On Millennium. A few thoughts

Merly

1 minute ago, kwokpot said:

While I agree closed cabinets are the best for bathroom storage you do realize that Celebrity is NOT the only Cruiseline that has open bathroom shelving in their rooms? I would venture to say the MAJORITY of cruiseship bathrooms have open shelves vs cabinets for storage. 

Doesn't make any difference which cruise line it is.  Closed cabinets could also be considered a safety feature.  No comparing cruise lines but Celebrity has had closed cabinets and it worked great in rough seas.  Having sailed Edge I can tell you that I would not have stored anything on these shelves, or removed items, if the seas were rough.  Just an observation but  I wonder how many agree.

Also, that safe is useless.  Meant to say that in my last post.  Way to small.

• Like 3

Just now, PatC said:

Doesn't make any difference which cruise line it is.  Closed cabinets could also be considered a safety feature.  No comparing cruise lines but Celebrity has had closed cabinets and it worked great in rough seas.  Having sailed Edge I can tell you that I would not have stored anything on these shelves, or removed items, if the seas were rough.  Just an observation but  I wonder how many agree.

Also, that safe is useless.  Meant to say that in my last post.  Way to small.

My point is ALL The cruiselines have the bathrooms that way. I just literally did a photo check on here and every line;Celebrity, Royal, Princess,Carnival,HAL,NCL, ALL those cruiselines have bathrooms with open shelving that's just how it's done REGARDLESS of whether you like it or not. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, PatC said:

Having sailed Edge I can tell you that I would not have stored anything on these shelves, or removed items, if the seas were rough.  Just an observation but  I wonder how many would agree. 

We put all our toiletries on the shelves in our Edge IV's bathroom and nothing fell off at any point though we didn't hit any rough seas. In fact, we've had similar open shelving on other ships and I don't remember anything ever falling off. 

6 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

My point is ALL The cruiselines have the bathrooms that way. I just literally did a photo check on here and every line;Celebrity, Royal, Princess,Carnival,HAL,NCL, ALL those cruiselines have bathrooms with open shelving that's just how it's done REGARDLESS of whether you like it or not. 

Guess I won't give my opinions any more.  Sorry to have irked you.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PatC said:

Guess I won't give my opinions any more.  Sorry to have irked you.  

Of course you can express your opinion, but then you need to expand your criticism to all cruiselines. In other words, if that's the industry standard practice, you should say I wish ALL the cruiselines would have different bathroom storage solutions. Whatsmore, if ALL the cruiselines have open shelving, and ALL these ships pass safety inspections, then it's obviously not THAT big of a safety concern as you make it out to be. Having sailed on 77 cruises myself I can honestly say I've never had any items in the bathroom fall off the shelves and break or spill their contents.

If you want to talk about safety concerns MY biggest pet peeve are with people leaving dirty dishes and half eaten food in the hall ways which pose a tripping hazard and obstacles for people in wheelchairs and scooters. I regularly see people put out glasses and mugs full of liquids. If you want to leave a mug or glass of soda outside why wouldn't you just dump the contents down the sink BEFORE leaving it out and potentially having it kicked down and spilled all over?

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Not ALL cruise ships! Oceania O class ships have enclosed mirrors cupboards  and whilst I cannot find photographic evidence we have sailed in other ships with cupboards in the bathroom not open shelves. 

DSC01318.jpg

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, diknjoe said:

We sail on Millie in about 2 weeks and just booked over the weekend. I suppose they re-numbered the cabins. Ours (3117) does not exist on the deck plan. Maybe we are sleeping in the hallway?

Your cabin is one of the new cabins on deck 3.  It is one of a series of about 7 cabins.  We have sailed on the starboard side ones (beginning with 3112), and they were great.  I have heard that the new series of cabins may not be as large.  Please report back to let us know what you think.  Happy Cruising on the "new" ship!  

19 minutes ago, jesrestin said:

the word "all" should never be used.

both the Brilliance of the Sea and the Serenade of the Sea have covered shelves. 

BOTS.JPG

And here is Royal's newest flagship Symphony with open bathroom shelving.

The point i was trying to make was the OP lambasted designer Kelly Hoppen for designing open shelving in the bathrooms and not knowing what she was doing. I was merely pointing out that it's standard practice on all cruiselines (Yes there are ships with bathrooms that only have enclosed storage but that's NOT the majority) and not the safety hazard that the OP makes it out to be. Yes, things CAN and probably have fallen off open bathroom shelves, but it's obviously not considered a maritime hazard worth putting in design restrictions. Again, my point was that you can fault Kelly Hoppen for many design mistakes but open bathroom storage is NOT just her design decision, it's pretty much standard cruiseship design. Having closed shelving is actually the more the outlyer than the norm.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/symphony-of-the-seas-984/ocean-view-cabin-with-large-balcony-412146/ocean-view-cabin-with-large-balcony--v484436/

Edit: Here's The Seven Seas Explorer, a ship launched in 2016, a Five Star line, bathroom of a MASTER Suite with open bathroom shelving. If a new build on a five star luxury line thinks it's OK for bathrooms to have open shelving, who are we to argue?

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/seven-seas-explorer-998/master-suite-298967/master-suite--v13637773/

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, jesrestin said:

the word "all" should never be used.

both the Brilliance of the Sea and the Serenade of the Sea have covered shelves. 

