Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

20 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

how is the sun glare with kindle as I do majority of my reading outdoors, either on my patio or on the beach.

I get a bit of sun glare, but mine is about 10 years old.  I have no problem with it at the beach may be because I’m usually wearing some kind of hat.  DH has a newer version, I think it’s called PaperWhite?  His had less glare than mine.  

Edited by Momof3gurlz
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

I get a bit of sun glare, but mine is about 10 years old.  I have no problem with it at the beach may be because I’m usually wearing some kind of hat.  DH has a newer version, I think it’s called PaperWhite?  His had less glare than mine.  

I will have research the new ones and see how they are with glare as I don't wear a hat, don't like hat hair - LOL!   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

how is the sun glare with kindle as I do majority of my reading outdoors, either on my patio or on the beach.

The kindle paperwhite is perfect for reading in bright sunshine,  no glare.  I do love my kindle, light and easy to carry. And as my eyesight gets worse I can just adjust the font size. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Just checked and my wife has a Nook rather than a Kindle.  I don't think there's much difference, but the Nook is easy to read in the sun.  Not much glare.  It also lights up for reading in the dark.  Guessing it's maybe 6 years old?  I use the Nook app on my iPad mini and that screen isn't nearly as easy to read in bright sun, but I get the benefits of having all of the other apps on the iPad.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

Just finished John Grisham’s new book, actual book, Sooley.  it was really interesting to read.  I have all his books up my attic for my son who is also a fan to inherit.  They take up space but I have read and enjoyed every one.

I recently learned that John Grisham has a vacation house on Amelia Island.  It's actually 2 side by side houses directly on the beach that he has turned into a compound of sorts.  He wrote a book called Camino Island that is supposedly based on Amelia Island.

• Like 5

I am in the "book club" as well.   Not really fond of a Kindle, for the same reason.  Glare.  

Bucky has a Kindle (only because his daughter gave him one), but only uses it to play games, and do occasional surfing (when he is not frustrated on how to connect to WIFI).  😉  

I have Android phone, but don't use it much for internet, preferring to use little laptop instead.  When I don't have WIFI access, I use the little phone as WIFI hotspot and connect laptop to that, which I have been doing all week due to this resort not offering internet/WIFI service.  

• Like 1

Drove down Coastal Highway 1 to little town of Gualala (maybe a place Laura of John/Lala would like) 😉 Lunch of fish and chips with great view, then stopped along the way back for this view.  Thought Bucky's sweatshirt was appropriate. 😄    Sea birds enjoying some "rock time" as well.  

20210512_131728.jpg

20210512_131847.jpg

20210512_132045.jpg

20210512_132140.jpg

20210512_132230.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DaniDanielle said:

Just finished John Grisham’s new book, actual book, Sooley.  it was really interesting to read.  I have all his books up my attic for my son who is also a fan to inherit.  They take up space but I have read and enjoyed every one.

Good to hear you liked it.   I have it on my list of books to read this summer either on the beach at LBI or on my cruise out of Bermuda

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

I recently learned that John Grisham has a vacation house on Amelia Island.  It's actually 2 side by side houses directly on the beach that he has turned into a compound of sorts.  He wrote a book called Camino Island that is supposedly based on Amelia Island.

We vacationed in Amelia Island my senior year in high school.  Very nice place.  We stayed at - I believe- the Windsong Condos?  I had a huge crush on Chris Evert back then and she supposedly had a condo in that same complex.  Of course we never saw her.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

I am at Amelia and I noticed two blue houses next to each other with a fence and plantings around both (large) houses.  Wonder if those are his?!

That sounds like it.  Just south of Beach Access #38 on South Fletcher Ave.  You can't see much of the houses from the street due to the large bushes in front.

I love my kindle.  Kindle Fire cannot be read in direct sunlight.  Kindle Paperwhite can.

I never buy kindle books.  I use my library app to download books for free on loan for 21 days.  New books are put on hold until available. I am now readying Sunny Hostin's Summer on the Bluffs. Takes place for the most part on Martha's Vineyard.  Easy read so far.

Going to make lemon pasta (Ina Garten's recipe) with chicken for dinner.

Dani, as always, hugs and prayers go you, your family and all of Israel for a final end to this ongoing horror.  Yes, Iron Dome is doing a wonderful job.

And.....you never rant.  You're sharing your feelings.  We're here for you!!!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

Jim and I both read Camino Island this past year.  Easy reading while sitting on the beach!

• Like 1

I read using the kindle app on my iPad.  The biggest advantage of it for vacation is not having a suitcase full of books.  One reason we gave up on formal night was so we could pack more books and less clothes!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

We vacationed in Amelia Island my senior year in high school.  Very nice place.  We stayed at - I believe- the Windsong Condos?  I had a huge crush on Chris Evert back then and she supposedly had a condo in that same complex.  Of course we never saw her.

I (and probably many other men of a certain age) also had a huge crush on Chris Evert.  The Women's Tennis tour had a tournament every year on Amelia sponsored by Bausch and Lomb.  That was when Chrissy was in her prime so it makes sense that she would have a condo there.  Other famous people who have houses on the island include David Baldacci (author) and Ricky Rudd (former NASCAR driver).

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I (and probably many other men of a certain age) also had a huge crush on Chris Evert.  The Women's Tennis tour had a tournament every year on Amelia sponsored by Bausch and Lomb.  That was when Chrissy was in her prime so it makes sense that she would have a condo there.  Other famous people who have houses on the island include David Baldacci (author) and Ricky Rudd (former NASCAR driver).

I used to read Grisham but now I read every Baldacci book as soon as they come out .

• Like 4

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Drove down Coastal Highway 1 to little town of Gualala (maybe a place Laura of John/Lala would like) 😉 Lunch of fish and chips with great view, then stopped along the way back for this view.  Thought Bucky's sweatshirt was appropriate. 😄    Sea birds enjoying some "rock time" as well.  

You’ve sure had some beautiful scenery on this trip. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 2