The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday May 25th, 2024

Good morning. It will be sunny and 80 degrees later. I  will take the dogs for a lengthy walk soon as it gets too warm later in the day. I have not been to the port. I always brought my leftovers to work for lunch since there was never enough time to go out and get something. The cafeterias of health care facilities back in the day were quite limited. 
My DB has been busy as he braved the Farmers Market in the next town yesterday and also went to the regular grocery store. He found a booth at the farmers market that made rice balls that were enjoyed with our dinner last night. We made a roasted salmon and strawberry sauce recipe that was featured here a while back. Today we are grilling vegetables and burgers of all types and some will eat outside.

@ger_77,  Happy half year Birthday!

@MrSnuffleupagus, Bon Voyage!

Enjoy the day !

• Like 33
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the Daily and map Rich!  An unusual period when all HA ships are in the Northern Hemisphere.  I am disappointed in all the plastic that was wormed its' way into our lives.   I disagree with the quote, dreams fuel our lives.  I will pass on the slow cooker meal and the bitter cocktail but I love a good, crisp Sancerre.  I look forward to photos of today's port.   

Vanessa, thanks for the cares and celebrations reports.  Prayers for healing for your BFF, Maurice, Chuck, Jacqui and Richard and everyone else in our group who are ailing or grieving.   Prayers for all in war zones through no fault of their own, Ukraine, the hostages and the innocents in Gaza.  

We had a productive day yesterday with 9 stops in Iron Mountain MI and to and fro before we had an early dinner in our home PO Box town, plus a long phone call.  We had our first fish fry of the cabin season and we got in early before the crowd for Memorial Day.  Our environs are full of river and lake camps and the three day weekend is the gateway to the short summer season up here.   Food was great and I ordered a glass of wine and it came in one of those stemless tumblers almost to the brim, at least it is good value but I doubt I would ever risk trying one of the reds that they stock.  Today I finish unloading the truck from shopping and fill all my containers.  No short Dahlias so I am trying big wave Petunias in my porch planters and then one hanging basket with them too.  Have a lovely Saturday!   Nancy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! Another lovely start to the day. Yesterday was another perfect day. I am spoiled! Officially. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with all of our happenings. I love that you captured Gerry’s alternate birthday! Hope BFF is doing ok & that you are, too! I still marvel that BFF’s injury happened just when you were able to drive again!

Zumba, Bindi walks, yard work and then dinner at a friend’s. I am bringing Tiramisu and wine. 

IMG_2910.jpeg.73ecfec37d2ad4255d6fb9b6ed7ae6b1.jpeg

IMG_2813.jpeg.f3e25335fb1ebe272ff78926a2d2bf7a.jpeg

IMG_2917.jpeg.3538995a0f334c88369109b51b154ac2.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Jacqui, I hope you don’t overdo things and your foot gets better soon. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

Happy Alternate Birthday, Gerry!

IMG_3005.jpeg.48a9304aac658ed431bf2eb9063a9a8f.jpeg

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Fournier Père et Fils 2022 Les Monts Damnés Sauvignon Blanc (Sancerre)

Another elusive European wine. But if you happen to live in, or are visiting France or one of its neighbors, you might be able to enjoy it. Online European prices start at $43.78.

Wine Enthusiast 93

Chalky minerality leaps out on the nose of this Sancerre followed by green plum, green apple and lime citrus. On the palate the wine is steely in texture with wet stone and hints of white peach on the long finish. This Sancerre would pair wonderfully with mussels, clams, scallops and crustaceans of any sort.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 11
  • Haha 2

Good morning!

It is currently raining her in mid-Michigan but it is supposed to be sunny and 75 by cookout time here.  DS Mary Jo and her DH Mitch are coming over for burgers and dogs on the grill.  When the rain clears out Sue plans to do some flower planting with River.  That will be good.  Right now we are watching cartoons with those annoying voices. Of course, I do have to remember that this makes it all worthwhile.

