The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday July 19th, 2024

Dear Dailyites, 

Sad news here this morning. My dear sister needs a double mastectomy. She will go in for blood work for genetic testing,  as we don't have family history. With her scleroderma she can't have radiation due to her lung issues. Chemotherapy ok. Don't know if implants can go in during initial surgery yet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 33

Good morning, everyone!

I am beat after yesterday.  Today is going to be a quiet day of relaxation.  It is going to be a beautiful day here in mid-Michigan.  It is sunny and temps will be right around 80.  

@smitty34877 For your DB

Birthdaymen.jpg.6748efabad88df53bc3ba909f6336ed9.jpg

@Lady Hudson

Anniversary.jpg.89c4ed76659afffb551cc76378a51ecc.jpg

Bon Voyage to @cunnorl and @St Pete Cruiser!  Take good care of the Zuiderdam.  We'll be getting on when you get off.  

Salad sounds good to me.  We had a wonderful salad yesterday at the Art Fair.  Our booth was right in front of a restaurant called Jerusalem Gardens.  It made it easy to order and pick up our lunch!  I would make today's salad with a green other than spinach.  Spinach is high in oxalates and oxalates help make kidney stones.  I have a tendency towards them, so avoid raw spinach, beets, rhubarb, and almonds.  There are a lot of swaps you can make with this salad.  Strawberry Avocado Spinach Salad

strawberryavocadospinachsaladwithshrimp1.thumb.jpg.1d1ca356eb1ef743351ab1931a602f93.jpg

This one has a poppyseed dressing that goes with it.  Too sweet for me, but I'm sure others will like it!   Strawberry Avocado Salad with Poppyseed Dressing

strawberryavocadospinachsaladwithshrimp2.thumb.jpg.23cf0f3cf799fbfb67146a79ae8e17f0.jpg

This one has a strawberry balsamic vinaigrette that you can also use to marinate some chicken to go on the salad.  Strawberry Spinach Salad

strawberryavocadospinachsaladwithshrimp3.thumb.jpg.8e1ecfacb55992dbfe1027dabd44374c.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 17

4 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Dear Dailyites, 

Sad news here this morning. My dear sister needs a double mastectomy. She will go in for blood work for genetic testing,  as we don't have family history. With her scleroderma she can't have radiation due to her lung issues. Chemotherapy ok. Don't know if implants can go in during initial surgery yet.

I am so sorry to hear this, Joy.  Hugs to you and your sister.  

• Like 22

DH cancelled his appointment.  He called the surgeon from last week, and is waiting a call back, his artery is bulging, and he is in a lot of pain.  This has been going on all week, but hopefully they will call him back today.

In 2020 I broke the tip off my left elbow....spent most of the summer in a somewhat medicated state, but the pain went away, I went through PT, until medicare ran out, and the doc said I would have about 92 % use,. but today it is really hurting.  Not sure why unless its the humidity.

I hope you guys dont mind if I post a picture of the day of a place or time that made me happy.  If so, let me know and I will stop.

image.thumb.jpeg.475bc6eed27606991759e52bd4af09f3.jpeg

We were on Grouse Mountain, and our guide said that there hadn't been a grouse seen in years.  Perhaps every one moves around too quickly, while DH and BFF headed to the top of the mountain, I saw this following a woman up a path.

image.thumb.jpeg.ec63229f937cb25b689252c019258181.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1302d1ceaabf4622475104c593a53db6.jpeg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 9

Only 83 for a high today and dew points in the 50s!  Nice!  

I’ll have to learn more about the IT outage. I have a friend-of-a-friend flying from NM to Washington today, then together they fly tomorrow to Denmark for a Scandinavian tour. At least they purchased the whole transportation package through the tour company, Collette, so I hope they get it all worked out. Geezsh, travel is hard enough when things are “normal.”  

@kazu Thanks for gathering the energy to update us!  Sorry about the prospective buyers but your job now is to recover. So glad you have help!  I hope Ivan is recovering well too. 

Good luck to Annie and Chuck today!  And Lenda and Steve!  And Ann and Pat!  

🥂Happy celebrating to Katherine and DH, and Terry and DB!  🌈 Life is Good!  

We’re glad to be rocking along, one day at a time is Everything!  Enjoyed dinner in our main dining room last night with neighbors down the hall, nice of them to invite us to join them. DH continues to put up pictures!  This afternoon I have a mindfulness “class” and either the pool or the gym on my way back from the other side of the campus. Monday I did pool exercises for my hip and aggravated a back issue so I’ve been gentle to it this week but it’s time to get moving again. 

Still no update from Social Security on my application of June 12. They say 30 days so it’s overdue. I have a phone appt for July 24 that I should be able to cancel because of the online application but now I’m not sure. I had hoped to see a Maryland friend that day while she’ll be only about 90 mins from me in Bethlehem PA. Still hoping I’ll see her!  DH says he’ll come with me so I can do the call even if we’re driving. I’m just not sure…. 

