The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday June 6th, 2024

D-Day

Today is Creative Educators International Day, National Gardening Exercise Day, and Drive-in Movie Day

Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it. - Charles Dudley Warner

Meal Suggestion for today - Frittata with Asparagus, Leek & Ricotta
Drink of the Day - Negroni
Wine of the Day - 2020 Pinot Noir, Villa Wolf, Pfalz
Destination of the Day - Tracy Arm Inlet

Today in History:
1944 Operation Overlord: D-Day begins as the 156,000-strong Allied Expeditionary Force lands in Normandy, France, during World War II

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island Alaska 06:30 - 13:00

Koningsdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island Alaska 11:00 - 19:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Skagway, Alaska 05:30 - 21:00

Nieuw Statendam

Akureyri, Iceland, Lake Myvatn 12:00 - 18:00

Noordam

Juneau, Alaska 08:00 - 17:00

Oosterdam

Messina, Italy 08:00 - 16:00

Rotterdam

Skjolden, Sognefjord, Norway 08:00 - 15:00

Volendam

Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada 08:00 - 16:00

Westerdam

Sitka, Baranof Island Alaska 08:00 - 16:00

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 06-07

Zuiderdam

Copenhagen, Denmark 07:00 - 16:00

0606Alaska.thumb.png.bb221bf392fd3e8538eace176d509f01.png

0606Atlantic.thumb.png.1012effc827b65302840f556d434f2b4.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 29

Posted (edited)

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

79 this AM with a high of 92.

Good selection of days, too bad that there are hardly any Drive In theaters anymore.

Not much can be done with the weather.

80 years ago today my father took part in the D-DAY invasion on the beaches of Normandy, thank God for the Greatest Generation and their bravery as they defeated the Axis enemies in WW 2. If you make it to New Orleans, a visit to the World War 2 Museum is a must with a large portion of it dedicated to D DAY, the whole experience of the museum brought tears to my eyes.

Have a great day and stay well.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 39
  • Thanks 3

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

I watched some of the D-Day commemoration ceremonies this morning from Juno Beach.  

We had rain yesterday afternoon and evening, it's a lot cooler this morning, I hope the humidity is over.

Amusing quote.

The meal sounds good, I'll pass on the drink but I'll try the wine.

Prayers for our world.

Have a wonderful day.

• Like 29

Hello and Happy Day to each of the Dailyites!!

Thak you for the Reports...

I won't wish each of us a Happy D Day, that would be strange...  but I will remember today is D Day and think of the sacrifices many gave for our freedom!!!

Gardening Exercise...  Yes, that's a perfect word for all the work it takes to do it correctly!!

I look forward to the frittata recipe -- It sounds delicious!!!

And, I've been to Tracy Arm Inlet -- I've seen those magnificent sights!!!  

• Like 27

Posted (edited)

Good morning friends!  Thursday means Copenhagen, Denmark for the Zuiderdam.  We were along side by 7 a.m.  Unfortunately we are docked far from town so there is a fee of $19.95pp for a shuttle ride to a drop off spot a short distance from the Little Mermaid statue.  It was a brisk 50 and windy at breakfast time, but at least the sun was out.  Clouds have moved in and there is a chance of afternoon showers.  Right now it's 59 so quite near our high temp of only 60. We took the shuttle bus ride and then walked 4 miles from there to NyHavn and back.  Unfortunately we just missed the returning shuttle bus by less than 1 minute and had to wait an additional 25 minutes for the next one, in the brutal wind.  I think a little nap is in order after I post.

Thanks Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the maps today.  Of course we can all recognize and honor the D-Day invasion in 1944.  In the good old days drive in movies were pretty popular but there aren’t that many anymore.  Hurray for creative educators. Gardening is certainly a good way to get some exercise but I found a sore back is what I usually got out of it.  Love the weather quote and will pass on the meal, drink and wine.  Thanks Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for your reports this morning.

