RCCL new Diamond Lounge Policy?

seeyakids

I agree with you if is too crowded don't go.

We haven't seen any problems with the DL

M

Consider yourself lucky. On my last 10 or so cruises out of North American ports over the last couple years (excluding Alaska) CL and DL have been overcrowded to the point of not being able to get a seat many nights. And I always go shortly after the first seating when it tends to thin out. Hardly"urban legend": I've been Diamond over 10 years D+ for about 6 and the overcrowding has become a real issue. Doesn't ruin my cruise by any means but I don't enjoy the DL& CL like I used to. I miss the conversation with fellow cruise lovers, not about the free drinks.

Want and get a two different things. Sure, it is peoples instinct to want more, more, more. Give me give me give me. I sailed with Royal I am now entitled to it.

If it doesn’t add revenue, then it’s not happening. Consider it good while it lasted.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You must be a shareholder in RC or an employee because everyone else wants their benefits that they have earned by being loyal while you seem to only want to see RC making lots of money.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Thanks.

I have supported Sunderland since i was born 61 years ago and we continually get let down,Rodwell on £70,000 a week doesn't want to play for us.

Who is your team bigeck?.

I have been associated with Buchanans of Greenock for 17 years.

I've supported Rangers all my life. A lot of ups and downs.

Football is financially out of control. Puts a few drinks in the Dl in perspective.

Anybody who wants to give me free drinks and brie cheese with a side of walnuts to go with the drink, gets my attention and presence.

I never get tired of being grateful to RCCL for my perks. Princess, especially, sucks by comparison. I'll never forget going up to the canape area one evening during the Platinum/Elite happy hour, and seeing a HUGE pile of raw meat. Some like tartare, but not I.

You must be a shareholder in RC or an employee because everyone else wants their benefits that they have earned by being loyal while you seem to only want to see RC making lots of money.

Yes I am.

I am not the one complaining about SL being added to the ships or crowding in the Lounges. If it’s an issue, we go to another location. Plenty of food on the ship.

You say you don’t really care for alcohol. You should like it if they did away with the FREE booze. I bet it would aide in reducing the crowding.

I've supported Rangers all my life. A lot of ups and downs.

Football is financially out of control. Puts a few drinks in the Dl in perspective.

It certainly does football has totally changed since my uncle was secretary of Sunderland football club 40 years ago.

A good friend of mine lives in Paisley and is a big Rangers fan too.

We like a coffee during the day and a couple of snacks and drinks at night in the DL and rarely stay in the DL more than an hour.

Yes I am.

I am not the one complaining about SL being added to the ships or crowding in the Lounges. If it’s an issue, we go to another location. Plenty of food on the ship.

You say you don’t really care for alcohol. You should like it if they did away with the FREE booze. I bet it would aide in reducing the crowding.

I agree probably 90%+ only go for the free drinks but most have stayed loyal to achieve Diamond status to get DL Access.

The money you pay for some suites on the newer ships you deserve an exclusive lounge.

I always prefer the DL over the CL and as yet overcrowding is not an issue in Europe but for the US it seems like a big problem in the DL thats why the discussion on bigger DL or an acceptable alternative with drink and speciality coffee vouchers but ultimately that is RC decision.

I agree probably 90%+ only go for the free drinks but most have stayed loyal to achieve Diamond status to get DL Access.

The money you pay for some suites on the newer ships you deserve an exclusive lounge.

I always prefer the DL over the CL and as yet overcrowding is not an issue in Europe but for the US it seems like a big problem in the DL thats why the discussion on bigger DL or an acceptable alternative with drink and speciality coffee vouchers but ultimately that is RC decision.

Honestly, we have never had an issue with either of the Lounges being crowded. I guess we just cruise at the low C&A number times.

Off the Anthem Jan. 29th cruise and boy was the D lounge crowded especially the first night. You could not even get a seat in the Music Hall. There were 2 snack tables, one by the kitchen and the other by the bar in the Music Hall.

I noticed that many would simply get a drink and leave by 5:15, and I'm assuming that they took their drink(s) to the dining room. Wonder if they allowed the 3 D drink policy in the dining room would it alleviate the pressure in the DL.

Also, on this cruise, noticed a few kids in the DL and this was rare on past cruises.

