Is there still a Midnight Buffet?

Qmadam

My husband and I cruised every year for many years.  It's been five years since my last cruise because his health would not permit us to cruise.  I am finally going to cruise again next month.  I am wondering two things: is there still a midnight buffet and do they still serve hot chocolate croissants in the morning by the coffee bar?  

When we started cruising there was a midnight buffet every night, as the years went by it was reduced to one a cruise.  Just wondering if this is happening at all or has become a thing of the past.  And the chocolate croissants, well what can I say!

I am taking my son and his family on this cruise.  I'm not ready to go alone yet.  I would have enjoyed sharing the experience of the buffet with them as it was always an extravaganza and work of art.  That said, I always thought it was quite wasteful, but then that was part of the decadence of the cruise experience "back in the day"!  

I'm happy to hear I might find some chocolate croissants!  

Good question.

We were trying to remember when we last saw one--- probably about 15+ years ago.

Recall going to see the displays, ice carvings etc.  Countless hours of prep.

We Never ate at one... 

The work and all--was amazing....

Haven't see one since

First- sorry for you los. After they got rid of the MB they had waiters circling popular areas of the ship with bits and pieces, warm, cold, sweet...! As far as I know they got rid of that too. It was a waste, i agree- but nice to look at anyway- oh my it was such a to do- first just pictures- then out again- then in again...! To be quite honest- i don´t really miss them!

Haven't seen a midnight buffet for a long time.  We always felt sorry about the work that went into them and people only took pictures.

Yes, the chocolate croissants are still at Cafe al Baccio as are the almond ones.  You should try one of those as well as the chocolate.  I hope you have a great cruise.

The last time we saw a midnight buffet on a X ship was in 2006. By 2008 it was greatly reduced to a dessert buffet that was in the Sky Lounge, but that was a mere shadow of the lavish buffets of the past. The chocolate croissants however are still flourishing aboard.

6 hours ago, Nang said:

Holland America have a late buffet, 10:30-11:30 I believe

Totally different.  Not the elaborate display of a few years ago.  That's just late supper.  Carnival does the elaborate midnight buffet on the throwback night of their Journeys cruises.  EM

19 hours ago, TeaBag said:

I was not that sorry about the midnight buffet disappearing but I really missed the big extravagant brunch in the MDR on one of the last sea days.  That was special.

We enjoyed the brunch as it was it was something different and a perfect excuse for a long lie-in 😉.

Also, no waiters carrying flaming baked Alaska the last formal night. Oh and no formal nights... just chic nights... but a few guys still will wear a tux. I miss the ice carvings... actually never made it to a midnight buffet.. You will still have a great time

Thanks to you all for the great responses.  I'm so looking forward to being back on the sea!  My first cruise was back in 1996 on the Horizon and it was awesome.  So many changes since then, some good, some not so much; but cruising is still my favorite vacation.  I am looking forward to those croissants (and I will try the almond LOL).  

My first few cruises we had a buffet every night (yes at midnight LOL).  Then they went to once a cruise, then to gourmet bites, and then to the Brunch.  I also remember an elegant tea in the main dining room open to everyone.  I am glad I got to experience all of these things.  Time have changed and it's all good.  I'm really excited to be taking my grandson along and introduce him to the cruising life.