The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday August 21st, 2024

richwmn

Posted (edited)

Today is International Day of Remembrance and Tribute To The Victims of Terrorism, Internet Self-care Day, and National Spumoni Day

When we ask for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice. - Saul Bellow

Meal Suggestion for today - Veggie Pesto Pasta
Drink of the Day - Tokyo Tea
Wine of the Day - Wapato Point Cellars 2018 Cabernet Franc
Destination of the Day - Sokcho, South Korea

Today in History:
1888 American inventor William Seward Burroughs patents the adding machine
1959 Hawaii becomes the 50th US state

Ship Locations

Eurodam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Explorer

Sitka, Alaska   0800-1600  

Koningsdam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage
Glacier Bay, Alaska   0700-1600  

Nieuw Amsterdam --- 7 days, one-way from Whittier to Vancouver
Skagway, Alaska   0700-2100  

Nieuw Statendam --- 21 days, round-trip Ultimate Viking Explorer
Inverness, Scotland   0800-ovn-  

Noordam --- 7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Whittier
Juneau, Alaska   1000-2130  

Oosterdam --- 7 days, round-trip All Star Irish Cruise
Mykonos, Greece   0000-0000  

Rotterdam --- 7 days, round-trip Norse Legends
Flam, Norway      

Volendam --- 11 days, one-way from Boston to Montreal
Portland, Maine   0700-1600  

Westerdam --- 7 days, round-trip Escape With Effy
Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm, Alaska
Juneau, Alaska
  0800-0830
1230-2130

Zaandam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage
Vancouver, Canada   0700-1600  

Zuiderdam --- 35 days, round-trip Voyage Of The Vikings
At Sea Destination Halifax, Nova Scotia   eta 08-22

0821Alaska.png

0821Atlantic.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 29

Good morning friends!  Today we’re only 79 before dawn.  The high will be about 98F with more sunshine.  Last night we went out to eat and turned down sitting on the covered patio so had to wait 25 minutes for a table inside with AC!  Afterwards took Ren to a store to get some notebooks and folders for a class.  I spent the entire day at the apartment working on the stocking and it is slow work!

Thanks Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the ship location maps.  A worthy day of remembrance for all who are victims of terrorism.  We use the internet for everything so why not self care?  I should try some spumoni since I usually avoid it.  Too many other flavors I like.  The quote seems cynical to me, and I’ll pass on the pasta and cocktail.  Not sure if I’d like the wine.  Hurray for adding machines and Hawaii was a nice addition to the Union. Thank you Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for your reporting every day.

Prayers for our Care list group, including Tana and Terry, Chuck and Annie, Melisa and her DH, Joy’s DS Bonnie after surgery, Nancy’s DB, Edi, Jacqui, Elizabeth, Roy, Jane’s DS, Debbie, Terri and Jim, @doobieb’s DH, and Vanessa.  Also for my DB, twin sister, DD, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, and our military members in war zones.  Hoping for improvement for all on the list and any of us who keep their pain a secret.  Hip, hip hooray for all celebrating their special events and cruising.  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for helping us out by taking on the Care and Celebration lists.  Feel better!

The port for today is another new one, Sokcho, South Korea.  I haven’t been to that city and Busan was pretty far away from it.  There are no links today. Please feel free to share your photos and experiences there with us.

Day before yesterday Ren came home from school telling us he and about 4 or 5 other FC Dallas Academy kids were called out of class to pose for photos with the principal and administrators.  There’s going to be an article in a local publication (Frisco Style?) about the school district's relationship with the athletes at the soccer Academy and how it works.  He said luckily he made it back to class in time to take an Econ test (and he got a A on it).  Only in school for a week and tests already!

Have an enjoyable day, and please try to stay safe and well.  We need to whittle down our Care list!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 7

Good morning and thanks for the daily report.  Don’t know why I’m up this early but it is what it is.

Some important days to recognize today, I think that I’ll focus on spumoni!

The quote is funny but true sometimes.

The meal sounds pretty good, I like most dishes that contain pesto.  Not sure about the drink but it sounds promising.

I have not been to today’s port.

Prayers for those folks on our prayer list and for those who need them.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today!

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning!  Happy HUMP day!

Terrorism is everywhere... 

the Internet seems to have any answer one can imagine...

And, I think it's hard to find Spumoni Ice Cream in the grocery store...  (but then, I've never looked!)

Pesto pasta sounds yummy

I can't wait to hear how a Tokyo Tea is made!

Cabernet is always on the shelf for sipping and cooking...

And, was the MASH crew ever in Sokcho???  That's the closest I'll be!

Prayers and wishes for all who need them!!  Hugs to everyone!!

