningsdam

Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska, Juneau, Alaska 09:00 - 09:30 ,13:00 - 22:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Juneau, Alaska 08:00 - 21:00

Nieuw Statendam

Helsinki, Finland 07:00 - 16:00

Noordam

At Sea Destination Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island Alaska eta 05-14

Oosterdam

Mykonos Island, Greece 08:00 - 18:00

Rotterdam

Leith-Edinburgh, Newhaven-Rosyth-Queensferry, Scotland 08:00 - 17:00

Volendam

Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada 09:00 - 18:00

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 05-14

Zaandam

Ketchikan, Alaska 1100-1900

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Praia da Vitoria, Terceira Island Azores Portugal eta 05-18

0513Atlantic.thumb.png.ea50e41a7624ecf756f5d25dfdaf1f75.png

0513Alaska.thumb.png.e63cc5fa7fd427654955e06dd14ac85f.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 27

Bloody Mary cocktail:

A Bloody Mary is a cocktail containing vodka, tomato juice, and other spices and flavorings including Worcestershire sauce, hot sauces, garlic, herbs, horseradish, celery, olives, salt, black pepper, lemon juice, lime juice and celery salt. Wikipedia
Main alcohol: Vodka
Ingredients: 1 1/2 oz(3 parts) Vodka, 1/2 oz(1 part) Lemon juice, MORE
Preparation: Add dashes of Worcestershire Sauce, Tabasco, salt and pepper into highball glass, then pour all ingredients into highball with ice cubes. Stir gently. Garnish with celery stalk and lemon wedge (optional).
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice.
Standard garnish: Celery stalk or dill pickle spear
Drinkware: Highball glass

Screenshot 2024-05-13 at 6.18.04 AM.png

• Like 12
  • Thanks 23

Posted (edited)

Good morning Dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report.

Welcome back Rich! Thank you Jacqui @kazu for doing the Daily for Rich while he was cruising around the world! 

I hope everyone has a wonderful day! 

2007CPcruise 142.jpg

Edited by seagarsmoker
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 3

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Another cloudy day, chance of showers this afternoon.  We're having some windows replaced today.

Interesting days.  I like croutons and hummus, I haven't seen any frogs so far this year.

I disagree with the quote, I think we come back until we get it right.

I'll pass on the meal and the drink, but I hope I'll like the wine.

Prayers for our world. 

Have a great Monday!

• Like 30
  • Thanks 3

Good morning!!!  Happy Monday!

Thank you for these reports and information!!  I love learning everything new about something, here!!!

I think I'll pass on the burgers...  Being from Texas...  We LOVE our BEEF!!  But...  I know many who will save and savor this meal!!!

And...  I'm one who orders a Bloody Mary without tabasco.  Bartenders tend to put in more heat than this palette can enjoy!

Growing up in northern California...  I know Calaveras and I know Jumping Frogs!!  It's usually the third weekend in May -- so almost here!!  

Have a wonderful day, Dailyites!!!

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you Rich for today's daily reports.

It is sunny and 62°F here at 11.45am.

I am not particularly fond of croutons which are sometimes put in soup.

Never tried Hummus.

Some people believe in reincarnation which dispels today's quote.

I will pass on the food and drink.

I hope everyone had a nice mothering Sunday in Canada and the US and y'all are looking forward to this new week.

Screenshot_20240513_114250.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 18

Good morning friends!  It's 70 with scattered clouds here at sea. Welcome back Rich @richwmn. Thank you Jacqui @kazu and Roy @rafinmd for all your work keeping the Fleet Report and Daily going while Rich was cruising.

I want to thank all of you who posted photos yesterday of your Moms.  It was fun to look back to those days long ago.  Also, I send prayers for all here in need of them, those undergoing surgeries and procedures this week, everyone in pain, and feeling loss of some kind.  Also to my DB, Alex and Jordan's baby boys who I heard yesterday are growing and healthy, and all in Israel and Ukraine.  Still praying we get those hostages back, and for the safety of our troops over there.  Congrats to those celebrating something and having a good time on their cruises.

