How do an 87 and 89 year old get home from Freemantle?

Kindergirl

Thank you all so much. I so appreciate your thoughts, support and prayers.

yes, they are in Sarasota Memorial. I spoke with my mom briefly. In all honesty she sounds terrible and said she felt the same. Something she never does.  She is always “fine” or “good” so I’m not feeling too hopeful. 

My partner chatted with Jim and he sounds okay but is having some heart issues. 

No test results yet.

I feel awful for turning this happy thread around at a time when good news is so needed. I told John @Copper10-8 so when he very kindly called to check in with me earlier tonight. ❤️  But I also didn’t want to leave you all out after your love and support. 

Still, I’m sorry. I will keep posting but completely understand if you don’t wish to read it. We will get an update from the nurse either later tonight or in the morning. 

Cherie @cccole thank you also for making masks.  The stories of people stepping up and helping each other are really helping balance the devastation. 💕💕💕

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Oh how upset I have become when I saw the posts on the incredibly long thread involving the Zaandam & Rotterdam and now find this one.  I was so excited with what I had done to help with all the info to help them home and once again when they flew right over us during the TPA approach. Kindergirl, here's hoping that you parents get better soon.  I'm wiping tears from my eyes trying to type this. I kid you not!

Edited by rjbean4
  • Like 3

Deb, I’m so sorry to hear this. Please make sure that as part of your mom’s bloodwork that a d-dimer test be done. If the test comes back elevated (positive), she could have a blood clot in her lungs. All that travel on the plane makes people susceptible for them because you’re sitting for such long periods of time. And it will definitely make you feel short of breath in your lungs. My 90 year old mother has them in her lungs now, and thank goodness the nurse practitioner had them run this test. She is now on a blood thinner. Anyway, I just wanted to mention it in case the Covid test comes back negative and they start looking for other things.

Praying that they will be out of the hospital and back with you soon!  

• Like 8

48 minutes ago, Kindergirl said:

Thank y

Cherie @cccole thank you also for making masks.  The stories of people stepping up and helping each other are really helping balance the devastation. 💕💕💕

Hi Kindergirl, First, I am so sorry to hear about your parents.  They looked so fabulous when they arrived at LAX and TPA.

I had no idea how hard it is to get elastic now.  We are hoping to provide masks to the front line in a local hospital.  

I am sending good thoughts to you and your parents and, even if I don't respond to your posts, I always check to see how you all are doing.  Cherie  

• Like 2

Deb

thank you for keeping us updated. I hate to ask you to do so, but truly appreciate you doing it. There is an army of us praying for the best possible outcome.

And please insist on being tested, if either your Mom or Jim test positive. Orange County (where Orlando is) is running short of tests and will only test people who exhibit symptoms, so you might have to be very insistent.

Stay well. 

Ann

• Like 2

@rjbean4 I know.  You and others in this thread worked so hard and got them home safely. Regardless of what happens I am so grateful for that. If they were on the ship or half way around the world you all would have to talk me down from trying to find a sympathetically millionaire to get me closer to them. They are here, I am grateful.

@carolyn22 thank you for letting me know about this. I will make sure they have ruled that out.  Also, nurse practitioners are amazing. They are my primary healthcare providers at home and my satisfaction with my healthcare has never been higher. 

We spoke to the nurse at SMH last night.  They were both stable and having something to eat. I’m not sure that’s really any indication of how they are.  I’ve read a study of people’s appetite staying at normal levels through covid, but it still gave me some comfort. 

So, here we are back on the roller coaster of ups and downs. I’ll try to only post major developments so there are fewer.

Meanwhile, I am so glad the passengers from the Zaandam and Rotterdam are disembarking. I’ve had trouble keeping up with the details on that (at last glance) 122 page thread, but it seems there is a good ending there in terms of getting to land. Now my thoughts are with those who are ill and those who fear they may be. I tweeted our Prime Minister 2days ago with a full plan for taking them to Newfoundland Labrador with military assistance. It’s good they got off in Florida as I haven’t heard back. 🙃

And finally, masks. We should all be wearing one when around others. I know there is controversy about that but it is my firm belief. So Cherie and Ger, thank you again.  I can also attest to regular elastic bands. I have an old N95 mask from over ten years ago and of course the elastic only lasted a few days. I am now putting it on with elastic bands when I have to be out getting groceries and since my mom got sick I’ve been wearing it in the house. So far so good.

I wish you all a good day in our brave new world. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

@cat shepard Yes Ann, I’ll have to be insistent indeed. They have already told me regardless I don’t need to be tested and to only come to the hospital if I develop severe symptoms. Just assume I’m positive. So, no more groceries for me even with a mask. I’m staying put, no way I’m putting others at risk. 
On a positive note, when I run out of food I’m going to order from Door Dash!

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Kindergirl said:

@cat shepard Yes Ann, I’ll have to be insistent indeed. They have already told me regardless I don’t need to be tested and to only come to the hospital if I develop severe symptoms. Just assume I’m positive. So, no more groceries for me even with a mask. I’m staying put, no way I’m putting others at risk. 
On a positive note, when I run out of food I’m going to order from Door Dash!

