The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday June 14th, 2024

54 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

I have often thought that we grew up in the same house! We have a lot of similar experiences. As good as Joy’s recipe sounds I don’t think I could eat it. Ever!

We're on the same page, Terry!  When we were kids we knew not to say we didn't like something.  It was eat it or go hungry.  Mom was not afraid to remind us that she was not a short order cook.  

22 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good early afternoon!  Happy Friday!  Craig put out the new flag he just bought early this morning.  I don’t think I’ve ever had Chop Suey. I have a few books on my DM’s family history that she gave me recently. Very interesting. A relative, I believe one of her aunts, wrote one of the books and even went to the small town in England where distant relatives lived and were buried. She even has some pictures.  

I have been to the town in Ireland where my mom's grandparents came from several times.  I also took my mom to the town where her father was born.  When he was born it was Austria, but it is now the Czech Republic.  

22 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

We have our DGD here for a while. It’s summertime and not much for her to do except get in trouble while DS and his SO are working. They caught her with a boy they didn’t want her seeing and things went south so we are trying to keep her busy. I am teaching her how to make the no knead bread she loves so much. Craig has been taking her on errands and bought her a book to read. Hopefully I can get her in the pool for some exercise. 

Teenagers are here to make sure we are worthy of leadership.  Constant testing.  It is good that you and Craig are there for her.  You wouldn't have to coax me to get in the pool.  

• Like 18

OK girls, what ingredient in my recipe do you not like?

Try it once with all fresh ingredients. 

My stepmother used to make "chop suey" from cans. It was disgusting. And worse, her meat choice was hamburger!! So many times I would stop at McDonald's before I came home. She was the worst cook in the world. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good early afternoon!  Happy Friday!  Craig put out the new flag he just bought early this morning.  I don’t think I’ve ever had Chop Suey. I have a few books on my DM’s family history that she gave me recently. Very interesting. A relative, I believe one of her aunts, wrote one of the books and even went to the small town in England where distant relatives lived and were buried. She even has some pictures.  

We have our DGD here for a while. It’s summertime and not much for her to do except get in trouble while DS and his SO are working. They caught her with a boy they didn’t want her seeing and things went south so we are trying to keep her busy. I am teaching her how to make the no knead bread she loves so much. Craig has been taking her on errands and bought her a book to read. Hopefully I can get her in the pool for some exercise. 

Bon Voyage @Lady Hudson!

Safe travels home @Cruzin Terri!

Roy @rafinmd, thinking of you today while you have your medical tests and your DB’s Heavenly Birthday. 

Have a great day everyone!

Sharon, I'm glad you and Craig are there for your DGD.

1 hour ago, durangoscots said:

Good afternoon. Work on the condo is finished for now..... more to be done late summer or early Fall, but I have to get that room cleared out. They did a good job of cleaning up too. Now I am back to sorting and tossing at full steam (or as much steam as I can manage). Dogs are exhausted from snoopervising.

Susan

Susan, I bet your glad to get your place to yourself and the dogs after the last few days.

Lenda

• Like 13

41 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

My stepmother used to make "chop suey" from cans. It was disgusting. And worse, her meat choice was hamburger!! So many times I would stop at McDonald's before I came home. She was the worst cook in the world. 

I think my mother used a lot of cans. I will try to be open minded!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

51 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

My stepmother used to make "chop suey" from cans

Yes. My mother used canned bamboo shoots and bean sprouts. Oddly, from today's POV, she made it with veal, but it wasn't so expensive then.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

We eat a lot of Chinese food in our house but I don't think I have ever eaten something called Chop Suey.  Have never seen it listed on a menu at a Chinese restaurant either.  

Put my flag up this morning for Flag Day.  Think I may have to replace it soon.  I bought it in 1976 at a Bicentennial sale, so it is 48 years old.  Still have the box it came in - the price was $1.76 at the Navy Exchange at Subic Bay, Philippines.  A good thing about it is that it was made in the USA.

Ray

• Like 20
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Your recipe looks good but I think the memories of bad chop suey are causing the problem! But with fresh ingredients and chicken or beef it would be very good.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I like all your ingredients and agree with you that you should use all fresh ingredients. 

