The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday September 10th, 2024

Today is Swap Ideas Day, (World) Suicide Prevention Day, and National TV Dinner Day

Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant filled with odd little waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don't always like.--Lemony Snicket

Meal Suggestion for today - Gazpacho
Drink of the Day - Purple Haze
Wine of the Day - Terrevive NV Stiolorosso Lambrusco di Sorbara (Emilia)
Destination of the Day - Picton, New Zealand

Today in History:
1846 Elias Howe takes out a US patent for a lockstitch sewing machine

Ship Locations

Eurodam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Explorer
Glacier Bay, Alaska    0700-1600  

Icy Strait Point                                                                            1800-2200

Koningsdam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage

Skagway, Alaska   0700-2000  

Nieuw Amsterdam --- 7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Whittier
Ketchikan, Alaska   0630-1500  

Nieuw Statendam --- 14 days, one-way from Amsterdam to Civitavecchia-Rome
At Sea Destination Bilbao, Spain   eta 09-11  

Noordam --- 7 days, one-way from Whittier to Vancouver
Glacier Bay, Alaska   0830-1830  

Oosterdam --- 11 days, one-way from Piraeus-Athens to Barcelona
Sarande, Albania   1000-1800  

Rotterdam --- 7 days, one-way from Reykjavik to Rotterdam
At Sea Destination Stornoway, Isle of Lewis   eta 09-11  

Volendam --- 11 days, one-way from Boston to Montreal
Boston, Massachusetts   0700-1500  

Westerdam --- 53 days, round-trip Majestic Japan
Dutch Harbor, Alaska   0800-1700  

Zaandam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage
At Sea Destination Vancouver, Canada   eta 09-11  

Zuiderdam --- 7 days, one-way from Boston to Quebec City
Sydney, Nova Scotia   1100-1800  

image.thumb.png.667c27dfa9c2b0344000b188d00e7489.png

image.thumb.png.3b1fc5f51a803d89765f9774e6dbc2b6.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 26

Today’s Care List:

Ottahand7’s DB with a swollen knee post TKR, in the hospital on IV abx, PE

Seasick Sailor’s DSis Bonnie with breast cancer, surgery 9/9

Catmando’s cancer advancing, hoping to try a new drug

Rafinmd (Roy) in the hospital with vertigo, probable rehab after discharge

Heat, Fires and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness, poor appetite

Vict0riann’s DH Pat needing heart valve surgery

NextOne’s DSIL Sandy dx’d with metastatic cancer

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Jodi58’s new grandchild Thomas, born 9/7!

Ger_77’s DH getting a good report at the cardiologist, cruising in February

Aliaschief and family in Hawaii

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

Luvteaching (Eurodam to Sept 14) 7d Alaska Explorer, Tbay (Volendam to Sept 10) 10 Night Newfoundland & New England Discovery + (Volendam Sept 10 to Sept 21) 11 Night Newfoundland & New England Discovery, celebrating 50th Anniversary, Lindaler (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan, Richwmn (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan, Seasick Sailor (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan – celebrating her birthday and their 33rd wedding anniversary, USN59-79 (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan and Gail & Marty sailing away (Rotterdam to Oct 27) 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 23

Good morning and thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisers for providing today's daily reports.

Swapping good ideas is a good thing.

Suicide prevention day is so important and a lot of the time people are crying out for help when they attempt suicide and being able to speak to a trained councillor is so important.

Strange quote.

I will pass on today's food and drink.

Prayers 🙏 for all who are in need.

I hope everyone is safe and y'all have a happy day.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report!

It's cool out this morning at 62 degrees! That being said, the forecast is for a high of 87 later this afternoon. 

I hope everyone here has a great day!

IMG_0261.JPG

• Like 36
  • Thanks 4

Good morning friends!   It’s a clear morning with a temp of 60F.  It will be mostly sunny today and a high of 85.  Still summer but the nights are definitely cooler.

Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily information.   Swapping ideas helps to improve life.  Anything that can be done to prevent suicides is a very good thing.  I don't think I'll be having a TV dinner today.  The quote is thought provoking.  I think I’ll pass on the meal suggestion, drink and wine and y’all can have my share.  The invention and patent of the lockstitch sewing machine was a huge advance in making life easier for our world.  Many thanks to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for their reports today.