IMG_3373.thumb.JPG.5667cc8919115ad8345cde4c9b1369cc.JPG

@ger_77  Happy Half Birthday!

images(1).jpg.92efecf0aca42b4d6ce5f57a5a96efa3.jpg

The very first meal I ever made in my new crockpot back in 1979 was chicken with olives.  It was ok.  I think the crockpot got washed and put away for about 30 years.  I would swap out the orzo in this recipe for riced cauliflower.  Chicken in the Slow Cooker

chickenandorzowithtomatoesandolives1.jpg.ab6786af9f8c1144c281ec5b178fdc51.jpg

This one has more of a tomato sauce that tomatoes included in the dish.  Mediterranean Chicken

chickenandorzowithtomatoesandolives2.thumb.jpg.58953f485100eb76fadafa707723ee0f.jpg

This one uses kalamata olives instead of the regular green olives.  It also calls for chicken thighs, but you can use boneless, skinless chicken breasts.  One Pot Chicken

chickenandorzowithtomatoesandolives3.thumb.jpg.aca1e42a6d1bcfada7d1c312b5e1f01e.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 14

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie   I’ll celebrate all three days although I think for most of my working life we had a water pot and microwave that could do a hot lunch.

I don’t get the quote...

I remember watching the first steps on the moon on a small screen black and white TV,.

II have not been to Maputo.

I’ll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Lingonberry Soup and Prime Rib of Beef au Jus as served on MS Prinsendam May 25, 2015.                   
It will be hot with code orange air quality today so I have gotten my walk in early.  I can still feel my shoulder but it does not really bother me.

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Good Saturday Morning Dailyites! I think I understand the quote, because when I have a cruise planned, I dream of the cruise, I investigate each port, and the days just crawl by.  When I have nothing to dream of, the days just blend into one long hellish day that can last anywhere between 1 sunset to 300 and I take no notice, its just awful.  Its just easier to dream of something better, that is around the corner .....

DH said that he didnt need any more T shirts-truth is he does because he has lost so much weight, so I ordered this one for his upcoming birthday

Men's Wizard of Oz I Miss Kansas Short Sleeve  Tee

I couldnt stop laughing at this one.  I hope that he "gets" it. That has been a problem with him due to his meds, and stress.

Two of the kittens have caught on with "food"  but the other two are still wary.  But this morning instead of the mom cat trying to eat her plate and theirs, she backed off until they started eating, and then she started eating from her plate, then Ollie (the solid black one) will eat with her, but Quiff and Turnip go directly to their food.  It's the one that has already been spoken for that is the one not eating, and Munchkin will still nurse her, but the other ones, she pushes away.

Well off to watch a zoom meeting, which i put off from yesterday, and then try to watch Qualifying, and then go to work.  Oh, and make a spaghetti casserole, while doing all the other stuff.  

Have a wonderful day!hey-there-have-a-great-day-149484414.jpg?fit=700

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

I brown-bagged most of my life. When I first moved to Albuquerque I was without a job in the beginning;  2 house mortgages on then-DH’s income was over budget so kids got brown bag lunches, which they felt was beneath them!  After I began working they got lunch money for school lunch. It wasn’t long before they asked if I’d make lunches for them again! 🤣

Yesterday I forgot to applaud Samuel Morse!  I didn’t have to learn it for my lowest-level Ham license but learned “SOS” in Girl Scouts, never forgot that … - - -  …   Niece is a retired Merchant Marine Radio Officer, needed to be able to use Morse Code but hardly ever used it. I loved the book Thunderstruck by Erik Larson, non-fiction about Marconi and a murder solved because of ships being able to radio news in the very early days. 

Grandkids coming for lunch and visit today!  Always a lift!  

Still doing post-surgery eye drops 8x/da plus massages to push fluid through the incision 4x/da🤞. Whatever it takes. Thank you Sandi, Vanessa and all for your support, it’s not getting easier but it is getting done! 

Congrats to Debbie, Elizabeth and Joe on beautiful Addi. And what a precious treasure from River!  Here’s a keepsake treasure from the now-married (step) granddaughter coming today!  I’m SO blessed!IMG_2490.thumb.jpeg.0aa8cc76623eafdd1597987c1d11d913.jpeg

Happy birthday celebration @ger_77🎂🎉

Blessings to all in need of healing comfort or hope!  For our country, yours and peace in the world 🗺️. 🫡 remembering the too many who gave all. 
Cheers to those celebrating Life 🌈. Smooth travels to all away. 🎉 Bon Voyage!  🛳️ 
Maureen 

Edited by RMLincoln
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 2

Good morning from cloudy central Texas with a few sun breaks.  It is 76F with 98% humidity and a dew point of 74F.  The forecast is calling for cloudy today with a chance of rain early this evening.  Our predicted high is 90F.  I'm planning on getting the grass mowed a bit later this morning once the dew is gone, and before it gets too hot.  Tomorrow will be sunny with a high of 95F.

