Too Many D, D+ and P

Reciprocity, status by familial association, etc. are all to attain new, and retain existing, passengers. Airlines do it as well.

- Imagine if you're a kid who's had the tremendous luck to be born to parents who love to cruise. You attain Diamond+ because of their love of cruising and have bathed in the benefits. Now as soon as you turn 18/21/25 whatever and are out in the cold world, on your own, and would like to enjoy a cruise every once in a while (and eating ramen to afford it, to boot). Do you sail the cruise line where you get to enjoy in all those benefits you're so accustomed, or sail another line where you have to linger with the common folk? Now imagine being the parent of said young, destitute, adult. I for one would want to know my child didn't have to slum it with the plebs. Hence I sail with a line that takes care of my children, and grandchildren, long after MY final disembarkation. Win for Royal, win for kids, win for parents! Keeps everyone in the family.

- Wash/rinse/repeat for every other inheritance scenario. Win for Royal, win for benefits recipient -- hence keeping them loyal to Royal and helping to ensure future business.

- Reciprocity: What incentive does a high-tier passenger on another line have to sail with Royal if they aren't going to get the same benefits as their old line? Just good business sense for Royal and every other line.

Don't like it? What more guaranteed exclusivity than that? Book a Star Class suite or equivalent on the other lines (i.e., always book a top-tier suite).

PS:

My leftovers from dinner last night were delicious as I read through this entertaining thread!

Most likely all of them.

Edit: as a newly married couple if your spouse was not rewarded the same benefits, why would you want to continue sailing with them? Loyalty should go both ways.

Princess and Carnival make you earn your own status. I was Elite on Princess before DH and got some benefits that he didn't. We managed.;)

Princess and Carnival make you earn your own status. I was Elite on Princess before DH and got some benefits that he didn't. We managed.;)

On HAL, you get the embarkation lunch if you've cruised once on any of their lines, but that's all you get.

I'm not sure if because of Easter week, but the Oasis D lounge was empty, at least from 5-6 pm. Maybe grandparents decided to stay with their children & grandkids.

On Enchantment, brought grandson into CL. No worries. No crowds at all

While we are at it, mine as well do what the airlines do, make points based on dollars spent rather than nights, and maybe make you qualify for status yearly. That will solve your problem.... :D:p

Edited by 11madmic

Sour cream.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Now that's just wrong. I was about to give CanadaRob a hard time for choosing ranch over blue cheese (although his option of more hot sauce is acceptable), but you sir (or madam) would not know a good Buffalo wing if it smacked you in the face. If others believe that they can determine how RCI Elite levels should be set, then I am going to declare myself to be the one who defines how you eat Buffalo wings!

To the previous poster who asked about Duff's, there are several in the Buffalo area. The original is on Sheraton Drive in Amherst. I grew up in Williamsville and didn't get downtown to the Anchor Bar much, so Duff's is my favorite.

While we are at it, mine as well do what the airlines do, make points based on dollars spent rather than nights, and maybe make you qualify for status yearly. That will solve your problem.... :D:p

And then the cruise lines can attach wings to their ships and get them up in the air. Imagine all the new ports of call that will become available.

Everyone that earned their status should keep it, however since cruising became more popular over the years throughout all generations they should consider to increase the points needed to gain the status levels to keep the upper tier status in he future to a very small crowd of lets say on a Oasis Class ship max 100 D, D+,P in total per cruise:

PL = 40 points

E = 80 points

D = 160 points

D+ = 350 points

P = 800 points

Also the earning of points earned per night should be adjusted:

Inside = 0.5 points

Ocean view + balcony = 1 point

Junior suites = 1.5 points

Suites = 2 points

everyone that earned their status should keep it, however since cruising became more popular over the years throughout all generations they should consider to increase the points needed to gain the status levels to keep the upper tier status in he future to a very small crowd of lets say on a oasis class ship max 100 d, d+,p in total per cruise:

Pl = 40 points

e = 80 points

d = 160 points

d+ = 350 points

p = 800 points

also the earning of points earned per night should be adjusted:

Inside = 0.5 points

ocean view + balcony = 1 point

junior suites = 1.5 points

suites = 2 points

whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy????????????????

whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy????????????????

The program needs to be adjusted to meet rhe increasing demand for cruising and to cap the number of members in the upper tier levels to not make it a mass product. What's the point of the diamond lounge if it is as crowded or even more so than any other bar/ lounge on the ship.

