Banned!

Following on from the fight that took place recently on a Carnival ship, all the people who were involved have been permanently banned from sailing on Carnival Cruise Line.  My question is quite simple:  Are their names (along with other miscreants on other ships) circulated to all cruise lines and, therefore, denying them a cruise anywhere?

And if not, why not?  Are the cruise lines not allowed to do this? And again, if not, should the law be changed?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, babs135 said:

Following on from the fight that took place recently on a Carnival ship, all the people who were involved have been permanently banned from sailing on Carnival Cruise Line.  My question is quite simple:  Are their names (along with other miscreants on other ships) circulated to all cruise lines and, therefore, denying them a cruise anywhere?

And if not, why not?  Are the cruise lines not allowed to do this? And again, if not, should the law be changed?

Interesting question.  I don't know the answers, but allow me to speculate freely:

• I suspect that Carnival shares its ban list with other Carnival Corporation cruise lines (e.g. Princess, HAL, Cunard)
  • I'm less sure that this list is shared with other cruise lines (e.g. Royal Caribbean, NCL, Viking).  It's certainly possible it could be.  But maybe they want to learn about bad passengers the hard way. 😈
  • I don't think there's a list kept at the U.S. federal or international level.  Then again, I would be the last to know about such a thing.

I cannot comment on American Law but, under UK legislation ......

if the fight was onboard, dealt with onboard, and no criminal proceedings followed then the matter would be viewed as a Civil matter and nothing to do with the criminal courts. 
We are then looking at the old sign at many clubs saying "the management reserve the right to refuse admission"
Keeping a database of trouble makers? Almost certainly the parent company will have a list, but sharing those personal details outside of that domain might be viewed as illegal .... it would be under UK law.
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Interesting question.  I don't know the answers, but allow me to speculate freely:

• I suspect that Carnival shares its ban list with other Carnival Corporation cruise lines (e.g. Princess, HAL, Cunard)
  • I'm less sure that this list is shared with other cruise lines (e.g. Royal Caribbean, NCL, Viking).  It's certainly possible it could be.  But maybe they want to learn about bad passengers the hard way. 😈
  • I don't think there's a list kept at the U.S. federal or international level.  Then again, I would be the last to know about such a thing.

I agree with you. I am sure that all the brands owned by the Carnival Corporation would have the list. I do not think it is shared, but am less sure of this as it is possible that the major cruise lines share this data.

• Like 1

This is an internal matter within/among the cruise lines.  Where would there be such a law?  Who would have jurisdiction?  It is a policy, nothing more.  EM

• Like 1

2 hours ago, babs135 said:

Which law would that be?

There are also laws about collusion amongst competing businesses. While these usually focus on pricing and other anti-competitive actions, those might apply to this matter as well. 

Not a lawyer...just speculating.

• Like 2

Since the incident happened at sea, on a ship registered in the Bahamas, I would think that Bahamian law would take precedence, but not a lawyer.

With that said, a cruise company can ban whomever they want. I would think that the names of people banned under one line under a corporate umbrella would be shared with the other lines under same umbrella (Carnival Corp owns Carnival Cruise Lines, Holland America, Princess, Cunard as well as others that escape me at the minute). Now, for a situation such as this, it's possible the list will be shared. 

23 minutes ago, EatonDoolittle said:

Just a wild guess on my part, but I don't think the miscreant types are frequent cruisers, so any sort of ban would most likely not concern them  

Even if they are not frequent cruisers I think being banned by a major cruise line and possibly all the other Carnival brands will have a psychological effect. So I think it will concern them and their families. 

I think that it is interesting that a person can be banned from all airplane travel for no apparent reason or for a reason that does not have to be disclosed to the banee.  Yet appears that there is no universal banning procedure for cruise ships.  

DON

Even if completely legal, just to avoid potentially opening a can of worms, I would not share outside the corporate family.  

• Like 2

The UK Data Protection Act is essentially the unlawful sharing of information held on a computer, meaning you cannot hand over any information without the  correct authority  which in this instance would mean a court order ... unless the named person gave you permission of course 🙂

It's 'back up' is the Misuse of Computers Act.

Breaches of either are treated quite seriously.

• Like 1

When you are banned, they make you sign paperwork stating so. Having not seen that paperwork personally, I'm willing to bet there is a release in there stating that the information can be shared amongst the cruiselines as seen fit.

Just now, 1025cruise said:

When you are banned, they make you sign paperwork stating so. Having not seen that paperwork personally, I'm willing to bet there is a release in there stating that the information can be shared amongst the cruiselines as seen fit.

Interesting. No one would voluntarily sign that.  I wonder how they make them sign.   

10 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Interesting. No one would voluntarily sign that.  I wonder how they make them sign.   

Unless there was a return commitment not to press criminal charges or pursue civil remedies there's nothing they could do if you refused to sign. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, K32682 said:

Unless there was a return commitment not to press criminal charges or pursue civil remedies there's nothing they could do if you refused to sign. 

That is what I was thinking too.     

Posted (edited)

I think it is no more than a company policy issue.  There is lengthy and detailed policy information included with every cruise ticked we purchase which is a contract that, in part, outlines a code of conduct.  If someone violates that, the cruise line has the right to deny them future cruises.  Its as simple as that.  And I would think that information can be and is openly shared within the family of cruise lines that may be owned an operated by that corporation. It's not uncommon. 

Whether or not that can (or is) shared amongst the industry is a different matter, but it would not surprise me if it was.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Whether or not that can (or is) shared amongst the industry is a different matter, but it would not surprise me if it was.

I think their lawyers would not allow it to be shared. 

56 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I think their lawyers would not allow it to be shared. 

Surely they could share the information with the different lines owned by the same corporation.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

1.  A fight on a cruise ship at sea falls under the jurisdiction of the flag state, as has been mentioned, and in this case that would be the Bahamas.

2.  Why would any cruise line care one fig whether a troublemaker got on a competitor's ship or not?  I think they would rather enjoy it if the person/persons caused trouble on their competitors' ships.  A person causing trouble on a ship from a different company has nothing to do with Carnival's business.

3.  The "banning" is not a legal document, it is the business owner's right to deny service to anyone they choose to, unless they are a member of a "protected class" under the discrimination laws of the flag state.

4.  Any universal banning of a person from flying is done by a government agency, an airline can only ban someone on their flights, just like Carnival.

5.  The ship cannot detain you unless they have arrested you for a crime under Bahamian law, but then they will have to turn you over to local law enforcement at the next port, and that jurisdiction would then have to decide to prosecute or not.

6.  I don't think there is any legal reason that a person has to sign a document acknowledging that they are banned from a cruise line.  Again, it is the business owner's right to reserve service from anyone.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 9

7 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Even if they are not frequent cruisers I think being banned by a major cruise line and possibly all the other Carnival brands will have a psychological effect. So I think it will concern them and their families. 

If they are the type of person to be fighting on a cruise ship, don’t think naming them or banning them would concern them.  Probably see it as a badge of honour. Lol

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Surely they could share the information with the different lines owned by the same corporation.

I meant other cruise corporations but some here insist that Carnival, Princess, HAL etc are different companies. I don’t agree but that is what some have insisted in different discussions. As far as that is concerned if cruising Carnival is  the cruise contract signed with Carnival Corporation or the Carnival subsidiary?