The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday May 31st, 2024

@cat shepard your description of today's wine mentions the Sonnenuhr Vineyard.  Here is a photo of me and our rental Rover in the Moselle with the "Sun Dial" vineyard in the background.  Very happy memories from one of our memorable wine tours with my late DH.  

nancy rover on Moselle '00.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

Good morning everyone. Yesterday I found 3 snakes dead in a glue trap in my garage put there to catch ants. I’m afraid to go out there until the trapper comes. 
Tomorrow is June, my favorite month.

My daughter and grandson left for Israel last night. Praying they’ll be safe.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 5

4 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

@cat shepard your description of today's wine mentions the Sonnenuhr Vineyard.  Here is a photo of me and our rental Rover in the Moselle with the "Sun Dial" vineyard in the background.  Very happy memories from one of our memorable wine tours with my late DH.  

Nice photo.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

Great picture, Nancy! Thank you!

BTW there is a Virginia distributor who offers free shipping - if you buy a case. I think the cost/bottle is around $33.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

3 good days today - a tobacco free world would be awesome. 

Pass on the meal & drink, would definitely try the wine if it's available, not been to the port.

Hugs @Heartgrove to you and Sam.

@Denise T 🙏 Fancy responds well to treatment.

Congrats to the Dallas Mavericks 🏀 who are moving on to the Finals.

Currently 66° w/96% humidity headed to wet 82°. We are under a river flood warning; Walnut Creek is nearby, but we won't flood. Prayers 🙏 for the people and animals in that area. Rain stopped a little bit ago and should return later this morning. 

Prayers 🙏 and positive thoughts for all. 

20240531_062045.thumb.jpg.1f38da3d789678932a882e3d8f5bfdcd.jpg

20240531_062224.jpg.472b9d5efc8969985835669560472d99.jpg

20240531_062408.thumb.jpg.5930b39cd7fefde784f48ac8a5b80952.jpg

20240531_062536.thumb.jpg.4ffe1f95dfd95ae0eebb850e23b1163f.jpg

20240531_062151.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 3

Good morning!

It is a chilly start to the day with a temperature of 49F.  But, we have abundant sunshine and temps will warm to the mid 70s.  All is good in mid-Michigan.  Nothing on the agenda for today.  I did pick up my quilt from the long arm quilter yesterday and should sew the binding on so I can get that part done.  Otherwise, free day!  Still don't know if we're having Farkle tonight or if DB and DSIL will be heading down to visit with the new granddaughter, Addi.  Trying out a new spelling today.  

@Vict0riann 's Pat

Birthdaymen.jpg.1f33b0fdd45154014bbc5285e3b9663d.jpg

Warm thoughts to @Heartgrove and Sam.  

Today's meal is a bit different.  The parsnips are used in place of carrots.  I'm still passing on this due to carb load.  Carbs are especially hard on me first thing in the morning because the insulin resistance is at its strongest then for some reason.  https://www.healthyseasonalrecipes.com/maple-parsnip-morning-glory-coffee-cake/

parsnipcoffeecake1.thumb.jpg.0cbd60af2cc0a67e316011179ff345d9.jpg

The last one was a morning glory cake and this one is an adapted carrot cake recipe.  Still passing on it.  https://magnoliadays.com/golden-parsnip-loaf-cake/

parsnipcoffeecake2.thumb.jpg.c908e3f43668de6184be75601221b2d1.jpg

Here's the morning glory cake made with carrots.  https://smittenkitchen.com/2020/10/morning-glory-breakfast-cake/

parsnipcoffeecake3.jpeg.156595736e40fda8fa1b26f610eae978.jpeg

Enjoy!  Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 19

Good morning everyone from Montreal.  Another sunny, beautiful day in store. Thanks for the daily updates.

Three great days to celebrate.  Our niece is an audiologist who helps folks to prevent hearing loss.  

I like today’s quote, it can be applied to all of us travelers who like to wander about new places.

The meal suggestion sounds like something that Edith Cropley from The Vicar of Dibley would have concocted!  Since I like parsnips I would give it a try.  It might go nicely with today’s drink suggestion.

I haven’t been to today’s port.

Our plans today are to pick up DH’s suit, that he bought yesterday, from the tailor.  He was in the market for a new one for our niece’s wedding in August.  We saw it on a mannequin and it was just what he was looking for so I encouraged him to just buy it.  After that we’ll visit the botanical gardens, we went about fifteen years ago and thought we’d visit it again on this trip.  

