The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday July 15th, 2024

Posted (edited)

Today is Be A Dork Day, Gummi Worm Day, and National Give Something Away Day

California is a fine place to live - if you happen to be an orange. - Fred Allen

Meal Suggestion for today - Roasted Salmon Sheet Pan Dinner
Drink of the Day - The Anejo Highball
Wine of the Day - Rippon 2019 Rippon Mature Vine Lake Wanaka Pinot Noir (Central Otago)
Destination of the Day - Salaverry (Trujillo), Peru

Today in History:
1799 The Rosetta Stone is found in the Egyptian village of Rosetta by French Captain Pierre-François Bouchard during Napoleon's Egyptian Campaign

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Juneau, Alaska 12:30 - 22:00

Koningsdam

Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska 09:00 - 09:30

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island Alaska eta 07-16

Nieuw Statendam

Portree, Great Britain

Noordam

Hubbard Glacier, Alaska 1500-1800

Oosterdam

Livorno, Florence-Pisa, Italy 07:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

Djupivogur, Iceland 08:00 - 18:00

Volendam

At Sea Destination Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, Canada eta 07-16

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 07-16

Zaandam

Ketchikan, Alaska 1100-1900

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, Canada eta 07-16

0715Alaska.thumb.png.bd2ed3a21244bfa7200ae0d687fe2f0a.png

0715Atlantic.thumb.png.edefa4cb7b2298a925b3ff1936828fd3.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 32

Thank you for today's FR &D.

I don't know any Dorks and I have often given things away.

I had a nice breakfast by the beach this morning.

I hope everyone had a safe and happy weekend and y'all are looking forward to a new week.

IMG_20240715_074923.jpg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

Good morning friends!  It’s 58 and very foggy this morning as we head to Charlottetown, PEI arriving Tuesday.  The fog horn has been busy.  Yesterday we ended up with sunshine for a good part of the day and all enjoyed their time spent in St. John’s Newfoundland.  We took a walk around town looking at churches.  Can’t wait to see Charlottetown!

Thanks Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the location maps.  Many here will honor give something away day.  I doubt I’ll see or consume any gummi worms and hope I’m not a dork!  I disagree with the quote.  LOL!  The salmon sheet pan dinner will be popular today, no idea about the cocktail, and will pass on the pinot noir.  Finding the Rosetta Stone in 1709 led to some breakthroughs deciphering hieroglyphics so that was a biggie.  Thanks to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepardfor your F&B reports.

Prayers to our Care list here on the Daily, my DB, twin sister, Alex/Jordan’s twin sons, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, and our troops in the region.  Praying for some decency and civility in my country.🙏  Vanessa @JazzyV, I sincerely hope your stomach problems and vertigo are things of the past today.  Jacqui @kazu I hope things are looking up at your house and you have some great news soon.  Wishing Tana a good day with an appetite.  Welcome home Karen @luvteaching!!  Gerry @ger_77 have you recovered from your Summerfest party yet?  It looked FAB!  Congrats to all celebrating special events and cruising somewhere.  Thanks Vanessa @JazzyV for all your work for us every day. 

The port today is Salaverry (Trujillo), Peru which happens to be another new one.  No links today.  I can’t say that I’ve ever been there before.  I hope someone here will be able to share pictures and experiences. 

DS and Ren arrived home last evening on a nice non-stop flight from Mexico City and I’m betting Ren is happy to be resting at home in his own bed. He sent me the sweetest text.  Blessings to him. 😇 Hoping everyone has a lovely Monday and please try to stay safe and keep well.

• Like 34
  • Thanks 5

The Anejo Highball cocktail:

Ingredients:

1 1/2 oz. Caribbean blended rum aged 6-10 years
1/2 oz. Orange Curacao liqueur
1/4 oz. Lime juice (freshly squeezed)
1 dash Angostura Bitters
2 oz. Thomas Henry Ginger Beer
Garnish:  Orange & Lime slices

Directions:

Shake first 4 ingredients with ice and strain into ice-filled glass charged with half ginger beer.  Top with rest of ginger beer.

Screenshot 2024-07-15 at 6.26.58 AM.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 20
  • Haha 1

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie for the FR&D.  I like Give Something Away Day (well all 3 days) although the other 2 seem a bit whimsical   Special prayers for Jacaui, Terri, Katherine’s friend, Sandi’s brother, Scottie,  Chuck, Bonnie and Tana with  Annie and Chuck at the top of the list.  Now also Vanessa with digestive and vertigo issues.

A funny quote by Fred Allen.