Prayers today for our Daily Care list folks with Roy and Chuck at the top of the list.  Also Tana and Terry, Annie, Melanie and her DH, Joy’s DS Bonnie who is undergoing more surgery today, Nancy’s DB Nick, Ann and Pat, Jacqui, Elizabeth, Terry and Jim, Bruno and Vanessa.  Hoping to hear Roy is improving and happy to see him posting again, thatTana is a little stronger and Terry having less pain, fingers crossed Bonnie’s surgery results were outstanding, and Nick is feeling better and the leg healing.  Prayers too for my DB, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, our troops overseas in harm’s way, and for the families affected by the recent school shootings. I've had a health issue crop up and will be undergoing tests ASAP so could use a few prayers myself.  Meanwhile, cheers to all celebrating something, cruising and preparing to cruise. 🎂🥂 Thank you so much Vanessa @JazzyV for your hard work on the Lists.

Annie @marshhawk I read yesterday's Daily posts since last night and am so sorry to hear the bad news on Chuck's cancer.  I am glad the doctor said he would try to apply for the new drugs for him.  That is how my brother got approved for his very expensive drugs for IPF.  I know you are doing everything you can to make life better for Chuck and he is blessed to have you.  Many prayers for the both of you. 🙏

The port of the day is Picton, New Zealand.  This was the port here before on April 26, 2021, Feb. 5, 2022 and Sept. 16, 2023.  I don’t recall ever going to Picton, so thanks in advance to all who share their photos.  Here are the links for you.

Hoping for good health and happiness for you all!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 14

Introducing the "Purple Haze" cocktail - a mesmerizing and visually striking libation that captures the essence of a vibrant and electrifying experience. This cocktail is a thrilling fusion of blue curacao, grenadine, and the zesty tang of citrus, resulting in a captivating taste journey that's as vivid as it is delicious. With its radiant purple hue and layers of vibrant colors that dance in the glass, the Purple Haze cocktail is the perfect choice for those seeking an adventurous and eye-catching journey in mixology. Whether enjoyed as a lively party pleaser or as a dazzling prelude to a night out, this concoction guarantees a taste experience that's as vibrant as a psychedelic dream.
Ingredients:
1 oz. vodka
1/2 oz. lime juice
1/2 oz. grenadine
1 oz. blue curaçao
1 oz. chambord
Directions:
In a shaker with ice cubes pour in the blue curacao liqueur, grenadine syrup, vodka, fresh lime juice, and Chambord.
Shake vigorously for about 10-15 seconds to combine the ingredients.
Strain the cocktail into a chilled martini or rocks glass and garnish with a lemon twist or an orange slice for a citrusy touch(optional).

Screenshot 2024-09-10 at 6.44.05 AM.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 22

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Cool and clear this morning, but it's supposed to warm up to a summery 23°C (73°) this afternoon.

Suicide prevention is so important.  I wish more people had a counsellor to talk to.  Swapping ideas should be encouraged, we should keep an open mind.  I'll pass on a TV dinner.

I like the quote.

I'd like a recipe for gazpacho.  I'd try the drink.  Hope the wine isn't expensive.

Prayers for so many.  I hope there are lots of celebrations.

Have a terrific day.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 3

Happy Tuesday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Another chilly morning. I love this time of year. As a counselor, I work with teens and am assessing for suicide regularly. I am gathering a list of the drink of the days so that I can try many of them on my cruise in 29 days. I have to use that drink package you know. One of the hazards of working at home is that I am easily distracted. As i was grading papers yesterday, I felt that I needed to wash all of the pet bedding, the curtains, and the blankets and furniture covers in the living room. This happens a lot. Maybe I am subconsciously avoiding grading essays. Anyway, time to refocus. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Tuesday Memes - Share When Realizing It's Only Tuesday! Digital Mom ...

• Like 34
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone.  It is 59 degrees here with high 70s due with a real heat wave building for our last several days at the cabin.  Thanks for the daily update Rich and Sandi.   Suicide is hard to prevent especially when people live alone the signs are hard to see.  I used to enjoy TV dinners in my college days, nothing like a bunch salty processed food.  I look forward to photos of today's port.  Not on our future itinerary.  I like gazpacho, we have all the ingredients but no blender.  I think I would try a Purple Haze on a BHB on a Ravens game day.   Some Lambrusco wines are nice not the wine we used to drink in our youth.  Thanks for researching these for us each day ladies.  

Thanks for the cares and celebrations report Vanessa.  I hope that the swelling in your leg is going down as well as the dizziness.  Prayers for Chuck that he can get the new med for his continuing cancer. Roy, prayers that you continue to improve and can get to rehab.  Prayers for Annie, Tana and Terry, Bonnie, Melissa, Terri and Jim, Pat, Jacqui, Sandi's DB and everyone else who are ailing or grieving.   Prayers for all in war zones through no fault of their own, Ukraine, the remaining hostages and the innocents in Gaza.  

