Changes to Asia sailings.

upwarduk

24 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

A.emgee’s speculative itinerary violates PVSA and would not work

I didn't take A.Emgee to necessarily mean the list encompasses solely one sailing. It's simply a compilation of ports/dates that Millie has popped up on various port calendars. I would expect there to be a number of itineraries/sailings to cover the interim.

I know there's a TA that publishes the following week's Exciting Deals on Thursday or Friday prior. It will be interesting to see if any of the new itineraries are included in next week's deals. 

1 minute ago, BEAV said:

I didn't take A.Emgee to necessarily mean the list encompasses solely one sailing. It's simply a compilation of ports/dates that Millie has popped up on various port calendars. I would expect there to be a number of itineraries/sailings to cover the interim.

Yes, correct.  I was just trying to summarize the ports that are known - not piece together an itinerary.  Otherwise there would be a lot of dates listed with a lot of question marks! 😀  Hoping that more collaborative detective work will uncover additional ports and dates to add to the list.

6 hours ago, yorky said:

Way too early to be considering cancelling, for cruise in February and expect it to be over well before that. While no two outbreaks are the same the SARS  outbreak lasted around 6 months. I think it’s highly unlikely this virus will still be a huge issue 13 months down the line.

The Corona Virus will most likely disapear by end of April, hence the likelyhood of another outbreak next winter is very small. The whole world panics, but the Influenza "Flu" is much more deadly and kills many more people every winter. However for the media it's now much more exciting to talk about the Corona Virus.

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

If this were Ipee's cruise line, I would get the Millie to San diego and then do a couple Panama canal cruises before heading up to Alaska.  I think I could sell the canal cruises at a higher premium than other west coast options.

Just wondering - how far in advance does a large ship have to request/reserve a canal transit? 

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

If this were Ipee's cruise line, I would get the Millie to San diego and then do a couple Panama canal cruises before heading up to Alaska.  I think I could sell the canal cruises at a higher premium than other west coast options.

Or round trip Hawaii from San Diego !!!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Just wondering - how far in advance does a large ship have to request/reserve a canal transit? 

Booking berthing space in some smaller ports is much more difficult, Canal passages are always booked by many large cargo ships at a comparable short notice.

23 hours ago, TeeRick said:

So what? Don't you think that Celebrity has been contingency planning for the past several weeks and has waited to see how this rapidly evolving situation has played out before making the decision to cancel?  

That’s a little harsh! The timing can definitely be criticised as Wednesday was the last day that onboard bookings for our Japan cruise on 10th April could have been transferred without loss of deals or any charges so by leaving the decision until early Thursday they removed that option.  This means we’re left with no holiday and a lot of things to cancel too!!  In our case we had also been on a b2b with the China cruise scheduled for 28th March which we had been able to transfer because it was an onboard booking but as independent travellers we then had to re route our flights and change hotels pre cruise plus change our Heathrow Hotel & parking with all the costs that brought only to find now that with this cancellation we have to do it all again and have no holiday at all.......  Had they told us on Wednesday they were likely to be cancelling we could have transferred our booking and still had a holiday or they could have offered to move us to the new sailings on Millie but they didn’t.  I think although it’s been a very difficult situation for them as well as us, they could have communicated better and been more flexible with people like us who have been seriously impacted......

Here is an article also:

Royal Caribbean Cruises announced it will dedicate two ships to "humanitarian efforts in Australia and California" to support those affected by recent crises in both areas.

Both the Spectrum of the Seas and Celebrity Millennium, which are out of service due to the coronavirus outbreak, will redeploy for these sailings. 

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/22457-royal-caribbean-to-sail-free-cruises-for-crisis-responders-with-displaced-tonnage.html

22 hours ago, Scrappincaz said:

That’s a little harsh! The timing can definitely be criticised as Wednesday was the last day that onboard bookings for our Japan cruise on 10th April could have been transferred without loss of deals or any charges so by leaving the decision until early Thursday they removed that option.  This means we’re left with no holiday and a lot of things to cancel too!!  In our case we had also been on a b2b with the China cruise scheduled for 28th March which we had been able to transfer because it was an onboard booking but as independent travellers we then had to re route our flights and change hotels pre cruise plus change our Heathrow Hotel & parking with all the costs that brought only to find now that with this cancellation we have to do it all again and have no holiday at all.......  Had they told us on Wednesday they were likely to be cancelling we could have transferred our booking and still had a holiday or they could have offered to move us to the new sailings on Millie but they didn’t.  I think although it’s been a very difficult situation for them as well as us, they could have communicated better and been more flexible with people like us who have been seriously impacted......

