Christmas Eve and Christmas Day

lynn2002

Hi

First time cruising at Christmas and first time on Princess.  It will be me and my 15 year old daughter.

I'm interested in what Christmas Eve and Christmas Day is going to be like and what Christmas traditions are followed.  We are in the Caribbean and both days are port days when we will be getting off the ship.  Christmas day we don't have to get off the ship until around 11.00 a.m.  

Do they have Christmas crackers (or else I'll bring a couple with me).  Do they service Christmas dinner on Christmas day or on Christmas Eve?  What time does Santa make an appearance (I know she's old for this but it makes it more festive)?   Do they do anything special on either Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, such as a party or a pantomime?  Christmas Day I have a surprise for her in port (dolphin swim) but I'm just wondering what else there is to make it feel special. 

If anyone has the Patters for a Christmas Eve and Christmas Day that would be great to see.   It would be good to see the timeline of events and what type of films they show in the evenings on those days.

22 minutes ago, lynn2002 said:

Hi

First time cruising at Christmas and first time on Princess.  It will be me and my 15 year old daughter.

I'm interested in what Christmas Eve and Christmas Day is going to be like and what Christmas traditions are followed.  We are in the Caribbean and both days are port days when we will be getting off the ship.  Christmas day we don't have to get off the ship until around 11.00 a.m.  

Do they have Christmas crackers (or else I'll bring a couple with me).  Do they service Christmas dinner on Christmas day or on Christmas Eve?  What time does Santa make an appearance (I know she's old for this but it makes it more festive)?   Do they do anything special on either Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, such as a party or a pantomime?  Christmas Day I have a surprise for her in port (dolphin swim) but I'm just wondering what else there is to make it feel special. 

If anyone has the Patters for a Christmas Eve and Christmas Day that would be great to see.   It would be good to see the timeline of events and what type of films they show in the evenings on those days.

It depends what ship you are on.  We were on the Pacific Princess last year.  Small ship, not much happening. There is an interdenominational service and the "choir". Usually, not much happening in port.

20181222_172622.jpg

20181224_211626.jpg

I would bring your own “crackers”, as a lover of them I would would really miss having one.  I would not expect the ship to have them especially on a Caribbean cruise.  They are still not really a North American thing.   I would bring a couple extra for either table mates or others around you, so they could also were their “party hat”.

This will be our first Christmas at sea, on the Ruby.  And Christmas Day is a sea day.  I've also been wondering what to expect.  For example, on the ships that have on demand TV channels will there be the usual Christmas movies available or should I download my must watch ones (It's a Wonderful Life, etc.)

Thanks!

I would think twice about bringing those on board. If they are the crackers with the strip inside that ignites when pulled on both ends, I doubt you'll even make it past airport security.

Depending on where you board, you can probably pick some up locally. Ft. Lauderdale has a 24 hour Walgreen's a few blocks from the terminal that sells them as well as the Publix market.

On the Regal, they have Christmas carols in the piazza on the 24th, and Santa has gifts for everyone. There is even a snow making machine. Christmas day has the traditional items in the dining room . . ham turkey etc.

Have a wonderful time!!!

• Like 2

I've done two Princess Christmas cruises.  They had eggnog Christmas morning and Christmas dinner that evening.  I highly recommend the Gingerbread souffle.  Christmas music played throughout the cruise and a terrific Gingerbread village.  Santa madera visit with a small gift for all the kids.  I don't remember any crackers.  Small extras on pillows Christmas eve.

• Like 1

Oh! Gingerbread Souffle!  and Eggnog!  YUM!

I realized that of course Yellow Fish has been on Christmas cruises so I searched her blog for Christmas.  Looks like there are plenty of Christmasy activities, including a Christmas movie marathon on MUTS.  Obviously the celebrations varied by ship and cruise director but it does look as though there is plenty to enjoy.

Here's the link  https://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/search?q=christmas

I would expect many stores would be closed in port on Christmas day. Ship will be decorated. Some special menu selections, but also all the normal items.

If Christmas Crackers are fireworks of some kind they are prohibited items and not allowed on board. From the prohibited item FAQ list; Fireworks, Flares and Pyrotechnics

• Like 1

Well it's really hard to beat the treasure trove of info provided by Pescadoamarillo but I'll add a few things.

First of all, the ship will be fully decked out for weeks before Christmas through the day (it is a bit jarring how quickly all of the decorations come down after boxing day).