Many of the currently D+ and P members are aging and will disapear in the next years, however with the current trends in cruising many more will gain these levels in the next years at significant younger ages than most cuurent members. Hence the program needs to be adjusted that the top tiers will become again more exclusive by making it harder to reach these levels

regarding the points; there is not enough differentiation between the cabins hence RCL needs to reward passengers paying more better.

Or maybe, it should be points based on nautical miles traveled. That would make those trans-Atlantics and trans-Pacifics more desirable.

On our last cruise, the Diamond Lounge was not particularly crowded, but the host was such a jerk, we stayed out. He wouldn't say hello in the morning, even if you greeted him. I was amazed! Anyway, I am always just as happy in the Schooner, or somewhere else. I enjoy the drink plan so a free drink means nothing to me. I do like the other perks, early boarding etc. that come with Diamond, but unless the host is much better on our next trip, 90 days BTW, I won't miss the ol' Diamond lounge.

Edited by pgaedke

Everyone that earned their status should keep it, however since cruising became more popular over the years throughout all generations they should consider to increase the points needed to gain the status levels to keep the upper tier status in he future to a very small crowd of lets say on a Oasis Class ship max 100 D, D+,P in total per cruise:

I love this solution of limiting the number of each status level on each cruise but Royal could make it very simple by having a lottery to be recognized for your cruising loyalty.

Royal could have a draw on the 1st evening in the theater and the Captain could pull names to see who gets to be D, D+,P on that cruise.

Of course you would have to be present and all who are sailing with you in your cabin or you forfeit. I guess they would only award your Balcony discount once you are drawn and they could award it as OBC?

Imagine the excitement that would generate!

It would be like winning the Power Ball and I really like the idea of only 100 D, D+,P in total per cruise on a 6000+ passenger ship like Anthem.

On a ship like Majesty of the Sea with a passenger capacity of 2,700 you would only have 40 D, D+,P in total per cruise you would feel very special in a Diamond lounge with just 24 people in it more so in the D+ lounge with say 12 cruisers and a max of 4 P on the ship.

Pop corn is waiting.

I love this solution of limiting the number of each status level on each cruise but Royal could make it very simple by having a lottery to be recognized for your cruising loyalty.

Royal could have a draw on the 1st evening in the theater and the Captain could pull names to see who gets to be D, D+,P on that cruise.

Of course you would have to be present and all who are sailing with you in your cabin or you forfeit. I guess they would only award your Balcony discount once you are drawn and they could award it as OBC?

It would be like winning the Power Ball and I really like the idea of only 100 D, D+,P in total per cruise on a 6000+ passenger ship like Anthem.

On a ship like Majesty of the Sea with a passenger capacity of 2,700 you would only have 40 D, D+,P in total per cruise you would feel very special in a Diamond lounge with just 24 people in it more so in the D+ lounge with say 12 cruisers and a max of 4 P on the ship.

Pop corn is waiting.

If not this is one of the dumbest, most idiotioc posts I've read in years.......:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Pop corn is waiting.

hahahahaha I can picture it now! "Welcome to D/D+/P! You now get to enter a lottery system to determine if/when you get to enjoy your benefits. Please proceed to Windjammer directly after muster where the Captain will 'randomly' select who gets the distinct honor! Thanks for your loyalty and we look forward to welcoming you on your next RCI cruise!"

Pop corn is waiting.

Hilarious. It is nice to see some still have a funny side.

Even with my last cruise havin 280 D and 138 D+ and 21 Pinnacles, the CL was never really crowded! With the drink vouchers and now many D members and up buying drink packages, I think the overcrowding is being addressed on most cruises. I heard a report saying some C&A discounts on drink packages were being offered sporadically. All this tends to spread everyone out. So who cares how many are on a ship?! Maybe one day they will offer flat discounts on drink packages for D members and up....or maybe they will give FIVE drink vouchers per night? It all seems to take care of itself

I take it you are either no where near making one of those status's that some of us have worked hard to climb the ladder to.... or are high enough that it won't affect you. Either way seems like an ignorant post to most.

...for entertainment purposes ONLY, I think it's CLASSIC....well worth the popcorn!

I think RCCL have to many D, D+ and P's, It time this should be revised maybe to the following

180 = D

360 = D+

999 = P

And I think should apply to all members (so if your D+ with 359 points you should be kicked back to D)

They should let everyone keep their status, as it has already been earned.

However, they could limit the number of each status holder per ship, via a quota system.

D = 50 pax

D+ = 25 pax

P = 5 pax

Once the itinerary reaches the above quota, no more of those members are allowed on that specific cruise. If a pax still wants to cruise on that itinerary, they will have to go without their status. However, to be fair, they will still accumulate points on that voyage.

Problem solved. :p