I visited Salavery/Trujillo several times, starting as a land extension of a 2007 International Expeditions Upper Amazon cruise, then 2016 on Crystal Symphony, 2017 on Zaandam, and 2019 on Prinsendam..

A great day in archeological history..

I’ll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Rack of Lamb and Carrot Cake  as served  on VIA’s Canadian on the way to my 2018 Sea-Land-Sea Grand Alaska (Volendam-land-Westerdam) trip:

dishes15.jpg
Three straight days of extreme heat coming.  I expect to do my mall walk early this morning moving directly to the grocery store, and home to stay near 9.

Roy

• Like 41
  • Thanks 5

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

A very foggy morning.  It's going to be a hot day with chance of thunderstorms.

I don't think I'm a dork, I don't like gummi worms, I often give stuff away.

Funny quote.

The meal sounds good.  I'll pass on the drink, hope the wine is tasty and not expensive.

Prayers for so many.

Have a great day.

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

Good hot and humid morning.It’s going up to 98 today and again tomorrow. It’s already feeling like 87 with 90 percent humidity. I’m not going anywhere today. 
We did get some rain yesterday afternoon and storms are supposed to come this evening. 
Blessings and prayers to all on our journey.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Today’s Care List:

Lady Hudson’s DH’s echocardiogram today

Quartzsite cruiser’s DH’s CT scan and neuro appointment today

Kazu having leg/foot pain, to have stents placed, planning a move

Cruzin Terri with right bicep muscle tear, in pain, and Covid aftereffects

Marshhawk’s DH Chuck unable to get stents unclogged, needs surgery

StLouisCruisers’ DGS Ren suffering a collarbone fx during a soccer game

RIP Dr. Ruth Westheimer, Richard Simmons, Shannon Doherty

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness

Seasick sailor’s stepson positive for Covid

StLouisCruisers’ twin needing a shoulder replacement

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Aliaschief’s family vacation at St. George Island

JazzyV’s BFF can put weight on leg, post surgery for a tib-fib fx, shoe soon

Lady Hudson booking an October cruise

TiogaCruiser’s impressive shed that she built

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 days for Norseh2o (Oceania Marina July 16 to Aug 29) 44d Epic Northern Adventure London to London, celebrating 50th anniversary

5 days for Cunnorl (Zuiderdam July 20 to Aug 24) 35d Voyage of the Vikings

tupper10 (Zuiderdam to July 20) 21d Viking Passage and StLouisCruisers (Zuiderdam to July 20) 42d Ultimate Viking Explorer & Passage

• Like 25
  • Thanks 19

Thank you for today’s FR& D, Rich! It is the perfect morning cool, sunny, but no humidity. Not sure where last evening’s humidity went, but I am not complaining. 

Vanessa, sorry to read you didn’t feel well yesterday. Hope it was one of those 24 hour things. Thank you for never missing a beat, in spite of what you are dealing with. 

Gym, Bindi walks, a visit to the fairly new Daytona Aquarium - it will eventually have a rainforest exhibit, too. Maybe some pool time this evening. 

IMG_3159.jpeg.61892ac320ad8210f0259e240664f222.jpeg

IMG_3152.jpeg.78f4bf04bfeb6b3e6908c926d8774ebb.jpeg

IMG_3144.jpeg.16e1e5e4d240abdadb387b539e9beca5.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Tana, praying that you get your appetite back and have a good day. Prayers for all the caregivers, may they find the strength to continue and take care of themselves. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. 

May we each find a reason to smile today!

Rippon 2019 Rippon Mature Vine Lake Wanaka Pinot Noir (Central Otago)

This New Zealand PN sounds amazing. And it is biodynamic! Consumers and critics are fans! Quite a few distributors, though the price is a bit high for me. Online prices start at $54.99.

Winemaker Notes

The farm voice of a distinct parcel of land: Rippon. On the western board of Roy’s Bay, Lake Wanaka, Rippon’s north-facing escarpment forms the meeting point of terminal moraines and coarse gravels, all based in schist, on which some of the region’s earliest vines were planted. Rippon is a Wine issued from all of the fully developed Pinot Noir vines growing in this land.

98James Suckling

Firm and tight licorice, graphite, slate and light dried strawberry. Goes to iron. Flowers. Medium body. Creamy and fine tannins with a rather dusty finish. Fresh acidity and long and linear finish. Structured. From biodynamically grown grapes. Better after 2024, but already beautiful.