When I spoke to my DB he said he was experiencing 10 pain.  I kept it brief.  My younger DS messaged me that last night they drained blood from his knee and he is switched to oral blood thinner.  

We had help from our neighbor across the lake to winch in our rolling dock.  My did we need him.  My back killed me all afternoon.  I am grateful I did some shut down tasks done prior to the dock work.  Our friend really wants to join a cruise with us for a brief segment and since he had to leave we couldn't explain that our upcoming two winter cruises have no short segments.  God willing we will be sailing the Caribbean after two long cruises and can figure a segment cruise where we could meet up with them.  Both he and his wife still work and a lot of their vacation is dedicated to their summer cabin.  If it dries out more garden cut back, it is always good to start that early because one never knows when back pain can intervene.  It is much better today.  I had a Daylily bloom and a hummingbird yesterday.  Have a good one!  Nancy 

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

this is a quick post to let you all know that Ivan and I are alive.  Not sure about well - LOL.

Moved yesterday and it was a very long day and I confess I broke down and cried uncontrollably while the house was being packed up.

Anyways we are here amid the chaos of boxes and Ivan is adapting pretty well.  He was so good for the move - unbelievable.  The guys were enchanted with him.

I am worn and weary and a bit depressed with the mess and my sore legs but have to keep going.  Vascular surgeon appointment today to see what his “plan” is.  I’m nervous to hear it.

Will try to be back when things are a bit more settled.    I hope  Wishing everyone suffering improved heath and good wishes to all.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 47

Thank you for today’s FR&D, Sandi - for Rich!

@rafinmd Roy, loved seeing your post! Hope your road to recovery is fast & smooth!

Yesterday’s downpours started just before noon and kept showing up throughout the afternoon & night. Not sure where all this water is going. Bindi is really not happy. More rain is predicted for today. 

Vanessa praying that the cause of your leg pain is easy to identify & solve. You need a break. Thank you for keeping up with all of us. 

Gym, Bindi walks - weather permitting, chores, and wrapping up the day at the local wine bar. I definitely won’t dare to take the road through the state park after all the rain we’ve had. 

IMG_3400.jpeg.d6fafbbfd3a5d481cd80ec5977c53046.jpeg

IMG_3398.jpeg.b0243b761f9d4ae4f83f6dfd53ae96d1.jpeg

IMG_3395.jpeg.2c91e8ab41adf6719f1487d92a2f5782.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. 

@marshhawk Annie, praying for you and Chuck. I have no words of wisdom, just know you are not alone. Praying for Tana “feisty” to show up, and Terry’s hip to not be too painful & scheduled for permanent fixing - soon. Oh, and bless DB for staying on. 

Prayers for Bonnie, Melisa & DH, Nancy’s DB - Nick, Pat & Ann, Roy, Jacqui, Terri & Jim an all the caregivers.

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today!

Terrevive NV Stiolorosso Lambrusco di Sorbara (Emilia)

I think I would like this sparkling Lambrusco from central Italy. I tend to steer away from Lambruscos, because I find them too sweet, but this could be the one. A bit elusive, but I found a few online distributors with prices starting at $24.00.

96 Wine Enthusiast 

Established in 2008, Terrevive is not just a vine grower but also an integrated farm that creates biodiversity that makes healthier grapes and people. The Stiolorosso has aromas of blackberry, cherry and white pepper. The palate is mouthfilling and supremely structured, balanced between a deep core of black fruits and intriguing savory herbs and spice, finishing with crisp acidity and superfine bubbles

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 11
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, kazu said:

this is a quick post to let you all know that Ivan and I are alive.  Not sure about well - LOL.

Moved yesterday and it was a very long day and I confess I broke down and cried uncontrollably while the house was being packed up.

Anyways we are here amid the chaos of boxes and Ivan is adapting pretty well.  He was so good for the move - unbelievable.  The guys were enchanted with him.

I am worn and weary and a bit depressed with the mess and my sore legs but have to keep going.  Vascular surgeon appointment today to see what his “plan” is.  I’m nervous to hear it.

Will try to be back when things are a bit more settled.    I hope  Wishing everyone suffering improved heath and good wishes to all.

Good to hear from you here on the Daily Jacqui.  You have been so busy, and are totally exhausted, but just remember to take it one day at a time.  When you are tired, lie down to rest.  Ivan will probably join you!  Things will get better.  Sending hugs your way. 🤗

• Like 34

Good morning.  Thanks for our daily report.  Swapping ideas a great idea.  I wish that suicide didn’t exist, we don’t know the despair that drives poor souls to that end.  My favorite tv dinner was beans and franks, I can be strange like that!

The quote has me picturing the restaurant with strange little waiters running around and not fate.  Probably because my dreams were strange last night.  

