To AFT or not to AFT

I always hear that Aft Staterooms are noisy and you don't get the best view.

Is this true?

Your opinion counts!

I want to see the stars.....

I want to enjoy a spacious balcony......

I have Champagne tTste and a Budweiser Pocket! Ha, ha......

Is it fun? Is it worth it?

That's true! Ship and which aft cabin can make a big difference. I'm not a huge fan...it's usually a very long walk...and I go back and forth to the cabin frequently...it becomes a pain! (Not far enough to make a calorie difference...but far enough to make you wish you were nearer to the stairs!)

Only had one aft wrap on a Carnival and it was awesome. The wrap balcony could host a party for 20 if you wanted. Only downside on this ship was no overhang so the sun beat down on the windows all day and the AC could hardly keep up. If it had been a cold weather cruise it would have been great.

Never noticed any extra vibration and the view of the wake was awe inspiring.

Never had an aft cabin on a Royal ship, but have had one on another line. We really enjoyed the balcony, but I would not pay for an aft cabin again. We had rough seas one night and one really feels the motion of the ship in an aft. Also, it was a long walk back to the cabin each time so that got to be a negative. We much prefer the middle of the ship.

Depends, as said. On Vision Class I'd always take an aft cabin, especially the 2 corners. HUGE balconies! We've had 10 adults on the balcony easily with room for probably 10 more. In Alaska or the Baltics/ Norway, so well worth the view. As for other classes, not so sure I'd do aft. Freedom class has quite a bit of superstructure back there.

Draw backs, you can get some vibration. It's a long walk everywhere. It can get hot on the balcony as there may be no wind, and it's possible to get some "stack gas" smell and ash (although we never experienced any). So, for me, depends on the ship and somewhat the itinerary. If Vision Class and a scenic itinerary, I'd do aft balcony every time.

Depends, as said. On Vision Class I'd always take an aft cabin, especially the 2 corners. HUGE balconies! We've had 10 adults on the balcony easily with room for probably 10 more. In Alaska or the Baltics/ Norway, so well worth the view. As for other classes, not so sure I'd do aft. Freedom class has quite a bit of superstructure back there.

Draw backs, you can get some vibration. It's a long walk everywhere. It can get hot on the balcony as there may be no wind, and it's possible to get some "stack gas" smell and ash (although we never experienced any). So, for me, depends on the ship and somewhat the itinerary. If Vision Class and a scenic itinerary, I'd do aft balcony every time.

Those corner afts on Radiance class are amazing also...love that #1100 & #9256 :D

Those corner afts on Radiance class are amazing also...love that #1100 & #9256 :D

Agree. Done 200 in 9256/8168 in last 4+yrs and in next 15months doing 100+ nites in Serenade/Jewel in #9256. Also doing APR/May B2B2B including TA on Vision in Corner/Aft... Going to be a good year!

Aft cabins are the worse. On some ships it can be as much as a 1/2 a mile walk to your cabin. The smokestack constantly spits soot all over the balcony. The motion will throw you off the bed in the middle of the night. Noise from the chair scrapers above will drive you mad and what's that crazy noise below (Haven't figured that one out). I've lost many a glass of water to that horrible vibration.

They are soo bad that they are usually the last cabins choosen.

It would be best to leave them to us experienced Afters.....[emoji41]

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Aft cabins are the worse. On some ships it can be as much as a 1/2 a mile walk to your cabin. The smokestack constantly spits soot all over the balcony. The motion will throw you off the bed in the middle of the night. Noise from the chair scrapers above will drive you mad and what's that crazy noise below (Haven't figured that one out). I've lost many a glass of water to that horrible vibration.

Glad you said that Beachammo, I was going to post the same comments. Please do not book the aft balconies.(says the guy with 6 cruises on the books with aft balconies)clear.png?emoji-grin-1677

That's true! Ship and which aft cabin can make a big difference. I'm not a huge fan...it's usually a very long walk...and I go back and forth to the cabin frequently...it becomes a pain! (Not far enough to make a calorie difference...but far enough to make you wish you were nearer to the stairs!)

Agree with the above -- long hallway walks get old and make you wish you were neared the elevators. ;)

LOL Totally agree - please everyone don't book aft cabins so I'll have to get stuck with one :evilsmile:

You do a lot of waking which I do not like, but view is worth it.

Actually, the longer walk is another plus for me - I get extra steps and every one counts! Of course, I also almost never use the elevators - I look for every way I can to burn off all those extra calories from stuffing my face the whole cruise :eek:

They are awful! Don’t book them! There are even ghosts back there. Too far to walk. Soot! The super structure gets in the way of the view. The cons go and on.

Hmm. I wonder why they’re so hard to find to book?

OMG, yes! They are haunted.

Plus there are lots of spiders in them. Lots and lots and lots of spiders.

And dirty air filters.

:D :D :D :D

We're in 8596 on Rhapsody in December. I cannot wait. The wrap-around is everything. I was also able to move my parents to 7152 as a surprise. They have no idea what's in store for them.

Love aft balconies, had a aft grand suite on brilliance two years ago. Will book aft anytime it is available.

Was that 1600? We're doing Alaska in 2020, and assuming Radiance is still there, that's the cabin I plan to book. I've read some people find the layout weird, and the balcony not great, but it's the perfect location for us.

I always hear that Aft Staterooms are noisy and you don't get the best view.

Is this true?

Your opinion counts!

I want to see the stars.....

I want to enjoy a spacious balcony......

I have Champagne tTste and a Budweiser Pocket! Ha, ha......

Is it fun? Is it worth it?

Don't count on seeing too many stars on a cruise ship, they are lit up like Christmas trees. That said, we enjoyed our corner aft on Jewel, great balcony.