Shocking 60% of guests removed gratuities on NV Transatlantic

38 minutes ago, springfire said:

So for people who do my time dining, this would only apply to the cabin steward?

I don't know about dining staff, the policy was explained to me in the context of a stateroom attendant.

8 hours ago, little britain said:

Well if 30% were not physically on board the ship because they had cancelled, and 30% of those who remained cancelled because they were upset with the itinerary changes, I can actually believe this. 

If 30% were not onboard, they could not REMOVE their gratuity. If they never boarded, then the staff would not be getting a gratuity from them in the first place. 

Also, there is no way that I believe even 30% that were on board removed the gratuity. I don't know what it is about cruise passengers, but so many are so gullible. 

Edited by Mikew0805

16 minutes ago, Mikew0805 said:

If 30% were not onboard, they could not REMOVE their gratuity. If they never boarded, then the staff would not be getting a gratuity from them in the first place. 

Also, there is no way that I believe even 30% that were on board removed the gratuity. I don't know what it is about cruise passengers, but so many are so gullible. 

The OP used the word 'removed'..... I am assuming that the staff members said something like they were 60% down on gratuities - which is not the same as 60% removed gratuities... but the end result is the same.

As for 30% removing them on board - you obviously have not travelled with my fellow countrymen, many of whom, unfortunately, are well known to do this.  Now whether it is lack of understanding of how the game works or whether it is they cannot afford to pay the tip (but can afford to buy the drinks package..but that is a different argument:classic_sad:), or whether it was pure frustration at itinerary changes, I would not like to say. 

Many other sites are full of Brits advising new comers to "just remove the tips..."  or "why should I subsidise their wages" or even worse "no one pays me a tip for doing my daily job so why should I"....

The sooner the tips are built into the UK fare price, like Australia, the better IMHO.

Edited by little britain

1 minute ago, little britain said:

The OP used the word 'removed'..... I am assuming that the staff members said something like they were 60% down on gratuities - which is not the same as 60% removed gratuities... but the end result is the same.

As for 30% removing them on board - you obviously have not travelled with my fellow countrymen who unfortunately are well known to do this.  Now whether it is lack of understanding of how the game works or whether it is they cannot afford to pay the tip (but can afford to buy the drinks package..but that is a different argument:classic_sad:), or whether it was pure frustration at itinerary changes, I would not like to say.  Many other sites are full of Brits advising new comers to "just remove the tips..." 

Well true. In my rationale I did not consider that many were Brits, and yeah I am sure that Brits are more inclined to remove the tips. Having said that... I still think cruisers, or maybe it is just cruisers on these boards, are very gullible as to what they believe the crew makes, etc. Which by the way, I feel is none of mine, or any other customers business. 

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity, is the production staff and entertainers included in the 18% gratuity?

I only ask since they seem to be the source of this information. Or did they hear it from a friend of a friend that knew a guy....

12 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Just out of curiosity, is the production staff and entertainers included in the 18% gratuity? ...

Have never heard of the entertainment staff being included in the gratuity pool.

On 11/27/2018 at 8:11 PM, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Let's face it - at this point in time gratuities are totally optional at RCI.... they can be removed anytime... no questions asked! 👍

If you do not like that - you should choose another cruise line or stop cruising at all! 😁

On 11/27/2018 at 8:16 PM, GUT2407 said:

This....

On 11/27/2018 at 8:40 PM, springfire said:

Well said!

Yes, and we can all think anyone who does so is being cheap unless they have received poor service from the staff....

2 hours ago, little britain said:

As for 30% removing them on board - you obviously have not travelled with my fellow countrymen, many of whom, unfortunately, are well known to do this.  Now whether it is lack of understanding of how the game works or whether it is they cannot afford to pay the tip (but can afford to buy the drinks package..but that is a different argument:classic_sad:), or whether it was pure frustration at itinerary changes, I would not like to say. 

Many other sites are full of Brits advising new comers to "just remove the tips..."  or "why should I subsidise their wages" or even worse "no one pays me a tip for doing my daily job so why should I"....

The sooner the tips are built into the UK fare price, like Australia, the better IMHO.

P&O are including tips in the Fare from May 2019 probably because the majority of British passengers remove their gratuities.

There are lots of us Brits who tip on top of autogratuities but also a lot more who tip little or nothing.

2 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

Well true. In my rationale I did not consider that many were Brits, and yeah I am sure that Brits are more inclined to remove the tips. Having said that... I still think cruisers, or maybe it is just cruisers on these boards, are very gullible as to what they believe the crew makes, etc. Which by the way, I feel is none of mine, or any other customers business. 

I agree,for me if someone does something for us I will give them something in return to show my gratitude, usually cash tips.

3 hours ago, little britain said:

Totally agree with this. Yes the tips should be built into the fare, as a service charge, so this removal cannot be done and shouldn't be regarded as the norm by UK cruisers.