• Like 30

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

A cool morning here, only 7°C (45°F).    An appointment with the Nurse Practitioner today.   I have one of those "lady tests" today.  Ugh.

Good days to observe.

I love the quote, so true.

I'll pass on the meal, not sure about the drink and hope the wine is fine.

Prayers for so many.

Have a great day.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning from the Zuiderdam

It is a foggy sea day . Fog horn blowing. Temp is in the 60s. Only a few days left of this wonderful journey. It has been amazing. They told us 1900 passengers will be getting on in Boston. 
   I did receive the refund for 2 tickets for the excursion in Reykjavík. In the future, if we all want to go, we will need to hire a car. I think that is a better choice. The coaches are just not accessible. Anyway, no worries. I am blessed to be able to go at all. 
   Stay safe and enjoy today

charlene

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thank you Rich for today's interesting FR&D.

It is sunny and 62°F here at 11.50am in North East England.

My late grandmother was Italian and Spumoni is delicious.

I don't agree with the quote.

I will pass on the food and drink.

A good day in History when Hawaii joined the USA.

I hope everyone is well after hospital visits yesterday.

Best wishes to y'all and hope you all have a peaceful and happy day.

Screenshot_20240821_113906.jpg

Screenshot_20240821_113748.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 8

Good morning Dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report.

It's a beautiful morning here today as it's only 68 degrees! 🙂 Tomorrow we might set a record low. It sure feels good after a very warm/hot summer here in SC.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day!

IMG_0880.JPG

• Like 31
  • Thanks 3

Toyko Tea cocktail:

The Tokyo Tea is a twist on the famous (some would say notorious) Long Island Iced Tea. The Tokyo version isn’t named for where it was invented; rather, the drink is distinguished from its American cousin by its signature green color, which is delivered courtesy of melon liqueur.

Ingredients:

1/2 oz gin
1/2 oz. Melon liqueur
1/2 oz. rum
1/2 oz. tequila
1/2 oz. triple sec
1/2 oz. vodka
1 oz. sweet and sour mix
1 splash club soda
Garnish: Lemon Wheat, Maraschino Cherry

Directions:

Add gin, melon liqueur, rum, tequila, triple sec, vodka and sweet-and-sour mix into a highball glass with ice and stir to combine.
Top with the club soda.
Garnish with a lemon wheel and maraschino cherry.
*Sweet-and-sour mix: Mix 1 part sugar with 1 part water. Add fresh lime juice to taste.

Screenshot 2024-08-21 at 6.59.34 AM.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 21

Good morning from Portland ME. (I’ll read the Daily later.)

We’re docked already. Doubt we’ll have time after our excursion to check out the old train near the dock. 

Heres a shot just after sunrise.

IMG_4841.jpeg

IMG_4836.jpeg

• Like 32
  • Thanks 6

Good morning, everyone!

It is cold out this morning.  Overnight temps got down into the 40s.  The good news is that we will have a nice sunny day and temps in the mid 70s by this afternoon.  It is a busy day today.  I have a follow up appointment from my nerve ablation this morning and then a haircut followed by a pedicure.  Haircut and pedicure are all at the same place.

Sue cleaned my teeth last night. She said she was not seeing what the hygienist at the dental office was talking about.  I had picked up a dental kit and was scraping away, but couldn't see what I was doing.  She said I did a decent job.  I have a follow up with the dentist when we get back from our cruise and will voice my displeasure then.  I suspect he was trying to get his production numbers up to make bonus for the month.  

Today's meal looks really good to me, but the carbs are not my friend.  I like pesto and would enjoy the dish.  You can really use whatever veggies you prefer.  If @RedneckBob was coming to dinner I would be sure to add in brussels sprouts.  Veggie Pesto Pasta

veggiepestopasta1.thumb.jpg.555f8ab28be2ba999bf258a4d24f9bd3.jpg

This one uses walnuts in the pesto instead of pine nuts.  The seasoning on the veggies sounds good, too!  Pesto Veggie Pasta

veggiepestopasta2.thumb.jpg.72e8875d70774b8686e83a8542cfcd47.jpg

This last recipe has a traditional pesto sauce and roasts the veggies rather than blanching or sauteing them.  Roasted veggies are the best!   Roasted Veggie Pesto Pasta

veggiepestopasta3.thumb.jpg.9f1af42167d8fd16064b117d4d4beeb7.jpg

Tomorrow I will be heading to the airport, but @superoma Eva will be stepping in for me.  You will be in capable hands and no one will starve!   

Wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 18

Thanks for our Hump Day Daily, Rich & thanks to Vanessa and our F & B team.

