Ever Book Post Final Payment?

Mimiya11

Wen are looking into booking a second cruise the day we arrive back in Fort Lauderdale from a Panama Canal cruise.  

The EDGE sails out that very day but is pretty much full (no surprise) with only obstructed balconies (no thank you).  We noticed that final payment is November 4th so we will wait in case  any cabins open up  and see if the pricing is the same, lower or higher?. 

If we have no luck, no big deal but when we started costing out hotel, food etc for staying in Fort Lauderdale another week, another cruise sounded much more desirable.    

Anyone with experience doing this?

We did once..had to  cancel a cruise  on Royal C  after our final payment date,  due to  need for immed gall blader surgery ( ins covered all) . At the end of my initial recovery peroid  I logged on to Royal.. Amazingly, there were "blinking  last minute sale lights"   A primo midships cabin had opened at a very  good price....had to book and pay.  Worked out better than anticipated. We were still packed from the cancelled cruise and booked air asap.!  Really felt lucky!

Caveat,,,..This was before all the move up bid business  and wait list stuff started..but I think it can happen..Go for it!

Try a different cruise line.  We have found some fantastic deals doing that and experiencing other lines.

Sometimes the shorter cruises offer great prices.  We booked a cruise on Princess after final payment that was 6 days before our cruise on X.  It was a 5 day cruise in a balcony for $299 pp plus $200 SBC.  While on board they offered a suite for $199 pp for the following cruise that was for 4. days.  We couldn’t do it because of our cruise with X

on the elevator when departing a group of women made a comment that they were sorry pointing to our luggage.  I ask why? And they said because we were getting off and laughed.  I replied that we weren’t because we have a 14 day cruise in a suite on Celebrity that we had to get to.   There was then a long sighing oooooooh.

you could also ask on board at the future cruise desk or guest relations about staying on or any cruises available when you get off.  Might even get to use future booking and get extra SBC

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1

We booked a B2B 2 weeks prior to departure.   We really didn't plan on taking the cruise but prices dropped significantly after final payment and it was such a good deal we couldn't resist   Price drops usually occur at about 2 weeks after final payment and my continue to be discounted if the cruise is not selling well.  

• Like 1

I think on my next cruise Ill be booking like this, Since final payment is around 90 days out this gives me enough leeway for work to plan things. The cruise I do have coming up I did get at a great price booking last year over there black Friday sail.  Im hoping for a similar sale this year, got to love 25 dollar deposits and a free perk.  But Ill probably be looking more 2 months out ones,  I typically look for late October November cruises and usually 10plus days, so those are usually good for a nice drop after final payment it seems.

We have done this several times.  With my husband's work schedule, it is often necessary.  We just booked a cruise on the Summit and we leave in less than 60 days.  We once booked one the week before and got a killer deal. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mimiya11 said:

If we have no luck, no big deal but when we started costing out hotel, food etc for staying in Fort Lauderdale another week, another cruise sounded much more desirable.    

Anyone with experience doing this?

Yes, and "If we have no luck, no big deal" are the key words.

We won't take that risk if we have our hearts set on a particular cruise that we really, really want,  but if it is a take-it-or-leave-it cruise, booking at the last minute is a great way to do it.

You can pick up some really good deals that way, if you are willing and able to be flexible on cabin selection.

It is especially easy to do on cruises out of Florida where there is so much competition.

We hear that some Florida residents keep their cruise bags packed and ready at all times just to be able to jump on a cruise ship at the last minute. 😀

• Like 1

Yes, we booked a family cruise with 3 cabins 2 weeks before sailing. This was on Holland America, newest ship. We were surprised at the great price our TA  got us and the cabins were in really good locations. They weren’t together but were on the same deck. We paid in full, packed our bags and enjoyed a great cruise to the a Norwegian Fjords!

• Like 1

We do this all the time.

Pretty much all prices drop shortly after final payment.

Can save significant money !!!

Just booked late Nov Equinox Concierge guarantee for less than inside was before final payment.

Assigned cabin 2 days later and we moved it to where we wanted.

Saved about $500 compared to booking an assigned Concierge!

• Like 1

We just recently lucked into a corner S1 sky suite for a November cruise.  Someone must have canceled as those cabins are often the first SS booked.  We got it for the same price, more or less, than the AQ cabin we usually book, when perks were taken into consideration.  So sometimes that strategy will work. 

56 minutes ago, vickykay said:

Do you find these deals on the cruise line websites or “last minute” types of sites?  Thanks.

In addition to the sale prices advertised to the general public, there are different categories of last minute sales offered to different groups, and they can be posted anywhere.  They often show up on the websites and mailings from the various affinity groups that qualify for them.