Prayers for the Daily family and there are many of you with issues right now.  I hope for improvement for you all! Sorry to hear your wound seems to be infected Joy @Seasick Sailor.  Get that taken care of pronto!  Prayers also for DB, Alex’s baby boys, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the poor hostages, and the troops in the region.  Congrats to all who are celebrating special events and cruising.  Thanks Vanessa @JazzyV for once again coming through with the lists for us.  Great job!

The port today is Tracy Arm Inlet, Alaska.  This was the port before way back on April 28, 2021.  We went there once and I have photos but will have to redo them.  Here’s the link to the prior date for you.

Hoping you all have an enjoyable day.  Stay safe and keep well!

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 7

Negroni cocktail:

The Negroni is a popular Italian cocktail, made of one part gin, one part vermouth rosso, and one part Campari, garnished with orange peel. It is considered an apéritif. A traditionally made Negroni is stirred, not shaken, and built over ice in an old-fashioned or rocks glass and garnished with a slice of orange. Wikipedia

Ingredients:
1 oz (1 part) Campari,
1 oz (1 part) Gin,
1 oz (1 part) Sweet red Vermouth
Preparation: Stir into glass over ice, garnish and serve.
Served: On the rocks
Standard garnish: Orange peel
Drinkware: Old Fashioned glass

Screenshot 2024-06-06 at 6.40.08 AM.png

• Like 13
  • Thanks 19

Good morning.

Thank you for today's FR & D.

80 years today a great day in history D Day.

Pauline had a hairdresser appointment first thing so I dropped her off and went to the beach to wait with a McDonald's drive thru meal.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

IMG_20240606_084339.jpg

Screenshot_20240606_092854.jpg

Screenshot_20240606_092939.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 18

Thanks for our Thursday Daily, Rich and thanks to Vanessa, Debbie, Ann & Dixie.

Well i will certainly be trying to do Gardening Exercise day today and appreciate creative educators but they are overshadowed by the importance this date and remembering D-Day and those who fought and sacrificed for us.

IMG_2474.jpeg.48ed4ea8a9f101bbbaf25133be0fe72f.jpeg

If you have never been to Normandy, i urge you to go - whether you are American and go to Omaha Beach or Canadian and Juno Beach and see Canada House - the beacon for the landing and the only thing not destroyed there remarkably.  The Care that is given to the cemeteries and grounds is utterly amazing and moving.  The flags of the Allied countries still fly at many homes in gratitude.  Our visit was a very moving one and  really hits home the stark reality and appreciation what was sacrificed that day.

IMG_2475.jpeg.bf4539d2b7f7f867d86ae523c531b021.jpeg

My father was at Juno Beach, my uncle a prisoner of war & my Aunt in the Air Force - all fighting for our freedom like so many others.  Let us all remember and appreciate the fight for our freedom and democracy and do our utmost to honour their memory by protecting those two precious things.

IMG_2477.thumb.jpeg.aacfb3aaf8621e4c6e4c39656ac7b2be.jpeg

Prayers for all who need them today and cheers to those celebrating.

IMG_2476.jpeg.09c5e228f23916f4c1de5b1f292cc90b.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 24

I've been in Tracy Arm several times.  I know for a fact we were there twice in 2009 on B2B Sapphire Princess Alaska cruises, then again in 2019 on the Amsterdam 14 day Seattle round trip Alaska cruise.  That one was the best because we got to see the many smaller ports HAL provides with that itinerary.  Both times were in September and we celebrated our 40th and 50th wedding anniversaries on those cruises.

In 2019 I recall sitting in Crow's Nest and watching the many, many whales we saw in the Tracy Arm Inlet.  The waters were so calm.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

The bow of the Amsterdam

This Carnival ship left so that we could take our turn.

Getting closer to the Tracy Arm Glacier

Beautiful view!