1 hour ago, dfish said:

We're on the same page, Terry!  When we were kids we knew not to say we didn't like something.  It was eat it or go hungry.  Mom was not afraid to remind us that she was not a short order cook.  

I have been to the town in Ireland where my mom's grandparents came from several times.  I also took my mom to the town where her father was born.  When he was born it was Austria, but it is now the Czech Republic.  

Teenagers are here to make sure we are worthy of leadership.  Constant testing.  It is good that you and Craig are there for her.  You wouldn't have to coax me to get in the pool.  

Thank you Debbie!  We will have to see what happens next.  I’m taking it day by day. I wish you were here to enjoy our pool but I don’t think you would like our weather. 

1 hour ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

I love the snoopervising! Will have to remember that one.

Susie

Me too!

50 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Sharon, I'm glad you and Craig are there for your DGD.

Susan, I bet your glad to get your place to yourself and the dogs after the last few days.

Lenda

Thank you Lenda. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, USN59-79 said:

We eat a lot of Chinese food in our house but I don't think I have ever eaten something called Chop Suey.  Have never seen it listed on a menu at a Chinese restaurant either.  

Put my flag up this morning for Flag Day.  Think I may have to replace it soon.  I bought it in 1976 at a Bicentennial sale, so it is 48 years old.  Still have the box it came in - the price was $1.76 at the Navy Exchange at Subic Bay, Philippines.  A good thing about it is that it was made in the USA.

Ray

Sounds like the best $1.76 investment ever. Great story!

• Like 12

12 hours ago, richwmn said:

Today is ................................., and Flag Day................................

71uaoQgNdmL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

People Explain The True Meaning Behind Country Flags, And You May Not Like  Your Flags Explanation | DeMilked

71qgnuVSYLL._SL1500_.jpg

People Hilariously Explain True Meaning Of Country Flags, And You May Not  Like The Result | Bored Panda

713PZ7phvcL._SL1500_.jpg

Funny-Flag-Country-Color-Jokes

The Humans Just Live Here With Us - Funny Personalized Cat Garden Flag.

51WFGIf+d8L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Funny/Humorous Flags – Just For Fun Flags

• Like 10
  • Haha 13

Well, we booked this morning.

Got maps from Autoclub this afternoon. Looking forward to seeing Plymouth Plantation and Nova Scotia, (home of many (apparent) Tory sympathizer-ancestors), even just for a short port stop. 

• Like 16

4 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I think it was the celery that was in it.  I didn't care for cooked celery.  It needs to be chopped up finer for me than what my mom did.  It was in big chunks.  In defense of our moms, canned was probably the only option at the time.  We didn't have the variety of produce back then.  Living in a smaller town, we didn't have an Asian grocery.  So, they did the best they could.

3 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Thank you Debbie!  We will have to see what happens next.  I’m taking it day by day. I wish you were here to enjoy our pool but I don’t think you would like our weather. 

I probably wouldn't like the weather full time.  Winter might not be so bad.  Sue and I were talking about winter get aways and we considered spending a January or February in Arizona.  No decisions made.  This coming January we will be in South America, so it would have to be 2026.  

Farkle was fun tonight and I even won a game!   

• Like 14

22 minutes ago, dfish said:

I think it was the celery that was in it.  I didn't care for cooked celery.  It needs to be chopped up finer for me than what my mom did.  It was in big chunks.  In defense of our moms, canned was probably the only option at the time.  We didn't have the variety of produce back then.  Living in a smaller town, we didn't have an Asian grocery.  So, they did the best they could.

I probably wouldn't like the weather full time.  Winter might not be so bad.  Sue and I were talking about winter get aways and we considered spending a January or February in Arizona.  No decisions made.  This coming January we will be in South America, so it would have to be 2026.  

Farkle was fun tonight and I even won a game!   

Historically, December is our coldest month in Quartzsite, but January and February can be cold too.  However, compared to Michigan,it is probably balmy.  That is why we cruise in winter from Q.

Lenda

• Like 10

42 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Historically, December is our coldest month in Quartzsite, but January and February can be cold too.  However, compared to Michigan,it is probably balmy.  That is why we cruise in winter from Q.

Lenda

I think you need to define cold for us.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

2 minutes ago, dfish said:

I think you need to define cold for us.  