Prayers for those on our care list today and for those who are suffering and in need.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today.  Happy Birthday to  @Vict0riann’s DH Pat! 🎂

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3

Good Friday Morning Dailyites! Computer says it's HUMID, and 58 degrees.  Rather cool. Once again the sun is rising over the hill to my left, and to my right, dark low clouds.Texas are you sending me weather again?  Oh my goodness I keep seeing pictures of parts of Texas, please be safe out there!

@Denise TI am sorry about Fancy's illness.  I hope that recovery comes soon.

@mamaofami Snakes!!!!  I hate snakes, it's not their fault they exist, they have their purpose, but after finding a baby copperhead on the porch several years ago, I often worry where their mother is.  Last year I saw Bob playing with a shoe string next to me at the computer, until I realized, the shoe string moved on its own.  (and I wasnt missing a shoe string).

@Vict0riannHappy Birthday to your DH-

Happy-Birthday-Cat-3.png

@NickelpennyI loved your meme about the introvert so much, I made a copy and put it on my wall by my work desk.  My father always said I was the most extroverted introvert he had ever met. But that was back in the day when I could go "Poof".  Not so much disappearing from my life now.  

My neighbor the pool player has decided that she now wants to join the senior pool league which meets on Tuesday afternoons instead of Tuesday nights. She is still working, so she wants to cut her work days to Monday Wednesday and Thursday.  Meanwhile, I'm looking ahead to working for only one campaign, working late on Thursdays and taking Fridays off.  Making that a permanent work decision, I may not do anything on Fridays, but at least I will know I have a day off.

Our phone system had a bit of a block on it yesterday, and I could not reach 90 percent of my patrons. My  boss will be off today, exchanging with his assistant (who does nothing, knows little and never responds) so I was given a pep talk about decision making today.from my bosses boss last night.  I think I can handle it.  It will be nice to have "my boss" work on a Saturday with me.  He is usually off on Saturdays.

I actually shopped at WM yesterday, and found 2 T bones for under 25 bucks, so that is dinner tonight, with potatoes au gratin (out of a box) and a salad.  Yum.  I have no idea what meals will be the rest of the weekend, but dinner will be great tonight. 

51318767354070a5d60071c64a5592bf.jpg

I hope you all have a wonderful Friday!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

Good morning. It is beautiful here in New Hampshire as I await the return of the parental units from The Rolling Stones concert last night. The DGC’s got off to school and the grand dog is keeping me company.

i am very much in support of no world tobacco day. My parents and older brother died as a result of smoking and we grew up (most of us) in a smoky haze. Save your hearing is very important as well. I will pass on the parsnip cake but like the quote. I have not been to Egypt.

DD took  the day off from work as the aide is taking a day for a family event. She and DSiL stayed in my side of the house last night. They are managing well but I worry anyway. It is a lot now as Tana is weak . She tries her best but is physically challenged at this point.

I am very much enjoying talking to the kids about things and answering questions about their father growing up. I told my granddaughter that her Dad always timed his morning exit for the school bus down to the second, just the way she does. 
Enjoy the day today!

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Saving your hearing is so important - I wonder how many young people today are going to need hearing aids in their adult life?   What you think upon grows - interesting concept.  I'm totally in favour of no tobacco; while I realize it's a cash crop for farmers, it has caused so much death and destruction among the population, it just isn't worth it.  

A bright sunny, albeit windy day out there for us this morning.  I see we must have had a good rain overnight, as there are puddles at the end of the driveway.  Hopefully it rained hard enough to wash all the yellow pollen off my black SUV.  It was looking pretty sad yesterday, but I didn't have the time to take it through a car wash.

Yesterday after lunch with our friend Ollie, we went back to her place where she had more things boxed up for us to take.  Gord was a "collector" (a gentle way of saying hoarder) of many things.  She said we were to keep whatever we wanted and to donate everything else.  There was also a special box for our son containing a digital 35mm Nikon camera and a couple of large lenses (our son made a good living as a part time photographer when he lived in Japan), a brand new in the box portable DVD player (great for camping!), and at least 6 point and shoot digital cameras (Pentax, Canon, etc).  DH was thrilled with the other stuff, as it's all things he can take apart with gears, springs, etc., that he can use to make steampunk art.

@Vict0riannwishing Pat a very Happy Birthday as he celebrates another trip around the sun!

@Denise Tsorry to hear Fancy has lyme disease - hope she's better soon!

@Heartgrovemakes my heart hurt to hear about Sam's struggles.  Sure wish there was something we could do to fix him up.

