Gross question - but here it goes -

Have you seen the massive sizes and rising level of obesity of many of today's American cruisers? These people are carrying 4 plates at a time in the buffet putting down mammoth amounts of food and move like snails ...... They probably can't make it to their own stateroom in time to poop ......  Sorry, truth .........

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, GMoney said:

And with this, Cruise Critic has truly outlived its usefulness

I welcome new topics on these boards.  Better than the 2000 dress code, smoking, drink package, etc. threads.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, John Reid said:

You are all missing the point. It is impossible to do a "courtesy flush" while sitting on a nuclear vacuum commode! My naughty bits could end up in the Atlantic.

Hmmm... I just reach around and hit the flush button.  Works every time.

Yes, also noticed lot of passengers use public restrooms for #2. Lot of them are on larger size and might be for the extra room that their own bathroom doesn't have, or maybe just so room doesn't smell. Noticed the Cabins vent smells out into the halls. When I'm out walking the ship passing cabins...WOW!

Edited by ONECRUISER

4 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Yes, also noticed lot of passengers use public restrooms for #2. Lot of them are on larger size and might be for the extra room that their own bathroom doesn't have, or maybe just so room doesn't smell. Noticed the Cabins vent smells out into the halls. When I'm out walking the ship passing cabins...WOW!

Can understand large people using the public toilets for #2 for extra space.  But I've never smelled poop smells in the hallway.  Occasional sewer gas smells, especially on lower levels, but not actual poop odors.

1 minute ago, voyager70 said:

Can understand large people using the public toilets for #2 for extra space.  But I've never smelled poop smells in the hallway.  Occasional sewer gas smells, especially on lower levels, but not actual poop odors. Definitely #2 smells. Last yr everyday a Dog in cabin barked at me threw the door every time I pased the cabin...

Know the sewer/lower deck smell on some ships, not that. Do lot of B2B and few times a day I walk the whole ship, every deck. Definitely #2 smells from few cabins... Last yr everyday a Dog barked at me threw the cabin door every time I passed by...

9 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Know the sewer/lower deck smell on some ships, not that. Do lot of B2B and few times a day I walk the whole ship, every deck. Definitely #2 smells from few cabins... Last yr everyday a Dog barked at me threw the cabin door every time I passed by...

Dog barked at you?  Must have been the service dog of an owner with a bowel problem.

5 hours ago, FLgal0214 said:

I used the public bathrooms for #1, never for #2.  Just wondered why so many people didn't go back to their own cabins for #2.  OR bring some poopouri along if they were going to use the public bathrooms for #2.  Many times I did walk to back to our own cabin to use the bathroom, even for #1 because the smell was so bad in the pool & Windjammer bathrooms. 

For crying out loud. It is a restroom. Everyone has a bowel movement, and they all smell bad. Yes.. the term is bowel movement... this "#2" business is rather childish. 

If you don't like what you smell when you go to the restroom, then go to your own cabin to urinate, and you will not be bothered. Problem solved. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

Have you seen the massive sizes and rising level of obesity of many of today's American cruisers? These people are carrying 4 plates at a time in the buffet putting down mammoth amounts of food and move like snails ...... They probably can't make it to their own stateroom in time to poop ......  Sorry, truth .........

Generalize much? I'm overweight... I have never carried more than one plate, and I walk faster than most people that are not overweight. Ignorant comment... sorry, not sorry... truth! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Mikew0805 said:

For crying out loud. It is a restroom. Everyone has a bowel movement, and they all smell bad. Yes.. the term is bowel movement... this "#2" business is rather childish. 

If you don't like what you smell when you go to the restroom, then go to your own cabin to urinate, and you will not be bothered. Problem solved. 

Well I guess you told me 😳

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, grapau27 said:

The bigger concern I have is when people come out of the cubicles after a #2 then don't wash their hands.

How do you know they did #2?  Some men use the stalls for #1.

5 hours ago, voyager70 said:

Hmmm... I just reach around and hit the flush button.  Works every time.

Some people end up making a seal with the seat. 😄

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Paulette3028 said:

If I were shouting ..... it would have all been in caps.  Just pointing out the obvious.  Sometimes smaller ships have a smaller 'sanitation plant' on board and if a problem develops with it, its first appearance could come from the odor emanating from a public rest room.   I have been on ships when the problem was detected from a cruiser cabin, as well.....but maintenance needs to know.

No matter what problem exists with a ship's "sanitation plant", that will never exhibit itself as an odor in a restroom or cabin bathroom.  This is because, unlike a land toilet, the toilet bowl is segregated from the piping system by a valve that only opens when the toilet is flushed.  

Now, there is a separate problem, that also has nothing to do with any problem in the treatment plant, and that is that the "gray water" drains (the floor drains), if they don't see a dose of water often enough the trap will dry out and odors will back up.  This is remedied in cabin bathrooms by simply pouring a glass of water down the drain (not the one in the shower, look for another, frequently under the toilet), which will produce almost immediate relief from odor.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2