The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday June 19th, 2024

Juneteenth

Today is Garfield the Cat Day, International Day For The Elimination of Sexual Violence, and National BSD Day

I am simply trying to struggle through life; trying to do God's bidding -- George Lucas

Meal Suggestion for today - Spinach Feta Filo Pie
Drink of the Day - Gimlet
Wine of the Day - Sena 2021 (750ML)
Destination of the Day - Dutch Harbor, Alaska, US

Today in History:
1829 Robert Peel introduces the Metropolitan Police Act 1829 into Parliament to establish a unified police force for London, the city's 1st modern police force

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Sitka, Baranof Island Alaska 08:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Juneau, Alaska 10:00 - 21:30

Nieuw Statendam

Firth of Forth Anchorage, Scotland ovnt - 17:00

Noordam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 21:00

Oosterdam

Valletta, Malta ovnt - 16:00

Rotterdam

Invergordon, Scotland 08:00 - 17:00

Volendam

Sydney NS, Nova Scotia Canada 08:00 - 17:00

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Nome, Alaska eta 06-21

Zaandam

Vancouver, BC Canada 7:00-16:00

Zuiderdam

at sea

0619World.thumb.png.a7671cf8af3d86f3a7668bedcdc4e071.png

• Like 12
  • Thanks 29

Gimlet Cocktail:

The gimlet is a cocktail made of gin and lime juice. A 1928 description of the drink was: gin, and a spot of lime. The description in the 1953 Raymond Chandler novel The Long Goodbye stated that "a real gimlet is half gin and half Rose's lime juice cordial and nothing else." Wikipedia
Main alcohol: Gin
Ingredients: Four parts Gin, One part sweetened Lime Juice
Preparation: Mix and serve. Garnish with a slice of lime.
Served: Straight or on the rocks
Standard garnish: Lime
Drinkware: Cocktail glass

Screenshot 2024-06-19 at 6.30.13 AM.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 21

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.  Happy Hump Day.

Another hot one here, yesterday with the humidex it got to 41°C (106°F).  It looks like this heat will continue for a while.

Interesting days to observe.

I like the quote.

I'll pass on the meal, I'd like the drink, not sure about the wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them.  I hope there are lots of reasons to celebrate.

Have a good day.  Stay cool.

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

Good morning friends!  It’s Wednesday and Zuiderdam is at sea destination Reykjavik, Iceland eta 6/21.  The temp this morning is a balmy 43F, skies are overcast and winds are out of the NE at 13.5 mph.  We are scooting along at 16 knots.  Today is dressy night and I have no plans to do anything outside my room other than eat.  And I’m not eating much of anything right now, just enough to keep my strength up.  My cold is better but my stomach is upset with me and I have no idea what to fill it with that would please it.  A good time to have some sea days.

Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the fleet location maps.  Wow on the diversity of subjects for our days to recognize.  None of the food and beverages sound appetizing to me, but it was an important day in London Police history from back in 1829.  Thanks to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for their reports today.

Prayers for all here on the Daily Care list, DB, Alex’s growing boys, the people in Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, and our military over there protecting us.  Cheers to all celebrating a special event or cruising.  And thanks to Vanessa @JazzyV for the C&C lists each day!

The destination today is a new one – Dutch Harbor, Alaska.  I’m well aware of the port from TV’s Deadliest Catch program but have never been there before.  I have it on the itinerary on my 2025 summer cruise so perhaps it will happen after all.  No links today and no pictures from me.  Please share if you have some.

Well, time to crawl under the covers and read, or sleep, or do some cross stitching.  Time flies at sea so you really never get as much done as you think you will.  Hope you all have a nice day, and try to stay safe and keep well!

• Like 36

Posted (edited)

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

It’s 75 and humid this AM with a high of 88 with our usual summer afternoon showers coming up.

Good selection of days as is the quote.

Being of Greek ancestry I absolutely love Spinach Pie, never had it without feta cheese, DW who is not Greek makes an excellent Spinach Pie.

