Edge Overpriced???

Mr&MrsBee

51 minutes ago, hcat said:

We received the REGENT catalogue today....talk about high prices,

Everything is relative,,,,

They are but when you start breaking it down, they do include a lot. Especially some of the excursions in locations like Petra or Valley of the Kings.  Don’t get me wrong, still bloody expensive, but if you use what’s included, it’s not such sticker shock compared to other luxury lines or even suites on Celebrity. 

We booked the Edge the day it went on sale for 1600.00 USD pp for E4 Infinity Balcony.  We have drink packages, PPD grat and $450.00 OBC.   I’m thrilled we got such a great deal as price has more than doubled.   I don’t begrudge Celebritiy if they get higher prices.  Their goal is to book for the highest $$ the market will bear and I’m sure they want to pay off their billion dollar investment sooner than later.   I’m just hoping it lives up to its expectations.  I would be more upset if I paid the high pricing and got sub par service or experience.  For now I’m looking forward to a new ship and new experience, plus this is our first cruise since reaching Elite.   

• Like 1

Of course they overprized the first voyages of Edge- who wouldn´t have done so - if the customers pay. X has to get the harvest in as long as the weather is nice, so to speak!

Let the first hype die down and they will make the prices a bit mor reasonable!

Sometimes it is not about " can I afford it - or WANT I afford it!

Happy Cruiser- I almost fainted too, almost - I cought myself in time- one makes such an unpleasant sight laying there mouth wide open....and not always is a nice person at hand with the smelling salts.

Edited by Germancruiser

12 hours ago, hcat said:

We received the REGENT catalogue today....talk about high prices,

Everything is relative,,,,

Yes, I received it as well. Even after adding in all of the ala carte items on X to compare to Regent, still quite a bit higher for category I have only booked on X, verandah.

bon voyage

7 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

Of course they overprized the first voyages of Edge- who wouldn´t have done so - if the customers pay. X has to get the harvest in as long as the weather is nice, so to speak!

Let the first hype die down and they will make the prices a bit mor reasonable!

Sometimes it is not about " can I afford it - or WANT I afford it!

Happy Cruiser- I almost fainted too, almost - I cought myself in time- one makes such an unpleasant sight laying there mouth wide open....and not always is a nice person at hand with the smelling salts.

g - I would have them at the ready for you...

;-)

bon voyage

9 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

I agree with the bow- totaly unbalanced look. The ships interiour as such looks stunning- but that ugly bow.... - those designers must have forgotten to take their pills as the doctors prescribed them..!

I understand that this new bow is the way most future ships will be constructed as it supposedly is much more aerodynamic.  There are other ships either being built or already sailing with the same look.

15 minutes ago, blueboro said:

I understand that this new bow is the way most future ships will be constructed as it supposedly is much more aerodynamic.  There are other ships either being built or already sailing with the same look.

Some of us think the bow is very appealing.  Most don't care one way or another as long as inside the ship is nice!  

• Like 1

Yup, as mentioned by Bo1953, many of us booked Edge early on at OK prices. And booking an unknown commodity has been stated more than a few times. I don’t see it as ‘unknown’ since I’ve cruised Celebrity a few times and know what to expect overall. I find trying something new or different part of the enjoyment. And I don’t need reviews by people who I have no idea if our interests are even close. By the way, I do read some reviews. 

And some of these ‘quoted’ price comparisons seem to be a bit overdone. One showed an S-class at $1000 or so and Edge at $10,000+??

Since I’m interested in a TA,  looked at comparible TA’s in Oct 2019 and the Edge prices look about double: S-class ships’ Veranda at $1800 and $2200 and Edge at $4400. I tried to check Apr 2019 TA, but Edge is sold out except Aqua and Suites and they are ~3x the cost - other TA’s aren’t nearly sold out....yet. 

Personally, I went with Silhouette - love the ports: Boston-NYC (overnight!)-Bermuda (overnight!!!)-Naussau (yeah, okish) FLL. And very nice price. 

Each to or own.