Yesterday afternoon I meant to go to the Meet & Greet, but we got distracted with the movie "Boys in the Boat" showing on the World Stage and completely forgot!  We did however enjoy the movie and popcorn.  A very tall couple walked in just before the movie started and sat down two seats in front of us and I had to watch the movie missing seeing the lower part of the screen.  Why does this always happen? 🤷‍♀️

We didn't find a good fit for waiter/jr. waiter last night so will try something different tonight.  They found us a table in early seating and we hope to eat earlier (much earlier) with some decent waiters.  Sitting for more than 20 minutes waiting to place food and beverage orders is a big waste of time.  I'm hoping my tummy likes having more time between meals and bedtime, too.

Looking online we think the U17 FC Dallas team tied yesterday but won points in penalty kicks.  No matter what occurred they are doing well.  I hope they're all having fun, too, at the same time.

The port today of Gaspe, Quebec, Canada was the port once before on Aug. 1, 2022.  I'm pretty sure I haven't been there before.  Here is the link for you to retrieve your photos of it.

Have a wonderful day, everyone!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 6

Posted (edited)

Good morning. We are home (ship) and recuperating from our busy overland tour. Rich see your back at the helm steering your successful Daily.

It was a cocktail, dinner and to bed last night. Slept in this morning, had a coffee then a nap. We just enjoyed an Asian Brunch with the usual huge variety of food. I headed to the stir fry station which resulted in a delicious lunch.

The Atlantic is a little churned up today with nine foot seas. We are looking at nine straight sea days before reaching our next port of call in Canary Islands.

Per Captain the Onward has sailed 30,800 miles since leaving Fort Lauderdale.

Our actual Safari time for looking for wildlife was six hours. We saw a lot of species but no real closeups of lions. Saw some lions at a distance where other guest staying at various lodges had some spectacular sighting of big cats. 
The Safari Lodge was a spectacular venue and wish we could have stayed longer and enjoy all the amenities. If your going to do a Safari do at least three days to get the most out of it.

Thanks for the reports and post. Here a few pics from our quick Safari.

Have a great week. Bruce 

image.thumb.jpeg.c16336bd6d4890b6e660fb655321c8a5.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a6d07ebf8d475bc47244bc9bc3f303d2.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.fa315dd44b0fc9f61eab6d8252484523.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e9f2b6517110d0042c32d7e1d152fe59.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.9a35fc37a7b8dfd959fb4f17088e1367.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.117ba45a3df749f37c9620a5a2c6d107.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.fac74ea2cba1a9cf49dc1287b89c7b14.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.34d985a0e15eb5f61e024791e854c19a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e34d5f9a6bab9f262559a473e6f4cc30.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.680cabc5ca74753e8fae32d77b68ef85.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.df6d17ab241704d724ef1bd6fd383906.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b7535e59598deabd139adef002f364ed.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.895e39278cd1e85469fe26876f6b383b.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.4ebcd68bc8a8061ff2024dfcb8c2b399.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.6c0d6c35ffc677698a395bdb3163c3f4.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5415c16d167e7151fdb8b378da73ac7c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.95be0f5d46c47a567a1af77190f8e425.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.09ea25a037507f89daf4ab1dcefe5d10.jpeg

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 14

Today’s Care List:

Nickelpenny having back surgery today

RMLincoln’s DH’s eye check up today

JazzyV’s BFF with a fall and sustaining a tib-fib fracture, surgery 5/17

Kazu with a foot infection and pain

Victims of flooding and storms across the country

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues

Cruising-along’s BFF’s DIL Amber with a stroke, now in rehab

Kazu with foot infection and having foot pain

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

RMLincoln’s DH with eye improvement on last evaluation

Rich starting up the Fleet Report/Daily again

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

YourWorldWithBill (Nieuw Statendam to May 18) 13d Jewels of the Baltic, MISTER 67 (Enchanted Princess to May 18) 7 Night Eastern Caribbean with St. Thomas, Niagarawine (Koningsdam to May 18) 7d Alaska Inside Passage, Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage), and StLouisCruisers (Zuiderdam to June 8 ) 28d Passage to Normandy & Baltic Jewels + Zuiderdam (June 8 to July 20) 42d Ultimate Viking Explorer & Passage

• Like 17
  • Thanks 24

A pass on meal and drink.   Not sure about wine.   Was to Gaspe in June 2017 aboard Ocean Endeavour.   Canada was then preparing to celebrate its 150th birthday a few days later.  Great day at Forillon National park and amongst the cliffs.  
image.thumb.jpeg.b436741dda8327942eaad5e7bb28fed1.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f450897b89f7f34b1a1ae4e97d7fa40f.jpeg

Great wildlife watching that day, too (porcupines in the trees at Forillon, birds, seals, spring flowers).

