P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

49 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I wasn’t making a direct comparison - just saying one is an example of a country where the leader took firm action very early on, and the other one isn’t.

The female leader😊 I think that was the difference

avril

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

The female leader😊 I think that was the difference

avril

Something in that I suspect - without in any way wanting to appear sexist, women seem to be able to concentrate far better on the job in hand than their own egos and having to look macho all the time.  There are some fine examples of leadership in Germany, New Zealand and Scotland, for example, and some appalling male ones here and in America.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I agree Avril, but equally I understand  how the young feel, having their freedoms denied and their futures destroyed as we all stand by unable, unprepared or unwilling to look for alternative solutions.  My eldest Granddaughter is in her final year at 6th form college, and sinking deeper into despair as she finds it impossible to get job interviews, or failing to get onto a final interview list because it is oversubscribed several hundred times over.

Hers will be the generation that pays by far the highest toll from this pandemic. 

That is very true, and I feel for your granddaughter and all young people. They're paying a very high price for this epidemic and they'll continue to pay a high price for the ongoing financial costs for many years. One of the first generations ever to be faring worse than their parents,  and you can understand how bitter some of them will be. That's not to condone breaking the rules, but it's maybe some sort of rationale.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, batholiver said:

Something in that I suspect - without in any way wanting to appear sexist, women seem to be able to concentrate far better on the job in hand than their own egos and having to look macho all the time.  There are some fine examples of leadership in Germany, New Zealand and Scotland, for example, and some appalling male ones here and in America.

Whilst the theory about female leaders handling the crisis better gained traction in the early days of the pandemic,  the reality is not so clearcut. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/08/26/are-female-leaders-better-fighting-covid-19/

11 hours ago, wowzz said:

Anyone care to comment on the Sky Princess programme? 

They could teach us a thing about track & trace ..Just think Mrs Wowzz would never lose you ever again :classic_unsure: Also like you say the makeup/beauty girl did well for herself . As for the ship I never saw anything that made me want to be onboard her ,nothing wrong just how I felt about her.

4 hours ago, batholiver said:

That is very true, and I feel for your granddaughter and all young people. They're paying a very high price for this epidemic and they'll continue to pay a high price for the ongoing financial costs for many years. One of the first generations ever to be faring worse than their parents,  and you can understand how bitter some of them will be. That's not to condone breaking the rules, but it's maybe some sort of rationale.

IMG-20210113-WA0000.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

Whilst the theory about female leaders handling the crisis better gained traction in the early days of the pandemic,  the reality is not so clearcut. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/08/26/are-female-leaders-better-fighting-covid-19/

It shouldn't make a difference whether female, male, neutral, gender bionic etc, whether they reverse forward or come towards it from behind, it should be the best man for the job, love Roger.

• Haha 2

We went to th'Asda this morning, thought we would get off before the forecast snow came. It was the least worst shopping experience since lockdown began last March. It was quiet, everybody wearing masks, people making an effort to avoid one another, no large families browsing, all the tills open so no queues to pay.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, wowzz said:

Anyone care to comment on the Sky Princess programme?  Obviously Princess have editorial control, but I thought overall Princess came out pretty well.

We've sailed on 4 different Princess ships and should have been doing the transatlantic on the new (did it launch?) Enchanted Princess last November.  We've enjoyed them all but our least favourite ship was the Sapphire Princess and favourites being the newer larger Royal and Regal - the small balconies are only a minor inconvenience to us.  We enjoyed the programme but it suited DH more because he loves all the technical and engineering stuff, whereas I should have liked to have seen more on the 'softer' side of cruising; cabins, theatre, dining rooms etc, but appreciate that's not the focus for this series.  The captain and staff were as impressive as you would hope they would be!

• Like 1

Bit of a yucky drizzly day in not so sunny Sarfend today.  Took the bike to the workshop for an MOT.  Hadn't ridden for a while and I couldn't believe the number of diesel patches on the road.  Less traffic about than I expected.

Saw a friends house on the BBC 10 o'clock news last night.  In the background of an article about Sarfend.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

We went to th'Asda this morning, thought we would get off before the forecast snow came. It was the least worst shopping experience since lockdown began last March. It was quiet, everybody wearing masks, people making an effort to avoid one another, no large families browsing, all the tills open so no queues to pay.

At last!!!  Is it finally hitting home?

Avril

It’s a really nice day for January and considering there’s no sight of the sun.  It’s warm (about 10C I reckon) and calm.  We’ve done a long walk, to make up for a short one in the rain yesterday, and meandered by the river.  Lots of ducks in pairs, so I guess there’ll be a mob of fluffy ducklings soon.

OH and I have finally started a post festivities 5:2 regime (Actually, I think this might be a very delayed post festivities 2019 regime.  We went from New Year to 5 weeks on Ventura to Lockdown 1.0 after Xmas 2019 and I’m sure we’ve not subjected ourselves to limiting (comfort) food between then and now). So, this is the second of this week’s :2.  It’s OK.  It’s a simple way of shifting unwanted inches

No news.  Back to my book ...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

The supermarkets enacting something they should have done weeks ago, no masks no entry and shop alone not as a family (with exceptions for single parent families) 

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

At last!!!  Is it finally hitting home?

Avril

Now can we move the TV crews on who camp outside supermarkets.:classic_unsure:

One of the most popular methods of fighting the pandemic seems to be standing in the street, talking to TV news crews, complaining about all the other people who are standing in the street talking to other people.:classic_wacko:

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Well that’s even more restrictions up here. More limited (essentials only) click and collect for non food items and more rules around takeaway food/drinks which will close some down in effect.

Pressure on employers to ensure home working where at all possible, if you worked at home last March then that should be the case again now.

A tightening of the “stay at home” legislation so fining those who abuse the system is easier.

Let’s hope that things start to improve soon, for us all.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We have just been our for a walk and got several packs of stotties and a coffee from Gregg's.

Love this dog video.

Graham.

I love your jokes etc. Graham, but this way beats the lot.  Just what they need on TV as an information advert.  Would do a lot more than anything else.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well, its kinda chill in my place at the moment. Even though I wish there was something going on aside from all those coronaVirus restrictions but in any case I am doing just fine and I plan to move out somewhere to have some time outside. Corona wont hit me any harder