Assume you are positive. Wow!  So now you need to make sure to eat lots of things that beef up your immune system.

Door Dash sounds fun. Too bad the situation itself is no laughing matter.

Stay well.

• Like 2

@cat shepard no laughing matter indeed! Amen to that sister. When I think of the healthcare providers without PPE and the medical staff getting fired for trying to protect themselves and their patients I want to scream. When I think about those in New York, stuck in that density with each days exponential growth of cases I feel suffocated. And if I think too long about the massive number of deaths we have yet to face, and the lack of help for those in the worst shape I could really just give in and cry for days. 
I think we all need to find bright spots and find ways to keep up our spirits. The last thing we need is an massive increase in suicides and serious mental health challenges.

I’m so sorry if you took my Door Dash comment as cavalier.  I’m just trying to find “any port in a storm”.

Much love and respect to you. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Kindergirl said:

@cat shepard no laughing matter indeed! Amen to that sister. When I think of the healthcare providers without PPE and the medical staff getting fired for trying to protect themselves and their patients I want to scream. When I think about those in New York, stuck in that density with each days exponential growth of cases I feel suffocated. And if I think too long about the massive number of deaths we have yet to face, and the lack of help for those in the worst shape I could really just give in and cry for days. 
I think we all need to find bright spots and find ways to keep up our spirits. The last thing we need is an massive increase in suicides and serious mental health challenges.

I’m so sorry if you took my Door Dash comment as cavalier.  I’m just trying to find “any port in a storm”.

Much love and respect to you. 

Trust me, Deb - there is NOTHING you could say or do that would make me think you were treating this situation cavalierly. NOTHING!

And we all need to find some humor occasionally. It is a wonderful stress reliever.

Ann

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Trust me, Deb - there is NOTHING you could say or do that would make me think you were treating this situation cavalierly. NOTHING!

And we all need to find some humor occasionally. It is a wonderful stress reliever.

Ann

Yes, humor is so important. I text a lot with friends and we find ways to make each other laugh, often at very little things. 

Kindergirl, I would take the fact that they're eating as a good sign. If nothing else, it means any coughing is controlled well enough that they can risk eating and not choking. The old expression about getting better, "sitting up and taking nourishment" has been around for a long time for a reason. 

Meanwhile, you need to rest up to keep your body strong for the fight in case you are positive. And also to be ready to be the home nurse when they're released. 

• Like 6

Deb, I want to offer you (and the thread) some reassurance during this new difficult time. Sarasota Memorial is one of the state’s highest-ranking hospitals, and has been in the Top 100 List nationally for years, and even is on a recent list of the world’s best hospitals. If they had to be sick, I’m so glad they are there where they’ll get wonderful care. 

• Like 9

25 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Deb, I want to offer you (and the thread) some reassurance during this new difficult time. Sarasota Memorial is one of the state’s highest-ranking hospitals, and has been in the Top 100 List nationally for years, and even is on a recent list of the world’s best hospitals. If they had to be sick, I’m so glad they are there where they’ll get wonderful care. 

Thank you CC! I only know a bit about Florida hospitals, so this is great news!

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Great to know this.

• Like 2

Praying for a quick recovery for Cathi and Jim. Have been following this thread from the beginning and it is wonderful to see so many kind hearted people who go out of their way to help others!!! Starting with Cooper-The Hero. May we continue to be kind to others and pray for a vaccine for this devastating virus. Thinking and praying for you also Deb!! Stay well!!

• Like 3

Thank you everyone. Your thoughts, prayers and virtual hugs (thank you @Seasick Sailor) truly mean so much. 
@Caribbean Chris thank you for that information. I had no idea it was rated so highly. That’s very comforting and I can attest to the kindness of all the staff I’ve had contact with. With the stress levels in the hospitals I expected a two minute call with a nurse if that, but they have taken their time to make sure we have information and have assured us we are welcome to call if we have questions. Healthcare workers are heroes in my books. 
I don’t know if they are still doing it, but when my mom was in there last year for a hip replacement they played a lullaby each time a new baby was born. She loved that. I hope they are still doing it, in bad times it’s reassuring to know that new little ones are being born who may someday change our world for the better. 
I hope you know how grateful I am for this amazing community. Thank you all. 

• Like 9

14 hours ago, Kindergirl said:

I feel awful for turning this happy thread around at a time when good news is so needed.

You are a part of the CC extended family.  You have brought us closer together as a community because of your love and concern for your parents.

We are here for you in good times and sad. We always will be.

• Like 5

Deb I’m so sorry for the turn of events.  

My thoughts and prayers are with your parents and also praying that you stay well.

Thank goodness you are there for them and for you because if you were up here and them down there you would extra beside yourself with worry.  I too hope that them eating is a good sign.  

Prayers from Canada!

• Like 4