We’ve been to Alaska but not port.

Last night we lost one of the greatest and most exciting baseball players of all time, the Say Hey Kid Willie Mays died at age 93, I was lucky enough to see him play a few times in the late 1950s at Wrigley Field in Chicago, was able to get his autograph also and no I don’t have it anymore, I had hundreds of baseball cards, scorecards, many autographs and other baseball collectibles from the 1950s and threw most of them away in my teenage years, had no idea they would eventually be worth some big bucks.

Have a great day and stay well.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 36
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon.

Thank you for today's FR&D.

3 important days.

Sad quote if anyone is struggling through life.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

Prayers 🙏 offered to help anyone they will help.

I hope everyone has a happy and healthy day.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Happy Wednesday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

The heat wave continues today. 90 and blazing sun today. I think I will stay in the air conditioning today. Got a little overheated yesterday just watering the plants. I will be focusing on my classes today. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating.

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Happy Wednesday Morning Quotes with Beautiful Wednesday images | Funny ...

• Like 36
  • Thanks 1

Today’s Care List:

Kazu with foot infection and having foot pain

Cruzin Terri feeling ill from Covid

Cruising-along with stomach/flu symptoms

RIP Willie Mays

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness

Cruzin Terri’s DH Jim with memory and anxiety issues

RMLincoln’s DH with glaucoma issues, medication allergy, surgery

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy 76th Birthday to SusieKIslandGirl’s DH (Loren)!

Rafinmd back to his normal walk

StLouisCruiser’s cough improving

Cruisercl booking the 2026 GANZ cruise

Overhead Fred and DW at Canada Cottage

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

Lady Hudson (Symphony of the Seas to June 21) 7 Night Bahamas & Perfect Day Cruise, with twin sister Karen, swin26 (Rotterdam to June 22) 14d North Cape & The Midnight Sun, Himself (Eurodam to June 22) 7 Day Alaska Explorer, Suslor (Rotterdam to June 29) 21d Midnight Sun & Norse Legends, Cruzn single (Westerdam to July 7) 28d Alaska Arctic Circle Solstice and  StLouisCruisers (Zuiderdam to July 20) 42d Ultimate Viking Explorer & Passage

• Like 24
  • Thanks 18

Posted (edited)

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

The country just lost a man who was probably the greatest baseball player in history. RIP Willie Mays.

Lately we have been having a plumbing problem in the house for at least two months that has been very elusive. It started with our water bill showing increased usage over the last two billing cycles. Sue pays that bill and didn't mention it. She finally did make a comment as I had noticed that one of the toilet valves was leaking ever so slightly. Changed the valve and created another problem. The valve sounded like a foghorn just about - but not - every time it was used. Called the manufacturer who suggested I get a different model flush valve. While I was at the "Depot" I also purchased a water pressure gauge. Normal house pressure is about 35-50 psi. The next day I had the city come out to verify that the pressure reducing valve had broken. The house was getting the full 100-110 psi delivered by the city! Sue doesn't want me tackling the job so I arranged for a plumber for the 26th. This is the first time in five houses that I ever had this problem.

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 37
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! Yesterday was lovely, but even though the radar showed it was raining on my house - it was not raining on my house!🤬 This morning’s wind is strong enough to turn the ceiling fans on my patio inside the pool enclosure. Hope our trash folk come early enough to avoid our big bins being blown over. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with all of us. I really appreciate you!

Bindi walks, manicure - boy, do I need this one, HIIT, chores and wrapping up the day at my favorite local wine bar. 

IMG_3025.jpeg.0d14cb4682ac9b327b868cb9d1218db9.jpeg

IMG_3012.jpeg.c5e35c4db4eccf69ba855ae2bb0b52d4.jpeg

IMG_3018.jpeg.4cd226b17fd4e9955fac893f231428f5.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. @Cruzin Terri, Terri, I hope you get better. I like your idea of getting medical help. Who knows there maybe something available to help.

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today!