And there it is

Seals napping on the ice

Turning around to leave

A very nice day 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 11

I hope I was a creative educator and am passing my ideas on to DD.  When we were in Anchorage we took a tour and the guide told of the man who tried to open a drive-in there.  Problem, of course, is it never got dark.  LOL

• Like 18
  • Haha 12

Nice collection of days and important day in history. Thank you @kazu for your touching pictures and words. Most recent trip to a drive-in was about 4 years ago - they were a huge part of my childhood & I miss them.

Would enjoy the frittata subbing broccoli 🥦 for the asparagus, pass on the drink, would try the wine, last time to the port was 2 years ago (no pictures) - look forward to seeing pictures, thanks @StLouisCruisers for yours. 

Yesterday's Dr visit (knee) resulted in an injection & PT. The shot hurt like crazy, something I don’t experience when they do my shoulders. She said she may have "tapped a ligament." Golly it hurt. I'm aligned w/doing what it takes to avoid surgery. She said it was a pretty significant tear, but sounded hopeful. Someone should buy stock in the PT place...🫣

Today is OT, PT and work (how do I fit it in?). The therapies are in different locations, about 20 min drive between them, so there's a chunk of the day.

Currently 68° w/87% humidity headed to sunny 97°. No flood warning today; rain forecasted to return Wed.

Prayers 🙏 and positive thoughts for all.

20240606_050130.thumb.jpg.32580074eaedfecea1e2238d7386bdf3.jpg

20240606_050209.thumb.jpg.40ac3ce7351e55302da82dd62ebf3dcf.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Today’s Care List:

Kazu with foot infection and having foot pain

Seasick Sailor with an ankle wound, on antibiotics but with drainage/swelling

Cruzin Terri’s DH Jim with a fall and leg wound

Lazey1 recovering from Covid

Flooding and storms across the US, with loss of life

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness

Vict0riann’s biopsy results

RMLincoln’s DH with glaucoma issues, medication allergy, surgery

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Cruzin Terri and DH in Barbados

Rafinmd’s church member Paul with pneumonia, discharged to home

Nickelpenny post back surgery, doing well, good report from surgeon

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

2 days for Suslor (Rotterdam June 8 to June 29) 21d Midnight Sun & Norse Legends

2 days for swin26 (Rotterdam June 8 to June 22) 14d North Cape & The Midnight Sun

3 days for Cruzn single (Westerdam June 9 to July 7) 28d Alaska Arctic Circle Solstice

Mr. Boston (Volendam to June 8 ) 7d Canada/New England Discovery, Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage), Luvteaching (Majestic Princess to June 9) Alaska Inside Passage, StLouisCruisers (Zuiderdam to June 8 ) 28d Passage to Normandy & Baltic Jewels + Zuiderdam (June 8 to July 20) 42d Ultimate Viking Explorer & Passage and Mtn2Sea (Zuiderdam to June 8 ) 28d Passage to Normandy & Baltic Jewels

• Like 19
  • Thanks 19

21 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I've been in Tracy Arm several times.  I know for a fact we were there twice in 2009 on B2B Sapphire Princess Alaska cruises, then again in 2019 on the Amsterdam 14 day Seattle round trip Alaska cruise.  That one was the best because we got to see the many smaller ports HAL provides with that itinerary.  Both times were in September and we celebrated our 40th and 50th wedding anniversaries on those cruises.

In 2019 I recall sitting in Crow's Nest and watching the many, many whales we saw in the Tracy Arm Inlet.  The waters were so calm.

The bow of the Amsterdam

This Carnival ship left so that we could take our turn.

Getting closer to the Tracy Arm Glacier

Beautiful view!

And there it is

Seals napping on the ice

Turning around to leave

A very nice day 

Beautiful photos Sandi.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! Another gorgeous day. Hoping for another windy day that keeps the heat manageable. But we need rain. My County and the one just North of me have issued No Burn Notices until further notice. No serious rain is in sight for awhile. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with us. I need to remember to read your list before I post in the morning. Hope all is going well with BFF. Has anyone else noticed we seem to have a foot/ankle/leg trend? 