Plastic free is a good goal, but I doubt the world will be able to do without plastic.  I brown bagged my lunch at times when I was working, and the DDs brown bagged it at school.  National Missing Children's Day is important since there are too many missing persons.

I disagree with the Robert James Waller quote.  We all need to dream to make life more bearable when times are tough.

We'll pass on the meal, drink and wine.

We have not been to Maputo.

In 1961, JFK set a lofty goal which the US achieved.

@MISTER 67  I hope in the coming week you have more great golf rounds.

@kazu  Jacqui, I hope you found what you were looking for and can sit while you work on your planters.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, enjoy your day on board.  There is not much to do in IJmuiden, but the WWII bunkers in the sand dunes across from the cruise terminal are interesting.

@1ANGELCAT  It was good to read that all is good with Shirl so far.

@dfish  Debbie, thanks for sharing the sweet note from River.

@RMLincoln  Maureen, I can understand why you treasure that sweet note.

442413586_306542572499074_8704666799354573343_n.jpg.aacb9314bbec1c1f13fe475ae3e22d6f.jpg

442424215_853850053424605_1887561838852659664_n.jpg.6fa5d3962ae213357b621473f4825eb6.jpg

443698818_122156167730157800_783344868291280221_n.jpg.7c7ce1b53cd6e863fd552c6a821d9c52.jpg

443712304_307220099097988_2205504005800253457_n.jpg.b64d7efa123dacffcf475e38d7dece8f.jpg

444839391_426667136997780_2757611215440021965_n.jpg.942f6c0dd93bbd0fde7a411d6d9d59c3.jpg

445355979_309163435566090_7782908545215765946_n.jpg.94314c6287704670046814d3483f743d.jpg

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 9

Posted (edited)

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here! 

Thank you all for the birthday wishes yesterday! We had a wonderful lunch and the celebration continues today with DD, DSIL, and granddaughter Lily coming over for cake this afternoon.

IMG_20301.thumb.JPG.256aa3ea190f3bda1e302882cf714d35.JPG

Have a great Memorial Day weekend!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 34
  • Thanks 2

Happy Saturday to all the Dailyites. I try for plastic- free every day but rarely achieve it. Missing children should be everyone's top priority.  I don’t 

like Manhattans but after 30 years, maybe I should try another one.  I will try a low carb version of today’s recipe.  Love those notes from children! Always better than a store-bought card. 

Happy half birthday @ger_77
Waited a few minutes too long to take Max on his morning walk. Storms blew in and out in about an hour. Going to a uke festival on the mountain at a park this afternoon. It is not supposed to rain and should be a tad cool. That will be a treat.

Blessings to all who share and care.

Debbie

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Good morning Dailyites. 

Today will be hot and muggy. (95)

Thanks to our loyal posters for the fleet report, food and beverages, care and celebration listing..including current and future Daily cruisers.

Wanting to get to the Farmer's market early this morning to nab some halibut from our Alaska fish monger. The fresh vegetables are in full swing and I think I will make a stir fry.

The changes to our Japan itinerary caused a cancelation in an excursion. It's difficult to get an accessible tour as it is, but I will keep trying.

Jacqui don't over do it today. We all know how you are!!

Last night I went to our pool at 6 pm and I was the only one there for the first 15 minutes. I grabbed a few noodles and puttered around. It was beautiful and I love the music that's played.

Prayers going on up for those on our care list. For the soldiers who made the ultimate sacrifice and their families. For those who suffer from war, who are starving and helpless. And for our veterans. 

Blessings to you.

• Like 24

Posted (edited)

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @richwmn.

I hope we are all trying to cut down on plastic use. I used to often brown bag it when I worked. Missing Children is such a sad situation. Interesting quote. I like the meal, sans olives. Pass on the drink and wine. I haven't been to Maputo. I remember JFK's goal of getting a man to the moon.