Blessings to all in need of direction, healing, comfort or hope!  I hope you can enjoy something meaningful today!  Thanks for being here!  
Maureen 

• Like 24

Posted (edited)

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

@kazu Jacqui, so glad that the procedure went well. Hopefully the recovery brings relief.

We reached another plateau with Sam yesterday. I guess I measure his deterioration in levels or plateaus. On the walk yesterday, he tripped on a curb during the return. If something like that occurs he is sometimes so weak that he goes down on all fours. About a minute to recover and then slowly backup but his rear legs are in more of a crouch than normal. Thankfully he made it back home without further problems. We made sure that he took it easy the rest of the day. He did his normal head butting to tell me he was hungry! Today is close to normal but a very short walk as he gets tired easily lately.

I spoke with his vet later yesterday morning and described what had occurred. Describing the event I told her that I believe that it is almost time and to expect a call from me by next month. We will have him 3 years on August 10 and I want to be selfish to at least keep him that long. Then again he might rally again like he did in March. But yesterday showed me that he is definitely showing his age now. It is a shame that pets can't tell us more.

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

DSC05460.thumb.JPG.093ad6eb773479d7cbdf0c5b579c6c79.JPG

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 23

28 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Dear Dailyites, 

I'm so sorry to hear this news Joy.

Our prayers 🙏 are with you and your sister that she will be cured.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

I've never had a retainer, neither international nor domestic. (I had to check which kind of retainer the day is for.)

Tallulah Bankhead appeared as a character in a novel by Elliott Roosevelt, who portrayed his mother as a detective. Eleanor referred to Tallulah as "Speaker Bankhead's daughter"--her father was Speaker of the House.

No on the salad (shrimp). I was surprised by the idea of cherry grenadine: historically grenadine was made from pomegranate, from which the name comes, but since World War II it has been made from raspberries in the U.S. I shouldn't have been surprised that the cherry growers have gotten in on the act. No Lambrusco in the Finger Lakes, but for a sweet red maybe Bully Hill's Banty Red, $9.99 for a bottle or $18.99 for a 3L box.

Does anyone remember where we keep the bubble wrap? I got a knock on the head yesterday.

Remember the funeral? At least one person who attended both the funeral and one of the services at the family home later tested positive for you-know-what.

ponyespresso.jpg.0bdd94c3b9b2d982362325c2b4958e9f.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I'm always grateful for Flight Attendants and do pay attention to their safety procedures, never had to wear a retainer, and I second the motion for a Frozen Strawberry Daiquiri!

It's a warm morning out there; we're starting at 22(71F), and heading up to 34(93) by mid-afternoon.  As yesterday, we've got heat warnings and the radio and television are advertising the cooling locations around the city, including city buses which can be accessed for free if cooling is required.  I noticed our lawn was looking pretty dry, so last evening we put the sprinkler on the back yard and let it go for a number of hours - that should help perk it up.  

I wanted to show you some of the flowers we do have in our back yard up here on the "frozen tundra" during the summer.

This is one of 2 pots flanking the fountain:

Flowers2.JPG.78c76b057b565b42ee5487f5511d5f2c.JPG

Pretty coral begonias:

Flowers1.JPG.baf0f04d9af4502c833f69b4cb38587c.JPG

The ground cover at the base of the sculpture started off as one 12" pot that I split into 4 pieces about 5 years ago - it's taken off and has survived all through the winter without being covered.

Flowers3.JPG.d1be1ad88a60f673b5a4ff88f1e91e62.JPG

And finally, my day lilies are blooming - after Summerfest, of course!

Flowers4.JPG.a25bada6054d086d4d24767d1b43559e.JPG

@Lady Hudsonwishing you and your DH a very Happy Anniversary!
@smitty34877please wish your DB Happy Birthday from your Canadian friends!

@Seasick Sailorwhat dreadful news for your DS; I do hope the surgery and subsequent treatment will cure her cancer.

@marshhawkI can't imagine living where you are without a/c!  Sorry to hear DH is having such awful health issues - I hope you/he can find a solution soon!

@kazuthank you for checking in - sorry the house didn't get an offer, but you know that's going to happen soon.  Take care and do what you need to in order to get well again.

@Heartgrovethank you for the update on Sam - I'm hoping for better days ahead for him.

I'd love to have today's salad (minus the avocado), have written down the drink recipe for testing purposes, and will say yes to the wine.  It's Friday night pizza night here, so we'll look over the online menus to see what tickles our fancy and order something that we can enjoy in the shade in the back yard tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in pain, in grief, and in wars.  Cheers to all who have celebrations happening.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 33
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good sunny and wonderfully cool morning. It’s 64 with low humidity and an expected high of 85 today. I wish it would last for the rest of summer. 
I can’t post all the details because it’s political in nature but there are some terrible people in the world. Search for Bernville Pa borough in the news and you will understand.