Gym, Bindi walks, semi-annual (hurricane season) generator maintenance, chores & pool time. Should keep me busy. 

IMG_4710.jpeg.8773b7d68215fd8ea5d6410d114a386a.jpeg

IMG_2892.jpeg.45b7c7dea7f1cc0eff5ba604d7d82cb8.jpeg

IMG_2610.jpeg.f4ce1552ad8dc237a73ebbbeea594c1f.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating.

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

2020 Pinot Noir, Villa Wolf, Pfalz

This German PN has lots of consumer fans, though I didn’t find a great deal of info about this vintage. It is easy to find and reasonably priced. Online prices start at $14.99.

Note: the 2022 vintage has some great reviews, so if you want to try this wine, you might prefer to try this vintage. 

Distributor notes

Sustainable Farming

Vegan

This 250+ years-old estate takes advantage of the warm, dry climate of the Pfalz to produce a brilliant Pinot Noir.Starting with sustainable farming using no pesticides or herbicides the harvesting and selecting is done by hand. The wine is aged 50/50 in stainless and oak.Bright tart cherry and raspberry bramble is backed by ashy earth and warm spice. Definitely a find.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 13
  • Haha 3

Happy Thursday. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Remembering all of those who fought and died in Normandy. 

Pin on america

Preparing to check into my flight for Saturday. Have to get up extremely early to get to the airport by 6 am. Expecting some rain today. Busy day for me as I wrap up my week. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Happy Thursday ~tomorrow is Friday ~ | Tomorrow is friday, Cats, Happy ...

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I honor all who protected our freedom on DDay.  From LeHavre, we took a moving and educational tour with Overlord Tours.  Our guide pointed out the Star of David on several of the crosses. Unimaginable bravery.IMG_8219.thumb.jpeg.91a10d6cad03ec5b5703ea3433c805de.jpeg

A bit of information about the Creative Educators International Network, they are a non-profit, based in Washington, D.C. who implement Value-Creating Education in different ways and in diverse settings around the world. Their vision is to protect and advance the dignity of life for a peaceful, sustainable world through Value Creating Education. Their mission is to expand the network of diverse educators and individuals committed to creating sustainable communities through courageous dialogue and effective actions.

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Copenhagen, Denmark for the Zuiderdam. Unfortunately we are docked far from town so there is a fee of $19.95pp for a shuttle ride to a drop off spot a short distance from the Little Mermaid statue. 

We will be there in August with another couple docking in Oceankaj.  I have explored public transportation (~5US pp one way) options and the cost of a taxi (~40US one way) to Nyhavn where we would like to begin our day with a canal cruise.  Do you recommend the shuttle?  Is there only one pick up spot? Thank you for any insight you can provide on Copenhagen.  I hope you are feeling better and enjoying the cruise despite the rainy weather.

Unusual weather for MD last night.  Several tornado warnings for our area caused us to retreat to the basement.  Minor wind damage close to my home, but the main problem near me was the 5+ inches of rain causing flash flooding. I am thinking of everyone who is experiencing weather issues especially those who live in areas with the extreme heat warnings.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone!

It is shaping up to be a nice day here in mid-Michigan. We are supposed to have sunshine and temps in the mid 70's.  Not much on the agenda today after yoga except a trip to the grocery store and making a cake for DSIL's birthday tomorrow.  She likes pecan pie, so I'm trying a pecan pie cake.  

I sewed the binding on my quilt and now just have to sew it down on the other side.  That is hand work, so I will do what I can each evening until the quilt gets too hot.  I went to buy more fabric, but the store closed at 3 pm.  We may make a run out there today.  

@Seasick Sailor Joy, if you didn't go to Urgent Care last night, I hope you are on your way now.  

