The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday August 28th, 2024

Today is National Power Rangers Day, National Thoughtful Day, and National Weed Out Hate Day

Only an artist can interpret the meaning of life. - Novalis

Meal Suggestion for today - Crab Roll
Drink of the Day - Sazerac
Wine of the Day - Trapiche 2020 Iscay Malbec-Cabernet Franc (Mendoza)
Destination of the Day - Castries, Saint Lucia

Today in History:
1609 English explorer Henry Hudson, discovers and explores Delaware Bay
1963 Martin Luther King Jr. delivers his "I have a dream" speech addressing the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom civil rights march at Lincoln Memorial, Washington, D.C.

Ship Locations

Eurodam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Explorer
Sitka, Alaska   0800-1600  

Koningsdam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage
Glacier Bay, Alaska   0700-1600  

Nieuw Amsterdam --- 7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Whittier
Juneau, Alaska   1000-2130  

Nieuw Statendam --- 14 days, round-trip North Cape The Midnight Sun
At Sea Destination Honningsvag, Norway   eta 08-29  

Noordam --- 7 days, one-way from Whittier to Vancouver
Skagway, Alaska   0700-2100  

Oosterdam --- 7 days, one-way from Piraeus-Athens to Civitavecchia-Rome
Kotor, Montenegro   0800-1600  

Rotterdam --- 7 days, round-trip Viking Sagas
Goteborg, Sweden   0800-1700  

Volendam --- 11 days, one-way from Boston to Montreal
At Sea Destination Saguenay, Quebec   eta 08-29  

Westerdam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Explorer
Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm, Alaska
Juneau, Alaska
  0800-0830
1230-2130

Zaandam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage
Vancouver, Canada    0700-1600  

Zuiderdam --- 7 days, one-way from Boston to Quebec City

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island                                                                       0900-1800

image.thumb.png.7969e845a6ac909f3501e5192f90fe09.png

• Like 13
  • Thanks 30

Good morning friends!  The weather this morning is a temp of 68F and clear.  High today will be 94 and sunny. Last night we were privileged to watch 5 deer including a fawn outside our back windows munching on the vegetation on the slope behind us.  I missed them while we were out of town.  Yesterday afternoon I bumped my little toe on an ottoman leg and gosh darn it hurts like heck. I forgot to wrap myself up in bubble wrap!

First I want to thank Rich @richwmn for preparing the Daily and Fleet Report for me while he is absent.  I’m sorry the maps don’t have the ship’s names on them but I still don’t have that skill.  Today we recognize power rangers, being thoughtful and weeding out hate.  I have no feelings towards power rangers but do like thoughtfulness and ridding the world of hate. I think the quote is questionable.  If you like crab rolls, today's your day!  I'll pass on the drink and wine.  Two great days in history especially the I Have a Dream speech. Thank you Eva @superoma, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for your great food and beverage reports.

Prayers for my DB, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, and our men and women in uniform in that dangerous region.  Many prayers for our Care list individuals including Joy’s DS Bonnie, Tana and Terry, Chuck and Annie, Ann and Pat, Melisa and her DH, Nancy’s DB, Jacqui, Elizabeth, Roy, Jane’s DS, Vanessa, Terri and Jim.  My apologies if I’ve forgotten or missed someone.  Praying for improvement for you all!  Congrats to all our cruisers, those preparing to cruise, and everyone celebrating a special occasion in their lives.  Thank you so much Vanessa @JazzyV for your work in keeping the lists updated!

Today’s port is Castries, Saint Lucia.  This was the port of the day before on Oct. 3, 2021 and Oct. 25, 2023.  I’ll post the links for everyone to help retrieve your prior photos.  I have some to share from our visits there too.

Have an excellent day, and try to stay safe and keep well.  Safe travels to all!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 11

Thank you for taking the reins and supplying today's daily reports Sandi @StLouisCruisers.

It is raining here and 60°F.

3 important days.

I will pass on today's food and drink.

We have been to Castries St Lucia on a cruise and walked around the port shopping area.

I hope everyone is safe and well and y'all have a lovely day.

• Like 29

Castries, Saint Lucia

Here is what I posted on Oct. 3, 2021.  On that date @Cruise Suzy had posted they had been there the same day we were there on Rotterdam.