• Like 31
  • Thanks 4

Welcome back, Rich! Thank you for setting things up so smoothly that Jacqui, Roy & Sandi could carry on while you were on your magnificent journey! I enjoyed following your “blog”.

Jacqui, Roy & Sandi - thank you for making sure we didn’t skip a beat while Rich was gone. I really appreciate it. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with all of us! Hope all goes smoothly for BFF this week. 

Not sure what to expect for weather today. A bit of a marine layer. If it burns off, it should be a beautiful day! Gym, Bindi walks, chores, a couple small repair jobs and maybe a dip in the pool. 

Imagine seeing this in your rear view mirror!

IMG_2752.jpeg.7d7141f4afc9d4f01b6414c141645abd.jpeg

IMG_2821.jpeg.efa86e35c7716393beab21be5a34e4e4.jpeg

IMG_2751.jpeg.eb863a57ef8acea4fa6c61129b5840e2.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. 

May we each find a reason to smile today!

2021 Pinot Blanc, Frey, Rheinhessen

This lovely German white has a lot of consumer fans, is reasonably priced and has a decent number of distributors. I bet I would enjoy this one on a hot summer day. Online prices start at $15.99.

Distributor’s notes

Another organic wine, this from Rheinhessen and the village of Ober-Flörsheim. Fermentation is spontaneous with ambient yeasts, 90% in stainless steel and 10% in French oak. Just a touch of residual sugar here at 4.9g/l. Pale green in colour, soft, ripe, apple and ogen melon aromas are smoothed even more by a touch of custard and almond. In the mouth the sweetness combines with ripe fruit to make this mouth-filling, and quite weighty with the creaminess of the oak. The acidity sparks into life, nicely balancing the hint of sweetness. I guess you could say it's in a broadly Alsace style, and is quite delicious.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 11
  • Haha 6

Happy Monday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

I would try the meal of the day. I am not a big fan of Bloody Mary's. I will be sailing past Gaspe in October heading for Prince Edward Island. 

Starting a busy week. May have overscheduled for tomorrow. We shall see. Supposed to have better weather today. 

Thinking of all on the care list.

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

67+ Monday Memes: Be Ready To Fall About Laughing - BayArt

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich, Jacqui, Vanessa, Ann, Debbie, and Dixie.  .Welcome back Rich.  Three interesting days to celebrate.

Since we only pass through this world once, we should make the most of it.

I have not been to the port of Gaspe, although I have been to the beautiful Gaspe Peninsula, I have been to Perce, 62km away.  I was surprised to see that the highway connecting them begins at Perce and continues within a stone’s throw of where my father was born, ending in Fort Covington, New York.

A sad day for the people under the command of Arthur Phillip..

I’ll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Apple and Pear Gazpacho with Passion Fruit Sorbet, Oven Roasted Beef Ternderloin with Button Mushrooms, and Key Lime and White Chocolate Tart, the Mariner Brunch served on MS Veendam May 18, 2017.

beef.jpg

The second Monday is usually a very busy day for me with both a church finance meeting and fire department board meeting.

Roy

• Like 36
  • Thanks 1

Good morning to all.

Happy Monday. 

Thank you to Jacqui, Roy and Vanessa to keep the thread going.

Thank you to Debbie, Ann and Dixie for keeping us fed and hydrated.

And last, but not least, thank you to Graham for the explanation of the days.

The days are interesting, but not worth celebrations.  

The quote is noteworthy and something we should all live by.

I like Bloody Marys but on the mild side.

Will pass on the meal and the wine.

I have not been to Gaspe.

Don’t have too much on the agenda today.  Getting my nails done and stopping for some groceries on the way home.  Then tackling some bills.  

I enjoyed seeing photos of everyone’s Mothers yesterday. Thank you.

Hope everyone had a lovely Mother’s Day yesterday,

Welcome home @richwmn.  

Have a great day.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, everyone!

We had some thunder bumpers roll through last night that woke me up.  I had a hard time getting back to sleep after that.  Good news is that the flowers got watered.  I did get the borders on the quilt and today I will drop it off for quilting. I have to clean the patio off again.  There is a tree that is dropping so many little seed pods that you'd think it was snowing.  The chipmunks are in 7th heaven with them.  

