The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday August 11th, 2024

richwmn

Today is Ingersoll Day, National Align Your Teeth Day, and National Hip Hop Day

Don't forget Mother's Day. Or as they call it in Beverly Hills, Dad's Third Wife Day. - Jay Leno

Meal Suggestion for today - BBQ Chicken
Drink of the Day - Kenyan Dawa
Wine of the Day - Francis Coppola Diamond Collection Claret
Destination of the Day - Katakolon (Olympia), Greece

Today in History:
1954 Formal peace treaty ends over 7 yrs of fighting in Indochina between the French and the Communist Viet Minh
1992 Mall of America Opens its Doors to Shoppers

Ship Locations

Eurodam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Explorer

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 08-12

Koningsdam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage

At Sea Destination Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm, Alaska eta 08-12

Nieuw Amsterdam --- 7 days, one-way from Whittier to Vancouver

Vancouver, Canada 0700-1600

Nieuw Statendam --- 21 days, round-trip Ultimate Viking Explorer

Grundarfjordur, Iceland 0800-1700

Noordam --- 7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Whittier

Whittier, Alaska 0100-1930

Oosterdam --- 21 days, one-way from Civitavecchia-Rome to Piraeus-Athens

Istanbul, Turkey -ovn--1500

Rotterdam --- 14 days, round-trip Britain, Scotland Ireland

Dublin, Ireland 0800-1700

Volendam --- 24 days, round-trip Canada, New England Iceland

At Sea Destination Nanortalik, Greenland eta 08-12

Westerdam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Explorer

Seattle, Washington 0700-1500

Zaandam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage

Glacier Bay, Alaska 0700-1600

Zuiderdam --- 35 days, round-trip Voyage Of The Vikings

At Sea Destination Djupivogur, Iceland eta 08-12

0811World.thumb.png.d0b1e8ce0263fb5bf1a493385fc7fd67.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 26

Good morning friends!  This morning it’s 70F with clear skies.  We expect a high of 92 with sunshine today.  Thanks Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the ship location maps.

Interesting days to recognize.  Jay Leno has always been a funny man.  I’d enjoy the BBQ chicken, but would skip the drink and wine.  It’s always good to hear of a peace treaty, and the Mall of America opening makes me wonder how that mall is doing these days.  Thanks Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for your F&B reports.

Prayers for our Care list Dailyites in need of them including Tana and Terry, Chuck and Annie, Joy’s DS Bonnie, Nancy’s DB, Ann and Pat, Jacqui, Elizabeth, Roy, Debbie, Terri and Jim.  I can’t wait to hear that you are feeling much better!  Prayers too for my DB, twin sister, DD, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, and our military members in that dangerous region.  Congrats to all celebrating their special occasions, cruising and preparing to cruise!  Hope it’s wonderful!  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for your list keeping work everyday!

Our destination today is Katakolon, Olympia, Greece.  Being very popular, we’ve seen it here three times before.  June 18, 2021, March 23, 2022, and March 30, 2023.  Here are the links and I’ll show my photos again too.

Charlene @cunnorl do you know if Chantal is still the Future Cruise Consultant on the Zuiderdam?  If she is, could you stop and tell her happy birthday on Tuesday August 13th?  Also remind her it is Left Handers Day on Tuesday because she is a lefty too.  She noticed DH’s birthday when we were booking with her.  Please tell her the former guests across the hall from her cabin, Sandi and Dennis wish her a happy birthday too!

Hope you all have a relaxing Sunday.  Please stay safe and keep well!

• Like 29

Thank you for today's daily reports.

It is 62°F and sunny here.

3 interesting days.

BBQ chicken is nice.

We have sailed into Katakolon on a few occasions.

I hope everyone is feeling well and y'all have a wonderful day.

Screenshot_20240811_113004.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 13

Kenyan Dawa cocktail:

"Dawa means "medicine" or "magic potion" in Swahili. In other words, a dawa is said to be so potent that it will cure whatever ails you. The recipe is based on a famous Brazilian drink that was introduced to Kenya. It is now one of the most widely consumed cocktails in Kenya and has spread through out North and South Africa (especially in touristy regions).