There will be trees everywhere including a fairly massive one in the piazza.  There will be many events planned for Christmas eve and Christmas day.  Caroling.  Gingerbread house building (costs a few $ extra).  A visit from Santa.  And a host of other activities for both young and old.  In the past is has been possible to pass a gift to Santa with your child' name on it, not sure whether this is still the practice.  As written, holiday music will be everywhere, throughout the cruise but especially on the days themselves.

Most of the actual celebrating will be on the day.  It will be a formal night and the dining room (and buffet for that matter) will go all out to serve you meals that you might expect at a family dinner in the states.  Photographers will be positioned all around to get those family holiday shots.  Do realize the ships sail very, very full at this time of year.  Hundreds of children are the norm, service does suffer somewhat as a result of the high pax numbers.  All in all the ship has a very special feel at holiday time, we've really enjoyed being on board.

As I said the ship rapidly transforms back to 'normal' over one night shortly following.  I've always thought it was a bit a shame to end the festivities so abruptly - but then I"m a guy who takes down my tree at home something like January 15th (fake tree of course).

Additional information is always welcome!

I am a bit surprised that the decorations come down the day after Boxing day.  We're getting kicked off the ship on the 27th so it won't really matter to us.  If I were on the New Year's Eve cruise, I'd be surprised by no decorations though.

I know it will be crowded (the ship is sold out)  and that there will be LOTS of children.  We don't have any - but we really like kids of all sizes and, mercifully, they seem to like us too.

Am starting to get really excited!

Crackers are a British tradition, where the OP is from.  But popular in many Other countries.  They are  similar to party poppers. They are a lot of fun.  

https://britishfooddepot.com/tom-smiths-fun-family-crackers-12-pack/?cmp_id=6614126782&adg_id=79268102872&kwd=&device=t&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlbT6z9fb5QIVDtVkCh3grAwXEAQYBCABEgIdnfD_BwE

I am not British but enjoyed them in England while on  a dinner cruise. All the guest  had them so we just followed what other were doing.  I think Costco sells them sometimes.  Perhaps Others can do provide more  information.  

Enjoying the thread, thanks OP. 

We've done 2 Christmas cruises in the Caribbean.  On Christmas Eve, the CD read "The Night Before Christmas" in the Piazza. It's also shown on the TV in the stateroom. Christmas Eve mass from Rome as well as Christmas morning mass was shown on the TV.  On Christmas Eve we got little red Christmas stockings with a candy cane with our pillow chocolates inside.  Once when we first boarded, we witnessed "snow" falling in the atrium while the costumed carolers were singing Christmas carols.   There were gingerbread houses displayed in the atrium as well as the buffet.

I think they do it very nice. 

• Like 2

On the Christmas cruises we've taken, they left the decorations up throughout the cruise. We did notice they started taking everything down the morning we disembarked.

They had carolers dressed in Victorian costumes on embarkation day. The entertainers did a special performance of Christmas music. On one cruise, we had the special menu for the holiday on Christmas Eve. On all the others, the special menu was the night of Christmas. They decorated the mailboxes with small holiday floral picks. But of course the Medallion ships don't have mailboxes anymore. Once we had cookies for Santa delivered to our cabin. 

On 11/8/2019 at 9:38 PM, CarelessAndConfused said:

I mean I know what they are in terms of saltines and putting cheese on them, but what are specifically Christmas "crackers"?

Oh, you have made my morning 🤣. I now realise that you don’t have Christmas crackers in the US and I’d never even noticed, even though we have been on several Christmas cruises. As well as the link above, here’s an image to help visualise what the cracker is over here (no cheese required 😆).

300FF1FA-ACED-4A05-B08C-5DC6E9E22FDF.jpeg

I doubt very much whether they would be allowed to be packed and taken on flights or cruises anyway because of their construction materials.

Edited by villauk
  • Like 2

For most crackers it would be easy enough to pull out the “banger” to make them safe.  
Glad to know Target in the US has them.  
I have noticed in North America they often have pictures of the “prizes” inside so you can know what you are getting.  I have stopped buying the “cheap” ones.  
In the past in Canada I have seen flat packed ones at the dollar store, that you added your own gift into them, they came with the jokes, hat and “banger”.  

A quick summary, is that they have a paper crown, a joke, and some sort of small gift.  The ones we get have a key chain, dice, small screwdriver set, small mirror etc.  

• Like 1

On 11/8/2019 at 12:40 PM, chapultepec said:

I would think twice about bringing those on board. If they are the crackers with the strip inside that ignites when pulled on both ends, I doubt you'll even make it past airport security.