Today's meal sounds good and easy to do.  I might substitute something for the leeks or just leave them out.  I like @Haljo1935's idea of broccoli.  Asparagus Frittata

frittatawithasparagusandleeks1.jpg.8ddb134c2cb194dd43f99534b4984dfa.jpg

This next one leaves out the leeks. Frittata with Asparagus

frittatawithasparagusandleeks2.thumb.jpeg.70cbbfa176c67b1c6866e41709d59bbf.jpeg

This recipe replaces the leeks with prosciutto.  That sounds good!   Bacon would work as well.  Frittata with Prosciutto

frittatawithasparagusandleeks3.thumb.jpg.353c1951a07db3ce09339109942a5eb1.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 14

Good morning everyone, I guess I jumped the gun on D-Day but it is worth celebrating for a month in my book.   Thanks for the maps and days Rich!  I will hope to celebrate garden exercise day today.   My back is better today after being careful with sitting yesterday.   A true quote.  I haven't been to Tracy Arm so thank you starting our day with the sunny Alaska photos Sandi.  We were there in September and I don't think we had more than an hour or two of sun the whole cruise.

I will pass on the frittata, the Negroni but would really enjoy a German Pinot Noir.  

Thanks for the Cares and Celebrations reports Vanessa.  Continuing prayers for Chuck, Tana, Jim, @Vict0riann and Jacqui.   @Seasick SailorI hope they get your ankle infection cleared up quickly, it seems extremity ones are tougher. Prayers for others  in our group who are ailing or grieving.   Prayers for all in war zones, Ukraine, the remaining hostages and the innocents in Gaza.  

I am using a Tens unit my lower back right now.  When we were putting in the boat into the lake my neighbor heard about my back and brought her Tens unit over when she was walking her dog.  I could feel it so I am hoping that will be a little extra help, tapering to 30mg of prednisone today and tomorrow.  We got our boat launched at our neighbor's yesterday and we dodged the rain and happily as been noted this year the mosquitoes were less prevalent.   We took a boat ride around the lake to see any changes and happily got a lot of pings in the fish finder.  Hopefully it won't rain all day so I can get some of that gardening exercise.  

Some photos from our visit in 2003 to the Normandy Beaches.  Thanks to all who lost their lives to protect the freedom from tyranny.  Nancy 

US Cemetery, Pt. Du Hoc where the first part of the land invasion began - our Army Rangers had to shelter in those artillery divots, our Battlebus tour guide in St. Mere Eglise at the longest day church, Mulberries the artificial harbors made out of concrete and floated to near Sword or Juno Beach, my late DH in front of one of the many bunkers along the landing beaches.  If the Naval Captains hadn't disobeyed directions and began to shoot their guns it was doubtful these would have been disabled.  I cannot wait to return to that area, it started a love of WWII history in me.  

Cemetary at Normandy.jpg

Pt. du Hoc.jpg

Battlebus owner St. Mere Eglise - Longest day site.jpg

Mulberries by sword beach.jpg

Normandy artillery box Gary '03.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 8

Good morning to all.

I, like many of you, honor those who so bravely defended freedom on the beaches of Normandy 80 years ago.  I have been to Normandy and it is an extremely moving experience.  

Thank you Rich for the Daily and Fleet Report.  Thank you Vanessa for the Cares report and for including DH on that list.  Thank you to the F&B Ladies, Ann, Dixie, and Debbie.

Prayers for those on the Cares List.

@Seasick Sailor I hope you get your wound attended to.  

@kazu I hope your foot heals quickly,

@lazey1 I hope you recover soon from Covid.

@Vict0riann prayers for you 

@smitty34877 prayers for you and your family—especially Tana

@RMLincoln prayers for your DH as he deals with his eye problems.

Prayers for all who need them, whether you know it or not.

Cheers and congratulations to thos celebrating and cruising.

DH is still sleeping.  I will call him in a bit so that we can have breakfast and start our day. 