I am with @LambKnuckles on today's meal.  If I am having a burger, I want the real thing.  Remember the commercial, "Where's the beef?"   That would be my question.  However, these do look tasty.  https://minimalistbaker.com/sweet-potato-black-bean-burger/

sweetpotatoblackbeanburger1.thumb.jpg.55d0101d6bc4846bed1980be57c8e008.jpg

This one uses oats instead of rice.  I like the sound of the sriracha mayo.  https://www.noracooks.com/easy-sweet-potato-black-bean-burgers/

sweetpotatoblackbeanburger2.thumb.jpg.fb76735d50b006307ee08e028abb45d2.jpg

This one has some green stuff in it.  My only concern with these is that they can get pretty dry.  One sister was into a kick once where she wouldn't eat, buy, or serve meat, and all you got were bean burgers.  Some of them were like eating hockey pucks.  https://thenaturalnurturer.com/black-bean-sweet-potato-veggie-burgers-vegan/

sweetpotatoblackbeanburger3.thumb.jpg.66c67a9b9329092d9fcc748768400d75.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 16

Good morning. It is a nice sunny day with the temperatures going up to the high sixties. I have not been to the port. I will celebrate jumping frogs and usually make my own croutons and hummus.The recipe interests me as everyone here likes the two main ingredients. It was a sad day in history for the individuals on the eleven ships to Australia.

@Nickelpenny, Pennie, my thoughts are with you today as you undergo surgery. I hope your pain is relieved.

@RMLincoln, Maureen, I hope the eye check up for DH goes well.

@JazzyV, I hope it is not too difficult to get BFF to the doctor today. 
@kazu,  Jacqui, I hope things are improving for you.

The pictures of the moms yesterday were wonderful.Thanks to all. I sent DS the picture of my elders and his children loved seeing it. Nice memories.

i found myself a little sad yesterday as I remembered my DH always making sure Mother’s Day was special for me. Everyone here was great and we had a nice day . My brother and sister-in-law law left this morning after breakfast. I will miss them as they so helpful and low key.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good morning to all.

Happy Monday. 

Thank you to Jacqui, Roy and Vanessa to keep the thread going.

Thank you to Debbie, Ann and Dixie for keeping us fed and hydrated.

And last, but not least, thank you to Graham for the explanation of the days.

The days are interesting, but not worth celebrations.  

The quote is noteworthy and something we should all live by.

I like Bloody Marys but on the mild side.

Will pass on the meal and the wine.

I have not been to Gaspe.

Don’t have too much on the agenda today.  Getting my nails done and stopping for some groceries on the way home.  Then tackling some bills.  

I enjoyed seeing photos of everyone’s Mothers yesterday. Thank you.

Hope everyone had a lovely Mother’s Day yesterday,

Welcome home @richwmn.  

Have a great day.

God Bless,

Terri

Thank you for your kind words Terri and I hope you are well.

I never know what the days are going to be until Rich post's the days daily but fortunately I am several hours ahead of most posters so I am usually one of the first posters to post and have time to study any unusual days first that I don't know before I post them here.

Graham.

• Like 22

Welcome back Rich. I enjoyed your trip thread very much. Thanks to @kazu @StLouisCruisers and @rafinmd for filling in while you were cruising, what a great group we have.

i am looking forward to gaspe pictures since we plan a road trip there this summer.

we had a lovely day yesterday, sunshine, just warm enough. And everyone was able to make it. All 4 grandchildren were there. Plus we met our oldest DGS’s girlfriend for the first time. Bonus.

my cousin and her husband who live in Quebec are here for another day and my sister and brother-in-law will join us for lunch. Will be lots of sharing of old memories!

prayers for those that need them and a celebratory shout out to cruisers and others celebrating.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

Good Monday Morning Dailyites!  ITs cloudy, 63 degrees and when i took the cat food out to the strays, it was raining, just a bit.  But only one stray showed up.  I guess he gets to eat 4 plates of food.

We took Donna out for lunch yesterday at her favorite Mexican restaurant.  She gave me a lovely flower  pin (she said it was from the cats) and another pin from the dog for mothers day.  How sweet.

Yesterday with Donna, (so there was a lot of supervision) we decided to let the kittens out of the box, and let them wander around on the porch.  When we took the first one out, Momma cat freaked out, then we took another one out, and then the third, and momma cat was going bonkers, and when we took the littlest one out, she ran over and tried to stop him from walking around.  Guess we will do that again this afternoon for just a little bit.  They all slept better after the exercise.