If you qualify for several different discount categories and are on lots of different mailing lists, you regularly receive offers from a number of them, some much better deals than others.

10 hours ago, TommyD3 said:

We do this all the time.

Pretty much all prices drop shortly after final payment.

Can save significant money !!!

Just booked late Nov Equinox Concierge guarantee for less than inside was before final payment.

Assigned cabin 2 days later and we moved it to where we wanted.

Saved about $500 compared to booking an assigned Concierge!

Ditto. Have done 105 cruises and I bet the last 20 where booked after final payment.

We often book after the 90 day period. You have to be flexible in terms of itinerary and cabin... but we did get good deals. After one cruise...we decided to book another 5 weeks out... now it was an 'obstructed' cabin on deck 6 of an S class. It was a 12 day southern Caribbean total cost less than $2000 including taxes. I remember telling DH that to consider it a test to see how disturbed we were with a D2 obstructed cabin. Loved it despite the obstruction... you could still see out easily... just not as pretty in the cabin photos.  We are cruising again soon... this trip was planned months in advance.. there were at least one price adjustments... then a week after final payment... prices dropped again... kinda ticked me off. I think this plan works great if you don't have your heart set on a particular itinerary or cabin location. I notice that cruises that include a port the cruise line seldom visits... tend to book up earlier and don't have the last minute discounts the usual itineraries have.

Edited by kearney

On 9/21/2019 at 1:33 AM, varoo said:

In addition to the sale prices advertised to the general public, there are different categories of last minute sales offered to different groups, and they can be posted anywhere.  They often show up on the websites and mailings from the various affinity groups that qualify for them.

If you qualify for several different discount categories and are on lots of different mailing lists, you regularly receive offers from a number of them, some much better deals than others.

What sorts of groups? If you cannot answer based on Cruise Critic rules, I understand.

We live just at the border of driving distance to Florida ports, and are considering this strategy for some last minute trips. This thread is VERY helpful because people are sharing strategies about time of year and itinerary that would influence how we would do this. I'm still working, but have a fair amount of vacation flexibility if I plan ahead. I could pick a week for a rock bottom Caribbean cruise, then book within the 90 days, but I would have to choose the cruise I was aiming for ahead of time, if that makes sense.

Edited by cangelmd

We just added a B2B with a guaranteed room after final.  We had booked our flights on SW and actually got $50 back after changing.  We got a great rate and yes we’ve done it before.  If you’re flexible and don’t care about your cabin you can sometimes, especially in off season, get good deals.  Don’t expect it in the summer or over holidays though as there might not be anything available. Some trips I plan 18 months in advance. This last one I booked 8 weeks out.  Once I booked on Monday for a Sunday departure driving to the port.

For the poster above I’d plan on several options even on different lines in case a ship was full when you planned your vacation.  The hot deals don’t come around as often as they used to but we did great on our B2B by waiting. The second week was $500 less for the same category.

Edited by cruiselvr04

This morning I helped our friends book a sky suite, on Celebrity Edge sailing in 75 days. A B2B, for 14 days. The cost was $8,492, total, for the two of them, including all taxes and fees. It also had all four perks. They received $1,150 fully refundable obc which brings their cost down to $7,342 or $3,671 p.p. for two weeks.

Although I don't think the value is there, they seemed really happy and that's all that matters.

Waiting can payoff.  If you want a specific cruise or a specific cabin, book early.  If you aren’t fussy and are flexible, you can get some great deals after final payment. We have booked as late as the week before the cruise. Price was great.  Also, get your name on cruise line promo emails. Celebrity is exciting deals. When you see a good deal, book.  One of our best was 15 nights on the Infinity Panama Canal for $1000 pp OV.  Good luck. If you are patient, something will turn up. If not, take a road trip. Have fun.

19 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

Waiting can payoff.  If you want a specific cruise or a specific cabin, book early.  If you aren’t fussy and are flexible, you can get some great deals after final payment. We have booked as late as the week before the cruise. Price was great.  Also, get your name on cruise line promo emails. Celebrity is exciting deals. When you see a good deal, book.  One of our best was 15 nights on the Infinity Panama Canal for $1000 pp OV.  Good luck. If you are patient, something will turn up. If not, take a road trip. Have fun.

Our best was about four years ago, a transatlantic on Silhouette, 13 days for $600 p.p. for a balcony. Booked about six weeks out and the airfare home from London was pretty reasonable.

All your responses have been amazing and I see someone asked a similar question on the Princess boards.  

Seems though that our only option for that day on Celebrity may be the Edge (that's good),  but not sure how lucky we will be with that ship (that's bad).   For sure we will wait until after November's final payment date. 

Considering we will be coming off a 10 day cruise, the day we want to sail out again, if it doesn't happen, oh well.... May try again for a month or two later.