On this sailing of serenade, first time since making diamond, there was a line that said any drink not on list would be 20% off. Has any one seen that before?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Here is the letter with the wording from serenade.f8f4ce23c27789fde31fcb8924b34aed.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Honestly, we have never had an issue with either of the Lounges being crowded. I guess we just cruise at the low C&A number times.

Agreed... never once have we ran into a crowded lounge either. The concierge lounge more than the D lounge in some cases.

Off the Anthem Jan. 29th cruise and boy was the D lounge crowded especially the first night. You could not even get a seat in the Music Hall. There were 2 snack tables, one by the kitchen and the other by the bar in the Music Hall.

I noticed that many would simply get a drink and leave by 5:15, and I'm assuming that they took their drink(s) to the dining room. Wonder if they allowed the 3 D drink policy in the dining room would it alleviate the pressure in the DL.

Also, on this cruise, noticed a few kids in the DL and this was rare on past cruises.

IMHO allowing guests to use their vouchers in the MDR makes the crowding in the DL/CL worse. The premise behind the vouchers when they first came out was so guests could use them in other bars during the cocktail hours alleviating some of the crowding in the lounges. If you can use them in the MDR guests will use the CL/DL and then use their vouchers in the dining room, not cutting down on any of the crowding in the lounges

So are drinks and coffees both loaded to your seapass card. Can you only use them when the DL is open. Will be new to diamond. Thanks

The drinks that are available with the vouchers are soda, selected beers and wines, and basic (no frozen/blender) cocktails. No specialty coffee. The vouchers can only be used during the "free" drink period in the DL.

We have never experienced a full DL where we couldn't get a seat either in Europe,Dubai or on enchantment from PC in 2016.

IMHO allowing guests to use their vouchers in the MDR makes the crowding in the DL/CL worse. The premise behind the vouchers when they first came out was so guests could use them in other bars during the cocktail hours alleviating some of the crowding in the lounges. If you can use them in the MDR guests will use the CL/DL and then use their vouchers in the dining room, not cutting down on any of the crowding in the lounges

Very interesting and valid points.

We have been in the Diamond Lounge when it was very busy, but we could still get a seat and service has almost always been excellent. We have felt that it is the one opportunity to really get to know some of the staff and crew. We used to enjoy getting to know our MDR staff and cabin stewards, but I believe their duties have increased to point they no longer have the time to chitchat with passengers.

I sincerely hope Diamond members are not pushed out of the "Diamond" lounge.

Not for us.

Although we're new to being Diamond on Royal (from Celebrity's Elite), my dh likes to have dinner early and have his pre-dinner cocktail in the restaurant, then drinks after dinner. So if we were allowed to have the cocktail in the restaurant, we wouldn't be in the lounge early.

Interesting point; it might work out that way. I suppose it depends upon how much alcohol the D member cares to consume during cocktail hours.

As the DL pours seem to be more generous, I suspect the people who consume the most alcohol always opted for the DL over vouchers...and if one was maximizing alcohol servings, one probably stayed in the DL the entire cocktail hour. if their vouchers can be used in the dining room, maybe those folks will consider going to dinner at some point during the cocktail hour, leaving their space in the DL. Drinks in belly plus drink in hand plus three vouchers ought get them through dinner!

For a light drinker, three vouchers might be more than enough alcohol. For such a person, rather than than hitting to the DL before main dining (pretty early for some people), now they can go to main dining and begin sipping their voucher beverages as they peruse the menu.

Presumably the bean counters are evaluating the effect of vouchers in dining rooms.

IMHO, the reason that the lounges are becoming so crowded is that (with a few exceptions for children) all of the tiers are for life with no need to ever re-qualify. Think what would happen to the United Airlines Mileage Plus program (or any other tiered frequent flyer program) if all Premier members were "Premier for Life". The number of Premier members would become excessive and the airline would eventually have to dilute the Premier perks. This is what is happening to C&A and I think that Royal Caribbean will eventually have to add requirements to the existing tiers that are based on points earned in the most recent year. For example, instead of defining Pinnacle Club as 700 lifetime points, perhaps they could define it as 350 lifetime points, at least 70 of which were earned during the most recent calendar year. Then, they might add a new tier called "Life Pinnacle" for people with over 1,000 lifetime points. There would also be (lesser) re-qualification rules for the Diamond and Diamond Plus tiers. Those re-qualification requirements could be adjusted as needed to prevent the numbers of people in each tier from increasing from year to year at a faster rate than the increase rate for the total number of cruisers.