The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday July 17th, 2024

Today is Victims of Baton Rouge, World Day for International Criminal Justice, and World Emoji Day

Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.--Neil Gaiman, Coraline

Meal Suggestion for today - Grilled Chicken Fajita Salad
Drink of the Day - Brandy Daisy
Wine of the Day - Black Box Chardonnay
Destination of the Day - Bilbao, Spain

Today in History:
1762 Catherine II becomes Tsarina of Russia following the murder of Peter III
1955 Disneyland opens its doors for the first time

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Sitka, Baranof Island Alaska 08:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Juneau, Alaska 10:00 - 21:30

Nieuw Statendam

Firthof Forth ovnt - 18:00

Noordam

Skagway, Alaska 0700-2100

Oosterdam

Barcelona, Spain 08:00 - ovnt

Rotterdam

Lerwick, Mainland Shetland, Scotland 07:00 - 16:00

Volendam

Sydney NS, Nova Scotia Canada 08:00 - 17:00

Westerdam

Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska 08:00 - 13:00

Zaandam

Vancouver, Canada 0700-1600

Zuiderdam

Sydney NS, Nova Scotia Canada 08:00 - 16:00

0717Alaska.thumb.png.cb05e87f05a1ccaca7b84ec0c5e91179.png

0717Atlantic.thumb.png.ca9b1ea7c0b4e41fd7c65f2da2157f57.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 24

Good morning friends!  We are nearing Sydney, Nova Scotia and I watched the pilot get dropped off a while back. Temp is 70F this a.m. and skies have a mix of clouds and sun.  High temp will be 80 today!  Volendam will be in port with us as she was yesterday in Charlottetown.  The weather yesterday was a lot sunnier than they predicted and it felt downright hot to us northern travelers.  We were pretty sweaty when we returned from our walk.  Lucky I put on my sunscreen before we left the ship.  We forgot to put on the pedometer but we estimate we walked 3.25 miles.  Not sure what today holds yet.

Thanks Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the maps.  Very interesting days to recognize as well as the quote.  The grilled chicken fajita salad sounds good, no thanks to the drink or the Chardonnay.  It’s not my favorite white wine.  A momentous day in history for Catherine II and the opening day for Disneyland.  DH’s family went shortly after it opened, he says.  Thanks to the F&B ladies Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for their reports.

Prayers for all here on the Daily, my DB, twin sister, DGS Ren,  Alex/Jordan’s twins, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, and the military members in the region.  Sorry to hear Eva @superoma and DH have Covid and it’s knocked them off their feet at times.  Get well soon!  Hoping Baby Murphy is getting better soon and the new little one arrives safely in September.  Jacqui @kazu good to hear Ivan was doing okay after his surgery.  Now let’s get you through yours!  Wishing you the very best!  Good thoughts going out to Tana today.  A good day wishes for Chuck @catmando and Annie @marshhawk.  Cheers to everyone celebrating something, and to those cruising or preparing to cruise.  Thanks Vanessa @JazzyV for your work maintaining lists for us.  Great job!

The port today is Bilbao, Spain, another new port for us.  No links again today and I have not had the pleasure of visiting Bilbao yet.  Hopefully some of you can add some photos today.

Have a good day today, and please try to stay safe and keep well.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 5

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte. 

77 this AM with a high of 95 and a slight chance of PM showers.

Good selection of days.

Strange quote.

I’m in on the meal.

We’ve taken a number of Mediterranean cruises but never made it to Spain which I regret, oh well.

Off to the course in a few minutes with an early tee time.

Have a great day and stay well.

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

Happy Hump Day.  Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie for the FR&D   I’ll celebrate International Criminal Justice, not into emojis, and have no idea what victims of Baton Rouge is about.   Special prayers for  Terri, Katherine’s friend, Sandi’s brother, Scottie,  Chuck, Bonnie and Tana with  Annie and Chuck at the top of the list.  

A great quote from Mr. Gaiman

I have not been to Bilbao..

Two very diverse days in history today..

I’ll pass on the meal. , My alternative is Beef and Vegetable Soup, Braised Lamb Shank, and Cherries Jubilee as served on MS Rotterdam July 16. 2011

The last of a string of HOT days.  I’ll walk early today but must work on taxes at the fire house this afternoon..

Roy

• Like 36

Brandy Daisy cocktail:

The brandy daisy is a cocktail which first gained popularity in the late 19th century. One of the earliest known recipes was published in 1876 in the second edition of Jerry Thomas's The Bartenders .

Ingredients:
1½ ounces Brandy or Cognac,
¾ ounce Lemon juice,
¾ ounce Yellow Chartreuse
Preparation:
Stir well with cracked ice in a cocktail shaker, then strain into a chilled Collins glass and top with a splash of chilled club soda or seltzer.

Screenshot 2024-07-17 at 6.38.37 AM.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 21

Good morning, everyone!

Today is a busy day here in mid-Michigan.  I have former classmates coming over at noon for a luncheon.  Sue is heading north to go hiking with her former boss this afternoon.  She'll be gone until Saturday.  It is supposed to be a nice day - mostly sunny with a high of 77F.  Tonight I have a picnic to go to and I'm going to sneak out and go to the outdoor pool for a bit.  