97Wine Enthusiast

From arguably the most gorgeously located biodynamic vineyard in the world, this Pinot is a head-turner. Aromas change in the glass, expressing various aspects of site and variety: first succulent currant and blueberry fruit, then florals and a hint of mushroomy undergrowth, then scrubby dried herbs growing beside a lake and snowcapped mountains. The palate is elegant and juicy, with silky softness and floral delicacy. You’re almost surprised when the tannins rush in to cinch it into place. 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 17
  • Haha 5

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily and maps @richwmn. Pass on the gummy worms, don't think I'll act a dork today but I could set something aside to bring to St. Vincent's.  I don't agree with the quote.  Haven't been to today's port but thanks for some further detail on the port @rafinmd.  I'll pass on the salmon, the drink sounded great until the list of ingredients got longer.  A Pinot from Otago should be tasty.  Thanks for researching these for us each day. 

Thanks for the cares and celebrations reports @JazzyV.  I hope you feel better today, vertigo is not fun, as are tummy aches.  Prayers for Tana, Terry, Terri, Bonnie, Chuck, Annie and Jacqui.  @StLouisCruisersglad Ren is healing at home.  Prayers for all in war zones through no fault of their own, Ukraine, the hostages and the Innocents in Gaza.  

It cooled off to 59 last night and the cabin got to 67 degrees.  One more hot day and then a big thunderstorm will roll through and will cool us off.  Yesterday afternoon a half grown Robin flew into our bathroom window and died, sadly all evening towards dusk his parents were calling for it.  Perhaps fishing today.  Have a lovely Monday! Nancy   Some recent garden photos. 

IMG_20240710_122119957_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240707_113612867_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240707_113804726.jpg

IMG_20240707_113354329_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240707_113256586_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240710_122015530_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240710_122037629.jpg

IMG_20240707_113452184_HDR.jpg

• Like 42
  • Thanks 7

Good morning Dailyites 

A calm 76 degree morning at 6 am, moving on up to 97..

Praying for our nation, and unity.

Prayers lifted for Sandi's twin, awaiting the birth of the twins, and hoping Ren heals quickly. I'm glad he's home and resting. 

Prayers for Annie and DH, Vanessa, Tana (eat!) Terri and Terry.

Jacqui, it looks like you have a Daily Day: giving something away.

Allen's little party was a hit. I made Mexican food and a few to go boxes later, the party wrapped at 8.

Today Allen sees the Nephrologist. This as an appointment I'm anxious about.

Tonight we are meeting friends downtown at a favorite Thai restaurant for my girlfriend's birthday. Then back to our house for cake and gifts.

Wishing you all a peaceful, healthy, blessed week.

• Like 34
  • Thanks 3

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Good morning everyone.  It’s a soft morning here today.  Finally our unpacking and to do lists are getting smaller and less daunting.  There are several items that we’ve unpacked that we could easily give away.  I’ll pass on the gummi worms and acting like a dork.

I don’t agree with today’s quote although it was probably meant to be funny.

Both the meal and drink sound tasty.

I haven’t been to today’s port.

Prayers for those on our prayer list, I hope things improve.  Cheers to those who are celebrating happy events!

Edited by Mr. Boston
  • Like 34
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for our Monday Daily, Rich and thank to our F & B team.

Gove something away?  I’ve been celebrating that for a while and will continue for some time to come. 😆 

It’s another hot one today - going past 105 F. So, today, I will spend a lot of time trying to bring my spread sheets up to date.  I’ve been behind with everything and now it seems like a monumental task.  And do a few more boxes with luck.

IMG_1067.thumb.jpeg.2e7a0dc1152ec59979828b2da5e69708.jpeg

Showing was longer than the realtor said it would be - usually a good sign I think.  I was advised that the potential purchasers  liked a lot of things about the house and are discussing and realtor will report back once they have decided.  I was complimented on the de-cluttering and presentation. LOL.

IMG_1101.thumb.jpeg.fd559d8585c02938fa0917d4de343ed5.jpeg

Very fatigued - probably emotional and what is before me this week.  Tonight I have to starve my food hound in prep for his surgery tomorrow.  it will be a morning from H e double toothpicks.  No breakfast for Ivan, get him in the car without treats and vet, then doctor’s appointment for prescription the surgeon wants me to have, then pre-op blood tests and pick up Ivan when he is ready.

IMG_0924.jpeg.61586b9bfb314a9ed93b413776e75b0d.jpeg

Prayers or those on the Care list & those that need them.  Cheers to all who are celebrating and cruising.

• Like 33
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

Good morning, everyone!