@kazu, praying yesterday went well for you. 
Blessings and prayers to all on our journey.

That is very disturbing.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, puppycanducruise said:

I hear there is a global IT outage, I hope it is solved quickly and doesn't adversely affect too many.

So I’m at work and the internet is down. I’m on hold with IT. I'm #12 in line, wait time is 108 minutes. Things like this make me nervous for my flight to my cruise next month. 

In other news it’s starting to heat up again. 😏

IMG_9080.thumb.jpeg.14080364a97671ee71dc5ed747a314db.jpeg

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List. Stay safe and healthy everyone. 

Edited by dobiemom
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 1

I will take a frozen peach daiquiri please, since it is peach season here.

So many smiles today- celebrations, anniversaries and the good report from  @kazu.  Good luck on selling the house. I bet the staging gets some attention. A house two doors down from us went on the market this week and sold in a few hours. Wishing you the same kind of luck!

Talulah was born here and the building she was born is privately owned today. Bottom floors are offices and the top floor is used by the family as guest quarters. My favorite Talulah memory is the episode of “I Love Lucy” when she was a  guest star.  We have had various Talulah bars, tea rooms and restaurants over the years.

Prayers go out to all on the Daily. I will round up the ingredients and make that salad. Thanks for all the news, updates, recipes and HAL info. Good luck to everyone struggling today because of the IT glitch. I just heard that it started because of a cyber security firm software update. What a mess! 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Happy Friday thanks for the daily and fleet report. I always listen to the flight attendant’s safety message though most people don’t. Never had braces, not a fan of daiquiris or the other comestibles and Komodo Island is on my bucket list. Interesting days in history but, after researching it, I definitely will toast the Seneca Falls Convention (women’s rights). 

Internet finally came back on yesterday even though I kept getting notifications it hadn’t. Then it went off again last night and still off. Who knows if it was because of the storm on Sunday or the IT outage or what. I have resorted to my iPad. I think I have PTSD from the Sunday storm as we had a severe storm warning last evening and I went out and secured everything. All I got was some rain. Whew!

Today the final tiles will be secured down after gluing the top row a couple of days ago. I tested the placement yesterday and found one place where there was a problem but I fixed it. Tomorrow is the day of grouting!  

@kazu I am glad surgery went well and you are on the mend. Don’t fret over the first “lookers” not wanting to buy. There will be plenty others, I am sure. 
Happy Anniversary @Lady Hudson

Happy Birthday to @smitty34877 DB. The sweater is gorgeous!

Sorry to hear about the need for a double mastectomy of your sister @Seasick Sailor  Thoughts going your way. 

Thoughts for all and cheers for those celebrating. Have a great day everyone!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Dear Dailyites, 

Joy, I am so sorry. But the success rate of this operation is phenomenal. Keeping her and you on my prayer list. 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, 

Today is supposed to be in the high 70's which is a bit cooler than the last few days. I finally got the suitcase unpacked but haven't put everything away yet. 

DM is doing well. She's getting stronger and is now taking short walks in the hallway of her facility about 3 times each day. She's back to making phone calls and checking on her cousins (she's the oldest). 

Today is a busy day. I have PT at 10:40 (and I need it!) then stops at the big box store, the card store and hopefully to the pool by 12:45 or so. I have a class there at 1:15 and will do some of my own workout. Then a final grocery store stop on the way home for just a couple of items. I'm hoping that once I'm home the car doesn't move until Monday. There is road work on my route to town so have to allow an extra 10 minutes or so to follow the pilot car. 

Next cruise is Aug. 10 - 17 on Discovery Princess with another friend Karen. She's really looking forward to seeing whales and riding the train in Skagway. We'll be at the front railroad dock so have to tender for a short ride to the marina due to the landslide. We're doing an excursion to Bennett Lake with Chilcoot Tours with the bus ride first and the train last. It's an all-day event. DD DH and I did it a number of years ago in reverse and really enjoyed it. 

Have a good day everyone!

Karen

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and Happy Friday!  Wow, we had a doozy of a storm last night. It lasted all evening and we got a small amount of pea sized hail. Lightening lasted even longer over the foothills and mountains. It came in from the east so that’s why Pennie @Nickelpenny didn’t get hit as hard as we did. The back yard is a mess and a chair blew into the pool. Craig will be doing some cleanup. 

Happy Anniversary @Lady Hudson!! 🥂🥂

Happy Birthday to Terry’s DB @smitty34877!!  🎈🎈

I’ll pass on the meal today. I’m planning on making pizza. Yesterday was chicken tacos. I can’t wait until my cruise next month so I don’t have to come up with meal ideas. 

