Most entertaining Safety Drill ever

Phxazzcruisers

Aboard Equinox and just went to the Emergency Drill.... It was most entertaining and different. It was a movie, a detective story which incorporated all of the important safety information. I have never been so entertained during one of these drills. Very informative and a lot of fun!!

That's been shown for a couple years now. On board Reflection last November/December our muster station was the MDR. Half the people seated at tables had their backs to the screen, and half couldn't see it because the sun glare on the screen from the windows washed out the picture. I don't enjoy the muster drills on cruises, but they are supposed to impart important information in case of emergency. I guess that's why they make chocolate and vanilla. You found it entertaining and delightful and I thought the important information was lost in the "cutesy."

Edited by Luvcrusn

Thant's been shown for a couple years now. On board Reflection last November/December our muster station was the MDR. Half the people seated at tables had their backs to the screen, and half couldn't see it because the sun glare on the screen from the windows washed out the picture. I don't enjoy the muster drills on cruises, but they are supposed to impart important information in case of emergency. I guess that's why they make chocolate and vanilla. You found it entertaining and delightful and I thought the important information was lost in the "cutesy."

I'm with you, it was cute for about 20 seconds, then got old very fast.

We saw for the first time a few weeks ago on the Equinox and our reaction was that first time cruisers we not getting the essential information that should know in case of an additional emergency.

This was our 4th X cruise the year, but the first time to see this video. On the plus side there were more screens to see the video and for the most part people weren’t talking throughout the drill.

I think it downplays the information people really need....its cute until something happens where people have to actually do something..and then its not cute.

There are real reasons for the safety drills....they are to give information, not to amuse.

Sent from my XT1575 using Forums mobile app

I have now seen it on three cruises. My take away is that if you didn’t know what the purpose of the safety drill is before seeing that movie, you wouldn’t know any more after. I have been going to Muster drills since 1994 and find this useless. I comment on this on every end of cruise survey.

I just got off a RCCL cruise. Normal old fashioned muster drill. Lasted about 15 minutes. It was very clear what you should and shouldn’t do, that your children would be brought to your muster station, etc. No pointless video and a crew member was going around politely telling chatting passengers to please be quiet and to pay attention.

I do think the wash your hands cartoon is clever and effective.

Not sure showing up and standing there for the duration of the 'head count' on outside decks next to boats provided any transferred safety education. Nor did putting on the orange box life vests IMHO.

I have been in a chaotic situation and it was that... chaotic with some great people stepping up as in most emergencies helping those confuse and disoriented.

We can only hope that they did do some testing to see if the key lessons were learned/transferrred. Only time will tell and I hope not for a long, long time.

On Equinox last May we had our muster drill in the MDR. Chairs were all turned to face the screen and we had the movie. May have been somewhat hokey but the movie/crew information contained, in my opinion, the important points such as the emergency signal is 7 short blasts followed by 1 long, where your life jackets are and how to work them, report to where you are now as your muster station, etc. were pretty clear. Much preferred to our prior experiences on Summit where it was standing room only and many people talked very loudly throughout the entire thing despite repeated requests from crew and fellow passengers to please stop talking. Literally got no information from those and we were new cruisers at the time and could have used the info!

Just out of curiosity, did you have the drink package?
Seriously? Honestly, what was the point of this comment? Edited by SeasideMemories
spacing

Please lets go back to the old video. This new video is worst and the old one. Dont get me wrong I think the video is very important. Just not my type of humor. I want to say I have seen it 3 times now. The video does not get any better with time.

Aboard Equinox and just went to the Emergency Drill.... It was most entertaining and different. It was a movie, a detective story which incorporated all of the important safety information. I have never been so entertained during one of these drills. Very informative and a lot of fun!!

Good idea ,conventional muster drills are quite boring.

We found it awful on many levels...,sophmoric and insulting!

Also bad was the wash your hands jingle...at pre school level!

X should give out the necessary and crucial safety info...and skip the cutes! ( including le petit chef)

I could use for a bit more lighthearted drilling...though, assuredly, it is not intended to entertain. What I found most annoying the last time I went through one of these (not with X) is how people simply ignore the rules - being told to keep off cell phones, not talking among each other, etc. Some people just do whatever they want. A microcosm of our society I suppose. It really got to our muster station attendant, who was getting truly annoyed with a few people. The guy was TOUGH..like a drill sergeant. Glad when it was over. Then there are always those few who are in no hurry to get there...and so holds up a few hundred other people.

Good idea ,conventional muster drills are quite boring.