I love gazpacho so yes to that and no to the drink.  I don’t want to be in a purple haze when we meet our friend Barbara at the Coastal Maine Botanical Garden later.

I have not been to today’s port.

Prayers for those on our prayer list.  You and your DH are in my thoughts today @marshhawk and I pray that you have the strength to do what needs to be done.  It was nice to hear from you yesterday @rafinmd I’m glad you were able to retrieve your communication tools.  Cheers to those who are celebrating happy events!

• Like 29

Good morning.  This is the latest update from Roy.  I hope he can get everything worked out in order to move to rehab.  The new requirement makes sense however, and could save Roy and his friends a lot of worry.

After the neurologist was here he ordered a carotid ultrasound and I have some questions about the results.  There may be a hitch in moving to rehab, they are requiring that I have a commitment for 24 hour home care before they will accept me.  I talked to a couple of the suggested agencies and both require an assessment before agreeing to take me on as a client 

Lenda

• Like 12
  • Thanks 29

Thank you Sandi, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

I have an appointment for cortisone shots to my knees today. Another item to check off on the list before our Transatlantic in October. They do help.

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone!

It is going to be another beautiful day here in mid-Michigan with mostly sunny skies and a high of 80.  I have yoga this morning and nothing else planned for today.  

@kazu Jacqui, thank you for the update and glad you are all moved.  I understand the tears on leaving the old house.  The good part is that you are not under any time frame for unpacking.  Take your time, sit down and rest when you want and it will eventually all get sorted out.  

@rafinmd Roy, I hope we hear more positive news from you today!

@marshhawk Hugs to you and Chuck.  I hope today is a good day for both of you.

I love gazpacho!   I like to make up a big batch of it and eat off that during the summer.  I think I could eat it every day.  Here's our first recipe:  Authentic Gazpacho

gazpacho1.thumb.jpg.3b2f712fd550e1c02898ed198c02aa86.jpg

This one is not truly authentic as it has some heat to it, but some of us might like that.  Gazpacho

gazpacho2.thumb.jpg.fff2b7e6b801efb1d5d03be75e3576e8.jpg

This one has you marinate the vegetables before hand and also doesn't  use bread.  That is important for those who might be gluten intolerant or watching carbs.   Gluten Free Gazpacho

gazpacho3.thumb.png.1f2e33e17df71f77bae1c000035883eb.png

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 17

Good morning from central Texas.  It is another cool morning with a temperature of 55F, which is about 5 or 6 degrees lower than predicted yesterday.  There is a 3 mph breeze from the NNE with 85% humidity and a dew point of 50F.  Our high is supposed to be 89F, and if today is like yesterday, it will be a pleasant day outside.  The main item on the agenda is a trip to Fort Worth to pick up DH's watch and a stop at Costco.  On the way home, we'll add in a quick stop at W-M for the things they were out of last week.

Swapping ideas is always a good idea as you gain a different perspective.  Suicide prevention is good.  I think we are past the tv dinner phase in our lives.

An interesting quote which is pretty true.  However, the visual image will be with me for a while.

We'll pass on the meal and the drink.  I would try the wine if offered.

We have not been to Picton.

Elias Howe's 1846 patent for the lock stitch machine made sewing easier and quicker.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I'm sorry you are dealing with an unexpected medical issue.  I hope you can get the tests quickly, and the issue is resolved quickly.  I also hope it doesn't interfere with your plans to travel to your DGD's wedding this weekend.  Please let me know if you need me to post the links.

@ottahand7  Nancy, I'm sorry your DB is in such pain, and they do not need to drain more blood from his knee.

@kazu  Jacqui, thanks for checking in with us.  We knew you were busy, and are happy the move is behind you.  Yes, leaving a home with so many memories is difficult.  I'm sure you and Ivan will settle into your new home soon.  I hope the vascular surgeon has a plan to relieve your leg and foot pain.

432405874_783641523639017_3567204619340277157_n.jpg.b85c28df43cff4f768fe67c3a9d70b62.jpg

432925249_389774820498300_6193751666047379393_n.jpg.061fd210e85f82511f56da149d89c6eb.jpg

434461190_2408631395993580_1634791691608635582_n.jpg.507ddf7a2be02231328a4583e1752906.jpg

457444919_122173662626188791_6430915552736242216_n.jpg.c7676e4fb6560fffb9fbd9dc84248b42.jpg

433136758_10159351813546431_2410700592307248586_n.jpg.f62b0eef189308a9fd93b8dfe97c16d6.jpg

432743873_849549900523962_3822492731270473580_n.jpg.664d24023841cbcde074920a15039e21.jpg

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 14