And on the point LB makes in the first sentence I cringe at the cheapness of many of my fellow countrymen. I recently returned from an MSC cruise where the gratuities are added each day onto the account. A fellow 'countrywoman' was stating (boasting?) loudly at the bar one night that the first thing she did onboard was to remove her gratuities. Apparently she'd worked out that the 10 euros a night meant that her steward was earning thousands of dollars a week. Totally unaware of where the whole tipping pool goes - whether ill-informed or just stupid I really can't say  (although I have my own opinion!)

• Like 3

On 11/27/2018 at 5:20 PM, Magnetchief said:

As a Brit I can understand this. 

Most Brits do not tip in their own country, if so a very small amount.

I have British friends that cruise frequently this subject always comes up.

Invariably they remove the pre-paid gratuities. Prefering to pay as they see fit. 

It's a cultual thing. You won't change them.

Myself, I have become way too Amerian and follow the typical US tipping norm.

Being a Scot I always tip waiters, hairdresser etc at least 10% which is normal in Scotland. I have English friends who will only tip £1-2 no matter what the meal cost. 

Yes i I will cancel tips but only if the service is awful which means my stateroom attendants wins a watch as they get all the money in cash instead.

maybe we’re not as gullible to think we HAVE to pay for service even if it’s bad. I don’t mind paying for good service but will not pay for poor/bad service or food. 

8 hours ago, MNfamilycruiser said:

Yes, and we can all think anyone who does so is being cheap unless they have received poor service from the staff....

Yes, just like you "can" also push to the front of the line, not say "please" or "thank you" to anyone, and lots of other things, it doesn't mean you should.

But you'll always get those who proclaim their individual right to do whatever they want as long as there's not a law against it as though it makes them a hero. (And then conversely if anyone is to suggest making a law then there's something wrong with them, "nanny state" and all sorts of other accusations - like running a "scam" in another thread...

12 hours ago, little britain said:

The OP used the word 'removed'..... I provideding that the staff members said something like they were 60% down on gratuities - which is not the same as 60% removed gratuities... but the end result is the same.

Yes, I used the word 'removed' because that was the information that was provided for the crew's information.

12 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Just out of curiosity, is the production staff and entertainers included in the 18% gratuity?

No. Technical production (lighting/sound/stage) the Orchestra, Theater Performers and Ice Cast are not tipped positions. They are on quite different contracts and are salaried positions.

Edited by Board_Shorts

And with that, I'm outta here!

With a mental note to firmly remember the fire pit of insults, accusations of lying, and the bullying that come hand in hand with a genuine post on Cruise Critic...

I should have gone with my gut instinct and not come back to CC at all. What a shame that I even had to consider that.

The general public and Cruise Critic members don't need to know this inside information. It doesn't help or change anything.

Cruise Critic members however, like to know inside information and so I considered this an interesting piece of inside knowledge to share. I couldn't have been more wrong!

At least the figure was back to 14% removals last week, still with a large number of those TA guests onboard after connecting B2B with the five night.

This week will be even less thank goodness.

Thank you, and goodbye. 😊

(Bonaire today was wonderful as always by the way!)

3 hours ago, Board_Shorts said:

With a mental note to firmly remember the fire pit of insults, accusations of lying, and the bullying that come hand in hand with a genuine post on Cruise Critic...

I should have gone with my gut instinct and not come back to CC at all. What a shame that I even had to consider that.

The general public and Cruise Critic members don't need to know this inside information. It doesn't help or change anything.

Cruise Critic members however, like to know inside information and so I considered this an interesting piece of inside knowledge to share. I couldn't have been more wrong!

At least the figure was back to 14% removals last week, still with a large number of those TA guests onboard after connecting B2B with the five night.

We loved Bonaire and most of the Caribbean Islands too.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your cruise and thank you for posting in good faith and I for one agree with you.

Regards Graham.

4 hours ago, Board_Shorts said:

I liked reading your posts.  Dont let a few cruisers that are against the daily service charge sway you to not post.  I for one like to know these facts.  Thanks again

4 hours ago, Board_Shorts said:

Please do not let a few posters chase you away from CC. I for one enjoyed your thread. 

On 11/28/2018 at 9:42 PM, GUT2407 said:

Not as funny as the one who was telling us for days about is new baby, due to be born any day, the 2nd last night so happy he had a new little girl, just wished he could send some money home to them.

but earlier in the cruise we heard him telling someone else that he hadnt seen his family for more than a year as he’d been working so hard to earn money for them.

guess he either couldn’t work out which story got the most tips, it couldn’t keep his lies straight.

Perhaps his wife opened an account at the sperm bank.

14 hours ago, Bobal said:

Apparently she'd worked out that the 10 euros a night meant that her steward was earning thousands of dollars a week. Totally unaware of where the whole tipping pool goes - whether ill-informed or just stupid I really can't say  (although I have my own opinion!)

Could be both ill-informed and stupid, not mutually exclusive.

• Haha 1

On 11/27/2018 at 12:15 PM, davekathy said:

If this is true the crew member(s) should keep their whining about it among themselves. None of my business and I don't care. 

I agree.  Taking good care of my family and me is far more likely get the crew what they are looking for than is whining to me about what other customers do as it is none of my business and I, too, don't care.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1