Seña 2021 (750ML)

This Chadwick - Mondavi Bordeaux-style, biodynamic red blend helped bring Chile’s wines to the attention of the world. And it is a star. I’d love a taste, but it is outside of my budget. Easy to find. Online prices start at $125.00.

Critic reviews

• 100James Suckling
    An extremely pure and elegant vintage for Seña. This is really fresh, nimble and floral on the nose with subtle cherries, plums, redcurrants and wild lavender. More red fruit here with lots of layers and just a touch of sweet spice. Very discreet and subtle, with the elegance, freshness and poise you’d expect from 2021. Medium- to full-bodied on the palate with a bit more flesh and depth if you compare it with Roca de Seña, their second wine. The impeccable tannins show the supreme quality of the fruit this year. Persistent, seamless finish, but comes in a subtle way. 50% cabernet sauvignon, 27% malbec, 17% carmenere and 6% petit verdot. Effortlessly drinkable now, but it will age beautifully.
  • 98Robert Parker's Wine Advocate
    One of the finest vintages of the iconic Seña wine, the 2021 Seña comes from a cooler year, following the path of 2016 and 2018, certainly cooler than 2020 and 2019. It has a super expressive nose that is elegant, nuanced, perfumed, subtle and pure, with aromatic finesse, layered and complex. It was picked a couple of weeks later than in the previous two years and still keeping the alcohol below 14%. It was produced with a blend of 50% Cabernet Sauvignon, 27% Malbec (cooler years with more), 17% Carmenere and 6% Petit Verdot, fermented mostly in stainless steel and 10% in oak foudre. It's fine-grained and structured but juicy, similar to 2018 but with more finesse. It has the spicy/herbal twist from the Cabernet, ultra-refined tannins that give it great elegance and with length, purity and delineation. Superb! Rating: 98+
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 13
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Good morning everyone.  RIP Willie Mays.  Happy Juneteenth.  Thanks for the map and Daily @richwmn.  Another day to recognize a serious problem, sexual violence.  Go Garfield.  Don't know about the other day.   A good quote by Lucas.  I will pass on the spinach but I used to drink gimlets in my 20s and would like another sometime but it seems I prefer darker colored spirits these days.  I had Sena on the Volendam when our Cellar Master Fernando had it in the premium wine tasting lineup.   I have not been to today's port.

Thanks for the Cares and Celebrations reports @JazzyV.  Sandi I hope you can beat that bad cold on your next couple of sea days.  You are right about how quickly the sea days go past.  Prayers for Tana, Chuck, Terrie and Jacqui and everyone else who is ailing or grieving.   Prayers for the people of Ukraine, the hostages and the innocents in Gaza.  

Our heat ended in the middle of the night when a cool front moved through.  About three different waves of lightning, thunder, downpours and wind.   I hope it clears out so that I can work outside today.   The cabin stayed cool high of76 as we shut it up after all but it was really humid inside so the wind in the middle of the night was very welcome.   Have a lovely Wednesday!  Nancy

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 35
  • Thanks 1

IMG_0579.thumb.webp.c48d38f627ba0d895452c2f6282f5236.webp

If you want to celebrate Garfield, today would be a good day to sit in a cool theater and enjoy the new movie. The free operating system BDS was used as a teaching tool in computer classes at my former school.

I love spinach pie but find filo hard to work with.  Looking forward to the recipes, maybe I’ll get some tips.

Positive thoughts to those who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 4

Thanks for our Hump Day Daily, Rich and thanks to Vanessa, Dixie, Debbie & Ann.

Juneteenth is a great day to celebrate along with the other days.

The heat wave arrived here yesterday but I’m not complaining (yet).  I’ll take heat over cold.  LOL.  Just have to be careful with Ivan and kept his activity outside to early morning and later in the day as much as possible.

IMG_2498.jpeg.df18a59745467f4ae0a159ea56683ac2.jpeg

He’s off to get groomed today and I have appointments while he is there.  None of them are any “fun” but it is what it is.