Ingredients:
1 teaspoon sugar or brown sugar
2 oz. vodka
1 whole lime, quarter with skin on
1 dawa stick, twisted in creamed honey
Crushed ice

Directions:

Put lime and sugar into a whisky tumbler .
Crush limes slightly, add ice and pour into the vodka.
At this point you twist a dawa stick into some honey and add the stick to the drink.
A wooden honey stick or other type of stick twisted in honey will work.
Muddle limes with dawa or honey stick.  The more you crush the limes into the mixture and stir the sweeter the taste.

Screenshot 2024-08-11 at 6.30.17 AM.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 20

Katakolon (Olympia), Greece

Way back in 2014 we enjoyed a Black Sea cruise, followed by a Holy Land cruise on the beautiful Prinsendam.  It was our first cruise on her, and on Holland America, but that ship kept us coming back.  On Oct. 31, 2014 we had a nice visit to Katakolon but made no plans to see Olympia. We needed a rest day after extensive tours in Haifa, Ashdod and Naples (Amalfi coast).

There were many shops and cafes to check out.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

I wish I knew what this was.

Looks like you could find a way to Olympia at this location if you wanted to.

If you feel like museums, they have a big one there.

Then there was St. Nicolas Church with the Navy Memorial right in front of it on the sidewalk.

But the waterfront area was the nicest spot to spend some time.

With a nice view of the famous BHB, Prinsendam

Some of the very nice cafes along the water, where you could enjoy a refreshing beverage and use the Wi-Fi.

And finally, since it was Halloween, we got a kick out of the fun display outside the Prinsendam dining room that evening.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 10

Good morning and happy day to all the Dailyites!!

Thank you for the Daily and reports and information!!  

@grapau27, I needed the information on Ingersoll Day!

The other two days -- I don't think my teeth will ever be aligned, but they work and that's what counts!!  

As for hip Hop Day...  the closest I'll get to that is watching Breaking during the Olympics...  It's fascinating!!  I will only imagine doing it -- along with all the other Olympics activities...

@summer slope, the Kenyan Dawa sounds yummy!!!

I'll await a new recipe for BBQ Chicken...  I wonder if it will be sauce, grilled, "rotissed" (Is that a word?), or smoked???

Have an outstanding day doing whatever it is that you're doing today!  

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Today’s Care List:

Lindaler’s DS with an emergency situation

Heartgrove having to put Sam down

Seasick Sailor’s DN’s Dad with a stroke, in hospital

Those affected by Debby, with rain, flooding, high winds

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness, poor appetite

Vict0riann’s DH Pat needing heart valve surgery

Cruzin Terri’s DH Jim with memory and anxiety issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage RMLincoln (Maureen & Richard)!

Birth of Heartgrove’s (Jack’s) new granddaughter 8/5!

Dfish post nerve ablation; able to walk longer and without a cane

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 day for Haljo1935 (MSC Magnifica Aug 12 to Aug 16) 4d Bahamas

6 days for 0106 (Rotterdam Aug 17 to Aug 31) 14d Best of Norway

MISTER 67 (MSC Seashore to Aug 11) 7d W. Caribbean, ski ww (Rotterdam to Aug 17) 14 Night Britain, Scotland & Ireland, Luvteaching (Discovery Princess to Aug 17) 7d Alaska Inside passage w/Glacier Bay National Park, Horizon Chaser 1957 (Volendam to Aug 20) 24d Canada, NE, Iceland, Cunnorl (Zuiderdam to Aug 24) 35d Voyage of the Vikings, St Pete Cruiser (Zuiderdam to Aug 24) 35d Voyage of the Vikings,  RMLincoln (Emerald Princess to Aug 28) 17d Greenland & Canada and Norseh2o (Oceania Marina to Aug 29) 44d Epic Northern Adventure London to London, celebrating 50th anniversary

• Like 15
  • Thanks 22

Good morning.  Happy Sunday.  Thanks for the Report.

Cloudy and windy with thunderstorms in the forecast.  I'll guess I'll stay in ... oh no, Bertie wants a walk, just going out into the backyard isn't good enough.🙂

Interesting days.  There's a town of Ingersoll in Southern Ontario - they make really good cheese there.  My teeth are not aligned, but they work, so that's okay.   I'm not sure about Hip Hop music, but others like it.

Amusing quote.

The meal and drink would be okay with me.  I'm sure the wine will be too.

We were in Katakolon many years ago.