I can see both sides of this....I mean....it's a DRILL...intended to convey the necessary information. The entertainment starts once the cruise gets underway. I'll bet 90% of the people at any drill are not truly paying much attention, being of the mind that 'nothing bad will happen'. That being said, I agree that it can indeed get "boring", long, and hot. I do think it's probably best to have everyone report out on the deck at a muster station rather than in a large inside venue. Again, to be honest, if that emergency horn ever DOES sound during a cruise, it'll be the crew's job to try and prevent at least some measure of mass hysteria. Probably the same sort of attentiveness exists during most airline pre-flight safety presentations by the attendants - though I had one guy who was absolutely hysterical - it got your attention probably more than the status quo, deadpan approach. So....who knows...maybe the more entertaining video idea is not that bad...a bit of song and dance routine by the muster station people might do well also.

Out of interest, does it extend the length of the muster drill by a second or more cw the old drill? if so, bad idea. I’m on holiday I don’t want to be sitting watching corporate videos for any longer than I have to.

I like my safety information without Padding. It doesn’t have to be sexy, fun, or thrilling - just informative and memorable & memorable in the right way - I.e I know what I’m supposed to do rather than the audience found it entertaining.

I’m sure the next iteration will include something about speciality dining, future cruises and tanzanite.

I can see both sides of this....I mean....it's a DRILL...intended to convey the necessary information. The entertainment starts once the cruise gets underway. I'll bet 90% of the people at any drill are not truly paying much attention, being of the mind that 'nothing bad will happen'. That being said, I agree that it can indeed get "boring", long, and hot. I do think it's probably best to have everyone report out on the deck at a muster station rather than in a large inside venue. Again, to be honest, if that emergency horn ever DOES sound during a cruise, it'll be the crew's job to try and prevent at least some measure of mass hysteria. Probably the same sort of attentiveness exists during most airline pre-flight safety presentations by the attendants - though I had one guy who was absolutely hysterical - it got your attention probably more than the status quo, deadpan approach. So....who knows...maybe the more entertaining video idea is not that bad...a bit of song and dance routine by the muster station people might do well also.

On a lot of modern ships, all of the passengers won’t all fit on the deck at the same time. In a real evacuation, they would have to be brought out in groups. And mostly they want to get the idea across that we need to follow directions from the crew in an emergency, not blindly go to the outdoor lifeboat station, intent on boarding a lifeboat when that may not be the most appropriate action.

I think it downplays the information people really need....its cute until something happens where people have to actually do something..and then its not cute.

There are real reasons for the safety drills....they are to give information, not to amuse.

Sent from my XT1575 using Forums mobile app

I agree....especially for 1st time cruisers.....while the drills are not fun, they aren't supposed to be and while one hopes to NEVER need the info provided it is important to know WHAT to do if you need it...this downplayed the importance of the information, makes it all seem like fun....trivializing the importance of the information being provided.

I agree....especially for 1st time cruisers.....while the drills are not fun, they aren't supposed to be and while one hopes to NEVER need the info provided it is important to know WHAT to do if you need it...this downplayed the importance of the information, makes it all seem like fun....trivializing the importance of the information being provided.

I agree 100%. I much prefer the "Dragnet" approach. "Just the facts ma'am "

Note: on airplanes since years they try to make safety video enjoyable (and watched). It is also recommended by IATA. They noticed that few people take attention, but it is also a requirement that they cannot make mandatory to watch such video. I think there is much more experience and studies on aviation. Cruise lines are just try to finally keep the pace. [Remember that until Costa Concordia, it was just mandatory to have the drill on the first days, not just before sailing].

But also in aviation, there are many awful video. I never see this, but it is so bad, I expect they will change, until they find a good compromise.

About the place of meeting points: this is often a problem, I think nobody found a good planing: they should be near the boats and safety equipment, fire go up, and it is stupid to run up to the meeting point to then go down to the lifeboats. But so, all ships should be in one, two or three bridges. So ... always bad place, but for the lucky one on theater. [but I hope that in 10 years, someone will find a genial idea, and so all cruise lines will copy and improve safety drill, we had few improvement on last 40 years]

One slight issue with safety drills for both planes and ships is that following safety drills in an emergency is not always in an individual's best interest.

I recall the Manchester aircrash in 1986 and Zeebrugge ferry disaster in 1987 when investigators concluded that several passengers had taken survival into there own hands (climbing of seats, racing up stairs instead of queuing and climbing in an orderly fashion and that in these particular cases it had dramatically increased their chances of survival. In the case of Costa Concordia as the ship listed many of the lifeboats were in operable - waiting at your muster point for lifeboats on one side of the ship was a waste of time.

I disagree because many people do not pay attention, others are sleeping. etc. funny it's not equal to safety

In the video you were never shown how to put on your life jacket, how to use the whistle, etc.