Not too much happening here today - DH's chiropractor appointment this morning at 9, then will stop at the grocery store on the way home for International Delight creamers for our iced coffee.  I think we might have to go to Home Depot because tomorrow DH's son and another fellow are coming over to work on the back steps coming down to the patio from our deck.  The steps are very uneven and are becoming harder to navigate, so it's time to do something about it.  I think we'll have to get some bolts, etc., as the risers were already purchased before DH's surgery.  He will be acting in a supervisory capacity, which suits me fine.

The drink of the day sounds good, but not sure where I'd find the ingredients for it, will pass on the wine, and have copied and printed the 3rd recipe for the breakfast cake - that's going to be right up DH's alley.  It's Friday night pizza night at our house, so later this afternoon we'll check the online menus to see what ooey gooey cheesy delight can be delivered for us to enjoy on the deck tonight.   And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in pain, in grief, in turmoil, and in the paths of devastating storms and fires.  Cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

🎂 Happy Birthday Pat 🎉. Best wishes for a healthy year of happy adventures!  Slainte! 

Another lovely day in northern New Jersey!  Cool, partly sunny, light breeze, high of 73! Wish it could stay like this. This is what our summers used to be like in the high elevations of northern New Mexico, until it started getting warmer the last several years…. 

One of the boys I raised had a “button” in high school that said, “What you focus on you give power to”. That has always stayed with me. 
Always a Tolkien fan!  
Not a cake fan, unless I can drench them in something creamy. 
Not been to Egypt. 

Today I plan to enjoy a walk within the community to a meditation group. DH has been busy documenting instructions/directions on how we manage our affairs. I think he/we are near the end of this iteration. It’ll be a godsend for me and granddaughter at some point!  Then onward to the next project!  
No doctor appoints this whole week!  Monday we’ll see eye doctor and probably every other week for the next 2 months. 🤞 Thanks for all your support!  

Blessings to all in need. Near and far. Our country and yours! 
Toasts to all celebrating. 
@seagarsmoker thanks for the heads-up, hoping your work goes well, it’s good to have a job. And thanks for all the beautiful pix you share. Check in when you can. 

Thanks Vanessa for our lists! Hoping you can rest today, and continue healing. And find the right person for the radiator!  
🏀Congrats to your Mavs Elizabeth!  My 🏒Rangers didn’t play well enough last night so Panthers return to Florida with a chance to move on tomorrow!  
Nancy, glad the dock is in, and hopefully the pipe will set smoothly. 
Graham, thanks for the videos of NS. Hoping you are 100% soon. 
Jack, thanks for the updates on Sam and good luck with all the ways you might help him💗

Jacqui, hoping for continued healing. 
Terry, enjoy your break!  Blessings that Tana has good days with the aide. No worries! 
Pennie, glad you enjoyed your day-trip drive. Wonderful you are out and about. Hoping the tingling fades. 
@Mr. Boston hoping the suit is perfect, or trés bien!  Bon Voyage coming up!  
All enduring storms, please take no risks! Stay safe! 
Smooth travels to all away!  
Have an enjoyable day everyone! Thanks for being here!  
Maureen 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 7

Happy Friday and thanks for the daily and fleet report.  I can't believe it is the last day of May!  Three good days to celebrate and I am a wanderer - I like to explore and find new and interesting things.  Not sure about the "meal" or the drink, no to the wine and I never have been to the port.  Interesting about using "fools gold" - iron pyrite - for paving the streets of London.  

IMG_7868.thumb.JPG.b035e3e6ca44787be750117aa18ccbbf.JPG

We probably will hit over 100F today but as we jokingly say - "It is a dry heat".  I love it!!  I rarely use my AC as I find it too cold.  Door and windows open with ceiling fans and stationary fans going is the way I like it.   Today is my first post-op appt and I hope to find out the plan for the future - when can I start twisting and working out again.  I went to the gym yesterday morning to say Hi and my trainer was surprised I could walk so well.  Now, if I could just get my R knee fixed, I maybe all set and won't think about the more extensive back surgery that might be in my future - or not.

IMG_7869.JPG.c00c86cccb2db698c0d47f9ae2bcea7b.JPG

Unfortunately, I read about a 3yo child here who drowned in a community swimming pool a couple of days ago.  It is so sad and regrettably will probably not be the last one of the summer.  I was a lifeguard (and competitive swimmer) in my teens and taught babies as young as 6 months old to survive in water.  It just wrenches my heart to hear of these tragedies.

IMG_7870.thumb.JPG.a2c3c62198702168fc8117bab8035737.JPG

Happy Birthday @Vict0riann DH!  Thoughts for those on the care list and cheers to all who are celebrating.  Have a great day everyone!!