Den 

• Like 1

I think that the word "overpriced" is causing a problem here. We looked at the Edge prices on day one and decided that the price for a 7 day Caribbean cruise on Edge was similar to the price on other X ships for 12-14 day cruises in the same cabin category. The question to be answered at that time for us (and still is)  was did we want to pay a premium for a new experience? Since we've been happy with the cruises we've taken on X, we opted for waiting and will probably continue to do so before booking on Edge, Apex or their sister ships to come. We don't look at those who made the opposite choice as having overpaid. They wanted a new experience on a new ship and made the choice to spend their money differently that we did. I didn't work for their money and have no right to tell them how to spend it. To each their own.

• Like 3

Interesting post by Blue Ribbon Cruiser. Agree with the ‘overpriced’ term being a problem. It’s probably not overpriced, just more than what a person wants to pay for that item. What’s overpriced is if most sellers have a set price for a specific item and another has the Same item double the price, then that could be called ‘overpriced’. But there isn’t any other ‘item’ the same as Edge yet. After Apex is launched and the price of an Infinite SR is $5,000 and the price on the Edge for the same SR, same cruise itinerary, is $2000 then the Apex is overpriced. 

As I stated earlier, I did jump on an Edge Caribbean cruise early on, then looked at a TA in Fall 2019, but chose Silhouette because of the itinerary.....and the pricing, not because the Edge is ‘overpriced’. 

And appreciate the suggestion of going on the MSC Yacht Club, but I don’t want to have to hold my breathe walking through the numerous smoking areas that Line has, and being a European-focused Line (which would be fun), it will have Lots of smokers. And lots of US smokers since the Line does greatly accommodate smoking according to more than a few Cruise Line reviews and comparisons by Travel Professionals. 

Den

Edited by Denny01

14 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

I agree with the bow- totally unbalanced look. The ships interior as such looks stunning- but that ugly bow.... - those designers must have forgotten to take their pills as the doctors prescribed them..!

What's old is new... a very nice retro look.

The unbalanced look is found on the stern..

uss-arizona-bb39-battleship.jpg.3561a0ce6e48765f46e35595ca205bde.jpg

220px-Olympias.1.JPG

The folks like me who have booked this ship at high prices for a Caribbean cruise have done no one any favors. It's going to take another new ship or two and some time to get the prices down for a 7 day cruise itinerary that nearly any seasoned cruiser has already been on. 

On 11/7/2018 at 12:45 PM, F27TW said:

I'm still just shocked at how hideous the bow of this ship is ... why would they have designed it  to look like a barge or car ferry?     And that silly orange contraption hanging off the side .. what a mess.

After the Norwegian Epic (or maybe right along with it)  this the most hideous ship afloat ...

I pretty much agree with you, but I still think the Epic wins this contest hands down.  😀

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Interesting post by Blue Ribbon Cruiser. Agree with the ‘overpriced’ term being a problem. It’s probably not overpriced, just more than what a person wants to pay for that item. What’s overpriced is if most sellers have a set price for a specific item and another has the Same item double the price, then that could be called ‘overpriced’. But there isn’t any other ‘item’ the same as Edge yet. After Apex is launched and the price of an Infinite SR is $5,000 and the price on the Edge for the same SR, same cruise itinerary, is $2000 then the Apex is overpriced. 

As I stated earlier, I did jump on an Edge Caribbean cruise early on, then looked at a TA in Fall 2019, but chose Silhouette because of the itinerary.....and the pricing, not because the Edge is ‘overpriced’. 

And appreciate the suggestion of going on the MSC Yacht Club, but I don’t want to have to hold my breathe walking through the numerous smoking areas that Line has, and being a European-focused Line (which would be fun), it will have Lots of smokers. And lots of US smokers since the Line does greatly accommodate smoking according to more than a few Cruise Line reviews and comparisons by Travel Professionals. 

Den

Denny, there are only two smoking areas in the Yacht Club.  One is a small area on the pool deck and one is outside the main lounge on deck 16.  I was in both of them and did not notice the smoke at all.  By contrast, the Celebrity pool deck smoking area makes me want to vomit.  In my one brief excursion out to the rest of the ship, I did not notice any smoking areas except for one by the rear pool.  That didn't have the same stench as the Celebrity pool smoking area either.  But I wasn't looking for them either.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2018 at 6:44 AM, Mr&MrsBee said:

I have a 9 day cruise in Dec 2019  for the ABC islands on the Silhoutte booked for$4600.  Out of curiosity I looked at the

same itinerary  on the Edge for Nov 2019 and found the price to be $9004.  Same type of cabin CC and GO BEST on both.