Hugs to Jacqui @kazu and Annie @marshhawk today. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

A late good morning to all. Slept in as I had some stomach discomfort last night. Kept me awake for several hours but the dogs were kind and let me sleep in. Will take it very easy today. I suspect it was something I ate.

@kazuGlad you are home and the hope the legs heal quickly. Sorry about the house sale being a no go... but I suspect the right buyer will come along soon.

We were at Komodo Island on the GANZ this year, but the weather and walking would have been  too much for me and I stayed on the ship. Too bad, but given heat and humidity and the length of the walk it was best for me. Do it while you are still active if you want to do it.... I waited a bit too long.

Susan

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

...We will have him 3 years on August 10 and I want to be selfish to at least keep him that long. Then again he might rally again like he did in March. But yesterday showed me that he is definitely showing his age now. It is a shame that pets can't tell us more.

DSC05460.thumb.JPG.093ad6eb773479d7cbdf0c5b579c6c79.JPG

Hugs for you and Sam. Thanks for sharing the update and the wonderful picture; you have a beautiful boy.❤️

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

A good selection of days, I'll pass on the red wine, but would like the drink and meal (minus the avocado).  I would choose either the 2nd or 3rd recipe.  Our local strawberries just ended early this week, or I would make it now.

Since no one has posted photos from Komodo Island, I'll share some of mine from our visit this year on the Grand Australia/NZ.  It was a very interesting day, but it's once and done for me.  We walked longer than expected in the high heat and humidity. DH and I did alright, but a few among our tour group had to return back -- one poor woman had to be carried back. 😞  DH and I brought lots of water and had our battery-operated fans (a life saver for me).  

Happy Birthday to Terry's @smitty34877 DB!

Jacqui @kazu I'm very happy to hear that the doctors declared your surgery a success!  The right person will come along -- as they say, it only takes one.

Joy @Seasick Sailor Very sorry to hear that your sister had to have a double mastectomy.  Prayers that she will be healed completely.

Bon Voyage @cunnorl!

Bon Voyage @St Pete Cruiser!

Today I'll be driving south to water DD's garden again.  I'll most likely have to do it only once more (maybe twice) before they return home.  There has been no rain in the month they've been gone, so I've had to go more than we expected.

You must have a tour (either ship or private) to get off the ship in Komodo.  The tender alone is not advised for anyone with mobility problems.  Here's the steps (no rail, high steps) at the tender pier.  

tenderstepsKomodo.thumb.jpg.c6f10a07d844fb1417101584eb8fe686.jpg

welcome.thumb.jpg.824447d18e518a1b970331b0d2fff2f6.jpg

The dragons are everywhere.  We had 3 guides with long forked sticks who kept us at a safe distance from the dragons.  Most of them were sleeping, I never felt unsafe.

Komododragon.thumb.jpg.ea6e8b9ed75d262937019635e76f04e5.jpg

Komododragons.thumb.jpg.e6a1e113b1df28acebd27f824a863f2c.jpg

This mama was guarding her nest.

Mamaonnest.thumb.jpg.73cb8faa8df9970d2dcddd0923c89133.jpg

She left and went past us (this was taken zoomed in)

mamaleavingnest.thumb.jpg.8a122f78bb54a3cda8988407424c3924.jpg

This is trick photography!!  We did NOT come this close, trust me.

trickphotography.thumb.jpg.c70f611dcd1639d2e28e0af8a772d391.jpg

At the end of the day, the last dragon we saw was this one on the beach.  A juvenile.

lastoneonthebeach.thumb.jpg.d5e89b6a6c07fd054f8a6972b0f89694.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 17
  • Haha 1

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie for the FR&D   I’ll celebrate Flight Attendants, finished with my retainer probably 65 years ago and will pass on the Daqueri..   Special prayers for  Terri, Katherine’s friend, Sandi’s brother, Scottie,  Chuck, Bonnie and Tana with  Annie and Chuck at the top of the list.  

Funny quote by Bankhead.

I have not been to Komodo Islland..

Three very diverse days in history today.  I’ll especially celebrate Nadia, 1843l.

I’ll pass on the meal. , My alternative is Salad of Arigila and Frisee, Rack of Lamb, and Strawberry Roman0ff as served on  MS Volendam July 19, 2018

dishes19.jpg

I was actually home about 8:45 but too busy to keep up with the ever lengthening FR&D.  I’m sorry Jacqui’s house did not sell but pleased by the report of the smiles on the surgeon’s face.  Happy Birthday to smitty34877's DB.  Happy Anniversary Katherine and Bill.  Welcome back to the USA St. Louis Cruisers and tupper10.

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3