IMG_7873.thumb.JPG.58efa043e18c28b68d924b1134f23529.JPG

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

Good morning from a cooler, cloudy and soggy morning in central Texas.  We had more thunderstorms and rain during the night, but I haven't checked the rain gauge yet.  It is 67F with 95% humidity and a dew point of 66F.  We have a 9 mph wind along with a flood warning.  Our little community is safe since we are on a high bluff overlooking the lake.  The predicted high is 81F.  It looks like we could get some scattered thunderstorms later this morning and tomorrow morning.  The grass will need mowing soon, and it looks like Sunday morning is the best bet.  That is the longest stretch between predicted rain chances.  After Saturday mornings rain chances, there is no rain prediction until Sunday afternoon.

The main item on the agenda today is the delivery of the new golf cart, but we don't have a time yet.  

Save your hearing is very important as is no-tobacco day.  I'm not sure about What You Think Upon Grows day.

I like the quote as we often wander around the ports we visit on BHBs, and yes, we occasionally get lost.  However, the map apps on the phones are now a big help.

We'll pass on the meal and drink.  I would try the wine even though a prefer a Riesling that's between dry and sweet.

In 2003 on the old Regal Princess, we were supposed to stop in Port Said after our Suez Canal transit, but due to operational reasons, we docked in Alexandria.

An interesting day in history concerning Martin Frobisher and his voyage to Canada in 1578.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I dug around on Google and after looking at the picture of the mosque and the map of Port Said, I think you're correct about the mosque being the Al Salam Mosque.  Thanks for the pictures from Port Said.

@grapau27  Graham, thanks for the explanation of What You Think Upon Grows Up Day.  I remember hearing about Norman Vincent Peale and the Marble Collegiate Church when I was growing up.

@Heartgrove  Jack, it is so sad to read about Sam's new problems.  I wish they had a way to fix hip problems in dogs.

@Denise T  Denise, I hope the medicine cure Fancy's Lyme disease quickly.

@seagarsmoker  I hope with your busy summer work schedule, you will find time to check in occasionally.  Great picture today.

@ottahand7  Nancy, with all the work you are doing, you will soon be able to enjoy your summer at the cabin.  Thanks for the great picture.

@mamaofami  Carol, sorry about the snakes.  I hope they were non-venomous ones.

@Mr. Boston  Enjoy your last day in Montreal.  Great that DH found just the suit he'd been looking for.

@marshhawk  Annie, you may be getting our rain, and I hope it isn't as wild as yesterday's rain.  Good luck with the work phones and the work schedule.

@smitty34877  Terry, I'm glad you are enjoying your time in NH.  I'm sorry Tana is so weak now.  Sending positive thoughts for the very best for her.

@Haljo1935  Elizabeth, great that the Mavs are in the finals.

@Nickelpenny  Pennie, I hope your appointment goes well and the surgeon is pleased with your recovery.

@rafinmd  Roy, I hope the extraction goes well.

We saw pictures on the news last night about the flooding in Dallas.  Stemmons Freeway (I-30E) in the area we travel to get to UTSW was under about 18 inches of water.  We exit right at Market Center.

442480559_427614800026225_5807224870572788022_n.jpg.0d1f20fa89509fca3950621c322bd3e9.jpg

445539698_402718979427185_2035653244391598666_n.jpg.a095bc90f7ffe9626eaeaff38f23671b.jpg

445567993_763676552594824_7371178413168696646_n.jpg.a45009b271fd18202dbcc0aba2dd9ded.jpg

446983671_310951625391502_7263281666192951625_n.jpg.49bb6ac4165cdc9f4a97e8c5da89e661.jpg

447003249_310791815407483_6873767490834473191_n.jpg.8f5c3983b13f2418313b2847dc89a479.jpg

447029382_310857102067621_5822624136740190073_n.jpg.ad1b675347e8df57891a216a911f5026.jpg

Lenda

• Like 11
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 16

Good morning Dailyites.

A crazy night of lightning and thunderstorms. The rain is still floating around in the backyard. @LambKnuckles you will be enjoying Georgetown in wet weather. We were just at the Monument Cafe. If you see Jenn, please tell her we said hello. She also works at Fish City Grill. My favorite. 

Roy, prayers all go well at the dentist. Prayers for Tana, Chuck, Jacquie and our Vanessa's BFF. I'm sorry about Fancy's Lyme disease, and thoughts go to our Sandi fighting the last remnants of a cold. Graham hoping you are "cured" soon.

Happy Birthday to @Vict0riann DH Pat.

@mamaofami snakes are the worst! Our bug team put those sticky pads inside our garage doors and both pads had little frogs stuck to them. So sad.

@Heartgrove poor Sam. 