It is a rainy morning here in mid-Michigan.  Rain is supposed to continue until noon and then it will just be hot and humid.  I slept so much better last night.  Ready to take on the world today! 

I haven't heard the term dork in a long time.  When I was in 8th grade all of us that weren't in the popular crowd were deemed to be dorks.  One girl was having a hay ride party and she invited the whole class. There were two wagons and I was on one wagon, but my best friend was assigned to be on the dork wagon.  I told the girl organizing it that I would not attend unless I could be assigned to the dork wagon with my friend.  I guess I started something because suddenly not many people were attending.  Her mom called my mom and a few other moms and the party got restructured.  There ended up being one wagon for dorks and non dorks alike and everyone had a good time.  

@JazzyV I hope you are feeling better today.  

@kazu I hope the house showing went well yesterday.  

@Quartzsite Cruiser I hope all goes well with DH's appointment today.

@Seasick Sailor Good news only from DH's nephrologist!  

Today's meal is a great one.  I love sheet pan dinners as they are so easy.  We'll be using the grill today due to heat, but may just have salmon.  Either that or cod.  I may try the mayo herbed cod on the grill.  I'll leave off the tomato since Sue won't eat them.  But, back to salmon.  We have salmon a couple of times a week here because we love it.  I grill up two pieces for us and every time we both say we could eat it all over again.  That is why I only grill two pieces at a time.  This first recipe is very easy.  Sheet Pan Salmon 1

sheetpansalmon1.thumb.jpg.5f9750d0ca262bb3c4f85f69f64bb410.jpg

Here's an Asian inspired dish with broccoli and carrots.  Sheet Pan Salmon 2

sheetpansalmon2.thumb.jpg.add30af4d4eb611f324a8e73ed047dd7.jpg

This one has a hoisin sauce and brussels sprouts.  Brussels sprouts are my favorite!  Sheet Pan Salmon 3

sheetpansalmon3.jpg.62dceb3e813db4ce4c37f468d3a3b89e.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 21

Happy Monday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet report. 

I love salmon. I was disappointed when I went out to eat with my sister this past Saturday and we informed that they were out of salmon. 

Hot and humid did, high up to 95. We did get a good drenching rain yesterday afternoon after I weeded and watered the vegetable garden. Won't need to water today. 

Lots of assignments to grade today and then later this evening I have a committee meeting in which I will be taking over the leadership role. 86 days until my cruise. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Its Monday I Can Feel It Pictures, Photos, and Images for Facebook ...

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good morning,

I had another busy week and weekend. DGD, who is a drama queen at age 4, was a bit under the weather after her 4 yo shots. She spent most of the weekend with me as DGS had soccer and basketball games. I sent her back to her parents right when her energy was returning. Wise move on my part. I was sorry to read about REN’s injury. Good thing about  the collarbone is that it heals easily and quickly. It is probably good he has a break. His body needs to heal and it will be nice to be with his family. 

It will be hot today with temp predicted to be 100. I don’t want to think about the heat index as it is quite humid already. 

I hope everyone has a great day. 

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

Good morning,

I had another busy week and weekend. DGD, who is a drama queen at age 4, was a bit under the weather after her 4 yo shots. She spent most of the weekend with me as DGS had soccer and basketball games. I sent her back to her parents right when her energy was returning. Wise move on my part. I was sorry to read about REN’s injury. Good thing about  the collarbone is that it heals easily and quickly. It is probably good he has a break. His body needs to heal and it will be nice to be with his family. 

It will be hot today with temp predicted to be 100. I don’t want to think about the heat index as it is quite humid already. 

I hope everyone has a great day. 

Thank you Lorraine for your comments today.  Thankfully young bones seem to heal so much faster, don't they? 

Thanks also to Nancy @ottahand7 and Joy @Seasick Sailor, and to Vanessa for including him on the Care list.  Good luck today with Allen at his nephrologist appointment.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Hello Dailyites!!  Wishes for each of you to have an outstanding day!!!

Thank you for the Daily Report!  Love the info!!

I, too, give things away all the time!  Love this idea...  My trash will be someone else's treasure!

And...  some times, many times, I am a Dork!!!

But I'll draw the line at Gummi worms...  nope, not on my food list!  Just don't like Gummi's of any kind!!!

YUM YUM for the sheet pan Salmon dinner!!!  Mmmmmm...  Thank you for the recipes Debbie @dfish  Definitely a keeper!!!

The wine and the drink sound good, but I'll pass...

And I look forward to all the photos of Peru!

Hugs to each of you!!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1