Prayers for so many.  I hope there are lots of celebrations.

Have a peaceful day.

• Like 28

Thank you for today’s FR&D, Rich! A perfect morning for a walk. Yesterday’s rains took a bit of the humidity out of the air.

Last night’s dinner was great. The air fryer scallops were perfect So tender and moist. And so easy. A keeper recipe. Actually two recipes since I used the garlic/parsley butter sauce from a second recipe. Though the scallops were tasty enough on their own. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with our happenings. 

Gym, Aldi, Bindi walks, clean up from last night and lots of chores. Maybe some pool time. 

IMG_3259.jpeg.d717316fd8165636c5e1370bac253b74.jpeg

IMG_3277.jpeg.807768ce0dd0d11531aa178d7a8124dd.jpeg

IMG_3278.jpeg.7364de7a3cd2c0005c201336f8723850.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. 
Tana & Terry, praying that you have a good, uneventful day. 
Chuck & Annie, praying that your day is uneventful and pain free. 

Praying that all our caregivers find time to take care of themselves. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. 
Bon Voyage Maureen & Richard!

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Francis Coppola Diamond Collection Claret 2021

Lots of fans of this wine. Easy to find and priced to try. I used the 2021 vintage info. Online prices start at $13.02.

Winemaker notes

The crown jewel of the Diamond Collection showcases flavors of plum, black pepper, and cocoa.

Diamond Collection wines are made from grapes grown across California and are carefully combined to create wines perfect for all occasions – including those special just because ones.

Since its inception, Claret has been the crown jewel of the Diamond Collection. This year’s Claret reflects a diversity of varietals and vineyards whose soils contribute to the wine’s complexity.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 15
  • Haha 2

Good morning, everyone!

It is currently a chilly 58F with a promise of warming to 75F.  Yesterday's promise didn't happen and it was rather chilly for the family picnic.  That didn't stop the fun and enjoyment, though.  Everyone had a good time holding Baby Addie.  She is a good sport and plays well with others.  

Today friends from Toledo are driving up for a visit.  If the rain dries up we may go over to Dow Gardens for a bit.  If not, we'll enjoy a few games of Farkle.  

@Seasick Sailor Thanks for checking in.  We are a bunch of worry warts, you know. 

@superoma Hope things are all going well for you.  You've been quiet.

Who doesn't like BBQ Chicken?  Nothing says summer better than BBQ chicken on the grill and that is how the first recipe prepares it. You can use any part of the chicken you prefer.  The recipe calls for legs, but we leave those to River to eat.   BBQ Chicken Grill

BBQchicken1.thumb.jpg.0e64ae89fbc0e493dfbe3b37acef3026.jpg

This next one uses chicken breasts and has instructions for grilling or using the oven.  If it is raining, the oven may be a good thing!  BBQ Chicken Breasts

BBQchicken2.thumb.jpg.b27ccd5d5ab431643dedf865599cb751.jpg

In this recipe the Pioneer Woman adds peach preserves and hot sauce to your favorite BBQ sauce and cooks the chicken in the oven.  That would be a great way to extend summer into the winter months.   Oven BBQ Chicken

BBQchicken3.thumb.png.43c990fe51f743f3ab45ff8c3e6421b6.png

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 19

Oops Looks like I did my Bon Voyage a day early.  Sorry about that Maureen & Richard.

Oh what the heck, here’s another one - maybe it will make your cruise twice as good 😉 

Bon voyage Maureen & Richard @RMLincoln

Have a great cruise and a WONDERFUL time !

IMG_1214.jpeg.5b0524166a265de8811750f37fa90af1.jpeg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Kenyan Dawa cocktail:

"Dawa means "medicine" or "magic potion" in Swahili. In other words, a dawa is said to be so potent that it will cure whatever ails you. The recipe is based on a famous Brazilian drink that was introduced to Kenya. It is now one of the most widely consumed cocktails in Kenya and has spread through out North and South Africa (especially in touristy regions).

Ingredients:
1 teaspoon sugar or brown sugar
2 oz. vodka
1 whole lime, quarter with skin on
1 dawa stick, twisted in creamed honey
Crushed ice

Directions:

Put lime and sugar into a whisky tumbler .
Crush limes slightly, add ice and pour into the vodka.
At this point you twist a dawa stick into some honey and add the stick to the drink.
A wooden honey stick or other type of stick twisted in honey will work.
Muddle limes with dawa or honey stick.  The more you crush the limes into the mixture and stir the sweeter the taste.