Last night was girls game night. We played a (new to me) games of Jokers and Marbles. My girlfriend teaching us was ruthless and knocked out most of my marbles. The food was wonderful and desserts were wow! 

I need to get to the market today, hopefully before the next storm. I'm making a creamy seafood pasta, salad and a baguette. 

Blessings lifted to each of you on this last day of May 2024. I will keep reminding myself of tomorrow's June 1st mantra...

• Like 19
  • Thanks 6

These pictures are what I posted in June 2021.

I do not have too many pictures of the Port Said end of the Suez Canal on the old Regal Princess in 2003.  Here are a couple of them.

IMG_2997.thumb.JPG.9a9f4fb9f460d3b49931bbcee8406b91.JPG

IMG_3002.thumb.JPG.c1c602a536580b370699d7adf4aa03be.JPG

I'm going to add a couple of pictures of two passengers from that cruise.  This was the mystery cruise in 2003 on the Regal Princess from Bangkok to Rome with may ports changed due to SARS and the Iraq War.  These passengers were only on from Bangkok to Mumbai, but we were lucky to get to see them.

I think you will recognize Mickey Rooney, who along with his wife #? and his son were just regular passengers.  The Cruise Director, who had spent years as a lounge entertainer, persuaded them to do their Las Vegas act one afternoon.  Another afternoon, Mickey joined him for a "coffee chat" and answered some questions from passengers.  He also posed for pictures with some passengers, but we were to far back in the line to get our picture taken with Mickey and his wife.

Mickey talked about his years in Hollywood and a lot of the stars he worked with especially Judy Garland and Elizabeth Taylor.  His stories were very interesting, and he did not say one bad thing about anyone.  His one regret was taking the role of the Asian neighbor in "Breakfast at Tiffany's".

IMG_2662.thumb.JPG.ecc3135c07cbe6c699eef7ee8b7a9f5f.JPG

IMG_2742.thumb.JPG.74a2caa917a2e454444bdf333a5927ea.JPG

Later, after the news broke that his son subjected him to elder abuse, I've often wondered if it was the son that was on the cruise with them.  As far as we knew, we never saw the son.  The first time we Mickey, he was sitting outside one of the shops until his wife came out, when he then got up and followed her.

I also remember the CD did a show one night when the scheduled entertainer was not available due to missing the ship.  The CD put on a very enjoyable shoe.  At that time, flying to Asia and getting on the ship was not easy, and if you flew through Hong Kong or Singapore, you had to wait ten days before boarding.

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 8

1 hour ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning. It is beautiful here in New Hampshire as I await the return of the parental units from The Rolling Stones concert last night. The DGC’s got off to school and the grand dog is keeping me company.

i am very much in support of no world tobacco day. My parents and older brother died as a result of smoking and we grew up (most of us) in a smoky haze. Save your hearing is very important as well. I will pass on the parsnip cake but like the quote. I have not been to Egypt.

DD took  the day off from work as the aide is taking a day for a family event. She and DSiL stayed in my side of the house last night. They are managing well but I worry anyway. It is a lot now as Tana is weak . She tries her best but is physically challenged at this point.

I am very much enjoying talking to the kids about things and answering questions about their father growing up. I told my granddaughter that her Dad always timed his morning exit for the school bus down to the second, just the way she does. 
Enjoy the day today!

I'm sorry to hear Tana is weak Terry.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Dailyites.

A crazy night of lightning and thunderstorms. The rain is still floating around in the backyard. @LambKnuckles you will be enjoying Georgetown in wet weather. We were just at the Monument Cafe. If you see Jenn, please tell her we said hello. She also works at Fish City Grill. My favorite. 

Roy, prayers all go well at the dentist. Prayers for Tana, Chuck, Jacquie and our Vanessa's BFF. I'm sorry about Fancy's Lyme disease, and thoughts go to our Sandi fighting the last remnants of a cold. Graham hoping you are "cured" soon.

Happy Birthday to @Vict0riann DH Pat.

@mamaofami snakes are the worst! Our bug team put those sticky pads inside our garage doors and both pads had little frogs stuck to them. So sad.

@Heartgrove poor Sam. 

Last night was girls game night. We played a (new to me) games of Jokers and Marbles. My girlfriend teaching us was ruthless and knocked out most of my marbles. The food was wonderful and desserts were wow! 

I need to get to the market today, hopefully before the next storm. I'm making a creamy seafood pasta, salad and a baguette. 

Blessings lifted to each of you on this last day of May 2024. I will keep reminding myself of tomorrow's June 1st mantra...

Thank you Joy.

I'm much better today.

• Like 16