@Cruise SuzyI see you included the Rotterdam on your Feb. 17, 2019 visit to Castries.  We were actually there on the Rotterdam that day and remember the Koningsdam left port just ahead of us and we followed the K. to see Soufriere Bay and the Pitons.  Here you are turning around to leave.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKDqaE05xwA2NZu1pZq3-t5?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1551119847

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKjLarOZZKHCtY-QhDmCUs4?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1551117435

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVISrQ8FtPDMHd04j6-Mrgiq?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1551117456

We hadn't taken a tour that day, just walked about town.  But on my first visit to Castries on the Ruby Princess in 2015 I took a tour of Marigot Bay.  Feb. 4, 201500-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIwm9lOFLBHgFlOW8I6Yq-W?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427212779

Later I posted this:

Checking out a few pics from our 2015 Ruby Princess and 2019 Rotterdam cruises which stopped in Castries.  In 2015 the Ruby was docked on the good side of the harbor, in 2019 and 2022 Rotterdam and Volendam were on the opposite side.  When you step off the ship on the wrong side of the harbor the environment isn't the best.  Here is a photo of the Koningsdam on the best side, where you see the triangle shaped building along the shore.  When you walk to downtown from that side it isn't too bad.  

There is Koningsdam, photo taken from Rotterdam.  See the pyramid?

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

From 2015, a sailboat from Stockholm as seen in Marigot Bay.  Far from home, and a recent port of the day here.

a nice resort at Marigot Bay, named Capella. I just read they've done some renovations recently, but it's still there.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

Want to get to that little beach across from the marina?  Here's how.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 8

@StLouisCruisers  THANK YOU for the reports!  Very seamless and well done!!!

I love the Days to Celebrates!!  And I enjoy painting and drawing and photography, so the quote is also a great one!!

As are the food, beverages and destination!! 

THANK YOU!!

I'll include those on the list needing prayers and those unspoken prayers needs as well!

Hugs for each of us and I pray every Dailyite has a wonderful day!!!

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Today’s Care List:

Haljo1935 passing a kidney stone

Summer Slope’s successful 2nd cataract surgery yesterday

Cruzin Terri returning home from Jacksonville Mayo today

Ottahand7’s DB with a swollen knee post TKR

Hal Sailer diagnosed with Lymphoma

Seasick Sailor’s DS Bonnie needing more surgery next week

Lady Hudson’s DH’s and her friend passing away 8/25

Ger_77’s DH’s classmate passing away 8/25

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness, poor appetite

Cruzin Terri’s DH Jim with memory and anxiety issues

Lazey1’s DS with multiple medical issues, making slow improvement

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome Home RMLincoln!

Cruzin Terri with no need for surgery currently for partial rotator cuff tear

Vict0riann’s DH Pat discharged from the hospital

Kazu accepted an offer on her house

NextOne doing well post hip surgery

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

3 days for Tbay (Volendam Aug 31 to Sept 10) 10 Night Newfoundland & New England Discovery + (Volendam Sept 10 to Sept 21) 11 Night Newfoundland & New England Discovery, celebrating 59th Anniversary

4 days for Lindaler (Westerdam Sept 1 to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan

4 days for Richwmn (Westerdam Sept 1 to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan

4 days for Seasick Sailor (Westerdam Sept 1 to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan – celebrating her birthday and their 33rd wedding anniversary

4 days for USN59-79 (Westerdam Sept 1 to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan

Norseh2o (Oceania Marina to Aug 29) 44d Epic Northern Adventure London to London, celebrating 50th anniversary, 0106 (Rotterdam to Aug 31) 14d Best of Norway, TiogaCruiser (Volendam to Aug 31) 11d Newfoundland & New England Discovery, Lady Hudson (Vision of the Seas to Aug 31) 9d Canada/New England, LAFFNVEGAS (Westerdam to Sept 1) 7d Alaska Explorer, Dobiemom (Westerdam to Sept 1) 7d Alaska Explorer, Crazy For Cats (Zuiderdam to Aug 31) B2B 7d Canada/New England Discovery + (Zuiderdam Aug 31 to Sept 7) 7d Canada/New England Discovery, Dfish (Zuiderdam to Aug 31) B2B 7d Canada/New England Discovery + (Zuiderdam Aug 31 to Sept 7) 7d Canada/New England Discovery, Sharon in AZ (Zuiderdam to Aug 31) B2B 7d Canada/New England Discovery + (Zuiderdam Aug 31 to Sept 7) 7d Canada/New England Discovery and Gail & Marty sailing away (Rotterdam to Oct 27) 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 24

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

@StLouisCruisers  Thanks for filling in for Rich.

Another hot day for us today.  A light rain shower now, I don't think it will last long.

I'm not sure about Power Rangers, but it's important to be thoughtful and we must "weed out" hate. 