Terrorism is so deplorable.  There are far too many victims of it.There can be a lot of truth to today’s quote 😉 

Vascular surgeon follow up was not good - a total bust.   He said the pain should be gone so come back in 3 weeks and he’ll have a plan.  I fear it’s more surgery and I honestly don’t know if I can do that again.  He said physio was useless.  Well, I am keeping today’s physio appointment to discuss and see if she has any ideas to improve things or if any of mine may be valid.  I am depressed with this hanging over my head and everything I need to tend to.

Someone looking at the house did not shut the back yard  fence gate properly unknown to me.  And the wind pushed it open I discovered when I went looking when Ivan didn’t come.  Thankfully, he was at the front yard gate waiting to be left in.

@aliaschief safe travels to you today.

@Haljo1935 hoping your kitty improves today and the meds help.

Prayers for those on the Care list & those who need them 🙏 Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 14

Today’s Care List:

NextOne post hip surgery yesterday

Seasick Sailor’s DSis Bonnie post breast surgery yesterday

Lindaler’s DS with an emergency situation

Hal Sailer diagnosed with Lymphoma

Safe travels for Aliaschief & DWAliaschief traveling to MI

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness, poor appetite

Luvteaching’s stuck hip flexor muscle, slow improvement

Vict0riann post breast cancer surgery, treatment plan being finalized

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Kazu accepting an offer on her house

Lazey1’s DS Tony making slow improvement

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 day for Lady Hudson (Vision of the Seas Aug 22 to Aug 31) 9d Cabada/New England

3 days for Crazy For Cats (Zuiderdam Aug 24 to Aug 31) B2B 7d Canada/New England Discovery + (Zuiderdam Aug 31 to Sept 7) 7d Canada/New England Discovery

3 days for Dfish (Zuiderdam Aug 24 to Aug 31) B2B 7d Canada/New England Discovery + (Zuiderdam Aug 31 to Sept 7) 7d Canada/New England Discovery

3 days for Sharon in AZ (Zuiderdam Aug 24 to Aug 31) B2B 7d Canada/New England Discovery + (Zuiderdam Aug 31 to Sept 7) 7d Canada/New England Discovery

4 days for LAFFNVEGAS (Westerdam Aug 25 to Sept 1) 7d Alaska Explorer

4 days for Dobiemom (Westerdam Aug 25 to Sept 1) 7d Alaska Explorer

Cunnorl (Zuiderdam to Aug 24) 35d Voyage of the Vikings, St Pete Cruiser (Zuiderdam to Aug 24) 35d Voyage of the Vikings, RMLincoln (Emerald Princess to Aug 28) 17d Greenland & Canada, Norseh2o (Oceania Marina to Aug 29) 44d Epic Northern Adventure London to London, celebrating 50th anniversary, 0106 (Rotterdam to Aug 31) 14d Best of Norway, TiogaCruiser (Volendam Aug 20 to Aug 31) 11d Newfoundland & New England Discovery and Gail & Marty sailing away (Rotterdam to Oct 27) 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 26

Good morning everyone.  International Day of Remembrance is important, there are still  hostages in Gaza and we live with victims of terrorism in our own country.  I like Spumoni ice cream.  There is a bit of truth in Bellow's quote.  I look forward to photos from our port of the day.  Pass on the pesto salad, pass on the melon cocktail but today's vino should be a good one.  Thanks for researching these for us each day!  

Thanks for the care and celebrations report Vanessa. Prayers for Bonnie, Ann, Tana and Terry, Chuck and Annie,  Jim and Terri, Sandi's DB and healing DS, Vanessa and Jacqui.  Prayers for everyone else who are ailing or grieving that we aren't aware of.  Prayers for those in war zones through no fault of their own.  

Another chilly morning, the forecast was in the 50s overnight.  It is 44 degrees.  It will get to 70 today.  I am sure John will mow the lawn after putting the mower back together and it ran perfectly.  More sanding for me then I will start staining.   We are having our neighbor over for ribs tonight.  Her husband had to go downstate to work.   It is a lonely place up here to be by one self, I have done it for two summers in the past.  Have a good one!   

If the video attaches we are filling that feeder three times a day.  They can fly South any day.  

• Like 28
  • Thanks 7

8 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

Good morning everyone.  International Day of Remembrance is important, there are still  hostages in Gaza and we live with victims of terrorism in our own country.  I like Spumoni ice cream.  There is a bit of truth in Bellow's quote.  I look forward to photos from our port of the day.  Pass on the pesto salad, pass on the melon cocktail but today's vino should be a good one.  Thanks for researching these for us each day!  