It's warm and sunny, with potential storms later. Yesterday the HVAC people called around 3PM, saying they were slammed, but could they come out today (which is not usually done unless an emergency). I said yes, so here I sit waiting for them. I did sleep upstairs with the ceiling fan upped from low to medium velocity. It wasn't too bad. I hope to get to BFF's early afternoon and then back home before the storms.

@MrSnuffleupagus Bon Voyage!

@ger_77 Happy (Alternate) Birthday!

@MISTER 67 Congrats on the good golf scores.

@kazu I hope you can work on the planters without too much pain.

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for checking in. Sorry the weather isn't nicer there today.

@smitty34877 So nice for you to have DB and DSIL there.

@dfish Aww, on the note from River; so sweet. And Addi looks so sweet; congrats to the parents and family. 

@RMLincoln Enjoy the visit from the grandkids. You're doing great on DH's complicated eye regimen. That's a sweet note.

@Heartgrove Great photo!

@doobieb Enjoy the uke festival.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those Celebrating.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 5

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily! I wish we could go plastic free, but take a look around you and see how much of our world is made of it!  I brown bagged it for most of my career; when I first joined the court, there wasn't a designated staff/lunch room, so people ate at their desks.  One day a kindly caretaker came by and told me he'd made some chili in their store room and would I like to have some?  He said he'd bring it to me, but I insisted on going back there with him - that began a life long friendship with the caretakers of our building.  I'd often bake things and leave them in there for the group to enjoy, and there were many invitations to join them for treats or lunches others had made.  I think I was the only person from the bench who was actually afforded this privilege, and it's a memory I'll take with me always.  A little 5 year old girl (Tamara Keepness) went missing from a city nearby in 2004 and to this day has not been found; I can't imagine the anguish the family has been through.  Sadly, her mother passed away last year, never knowing what happened to her daughter.

Thank you @JazzyV for remembering my Alternate Birthday today!  And thank you to all my Daily friends for your good wishes; it really makes my heart smile to read them.  I'm not sure DH is even going to remember unless he actually looks at the calendar, but I'll think of a reason for us to go somewhere for dinner tonight and will leave it at that.  He'll pay for it later.  Ha ha ha ha.

@dfishcongratulations on the addition of Addi to your extended family; she's a beauty!  And THAT note!  Oh my gosh, it touched my heart, as I'm sure it did yours.

@MrSnuffleupagusBon Voyage; enjoy your cruise!!

@RMLincolnmy goodness, ministrations 8x daily - that takes up pretty much your entire day!  Is DH able to do some of them by himself, or do they all involve you?  You need a break, girl!

@kazuI hope you're able to get some of your pots filled; I know how much they mean to you.

@1ANGELCATI'm glad Shirl is doing well so far; the cat will be a cat and make sure everyone knows it's annoyed at the change.  LOL

@ottahand7wow, you had a very busy day yesterday!

@marshhawk  I love the t-shirt!!

I'm going to pass on the drink (whiskey), will let others enjoy the wine and take a wide berth on anything with olives in it.   I'm not sure just what's on the menu for tonight, but I'm thinking we'll take a drive across the city to our favourite Greek restaurant where I can enjoy time with DH and a traditional Greek meal.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in pain, in turmoil, and in the paths of destructive storms and fires.  Cheers to all with celebrations today.  

Wishing everyone a safe and happy Memorial Day weekend.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

Good morning from a cool but sunny day in Wisconsin.  It's 56 with a high of 72 predicted.  We're at our "up north" house, drove 2 hours yesterday in a very heavy thunderstorm.  No fun. DGD also drove through a storm to get here.   About 15 minutes before we arrived, the wind got very strong, and trees were swirling.  Arrived and found 2 big trees down, 1 next door, and 1 across the street.  1 fell on a boat and the other on the their house...no broken windows, but looks like some roof and gutter damage.  Another storm blew through before bed time.  Today is predicted to be the best day of the weekend.  

The meal looks good.  Dad used to drink Manhattans.  I try to avoid plastic.

Happy birthday to @ger_77!

@kazudon't overdo today

@RMLincolnwhat a sweet note!

@dfishanother sweet note!

A 3 year old child is missing from our area.  Most likely the parents are involved . They are both in jail now.😞

Have a great weekend!

Edited by quilty964
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 8