Today, it's shower, walk the dog, work, fix lunch, go to the Lung Dr's today, see if I cant send the oxygen tanks back, it turned out they are charging me 183.00 every three months.  And neither of us are using it now.  Need to talk to the lung doctor about it, as he never asked if and how we were using it.

@richwmnNice to have you back.  I hope that you had a wonderful cruise. 

The combination of sweet potato and black beans, add some onions, and it sounds like a good home fry combo, but I like meat.  I have been hearing tree frogs at night, its a lovely sound, but other than a rather large frog/toad that got squashed on the road, I have not seen any of them alive this year. Yet. I like tomato juice. Leave the alcohol and spicy stuff out.

minion-monday-found-me.jpg

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 26
  • Haha 4

Good morning,

I am glad it is a new week. Last week was brutal with the funeral and Mother’s Day. I have not read the Daily for a few days. I will have to go back and look at the pictures of the mothers.   

The rain continues which makes it hard to walk Molly. She thinks she is made of sugar and will melt!  

I hope everyone has a good start to their week. Prayers for those on our care list and others in need. Have a great day. 

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Today's sunrise is from a 2010 Blount inland cruise from Nashville to Chicago.  Floods caused great havoc that year and I don't remember exactly where we were on May 13 but it was on the Cumberland, Tennessee, or Ohio river somewhere between Nashville and St. Louis.

IMG_1847.thumb.JPG.879e14802e99112385b45

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 5

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report.  

Croutons mean French Onion Soup to me.  All the frog jumping videos that I’ve watched look like they would be a lot of fun to attend.  I like hummus but it doesn’t excite me like salsa or chip dip does.

It’s good to remind ourselves of today’s quote so that we don’t let the important things slip through our hands before it’s too late.

I’d pass on the meal suggestion but would never turn down a Bloody Mary, extra spicy for me please.

I haven’t been to today’s port, I’ll bet it’s lovely. 

Prayers for those on our prayer list today.  Cheers to those who are celebrating happy events!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from another cloudy day in central Texas.  It is 67F and the predicted high is 80F, and there is no rain in the forecast.  Even better, tomorrow is supposed to be sunny.  Later this morning, we will head to Cleburne for a CT scan for DH so the doctor at UTSW can determine if there will be another adjustment to the shunt.  We suspect there will be one.  Since rain is not in the forecast, we may head on to Ft. Worth to Costco and Total Wine since we'll half way there. 

Welcome back, Rich.  As others have mentioned, I enjoyed following along on your wonderful cruise.  And a big thank you to Jacqui @kazu, Sandi @StLouisCruisersand Roy @rafinmd for keeping the FR/D going for us.

Croutons are nice in a salad or soup, and hummus is all right, but not high on my list of favorite foods.  We won't be participating in frog jumping today.  Even with all our rain, I have not seen any frogs or toads this year.

The quote is one to remember, and we should make the most of our time in this world.

Our vegetarians might like the meal, but we'll stick to beef hamburgers.  DH would like the drink, and I would if they could calm down the spices.  We'll pass on the wine.

We have not been to Gaspe, but only sailed by it several times.

1787 those on the ships headed to Botany Bay were probably not happy about their situation.

@Nickelpenny  Penny, we'll be thinking about you today, and hope your surgery goes well with a good outcome.

@aliaschief  Bruce, thank you for your wonderful pictures of your safari.

@AroundWithMAPTravels  I enjoyed your pictures from Gaspe.  Thank you.

@smitty34877  Terry, I'm glad you had many supportive family members around you yesterday, and great help the past few days.

@cruising sister  Lorraine, I hope this week is a much better week.

442385952_951777250286207_8590346104294784266_n.jpg.1dd2932921f3384fac4879af5ba3bd35.jpg

442404199_322297334229154_4950292955454882604_n.jpg.4fd309ba9304509b5d4095b5bd1f8d97.jpg

441499474_465593672694304_2170555053492491455_n.jpg.c76335f12b931c304cf8f0586792f0b2.jpg

441727327_357770607274751_2578136839291401719_n.jpg.eec7c6e9a49dd09313de839606123813.jpg

438241584_888701406631469_4179562942945781716_n.jpg.5bd876089e70507fba306a213723fec3.jpg

431317440_1935341600257085_3050473011417966791_n.thumb.jpg.f5d0f41cc01edebe6018b70ead9aab51.jpg

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Haha 16