I don't agree with the quote, unless we are all artists.

A crab roll might be good.  I'm not sure about the drink or wine.

I've never been to today's port.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List and a few more.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Happy Hump Day.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Good morning Dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report! Thank you Sandi for filling in for Rich! 

It is a warm (77 degrees) and humid (93%) morning here in South Carolina with a forecasted high of upper 90s this afternoon. Yes, it is still summer! 🙂 

I hope everyone here has a wonderful day! 

20231103_060436.jpg

Edited by seagarsmoker
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Sazerac cocktail:

The Sazerac is a local variation of a cognac or whiskey cocktail originally from New Orleans, named for the Sazerac de Forge et Fils brand of cognac brandy that served as its original main ingredient.

Ingredients: 1 1/2 oz Rye whiskey or Cognac,
 1/4 oz Absinthe,
 One sugar cube,
Three dashes Peychaud's Bitters

Preparation:
Rinse a chilled old-fashioned glass with the absinthe, add crushed ice and set it aside. Stir the remaining ingredients over ice and set it aside. Discard the ice and any excess absinthe from the prepared glass, and strain the drink into the glass. Add the Lemon peel for garnish.

Screenshot 2024-08-28 at 6.53.07 AM.png

• Like 13
  • Thanks 20

Good morning from Atlanta. I am just a short distance from the airport, which will be covered by a shuttle in about a half hour. Within 10 hours I will be in Seattle relaxing before the cruise starts.

I hope everyone has a great day.

• Like 42
  • Thanks 2

Good morning all,

We’re making our way to Saguanay and it’s our last sea day. We have fog, but I don’t hear the foghorn- probably because I’m inside the Lido.

Yesterday we were at PEI. We loved it. Our tour didn’t start until noon so we walked the Historic and the Seaview trails. We didn’t have quite enough time for lunch and a tour of Beaconsfield House, so I’m leaving unfinished business here. For lunch we stopped at the Wharf and I got a crab and shrimp roll (😁) and DH got poutine ( so I think we got the right thing this time). 

Our tour went to Prim Point lighthouse and Woods Island Lighthouse, and the Rosignol winery. Loved the lighthouses- we got to climb to the top ( not for the faint hearted) and they had the fresnel lenses rotating ( the second one had its light on).  The winery uses grapes, but also cranberry, blueberry, raspberry and others. We sampled each but weren’t inspired to buy any. (I usually like to bring a bottle home to share with Dad when he comes for Sunday dinner.)

As a special treat ( really I think we had to) we sailed under the Bridge leaving PEI. That’s some structure!

Have a great day everyone!

IMG_5564.thumb.jpeg.2b3ae4b287c25225939d4283deb751db.jpeg

IMG_5579.thumb.jpeg.8c86cffcbb484cc7a03686b172945685.jpeg

IMG_5601.thumb.jpeg.0873c4e87fae090ffc973888469d5966.jpeg

IMG_5607.thumb.jpeg.a4f10d0f38651ad316ba83175a9b01fe.jpeg

IMG_5615.thumb.jpeg.72f8694fcc900c9e2cd05b6494f9dac8.jpeg

Beaconsfield House

IMG_5622.thumb.jpeg.d23d1033cfd67c2cd7eaa34f967391a6.jpeg

IMG_5625.thumb.jpeg.03024a3f0a0854deb99da7da1cb188e8.jpeg

IMG_5629.thumb.jpeg.c69933a3590fd16fd1cf8b35f9d6d586.jpeg

IMG_5632.thumb.jpeg.1d97a2cca3ca7ba7f91d178e4eacaf90.jpeg

Prim Light ( there’s something like 6 of these ladders- only 15 at a time!)

IMG_5657.thumb.jpeg.42f4786b1445b29da2756ccb755e500e.jpeg

IMG_5647.thumb.jpeg.b74df357be02bdcff6695ea2cb6aad6a.jpeg

Woods Island light 

IMG_5676.thumb.jpeg.eac9f56434ac8654ea4f55b13791eeb9.jpeg

Under the bridge!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 9

Happy Wednesday. Thanks for the daily and fleet reports. 

Very hot today, going up to 95. I have a very busy day with three meetings and clients. Looking forward to the weekend as I am tired. Yesterday was pretty busy as well. Oh well. 42 days until the cruise. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

The 14 Perfect Wednesday Memes

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you, Sandi, for filling in for Rich! I appreciate you stepping in as Editor-in-Chief while he takes a well deserved vacation.  