Thanks for the care and celebrations report Vanessa. Prayers for Bonnie, Ann, Tana and Terry, Chuck and Annie,  Jim and Terri, Sandi's DB and healing DS, Vanessa and Jacqui.  Prayers for everyone else who are ailing or grieving that we aren't aware of.  Prayers for those in war zones through no fault of their own.  

Another chilly morning, the forecast was in the 50s overnight.  It is 44 degrees.  It will get to 70 today.  I am sure John will mow the lawn after putting the mower back together and it ran perfectly.  More sanding for me then I will start staining.   We are having our neighbor over for ribs tonight.  Her husband had to go downstate to work.   It is a lonely place up here to be by one self, I have done it for two summers in the past.  Have a good one!   

If the video attaches we are filling that feeder three times a day.  They can fly South any day.  

IMG_3096.mov 7.79 MB · 2 downloads  

Nice video.Humming birds?

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Happy Wednesday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

It was in the 40s overnight. 53 when I got up. This is my kind of weather. Doing my happy dance because there re 49 days until my cruise. I get to check in 21 days out which brings me to September 18th. Thats even closer. My plan is to get a COVID and flu shot before I leave. My doctor recommended two weeks before. Taking my vitamins to build up my immune system. 

I have a slower day than the last two. I have to finish a consulting project I am working on. Then start grading assignments for two classes. I am blessed to be able to do what I do and work on my terms. I like the freedom. I also like to keep busy with different things. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Wednesday : it's almost, sorta, kind of, close to, just about, nearly ...

• Like 35

Happy Hump Day. 

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann and Dixie for the FR&D   I like all 3 of today’s days..   Special prayers for Melissa, Chuck, Annie and Tana with  Annie and Chuck at the top of the list..

Prayers for successful surgeries for NextOne and Bonnie.  Bon Voyage TiogaCruiser and Welcome Home Horizon Chaser 1957.

I like the Bellow quote..

I have not been to Sokcho..

Two great days in history, especially the one in 1959.

The meal sounds interesting.  I’ll save my alternative for a few days when it would otherwise be on hiatus.

Perio this morning; what happens after that depends on how I feel.

Roy

• Like 36

Posted (edited)

Thank you for today’s FR&D, Rich! Another lovely morning, though when the breeze dies down, you can feel the humidity. More storms yesterday afternoon & evening kept me inside doing more weeding out stuff & organizing. 

Vanessa, I will be interested in reading whether doing the maneuver/exercise every day helps you. I know I would at least want to try. I might be able to live with the nausea, but the dizziness would scare me - a lot. Praying it helps - permanently. Thank you for doing what you do for us!

Bindi walks, HIIT, chores, another hour of weeding out, and if the weather cooperates - pool time. 

IMG_3307.jpeg.4496f8c9c75043c80d0f3bb620be5118.jpeg

IMG_3311.jpeg.1987dff5252e1859af1f9ad3a7cac5c4.jpeg

IMG_3310.jpeg.39b0d0a27101db2b6b14b00b1572134e.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Tana, how is your feistiness factor today? Terry, hope your weekend rest has helped. Praying that Bonnie and @NextOne’s surgeries went smoothly and recovery is rapid. Praying for Melisa & DH,  Annie & Chuck, Ann & Pat, Tony, Terri & Jim and all the caregivers. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Wapato Point Cellars 2018 Cabernet Franc

This Washington boutique winery’s wine has some amazing accolades. It “swooped in” to a California wine competition and took top honors. It was an interesting read, but too long to post here. A bit too pricey for me, but I would love a taste.  Bit elusive. Online prices start at $78.00.

Distributor notes

This Walla Walla Valley Cabernet Franc is wonderfully silky with lively flavors of blackberry and peppery spice leading to an earthy finish with nicely integrated tannins carrying earthy notes of clay dust. On the nose, it presents aromas of baking spice and black pepper that weave nicely with notes of ripe dark fruit and hints of sweet tobacco and dried herbs.

- Reviewed by Gary Hayes 

AVA: Walla Walla Valley
SavorNW Award: SavorNW Best of Class 2023
Judges Score: 96 Points

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 14
  • Haha 1

Good chilly and sunny morning. It’s currently 52 with a high of 72 expected today. 
I have a haircut appointment this morning. It’s way overdue. 
In some more good news, the drawbridge at the Cape May canal has been repaired 🎉

tThey were able to locate a replacement motor and worked around the clock to replace it. 
I hope everyone has a great day 😎

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

Today we find out what time DSIL's surgery is tomorrow. The rehab center informed us that next Wednesday Sue and I need to pick DSIL up to drive her home and the physical therapist will follow us home.  The purpose is to evaluate our home for what we need to accommodate her first few weeks at home. We then will return her then they will discharge her after another day or two. An amazing show of responsibility.

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 36