The question is what do I get for the extra $4000?  Any answers?  Thank you.

Of course it is overpriced in a normal market.  But since this is a new concept ship, there is value to a lot of people who want to sail on her as early as they can.

3 minutes ago, ronbe65 said:

Hi Denny01,

I think the Edge is overpriced and this is a correct term.

I review cruise ships, not passengers. So I will never say that someone "pays too much" for a cruise - this is a personal choice as to when/where/how much to pay.

We have enough information to know what the Edge is.

The ship is neither unique, nor revolutionary. But this is a brand new ship.

Many people want to be among the first to sail on a new ship, so the prices for the inaugural season are inflated (think of crazy "inaugural" prices for NCL Bliss, RCI Anthem of the Seas, etc.)

We know what we pay for the comparable or better products, so it's pretty obvious that the ship is overpriced.... for a single reason: a new ship.

This ship via its pricing is setting the bar for sailings on other lines. New or not, that these prices can be achieved for an otherwise humdrum itinerary in a suite is putting NCL Haven pricing on their existing ships into a dither. For very ordinary cruise.

2 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Denny, there are only two smoking areas in the Yacht Club.  One is a small area on the pool deck and one is outside the main lounge on deck 16.  I was in both of them and did not notice the smoke at all.  By contrast, the Celebrity pool deck smoking area makes me want to vomit.  In my one brief excursion out to the rest of the ship, I did not notice any smoking areas except for one by the rear pool.  That didn't have the same stench as the Celebrity pool smoking area either.  But I wasn't looking for them either.

You are comparing the MSC suites only area to the Celebrity general pool area.  Edge will have a separate Retreat pool area.  Also, IIRC the MSC ships that homeport in Florida have strict smoking policies while those in the Med are much more lenient.

1 hour ago, ronbe65 said:

Hi Denny01,

I think the Edge is overpriced and this is a correct term.

I review cruise ships, not passengers. So I will never say that someone "pays too much" for a cruise - this is a personal choice as to when/where/how much to pay.

We have enough information to know what the Edge is.

The ship is neither unique, nor revolutionary. But this is a brand new ship.

Many people want to be among the first to sail on a new ship, so the prices for the inaugural season are inflated (think of crazy "inaugural" prices for NCL Bliss, RCI Anthem of the Seas, etc.)

We know what we pay for the comparable or better products, so it's pretty obvious that the ship is overpriced.... for a single reason: a new ship.

I would rephrase this:  It's pretty obvious that the ship is correctly priced.... for a single reason : a new ship.

9 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

I think that the word "overpriced" is causing a problem here. We looked at the Edge prices on day one and decided that the price for a 7 day Caribbean cruise on Edge was similar to the price on other X ships for 12-14 day cruises in the same cabin category. The question to be answered at that time for us (and still is)  was did we want to pay a premium for a new experience? Since we've been happy with the cruises we've taken on X, we opted for waiting and will probably continue to do so before booking on Edge, Apex or their sister ships to come. We don't look at those who made the opposite choice as having overpaid. They wanted a new experience on a new ship and made the choice to spend their money differently that we did. I didn't work for their money and have no right to tell them how to spend it. To each their own.

Nicely phrased :)    Just because something costs more than I'm willing to pay doesn't make it a bad purchase for others.   Do I want to sail on an Edge class ship?  Yes, I do, but I"m going to have to be patient & wait until it comes down to the price I'm comfortable paying.  I'm hoping after Apex is released the TA prices for Edge will come down enough for me to feel good about the outlay of $$    I like nice things but I'm also very cautious with spending money.    

When the M class ships came out, we sailed on Infinity when she washout a year old, same with Solstice, waited about a year, & the prices came down to what we were comfortable with. 

I'm still excited for those who will get to experience all the new bells & whistles firsthand, & I'm very much looking forward to the first reviews & photos when everyone comes back from the first few cruises.  

• Like 1