I'm very sorry that you think I was harsh.  I sympathize with your personal situation and I also would be upset about these events.  You are of course free to criticize them and some will agree with you. But as for me,  I really believe that Celebrity has mostly acted responsibly to a rapidly changing and a very unfortunate set of circumstances.  I truly hope everything works out for the best for you and others caught in this situation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/13/2020 at 4:38 PM, LXA350 said:

The Corona Virus will most likely disapear by end of April, hence the likelyhood of another outbreak next winter is very small. The whole world panics, but the Influenza "Flu" is much more deadly and kills many more people every winter. However for the media it's now much more exciting to talk about the Corona Virus.

Medical experts tend to disagree with you.  Many have indicated it will last at least a year, and that it is also likely to be a virus that continues to come back year after year.  I agree that the media loves to sensationalize, but unfortunately this virus is not going away anytime soon.

On 2/13/2020 at 9:14 AM, BEAV said:

I forgot to mention if Millie is going to originate in Honolulu on March 1, she would have to terminate that sailing in Vancouver. She could not terminate in San Diego, LA, SF or Seattle due to the PVSA (Passenger Vessel Service Act). She could also legally terminate in Ensenada, however the cruise lines have steered away from that nightmare in recent years. 

2003 and Crystal Harmony. I remember it well and we, too, couldn't take advantage of it for the same reasons as you. Heck of a deal. 

Mille could use Ensenada Mexico. About a 3 hour sail from San Diego.

15 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Medical experts tend to disagree with you.  Many have indicated it will last at least a year, and that it is also likely to be a virus that continues to come back year after year.  I agree that the media loves to sensationalize, but unfortunately this virus is not going away anytime soon.

If Corona is as widespread as it now appears a vaccine should be available this fall. The good thing is looking like many contract the virus with few if any symptoms. The person then develops immunity.  Agree Corona will continue for months but a Worldwide pandemic unlikely. China is going to take a huge economic hit along with shipping and the natural resources China consumes. US stores likely to see product shortages starting in April of Chinese goods.

25 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

But that is not what the stable genius is saying.  So who should I believe?

• Like 1

On 2/12/2020 at 10:07 PM, MamaFej said:

I'd love to be able to take advantage of West Coast cruises. My LA Dodgers will be in San Francisco on April 4, and it would be fun to go see them while on a cruise.

My heart breaks for those whose cruises were canceled, but I understand why it's necessary. 

Celebrity announced a series of 3/4/5 day cruises mostly out of Los Angeles where firefighters etc. will be offered free or deeply discounted cruises. The displaced RCCL ship is offered free cruises in Australia for firefighters.

Expect details soon. The article on this was published in Sydney AU.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 8:03 AM, Scrappincaz said:

I certainly sympathize. My grandkids had a holiday planned that started with a cruise on Millenium followed by 2 weeks in the UK. They were independent travellers. It took many hours to contact everyone and cancell, but EVERY provider from auto and accommodation to ferry travel cancelled with full refund.

Celebrity people in Miami got the same information as you and I. They hoped to simply change ports - made sense to me - and that plan quickly changed with the ports shutting access.

On 2/13/2020 at 5:38 PM, LXA350 said:

"

From : https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/1237961/coronavirus-fatality-rate-vs-flu-how-deadly-is-coronavirus-flu-death-toll-2020

"

In countries such as the US, the figure is more pronounced, as 10,000 people have died from the virus during the latest season, which started in late 2019.

Nevertheless, the disease comes with a low mortality rate of roughly 0.13 percent, and affects those most severely who are chronically unwell."

Toll is dated but:

"

How deadly is coronavirus?

A coronavirus tracker developed by Johns Hopkins University found cases of 2019-nCoV now number 20,704.

Their dashboard revealed most cases - approximately 20,492 - were detected in mainland China.

Of those who contracted the infection, 427 have died, giving it a fatality rate of 2.07 percent."