IMG_1866.thumb.jpeg.50fcf1e12848039910b6d2b0534ee7f4.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, grief, pain, health problems, worries & those that need them. 🙏 Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

Good Morning from a rainy and windy day at the beach

We are fogged in and raining. Ocean is churning. It is that system just sitting off the coast. Surprised Ann @cat shepard that you are not getting this.

Willie Mays was a great baseball player.  May he rest in peace

@SusieKIslandGirl   A very Happy Birthday to your DH. Hope he enjoys his special day.

A very big Thank You to all who responded yesterday about Rome Tours. I sent out emails to Romein Limo and Rome Cabs. Rome Cabs has answered positively this AM. He stated that I did not need to book until December ( we will be there in April) but I my go ahead to book and lock it in.

No water aerobics today.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

Great Report...  Thank you!!!

And HAPPY JUNETEENTH!!  We've been celebrating Juneteenth for a long time in Texas -- but now it's a US Holiday and many folks celebrate!!!

Spinach Filo Feta Pie...  I guess that's kind of like a Spanakopita pie...  I think I would VERY MUCH enjoy it!!!  I'm not terribly fond of gin...  but I always try a sip of things!  And one of my husband's FAVORITE places was Dutch Harbor.  He was on a Seismic Vessel with a Univ of Texas crew, and he LOVED that port!  Before they docked there...  They were out and about 'researching' and before they noticed...  they were in Russian waters...  and they scurried back into USA territory QUICKLY!!!

Have a wonderful day!!!

• Like 33

Good morning from central Texas.  It is 72F with a 5mph breeze from the NE, 98% humidity and a dew point of 72F.  Our predicted high is 85F with winds increasing to 12mph this afternoon.  It looks like tropical storm Alberto will stay mainly in the southern part of the state.  I was counting on getting some rain from the storm today and tomorrow, but it looks like it will miss us.  We may have to turn on the sprinklers since we haven't had any rain for a week.  Today is house cleaning day, and after the long day in Waco, it doesn't seem so bad this week.

Happy Juneteenth!  Juneteenth was always celebrated in the black communities in Texas before it was recognized as a legal holiday.  I always like Garfield and his attitude.  Sexual violence should be eliminated.  I'm not sure about the third day.

Today's quote is not one I like.  Sometimes life is a struggle, but it shouldn't always be a struggle.

We'll pass on the meal and the drink.  The wine sounds nice, but not the price.

We visited Dutch Harbor in 2000 on the old Regal Princess, and all my pictures are pre-digital and in albums.  Unalaska is an interesting town to walk around, but it was cold and windy that day.

Today marks the anniversary of the founding of London's police force, which was an important day in 1829,

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I'm glad your cold is better. and I hope your tummy feels better soon.  

@SusieKIslandGirl  Please wish Loren a VERY HAPPY 76TH BIRTHDAY for us.  

@Heartgrove  Sorry about the plumbing problems, Jack.

@kazu  Jacqui, the "never" meme about dogs also applies to children.  😁

In 2002 on the APEC cruise on Volendam, the Coast Guard sent a message to the ship to pull into US waters at Dutch Harbor.  They sent a tug out to the ship to bring a passenger into port.  We learned the next day that it was not a medical emergency as we thought, but they were capturing a Los Angeles pedophile priest who was fleeing the country on the Volendam.  We would not have known the facts if the ship had been more diligent editing The Times Digest.  There was a short article about the incident in the digest.  Captain Peter Harris confessed and told the story in his noon briefing.  These are a few pictures of Dutch Harbor in the distance.

IMG_0768.thumb.JPG.0092585beed29c106302a0f8dd230693.JPG

IMG_0769.thumb.JPG.c2aa368f78ce3750645f8af89e263864.JPG

IMG_0776.thumb.JPG.d03f9b7d1c04d9d2f8a391ed9d39ad14.JPG

I believe the man on the ladder wearing black is the priest.