BOTS.JPG

Thanks for posting the picture as I was about to do the same. I believe Kwokpot stated ‘ALL’ in his reply (see below) and this is certainly not the case, even in the RCCL group.

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

My point is ALL The cruiselines have the bathrooms that way. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/11/2019 at 7:34 PM, Merly said:

So far the food has been great. The Ocean View lay out is much better with separate food stations. There is now a bakery with a good selection of bread, A fromage station with lots of cheeses and  an Indian, English etc station. 

is there still a grill in the back of the ocean view cafe where you can get a minute steak, chicken or fish griled to order?

On 2/12/2019 at 3:34 AM, Merly said:

So far the food has been great. The Ocean View lay out is much better with separate food stations. There is now a bakery with a good selection of bread, A fromage station with lots of cheeses and  an Indian, English etc station. 

Thanks for updating, good to know. We were on it just before the "revolution" and the food was not great.

Enjoy your cruise!!

5 hours ago, kwokpot said:

And here is Royal's newest flagship Symphony with open bathroom shelving.

The point i was trying to make was the OP lambasted designer Kelly Hoppen for designing open shelving in the bathrooms and not knowing what she was doing. I was merely pointing out that it's standard practice on all cruiselines (Yes there are ships with bathrooms that only have enclosed storage but that's NOT the majority) and not the safety hazard that the OP makes it out to be. Yes, things CAN and probably have fallen off open bathroom shelves, but it's obviously not considered a maritime hazard worth putting in design restrictions. Again, my point was that you can fault Kelly Hoppen for many design mistakes but open bathroom storage is NOT just her design decision, it's pretty much standard cruiseship design. Having closed shelving is actually the more the outlyer than the norm.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/symphony-of-the-seas-984/ocean-view-cabin-with-large-balcony-412146/ocean-view-cabin-with-large-balcony--v484436/

Edit: Here's The Seven Seas Explorer, a ship launched in 2016, a Five Star line, bathroom of a MASTER Suite with open bathroom shelving. If a new build on a five star luxury line thinks it's OK for bathrooms to have open shelving, who are we to argue?

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/seven-seas-explorer-998/master-suite-298967/master-suite--v13637773/

Obviously there's not much point in our publishing alternative views here since you are so determined to be right.  But here goes, anyway.  Every S class balcony cabin I've ever sailed in had closed shelving.  And I've also sailed on ships that had open shelving but with rails to keep the stuff on the shelf.  Personally, I prefer the closed shelving with the glass doors on the S class ships.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Not that I wish to engage in an argument, but I'm not quite sure what photos you’ve been looking at. The Solstice class debuted in 2008. We have sailed on every S-class ship. I can assure you that the bathrooms in the suites do not have “open shelving”. They have glass doors and I think some may be mirrored in the upper suites. So not “all” cruiselines' bathrooms are fashioned as you describe. Now having said that, with the introduction of the E class and subsequent Revolution of the fleet, that may change going forward.

Jm2c.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

Not that I wish to engage in an argument, but I'm not quite sure what photos you’ve been looking at. The Solstice class debuted in 2008. We have sailed on every S-class ship. I can assure you that the bathrooms in the suites do not have “open shelving”. They have glass doors and I think some may be mirrored in the upper suites. So not “all” cruiselines' bathrooms are fashioned as you describe. Now having said that, with the introduction of the E class and subsequent Revolution of the fleet, that may change going forward.

M-class bathrooms have open shelf storage. Again, the OP implied that Kelly Hoppen designed a bathroom that had opened shelves and that she does not know what's she's doing. All I'm saying is that she isn't the only ship interior designer to do that. At no point did I imply people have to like or dislike open shelves, nor did I imply they people can't have an opinion. All I said is Kelly Hoppen didn't innovate that design. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, 39august said:

RCI ships most definitely have cabinets with doors in the bathrooms. So do the balcony cabins on the S class ships I have sailed. 

I never said all cruiseships. I said all cruiselines. That's a big difference. I'm not sure why people want to argue this. 

If you all want to bash Kelly Hoppen for innovating that feature go right ahead. This is the most pointless discussion. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

What is done on other ships or hotels is really not the determining  point for us. The no frills minimalist style is just not that appealing! Maybe good for a teenager's room or a dorm or a hostel.

Celeb has always been better than that, .X   has had secure closed shelving for years,...and it has worked well in rough seas. Yes, it does rock and roll out there at times!

We used the open shelves on EDGE but did not take very much out of the pouches we  used to pack the  items in.....easier to move ( or rescue)  if needed.

The open shelf design looks cheap,  and the lip on the shelves is way too low to hold anything in place if the ship hits some weather. Again..designed by someone who does not cruise!

We also had the chipped Hoppen faux bleached coral scupture removed asap, along with the Hoppen vase that says on its bottom..do not add water!  Those items are useless dust collectors.

A few live flower arrangments added some  color and soul to the cabin!

It is  puzzling why these points result in a challenge, debate or argument,..if other ships do it does not mean it is best .  Probably it  is just cheaper!

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I never said all cruiseships. I said all cruiselines. That's a big difference. I'm not sure why people want to argue this. 

If you all want to bash Kelly Hoppen for innovating that feature go right ahead. This is the most pointless discussion. 

As I said, I have no desire to “argue” with you. And please stop throwing the word “all” around as not everyone is bashing Kelly Hoppen.

My apologies to the OP.

• Like 3