Last night we did not eat here at the resort since it was a theme night and we were not very happy with the menu.  When I asked about alternative dining I was told there was none.  I am still wondering why I chose an all-inclusive this time.  I thought it would be easier.  Looks like it is time for this place to be refurbished.  Anyway, we will get through it.

I have just watched the ceremony at Normandy.  Very nice.

Hope everyone has a good day.  I am happy to see sunshine today.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Haljo1935 said:

...Currently 68° w/87% humidity headed to sunny 97°. No flood warning today; rain forecasted to return Wed.

Prayers 🙏 and positive thoughts for all.

20240606_050130.thumb.jpg.32580074eaedfecea1e2238d7386bdf3.jpg

Apparently I've lost my ability to read days of the week - rain expected to return Mon, not Wed.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Good Thursday Morning Dailyites!  The sun is shining down into the "hollar" , the sky to the west is dark and while it says 72 and mostly sunny, it earlier said expect morning rains.

We had a very good visit with the new dermatologist.  Emory is a medical school, and hospital so DH had the doctor, the intern and a medical student.  They all asked him questions, he had his notebook with him, with all the medical terms written down, but they spoke in "English" which was good, because DH  went into a brain fart, and couldnt remember his notes, and big medical terms.  And when he does that, he shuts his eyes, and that is when I notice that the doctor stops talking directly to him, and switches over to me.

The hole in his face is either cancer or it is that the skin that he had so many surgeries on, just is old and can no longer stick together. Especially with him rubbing it all the time. So step one, an MRI of the head and neck. If it shows as cancer near the hole, then they will send him for surgery and try to repair, if it is not then he will be sent to the ENT and they will do surgery, and somehow close the hole. The doctor noticed a lump on DH's neck, could be a swollen lymph node which means that the immunotherapy is working, which is good, If the lump is cancer, not good.   He had option A and option B.  He also said, that the oncologist may have to change the type of immunotherapy. And after all the plans were laid out, DH started complaining that no one will help him. And I stop him during this rant, and tell him we're OK, DR Blalock just laid out a good plan. I also requested that all calls come to the home phone, not DH's cell phone, as he will get messages and not pass them on.  NOW that is something that the doc understands, so a good start.

We moved the older cats to the back rooms with their crunchies and litter and water, (they were not happy, the scratches on my arm indicate that)  and let the kittens and their momma in to the house, oh they played and ran around and crawled under the furniture and climbed on the furniture, played in Tiggers tube toy,. and I went out on the porch, swept up the floor, threw out any thing that was paper, found their toys everywhere, picked them all up, and vacuumed.  Hmmm.  Ollie and Momma would not leave the porch (they were the last 2 in the house, decided they didnt like it and went back to the porch) and they suffered through the vacuuming. But the  little ones inside hid under the furniture until I stopped, and then came back out.  Well two did, where was #3 ? Sound asleep under the sofa.  After they all passed out, I fixed their dinner, picked them up, put them back on the porch, and closed the porch back up. 

Opened the doors for the indoorians to come back to the den, and two did, but where was Bob?

He had opened the sliding doors to the bedroom closet and moved in,  wouldn't budge until I went to bed. He stayed with me for a while, and then took off, did he come to eat? no.  He moved into Tazi's room, and was sleeping on the futon this morning.  This cat can hold a grudge!  

@MISTER 67 I agree with you on the WWII museum in New Orleans, one of the best history museums in the US.

We watched Band of Brothers a few weeks ago, I try to watch it before June every year, to remind me of the  history and  the sacrifice that the Greatest Generation made for us. I read that Alhambra in Granada is the second most visited site in Europe.  What was the first? Had to look that up,...turns out it is the building in Austria that housed the Third Reich.

0ebfdbb6999055732d5dae89f1445faa.jpg

funny-cat-happy-thursday-morning-yxd7gzlw727756x6.gif

• Like 24
  • Thanks 4