Some good news about the pool issue at the new Community Center.  They have gotten nothing but complaints about holding the exercise classes in such shallow water.   So, with the new fall schedule they are opening up the deeper section of the pool for the classes.  I never heard back about my letter, but can't help but think it did some good.  

Today's meal sounds wonderful to me.  I would love the flavors of the chicken fajitas and using a salad as a vehicle for it is a great idea.  This salad splits the marinade into two portions and uses half as the dressing for the salad.  That is such a good idea as the flavors of the dressing don't clash with the flavors of the marinade.  Grilled Chili Lime Chicken Fajita Salad

chickenfajitasalad1.thumb.jpg.65b3122133c02cf0af69211549c14500.jpg

I could dive into that salad right now.  This next recipe uses chicken breasts instead of thighs.  That would be my preference.  It grills the peppers and onions along with the chicken.  I love veggies done on the grill.  We have them almost every night.  Grilled Chicken Fajita Salad

chickenfajitasalad2.thumb.jpg.d08505481148768bb6dd9dd3f467d77f.jpg

Here's one more with slightly different seasonings and preparation.  Easy Chicken Fajita Salad

chickenfajitasalad3.thumb.jpg.30fa97cd3cb5640e227874f8b986c5ae.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 17

Today’s Care List:

Kazu having leg/foot pain, to have stents placed, planning a move

Cruzin Terri with right bicep muscle tear, pain, virtual visit with Ortho today

Marshhawk’s DH Chuck unable to get stents unclogged, needs surgery

Vict0riann’s DD having Covid

Superoma and DH with Covid

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness, poor appetite

Hogladyrider’s SO with memory issues

Seasick Sailor’s DSis Bonnie diagnosed with breast cancer

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Crazy for Cats’ and Juan’s 20th Wedding Anniversary!

Kazu’s Ivan did well with dental surgery

Aliaschief’s family vacation at St. George Island

Lady Hudson booking an October cruise

TiogaCruiser’s impressive shed that she built

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

3 days for Cunnorl (Zuiderdam July 20 to Aug 24) 35d Voyage of the Vikings

3 days for St Pete Cruiser (Zuiderdam July 20 to Aug 24) 35d Voyage of the Vikings

tupper10 (Zuiderdam to July 20) 21d Viking Passage, StLouisCruisers (Zuiderdam to July 20) 42d Ultimate Viking Explorer & Passage and Norseh2o (Oceania Marina to Aug 29) 44d Epic Northern Adventure London to London, celebrating 50th anniversary

• Like 21
  • Thanks 20

Good morning.  It’s fresh out after some loud thunderstorms swept through last evening.  I’ll celebrate international criminal justice day.  

Nice quote, along the lines of David and Goliath.

I like the meal suggestion but not the drink.  

I’ve only been to today’s port to fly to Malaga, no pictures but I remember that it was very scenic.

Prayers for those who need them today.  Cheers to those of you who are celebrating happy events!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and Happy Hump Day!  Thanks for the daily and maps Rich.  International Criminal Justice Day is important, so many more war criminals it seems in the last few years. I enjoy using emojis, especially when stuck on my phone and can't access clip art easily.  A fun quote.   I look forward to photos of  Bilbao.  I'll pass on all three comestibles. In lieu of the box wine I suggest Dehlinger Estate Chardonnay, a beautiful chard from the Russian River Valley.  

Happy anniversary Juan!   🍾

Thanks for the cares and celebrations reports.  Prayers for @superoma, Tana, Terry, Chuck, Annie, Terri, Bonnie and Jacqui.  Prayers for all in was zones through no fault of their own, Ukraine, the remaining hostages and the Innocents in Gaza.  

I have computer problems.  My laptop screen wouldn't open but the on off light remains on.  I tried the hard reset but that light remains on.  I will wait until the battery runs dead and try another restart.  If that doesn't work one last try with paperclip in the total reset hole.  If that fails it will go into the case until we get home. Thankfully I plugged in the backup drive before we left home so almost everything is saved.  Highs in the 60s today.  I will work on transplanting plants since we have cool weather. Have a lovely Wednesday!  Nancy 

• Like 28
  • Thanks 6

Good morning.  Happy Hump Day.  Thanks for the Report.

We had a lot of rain yesterday.  According to the weather station, we had over 65mm (2 1/2 inches) of rain.  I saw flooded streets, I'm sure there are lots of flooded basements.   I'm hoping for sunshine today, but I see a lot of clouds.

Interesting days.  I'm all for Justice, some folks use too many emojis but I don't know anything about Baton Rouge.  I'll go ask Mr Google.

I like the quote.

The meal sounds great, I'll pass on the drink but I'll try the wine.

Prayers for so many.  I hope there are lots reasons to celebrate.

Have a great day everyone.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you for today’s FR &D, Rich! A lovely morning with a bit of a marine layer off to the East.  Lots of local deer out enjoying breakfast. Just a few fawns still showing spots. 