A bit muggy this morning. When Bindi & I headed out at 6:15 a.m., I discovered the recycling had already been collected. This is a first in almost 9 years! I wonder if we are under an extreme heat/weather advisory today & they want to finish early. Some of my neighbors wait until morning to put their recycling out, so they might be a bit surprised. I know I was surprised to find my bins empty!

Vanessa, thank you for taking such great care of “our lists”. Praying that your health gets better every day. 

Bindi walks, chores, HIIT, more weeding out.  I have chosen my retirement community - the one on the Southwest side of Jacksonville. It is so unlike anything I imagined. I am not ready to move there, and hopefully won’t be for a long time - but at least I found the place that fits me. But I started to look at what I would get rid of. So the weeding out continues. 

IMG_3329.jpeg.98a6929c39b0dd80cdbdeb126bda54ff.jpeg

IMG_3332.jpeg.ac973a819be2ab3611ae2cc930b5b147.jpeg

IMG_3334.jpeg.1df3e1dcd09ea6fbf845b2893aff3f14.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Tana & her feisty factor, Terry & an uneventful day, Bonnie,  Annie & Chuck, Melisa & DH, Elizabeth, Pat & Ann, Tony, Jacqui, Terri & Jim, and all the caregivers. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating! Dixie, so happy that all went well yesterday. Rich, enjoy yourself. And BTW, we are not making fun of your amazing skills & hard work. We are making fun of the weird meal trends. I mean carrot dogs?? I hope you smiled at that one, too.

May we each find a reason to smile today - and let it not be at carrot dogs!😎

Trapiche 2020 Iscay Malbec-Cabernet Franc (Mendoza)

This Argentina red blend sounds powerful. Maybe too powerful for me, but I would love a taste. But even if I loved it, it is outside my budget. I found a few distributors with online prices starting at $99.99.

Winemaker Notes

Wonderfully complex aromas of tobacco flowers, violets, blueberries and black olives. Full-bodied, dense and very polished with fine, chewy tannins and a flavorful finish. The tannins are right and solid. 

Ideal to serve with grilled lamb, game and stews. Excellent combination with mushroom dishes and hard cheeses.

• 97James Suckling

A deep and scented nose with plenty of violets to the blackberries and peppercorn spices. Some brambly fruit and dark cherries, too. A very full-bodied delivery of 70% malbec from Gualtallary and 30% cabernet franc from Eugenio Bustos, showing lots of fine-grained tannins and a juicy, bright finish. Tightly wound and really youthful. Drink now or hold.

• 93Wine Enthusiast

This wine has an aromatic nose, with prominent oak spices. The wine’s tannic structure supports plenty of strawberry, blackberry and blueberry flavors accented by nutmeg and cinnamon. Notes of herbs and black fruit mingle in the lasting finish.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 15
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Happy Hump Day.  Thank you Rich, Sandi, Vanessa, Eva, Ann, and Dixie for the FR&D   I like all 3 of today’s days.   Special prayers for Ann, Pat, Terri, Jim,  Melissa, Chuck, Annie and Tana with  Annie and Chuck at the top of the list.

I question today’s quote.

I have .been to Castries 4 times, 2012 on Celebrity Summit, 2013 on MS Prinsendam, 2014 on MS Amsterdam,  and 2018 on Grandeur of the Seas.

Both of today’s days in history are fairly close to me..

Despite Maryland being my home for the last almost 60 years I’ll pass on the meal.  My alternative is a custom lido omelet (my choice is ham and bacon) from my final meal on MS Statendam arriving in Vancouver

No specific commitments today but this afternoon will be the usual combination of UPS, Fire House, and my primary grocery store..  It will be very hot and humid.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 35
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily and maps Sandi.  Let's aspire to weeding out hate, easier said than done. It is easier to the thoughtful so we can strive to do that every day.  No on the quote.   I like my crab warm so will pass on the roll.  Pass on the Sazerac but the Mendoza wine should be good.  We have been to today's port many times but we have always parked in the less inviting part of town.  I had to get cough syrup and found a pharmacy in the area near where we docked.  Not service oriented IMHO, rough sidewalks and overall shaky.  I would call that port as one to take a shorex.  Last times we were there on the Eurodam the first time we had horrible weather leaving the port.  The next time we just sailed straight out with no scenic cruising.  

Thanks for the cares and celebrations reports Vanessa.  I pray you are continuing to improve.  @Cruzin Terri safe travels home today and I am happy no surgery for your rotator cuff.  @Haljo1935 I hope the kidney stone passed without too much pain.  Prayers for Tana and Terry, Chuck and Annie, Bonnie, Melissa, Sandi's DB, @ger_77 and @Lady Hudson sympathy on the passing of your DFs, Jacqui and everyone else who are ailing or grieving.  Praying for all in war zones through no fault of their own, Ukraine, the remaining hostages and the Innocents in Gaza.  

