Best of free included desserts?

Jaxweb

I read some old posts that said most of the desserts are made to look good in photos and not really made for taste. I don’t want to waste time and calories on those. 

On Solstice to Alaska, what’s are the tastiest available desserts you can get without needing to go to specialty restaurants?

order as many as wanted, don't like one try another. I have liked most but there are certain things/flavors I am not a fan of in deserts and typically don't order them.  But usually most things at Café Bacio are really good.  The deserts in buffet are the ones I find not interesting, but definitely the ice cream. 

That is a really subjective question - what is great for me will not necessarily be great for you.  If calories are the thing try this for a rule.. if you don't love it... don't swallow.  Don't be afraid to send something back if it doesn't float your boat.  Eat what you truly desire from each plate - but no more.

And for what it is worth... I hate the ice cream.  Really sorry - but I grew up on Italian gelato.  American ice cream has far too much casein.  So - each to his (or her) own....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GastroGnome said:

And for what it is worth... I hate the ice cream.  Really sorry - but I grew up on Italian gelato.  American ice cream has far too much casein.  So - each to his (or her) own....

That seems harsh....I love them both....home made peach ice cream with fresh Georgia Peaches cannot be beaten..

• Like 1

Yes, any taste is subjective, but there is a way you expect certain things to taste. 

There was a post stating the free cheesecake was lower quality than a Jello No Bake version and that many desserts used gelatin as a filler to make them look good, but made the item taste bland and cheap. 

Looks fancy, but tastes like packaged sweets from a Dollar Store. 

Ok - yes.  I get that! Home made ice cream, even when made with heavy cream, rarely has the casein levels in commercial ice cream because it keeps it stable for longer periods.  But if you are offering I would be honored to try your homemade peach ice cream.

And yes - far too much gelatin in the buffet desserts.  It helps with stability in the heat.  No new york baked Cheesecake - wonderful thing that!

1 hour ago, Jaxweb said:

I read some old posts that said most of the desserts are made to look good in photos and not really made for taste. I don’t want to waste time and calories on those. 

On Solstice to Alaska, what’s are the tastiest available desserts you can get without needing to go to specialty restaurants?

I would second that most of the pastries look much better than they taste.  My favorites include the Berliner (filled donut), creme brule, chocolate mousse, and ice cream.  Most of the items at the Cafe a Bacio can be had  in the Oceanview Cafe on most ships.  

But if you venture into the Specialty Restaurants, another world awaits you....

To me they are all just sweet with no real taste or flavor.  They look better than they taste just like that store that use to be in the malls.  It smelled great but had no taste and they went out of business.

the only thing worth worth having are the cookies and ice cream.  And when you get the ice cream you can get Reese’s Pieces, M and M’s and some other toppings. 

If you like chocolate they do have som decent chocolate stuff and I think there is a all chocolate buffet that replaces the Grand Buffet.  

It is really hit or miss as you have to try all to see what you like.   You don’t like it leave it. The fish will then be fed with it. 

We usually leave without having desert at dinner as it isn’t worth the calories for us.  Would rather have a desert martini.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅 

Edited by miched

Every day it is either chocolate cake with ice cream or apple pie with ice cream.  I am a very basic type and I don't care for the fancier desserts with all of the whipped cream  and gooey fillings.  

Ice cream vs real Italian gelato.....you cannot beat the real gelato but since I don't live in Italy and I have to watch what I eat anyway. a nice scoop of chocolate ice cream is always a great treat.

• Like 1

We sailed on the Summit in June.  We found the desserts in the buffet and in the special Bakery area of the buffet to be mostly delicious.  So I would skip the dessert in the dining room and head to the buffet for dessert.  The breads at the Bakery were also much better than we have had on 20+ Celebrity cruises.  The croissants were flaky and delicious.  The jelly donuts that were made fresh for the afternoon tea (4:00 - 5:00 pm) were great (better than Dunkin Donuts).  I also like the moist coconut cake and the cookies at the Bakery.

All the desserts seem to  look better than they taste (although I did get one dessert in the main restaurant that was in the shape of male genitals! 😮) Really loved the key lime pie in the restaurant though - pity I only saw it once.

The bite size lemon tart at Cafe Al Bacio is the best.  I am a sweet eater but find most of the desserts in the dining room are not to my liking.

Also the for fee Gelato.  As an elite, I get one free per sailing and that is enough.

We love the lemon tarts at Cafe Bacio, no charge for desserts and baked goods served there.  Also love Cafe Affogato.  A scoop of gelato with a shot of espresso.  I get aside of Kahlua to pour on top.  Not on the menu but will make it for you and covered under classic drink package.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keesar said:

I would second that most of the pastries look much better than they taste.  My favorites include the Berliner (filled donut), creme brule, chocolate mousse, and ice cream.  Most of the items at the Cafe a Bacio can be had  in the Oceanview Cafe on most ships.  

But if you venture into the Specialty Restaurants, another world awaits you....

I have been on many Celebrity cruises and check the desserts daily . The Café desserts are not at the buffet nor the MDR

I have also had chats with the head waiter maitre de and had them make special deserts.  I tend to love coconut.  For our table on one cruise we had 7 nights of special coconut deserts made for us. This was a 12 day cruise.  I called uncle after 7 loved them all.  I agree the donuts when you get them fresh are great.  But everyone has there own tastes on things. Food can be so subjective and all taste differently.  I know there are things I love to eat and taste flavor profile wise were my better half can’t stand.  Mint for one she can’t stand it at all in anything I can’t stand bananas or blackberries raspberries. Won’t eat anything with them in there. It’s all subjective. 

I think Celebrity offers desserts that look beautiful but are tasteless and not worth the calories. The best one I tried on our recent Equinox cruise was the limoncello cheesecake in the Tuscan Grill.  The worse one was the apple pie I tried in the MDR.

Sherri🙂 

23 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

I have been on many Celebrity cruises and check the desserts daily . The Café desserts are not at the buffet nor the MDR

Then you will have to come on the same cruises that I book.  Many of the same desserts have been at the Oceanview and the Cafe for the last few cruises.  I take pictures of desserts (I know it is weird) and there are many desserts at the Cafe.   For starters, Berliners , eclairs, creme puffs, and the black/white  moon cookies.  Cakes were the same as well.

The coconut cake in the Cafe al Bacio is my favorite, but in all honesty it does sometimes does vary from ship to ship.  And if anyone reading this thread is a first time Celebrity cruiser they need to understand that while the pastries and other treats at the Cafe al Bacio are in a case (so have to be served or put in a to-go bag for you) there is no additional charge for them.  

• Like 3

We were on the Equinox last month and found the desserts to be better in the buffet than in the MDR. Our last dinner on Friday night, I ordered the Cannoli and it was the worst I've ever had. I thought the Cheese Cake in the MDR was pretty good.