Depending on where you board, you can probably pick some up locally. Ft. Lauderdale has a 24 hour Walgreen's a few blocks from the terminal that sells them as well as the Publix market.

On the Regal, they have Christmas carols in the piazza on the 24th, and Santa has gifts for everyone. There is even a snow making machine. Christmas day has the traditional items in the dining room . . ham turkey etc.

Have a wonderful time!!!

I know that we are not supposed to criticize the style of posts and the moderator is free to remove this post..  However, your usage of a purple font makes your post hard to read.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/8/2019 at 8:24 PM, tere247 said:

We've done 2 Christmas cruises in the Caribbean.  On Christmas Eve, the CD read "The Night Before Christmas" in the Piazza. It's also shown on the TV in the stateroom. Christmas Eve mass from Rome as well as Christmas morning mass was shown on the TV.  On Christmas Eve we got little red Christmas stockings with a candy cane with our pillow chocolates inside.  Once when we first boarded, we witnessed "snow" falling in the atrium while the costumed carolers were singing Christmas carols.   There were gingerbread houses displayed in the atrium as well as the buffet.

I think they do it very nice. 

They read "Twas the night before Christmas" on ours also.  It was just wonderful.  It's been mentioned, but I want to add that the decoration and Christmas music playing (both festive songs and Christian songs) on the speakers was exquisite.  DH and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. So much so, that we will by on the Sky for Christmas and New Years this year!!  

I assume port days don’t offer as many activities on Christmas, but you will still get a full Christmas feast, carols sung in the Piazza, Santa hands out presents to the kids, And decorations around the ship. For the people who have a sea day, there’s a Christmas carnival in the Piazza with fun activities for the whole family and pictures with Santa, cookie decorating,  and a gingerbread house decorating contest. I absolutely adore Christmas at sea! Have fun everyone! We will be aboard the Pacific, where the Christmas spirit will be alive and well but at a much smaller scale than on the biggies. 

1 hour ago, Lynniepoo said:

They read "Twas the night before Christmas" on ours also.  It was just wonderful.  It's been mentioned, but I want to add that the decoration and Christmas music playing (both festive songs and Christian songs) on the speakers was exquisite.  DH and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. So much so, that we will by on the Sky for Christmas and New Years this year!!  

They really do it nice.  Makes me sorry I couldn’t book for this year.  It’s my turn to host.  

6 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

I assume port days don’t offer as many activities on Christmas, but you will still get a full Christmas feast, carols sung in the Piazza, Santa hands out presents to the kids, And decorations around the ship. For the people who have a sea day, there’s a Christmas carnival in the Piazza with fun activities for the whole family and pictures with Santa, cookie decorating,  and a gingerbread house decorating contest. I absolutely adore Christmas at sea! Have fun everyone! We will be aboard the Pacific, where the Christmas spirit will be alive and well but at a much smaller scale than on the biggies. 

They don't do very much on the Pacific.

20181222_172622.jpg

20181224_193253.jpg

20181224_211626.jpg

22 hours ago, villauk said:

Oh, you have made my morning 🤣. I now realise that you don’t have Christmas crackers in the US and I’d never even noticed, even though we have been on several Christmas cruises. As well as the link above, here’s an image to help visualise what the cracker is over here (no cheese required 😆).

300FF1FA-ACED-4A05-B08C-5DC6E9E22FDF.jpeg

I doubt very much whether they would be allowed to be packed and taken on flights or cruises anyway because of their construction materials.

We were on a Princess cruise last year that was over both Xmas and NYE. They did have crackers on NYE. There was a small plastic car inside.

On 11/8/2019 at 1:23 PM, lynn2002 said:

Do they have Christmas crackers (or else I'll bring a couple with me).  Do they service Christmas dinner on Christmas day or on Christmas Eve?  What time does Santa make an appearance (I know she's old for this but it makes it more festive)?   

Unfortunately - Christmas crackers are prohibited on planes within US and flying into the US.

The cruises I have been on have them but if you fly in early, you can often buy them in the US.

Edited by Coral

We're on the Regal for the New Year's cruise and will be in Falmouth (Jamaica) New Year's day. I asked my Princess Vacation Planner what might be open in the port area and was told, it's at the merchant's discretion whether or not to open but she said it would be in their economic interest to be open. If you are on a Princess excursion that includes shopping, the merchants have to remain open.

I can't speak for the other ships, but the Regal remains decorated until the New Year's sailing (Jan. 05, 2020) has concluded.