Screenshot 2024-08-11 at 6.30.17 AM.png

In the US it’s called Love Potion #9! 😀

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

Morning folks. Dawn is breaking and first impression is this going to be another gray day.

We have been to today’s port a couple of times. Would love to have a Greek salad for lunch. Greece has such wonderful produce. 
Need to start getting ready for church. We are going shopping this afternoon for some things we need around the house. Other than that no big plans.

Thanks for reports and post.

image.thumb.jpeg.16c6f6134068d0ff41f404c09eb61504.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5e286dd37499eb91792585be5f990853.jpegimage.jpeg.2fa213814752bf34a1ff378ebb84f07e.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Haha 19

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

In 2019 we were cruising aboard the  Nieuw Statendam on a 20 Night Collector Voyage. We called at Katakolon and took the train to Olympia. On the return trip, the driver had noticed that I was interested in the train itself and invited me up into the cab. I do have a lifelong interest trains. At the midpoint stop at Ilias, the driver saw that Sue had been traveling with me and invited her into the cab as well! While going along we were talking with the driver about the landscape. Sue commented about the fruit trees along the right-of-way. The driver actually stopped the train next to an orange tree so Sue could get a better look!

Ironically yesterday we received a FB Memory post from two years ago! It was pictures of Sam and mentioned that we had had what turned out to be our first episode of him not being able to stand. It must of been the next day that the vet cam to check him out. At that point she predicted we would only have him 1 to 1-1/2 years longer. He thankfully beat her prediction!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 31
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

Good Sunday morning.  We begin the day with 52 degrees and sunshine but it is going to blow big time today.  I hope I can work on sanding with the electric sander where the log stain peeled.  

Thanks for the Daily Rich.  Ingersoll was a large defense company in Kalamazoo when I was a little child.  I was the only kid in the family that escaped braces.  I think I will pass on hip hop.  Silly quote.  Will pass on the BBQ today, we had oven BBQ ribs yesterday, today's cocktail yes, even better with dark rum.  Pass on the Coppola Diamond wines, they never did anything for me.  Thanks for the lovely port photos today Sandi! 

Thanks for the cares and celebrations reports Vanessa.   Prayers for Annie after she was brief yesterday afternoon, I pray everything is okay with Chuck, and with her.  Prayers for Tana and Terry.   Prayers for everyone else who are ailing or grieving.  Jacqui I hope the moving process is going along smoothly.    Prayers for all in war zones through no fault of their own.  

We have lucked out, each rainy day the sun has come out for a little bit so the batteries remain charged.   Almost all my day lilies are still blooming and one pink Japanese Iris popped out one last bloom.  I went out to fill my hummingbird feeder last night and a hen turkey and seven or eight large chicks were walking down the sidewalk.  The birdseed I feed my Chipmunks must be pulling in more than just little birds.  Have a nice Sunday!  Nancy 

IMG_20240810_165757944_HDR.jpg

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 4

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann and Dixie for the FR&D     Three interestingt days to celebrate..    Special prayers for Carol  Terri, Katherine’s friend, Sandi’s brother, Scottie,  Chuck, Annie and Tana with  Annie and Chuck at the top of the list....  Bon Voyage Maireen.  Great to hear from Joy

I like the quote today..

Dominican Republic 2 days in a row. I visited Samana in 2011 and 2013 on Enchantment of the Seas.   In 2011 I just walked around town on my own and was totally unimpressed.  In 2013 I booked a walking tour.,.

I have a feeling that 1954 peace treaty did not hold up long.  I stopped once in the Mall of America,

The meal sounds good.  I’ll hold the alternative for a later date.

Church today is about all that’s on the adjenda..

Roy

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

Happy Sunday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Very refreshing day this morning. Getting up to just 80 today. Expecting some cooler weather over the next several days. I have a few chores to do today and then I am relaxing. 59 days until my cruise. Getting closer? 

Bon voyage to @RMLincoln!

Crisp Mini on Embarking/Disembarking in DzC

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Funny & Inspirational Sunday Morning Quotes and Images | Super cute ...

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1