Vanessa, thank you for capturing & sharing what is happening. Hope you are feeling better. 

Bindi walks, chores, HIIT, prep for the next two busy days and maybe some pool time. 

IMG_3155.jpeg.ee796b8e17f6658741b5ab2d1da1d808.jpeg

IMG_3149.jpeg.156ab090d61f20235d84df63a99cead6.jpeg

IMG_3161.jpeg.e26e8806e37071b035d1b1441a15c5cc.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Tana, praying that you have a good day and eat better! Praying for all our caregivers. Please make sure to care of yourselves. Terry. - I loved reading that your DB was there. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating!  @Crazy For Cats & Juan - Happy 20th Anniversary!

May we each find a reason to smile today!

Black Box Chardonnay 

Another 3 liter non-vintage box of wine. If you are a member of Sam’s Club you can get it for $15.68. But you can find this box almost anywhere. Online prices start at 

$17.99.

Distributor notes

Refreshing hints of crisp apple and a touch of oak accentuate Black Box Chardonnay’s smooth finish. Upon opening, this white wine stays fresh for six weeks, maintaining its excellent depth and structure. Taste notes: Citrus, Pineapple, Tropical Mango, Oak. Pairs splendidly with chicken, white fish, and soft cheese.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 12
  • Haha 3

Happy Wednesday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

We had several rounds of thunderstorms yesterday evening. Cooled things down ever so slightly. Expecting 90s today with more showers later. At least the vegetable garden got watered. One less thing for me to do. Spending the day grading assignments. 84 days until my cruise! It may be a little too early to pack. 

Happy anniversary to @Crazy For Cats!

happy anniversary cats - Google Search Work Anniversary Quotes, Happy ...

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day.

80 Really Funny Wednesday Memes to Make Brighten Your Hump day in 2022 ...

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

@Crazy For Cats Happy Anniversary!

We had a nice day yesterday. Had a couple of time outs due to some passing thunderstorms. Looks like today may be the same but for now there is sunshine. The week is going fast and the following weeks is full of appointments. Annual Echocardiogram, biopsy’s at Dermatology and some service visits at the house.

Today is mainly a repeat as this is what you do at the beach. Yesterday, we had several dolphin sightings.

It’s still quiet so the granddaughters are still abed. 
We visited Balboa last summer. A large fishing port and we enjoyed some fantastic seafood.

Ooops! They have arose and decimal level has also risen.

Have a great day everyone. Bruce

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon.

It is 66°F and sunny here.

I have been working so a little late today.

Thank you for today's daily reports.

Today's food sounds nice.

Our lunch today.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone who want them.

17212176830391969616669673312865.jpg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Good morning from an already very warm central Texas.  It is 79F and feels like 86F with clear skies.  The humidity is 87% with a dew pint of 75F, and a 7mph wind from the south.  The predicted high will be down to 97F after the triple digit high yesterday.  There is a pretty good chance of rain and thunderstorms in the very early morning hours tomorrow, and we need rain.  Today's agenda includes cleaning the house which maybe will keep me out of trouble.

I will honor the Victims of Baton Rouge who were killed on July 17, 2016, in a mass shooting.  Internationals Criminal Justice is needed.  I use emojis occasionally, but try to  limit them.

The Neil Gaiman gives hope that we can slay our dragons.

The meal sounds good, but will have to keep for a while since we had chicken fajitas last night.  We'll pass on the drink and the wine, though we've found most Black Box wines to be good.

We have visited Bilboa twice while on the Prinsendam.

This day in 1762 was a good day for Catherine when she became Tsarina of Russia.  In 1955, this day was a good day for family entertainment with the opening of Disneyland.  DH and his family were there in 1956.

@dfish  Debbie, I hope everyone has a good time at your luncheon today.  Safe travels to Sue, and I hope she enjoys the hiking with her old boss.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, thank you for the great work you do keeping our lists.

@ottahand7  Nancy, I'm sorry your computer is acting up.  I hope you can get it working again.

451001552_122156968316092191_5500425032135474130_n.jpg.91f8cee43e6612e5f0fe9f9872826851.jpg

451178412_122152397606046952_5104586309187090683_n.jpg.23ec894e536535b02836ed5d93b66c33.jpg

451255460_122188308476032823_8630516971036559010_n.jpg.a3fffe9e9bf22a689c5d8f02bc333722.jpg

451484866_122152274474053854_622665408694957057_n.jpg.3185567535eeedb466b56e0cf473ea06.jpg

451493260_10231660127179360_4989698716467574737_n.jpg.746cb969b349c19c850b08dccf8d61d7.jpg

451081200_10225116817612746_6293041981698104640_n.jpg.e5789a823e11a107252b63d994e8150f.jpg

Lenda

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 14

Good sunny and warm morning. It already feeling like 88 with storms coming this afternoon. There was many reports of trees and wires down with power outages .

@Crazy For Cats, Happy Anniversary Jake and Juan. I hope the kids enjoy the day with the both of you.

Stay cool.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2