IMG_0776.thumb.JPG.d03f9b7d1c04d9d2f8a391ed9d39ad14.JPG

Part of the fishing fleet

IMG_0779.thumb.JPG.96278d5a40441265e9faaca3660d1652.JPG

Lenda

IMG_0771.JPG

• Like 23
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 1

Good Wednesday Morning Dailyites!  I will always celebrate Garfield!

National-Garfield-the-Cat-Day-8-1.jpg

Its cloudy and somewhat cool in Atlanta today.  HIghs in the 80's and flipping back this weekend, they say to high 90's.  Growing up in NJ in the 50's and 60's we did not have air conditioning.  The house was cooled with a huge attic fan, so windows and bedroom doors were open at night, And when it got too hot, I would sleep on the porch.  When my grandfather moved in and moved to the upstairs (attic) bedroom we got air conditioning, but did not have to use it often.  I think that the North East must feel uncomfortable this summer.  

We have to take the fur babies to the vet this morning for their first vaccine.  Now the little monsters have fleas and they need to be de flead.  I am hoping they weigh enough for flea meds.  (they have to weigh at least 2 pounds).  Pretty sure that one of them does. Not sure about the other 3.  Turnip seems to be growing at a faster rate than the other ones. Otherwise its flea baths, and combing.  And I guess moving them to a room inside the house.  They all scream at me when it's breakfast and dinner time.  And they are trying to escape all the time. It will take two of us to get them into the carrier today, and there is a lot of road work on the way to the vets. Should be fun.

We finished Bridgerton a little after midnight.  I cried. DH pretended to watch it, but every time I looked over,  he had his magnifying glass out trying to read the directions on his drone.  He is amazed at how many things that thing can do.  So am I actually.  I got it at more than half off, and it seems to be a pretty amazing "toy".

DH's new vascular doc said that another surgery is planned, perhaps two.  The first one to go back into the leg, and see what is going on, and if they can fix the block, they will at that time. If they cannot, they will have to do a bypass which is major surgery and he will have to be in the hospital for 3-4 days following, with a much longer recuperation time.  He told DH that he has to get up and walk for 20 minutes four times a week.  I told DH that since it is so hot, that mall walking is in his future, that and the fact that there are benches in the mall, and if he need to sit, he can sit.  But he must walk the full 20 minutes.  This will not only help him now, but will help him post surgery.  Its summer, so walking should be done in morning.

46d2be1c679835f7a028677768613dbc.jpg

Coffee-Wednesday-Meme-24-1024x630.jpg

• Like 29
  • Haha 5

Good morning, everyone!

It is going to be another really hot one here with highs in the mid 90s.  It is already 79F.  Thanks to my new best friend from the HVAC company, we will be comfortable.  If he hadn't been able to fix it our plan was to go to the mall and sit outside Barnes and Noble and drink coffee all day.  We could get up every now and then and walk a lap or two.  I suppose for variety's sake we could have sat in the food court for awhile.  Great idea @0106 Tina about the movies.  

Nothing on the agenda today after the gym.  Just staying cool.  

@SusieKIslandGirl Happy Birthday to your DH!

Birthdaymen.jpg.9c109f47aec418f31d97a544f5417dce.jpg

@StLouisCruisers I hope you start to feel better soon.  This is a lousy time to be sick!  

@Cruzin Terri  I hope you are feeling better as well!

Today's meal sounds really good.  I've never had it, but I sure would be willing to try it!  I think I'd like someone else to make it, though.  Spanakopita

spinachfetapie1.thumb.jpg.cf051e0223c6cac0be016c98af9b1190.jpg

This next recipe adds in sundried tomatoes to the spinach mixture.  Sounds good to me, but probably not authentic.  Greek Spinach Pie

spinachfetapie2.thumb.jpg.02b82c6fdad57377caa9557a467c7044.jpg

And here's one with slightly different seasonings.  Spinach and Feta Pie

spinachfetapie3.thumb.jpeg.381813754b791273a6fa500de3505bc6.jpeg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 17