I think we will have sunshine today but it will be windy.  I think I am going to work on cleaning volunteer plants creeping into an area I want to keep open. Then get my hedge trimmer and start cutting back perennials and raking them up. Have a lovely day!  Nancy 

IMG_20240826_094206518_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240826_093940739_HDR.jpg

Y7gsapK1SASGRPGDZy3pYw.jpg

IMG_20240826_094113937_HDR.jpg

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 8

Today's sunrise is from the same trip as the photo from my cousin's farm.  I returned from Montreal August 27-28, spending the night August 27 in Poughkeepsie as the train to New York arrives too late for a reliable connection to Baltimore.  This sunrise is from Poughkeepsie August 28, 2015:

dawn0428.jpg

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 5

Good morning. It is cloudy and warm here and threatening to go up to 90.

We were on our first cruise with my siblings and their wives and my mom. She was quite sick at the time and died only a few months after this trip. Lou and I took her with us on a party boat that was in Sandi’s picture. She loved the little island and insisted on swimming at the tiny beach. It took both of us to get her in and out of the water, in and out of the boat etc. but her joy was contagious! She especially enjoyed the Steel Band on the return to the ship.

i will recognize thoughtful day and always hope that hate can be “weeded out”. I don’t agree with the quote and would love a crab roll. One of my teachers went to the March on Washington and was so informative when she came back to the classroom. It made a huge impression on a nine year old.

@Haljo1935, Elizabeth, I hope the rest of the stones have passed and that you are feeling better. How is the kitty?

@summer slope, Dixie, I was so glad to read your second cataract surgery went well. It must be a relief to have it behind you.

@cat shepard, Ann, we are happy to report increased feistiness here in the form of food demands! I am always happy to make whatever Tana wants and today it is shrimp salad. Fortunately I had nice shrimp in the freezer and the other needed items to make it. The other craving today was for potato leek soup which I will need to go to the store for. I am hungry already!

Have a great day today.

• Like 34
  • Thanks 2

Good morning Dailyites 

72 going to 91 with thunderstorms later here in Georgetown. 

No news on a surgery date for my sis. The surgeon is so booked, but will get her in as soon as possible. 

This morning we are having our flu, new covid, and RSV shots. That should be fun.. Then driving over to Round Rock for lunch before my 2 pm endocrinologist appt. Looks like all of my bloodwork is in the normal range, so I should be good to go. Our luggage is due to arrive in Seattle today. I'll check it later this afternoon. 

Looks like the Zuiderdam Dailyites are having a good time. Pictures please!

Prayers going out to many of our friends here this morning. Thank you so much for thinking of Bonnie. Blessings!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Good sunny and humid morning. Heat advisory is in effect for today. Schools are dismissing early due to lack of air conditioning. I’m planning on staying home.

I have sailed past Castries but never stopped there.

Stay safe and cool.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Quick memories of my 4 visits to Castries.  The first, 2012 on Celebrity Summit, was on my nephew's very family oriented honeymoon cruise, 7 days immediately following their wedding in San Juan.  2013 on MS Prinsendam was on the way to the Amazon out of Manaus.  The Amsterdam in 2014 was not supposed to be but became a replacement when stops in Africa were cancelled due to Ebola.  Grandeur of the Seas was what I dubbed the "Voyage of the Saints" out of Baltimore--St. Croix, St. Johns, Antigua, St. Lucia, St Kitts, and St. Maarten, every port a Saint.

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 4

Good Wednesday Morning Dailyites!  It was 84 degrees last night at 11 when I got off work.did my end of day report and went to bed by 11:30.  It is currently 74 with a heat index for the next two days hovering at 100.  Too warm for me.  Yesterday with the two front windows open for the cats, ? even they got too warm and spread out through the house where the fans were. 

We have appointments this morning with the pulmonologist, so its walk dog,  go to doc, go to pharmacy, get lunch and go to work at 4.  I was going to work two shifts today, but I need to take some stress out of my life, and the best way to do it is to not over work, enjoy the hour or two off.

St Lucia is on my wish list, not for DH, he wants to see England.   Right now the only island in the Caribbean he wants to visit  is Guadalupe because Death in Paradise is filmed there.

Time to fix breakfast!

image.thumb.jpeg.f0bae740892a88484c608d6a0c080ed4.jpeg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4