Granted what is cold for thin bloodied Texans is not cold for those from more northern regions, but our highs can be in the  50s and 60s, damp and windy.  On a cruise in Iceland, Alaska,  or Norway okay, but day to day in Arizona, not fun.  We go to Arizona in the winter because it can be better than Texas.  Operative word is can.

Lenda

• Like 10

Posted (edited)

Good job, Mavs🏀 uphill battle, but we're still in it w/the series at 1-3.🫡🥳

Not great pictures, but there's an awesome drone show over Dallas.

20240614_221951.thumb.jpg.4f49b18d7dd7b83cf01a1e4a9dec6e44.jpg

20240614_222018.thumb.jpg.6260ee03397b6b98910caf09246f7182.jpg

And it's 86° at 10:15pm - ugh.

20240614_221608.thumb.jpg.7da09ab2e4c341c6e69d03a660d1a386.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Additional comment
  • Like 7

Andrew said I could work up to but not more than 40 hours a week if I wanted to.  He doesn't want to share me.  He did tell me once I would always be welcome to work for CTG in LA, and Hollywood Bowl, so I guess I will just have to get used to taking April off.  And it seems that I really do have a "home".  Too bad the best hours are past my bedtime.

I also joined back as a patron of the museum that I used to be able to go to for free.  The High Museum of Art. I will only work 2 hours this Friday coming up,(after my dr's appt) and then Fridays will be off!  Yay!  Now we belong to 2 museums, and in the fall the free Friday concerts will start back up at Emory University.  Chuck is getting me a late birthday gift of the science museum. So, Science, Antiquities and Art, and throw in the free music. And the chorale group we buy a season package for, and our county symphony, and I have a life that is not just work!

By the way, Georgia is too hot.  I got transferred here a day before my friend and I were going to order our cross country skis-45 years ago. In those 45 years, I would have been able to use the skis 4 times.  I miss snow, and cold.  And right now we are 10 degrees above where we are supposed to be.  I dont even go out for the mail until the sun has set, and thank goodness the dog doesnt mind being walked in the shade in the mornings.Its like menopause 24/7 for years here.  I dont know why hot doesnt bother me when I am in Mexico on a beach, floating in the water....time for another kiddy pool.

The kittens get their vaccines next week, and then the vet will let them in the house where the "boys" are.  I do want to get Tiggers claws clipped before we move the kids in.  He looks at them as if they are toys.  Bob still growls through the screen at them, and they back up, and Furnando could care less so we will introduce him to them first.  I told him he could have his own kitten...DH says "we are not keeping three kittens" but i think it would break my heart to let Turnip go.  Better to have them inside and know love, than be an outside cat in this neighborhood.  And the girl that wanted one for her mom, doesnt need one now, and the girl who wanted the black one, only wanted him if his eyes stayed blue.  They didn't.  And of course we will get Munchkin spayed and move her in too. 

@NickelpennyThank you, that was the cartoon I wanted to send my boss.  I have a copy on my wall(work station) . You are an angel!

Gosh-Youre-Such-An-Angel-Meme.jpg

All-those-years-taking-care-of-me-Angel-Meme.png

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Thank you Rich @richwmn for the HAL Fleet locations and the opportunity for dailyites to post their news.

Weather wise a dismal day, frequent fog, some rain, was surprised that the temperature rose to 11 C.  Went for a walk between showers.

Made  Carrot and Kumara soup.

Roasted a Leg of Lamb for dinner.....after DH skillfully dissected out the bone.

@kazu  sorry that you have  to wait a fortnight for the result of the CT scan.

@durangoscots   "Snoopervise'  perfectly describes our cat, she follows me, checking  what is happening around the house.

@Cruzin Terri  sorry that your holiday in Barbados was such a disappointment. Travel safely  home tomorrow.,

Goodnight all.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, durangoscots said:

Good afternoon. Work on the condo is finished for now..... more to be done late summer or early Fall, but I have to get that room cleared out. They did a good job of cleaning up too. Now I am back to sorting and tossing at full steam (or as much steam as I can manage). Dogs are exhausted from snoopervising.

Susan

Hi Susan!

Sounds like you have been pretty busy with the work on your home. IMO, it is always more work than it appears to be.

I may have to borrow your word "snoopervising"...it is a great word!

Get some rest and take care. 

Caron 😎

• Like 6