Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

38 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

I love that you know the history of your home.  We don't know ours.  From what I understand, there had been a fire, where records of the homes had been destroyed.  Our home still had the original wood planking (I don't think that's the right name for it) on the outside, which we were constantly painting ourselves, and eventually had to have someone else do the painting.  Our decision to move was two-fold.  We wanted to move near our daughter, and the up-keep was getting to be too much.  

So, what did we do?  We moved to a home here with so much outside work!!  It's worth it, though.  I love it here, and I like working outdoors.

Hah!  When I was just in the shower, I remembered the word  for the wood planking is "clapboard"!!

I've still got it....it just takes a while for me to remember a word..lol!😜

• Haha 11

24 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Well, the Rangers trip to Tampa was a bust, losing 2 games in a row. One of them in heart breaking fashion.  But I had a blast attending the games & exploring the city with my stepdaughter & her friends. Met some great people & plan on coming back. 

Had one of the best Pastrami sandwiches in a long time. In a British pub no less!! Who says you can only get good Pastrami from a NYC Jewish deli? 

20220606_192632.jpg

Oh, that looks good.  

Let’s hope the Rangers take the next two.  It would be such a shame if they had to postpone that Justin Bieber concert that would conflict with game 7. 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

47 minutes ago, Luckynana said:
14 hours ago, helen haywood said:

I love that you know the history of your home.

Oh, we know everyone who has lived here!!  A cousin of mine came over when we first moved in and just started reciting the different families complete with personality traits…. I invited one previous owner over to tell me about what had been original and what had been added on…and she gave me a complete genealogy of all the flowering shrubs!  (Like Aunt Pitty-Pat from Gone With the Wind…)  “This camellia was from a cutting given to my mother by her college roommate from Charleston…this azalea was transplanted from our other home…”

Its way more home and yard (acres of lawns, towering boxwood hedges, sasanqua hedges, azaleas, wisteria arbors, forsythia, hydrangeas, crepe myrtles, irises, dogwoods, magnolias, camellias, peonies…) than we need now.  I would like to downsize but George loves it here…. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Maryann.

We rushed to the hospital and my dad must have heard the clip clop of Pauline's heels in the corridor because he held on until we got to his bed and died then.

Heartbreaking Graham. I am so sorry.

4 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

So, I didn't post about it but this past winter I lost my cat, Lila, from a medical issue that came up suddenly out of no where. 

So this is the newest family member. She is a now a 4.5 month old Russian Blue named Jade for the jade green eyes she will have after her kitten blue eyes change to their adult color. She has been with us for a month now.

Sorry to hear about Lila. Jade is a wonderful addition to the family. She is so beautiful. I have no doubt she will warm up to you and be very loving. I think a piano would be an exciting place for a kitten to hang out in. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I'm looking forward to seeing the movie. I love the original. I was very skeptical about a sequel as they are usually a big let down but I'm really happy with what I've been hearing about this movie.

I think you'll be very happy with the new one.  Lots of similarities to the old one...in a good way.  We don't go to the movie theater very much anymore, mostly because Micheline has short legs and the seats are very uncomfortable for her (unless the theater has reclining seats).  The new Top Gun though is worth seeing on a big screen with a great sound system.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

Just got back from my first visit to a new dentist here.  What a pain (figuratively and literally).  It took a couple of hours to do all of the paperwork (where it seemed like I entered my name, SSN, and DOB at least a dozen times), get x-rays, and get fully checked by the dentist.  Every little thing they found wrong was noted and I was offered a treatment plan.  It felt a lot like they were trying to "upsell" me treatments that I didn't need.  I then tried to schedule an appointment for a cleaning and they had nothing available until August.  Sigh.

After thinking about it a bit, I've concluded that they were just doing their job, and doing it thoroughly.  They didn't really push any treatments on me...just making me aware of what they found.  That's really a good thing.  And my old dentist in Ohio was the same with difficulty scheduling cleanings in the short term.  The office here called me back soon after I got home with a cancellation opening in a couple of weeks, so they got me in fairly quickly.  From there, I should be able to schedule new appointments every 6 months in advance fairly easily.

I'm going from having the same dentist (28 years), the same dental hygienist (10+ years), and the same receptionist (25 years) in a fairly small practice.  We all knew each other by name, new about each other's families, etc.  I now will have a new practice with 3 dentists, numerous other people poking and prodding me, and an office with 4 woman banging away on computers.  This dentist gets great reviews and I'm sure everything will be fine once I get used to the change.  It might take a minute though.

I can relate , my dentist retired last year and I had be going to him since 1988, my folder was as several inch’s thick. I also have been through several gum specialties.

Just started my first Bosch book really enjoyed the tv show and will definitely pick up one of the Lincoln lawyer books also. Just finished that show yesterday.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Lol, I got the message.☺️

So, I didn't post about it but this past winter I lost my cat, Lila, from a medical issue that came up suddenly out of no where. I don't want to re-live the details here. I swore that was the end of any more pets but then the right side of my brain took over from the left.

So this is the newest family member. She is a now a 4.5 month old Russian Blue named Jade for the jade green eyes she will have after her kitten blue eyes change to their adult color. She has been with us for a month now.

She is still very skiddish but hiding less and interacting more. It is a little hard starting  over and having to establish trust and bonding all over again. Of all the fur kids I've had over the years she has been the biggest challenge to win over. I usually have no problem connecting with animals that I encounter. All suggestions to help this process are welcome! Anyway, meet Jade.....

20220529_070725.thumb.jpg.6324f55f44ba71ed92d183f8befdea94.jpg

20220605_131524.thumb.jpg.2c9e2f12c1f0a051fd061591df2f898f.jpg

20220605_131844.thumb.jpg.6b947a4ec32aeb626e1dd7912b15a747.jpg

I hope I didn’t make you feel like you had to post them in case you changed your mind. She’s beautiful. When giving her treats toss them to her one at a time and each time toss them closer to you. We did this before and it helps. If you don’t have an automatic feeder it helps to do this when she is hungry at feeding time. She will eventually come around.

I forgot to say that Mike was asking about her about a week ago. He’ll be happy to see the pictures. Love the second picture. Looks like her fur would be so soft.

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 7

55 years ago on June 8 we rescued our first cat.She was a beautiful orange color that we named Elizabeth.A few weeks later we rescued a second cat who had the same coloring as Elizabeth and we named her Priscilla.In July of 1967 we rescued a beautiful all white kitten that we named Wivenhoe.We gave all three to what we believed were good homes but in hindsight I wished we would have kept Wivenhoe .

• Like 9

19 hours ago, helen haywood said:

We had some interior painting done a couple of months ago…and the job was done so well we’ve hired him to paint the exterior.  Today they removed all the shutters prior to pressure washing.  This will take four weeks or so from start to finish…but the end result should be great!

And pictures of the girls when they weren’t staring at the workers through the windows…

201D889E-5886-426B-B4F7-C58DC4CDF9F9.jpeg

BAB44B0D-6B71-4301-B89F-4FC9F48B0976.jpeg

2 hours ago, h20skibum said:

We will be watching Lucy for a while when we return to Pennsylvania.  

Now it may have been a few years, but I seem to remember assuming this same position when school work was involved. 

EBA95E44-C96B-46F7-A008-3C16988654ED.thumb.jpeg.0bb979c3975eff25a7be19dc06311209.jpeg

More pretty kitties. They are such marvelous creatures.

• Like 8

Booked my Walgreens covid test this morning. They are still booking 7 days out. Plenty of availability.

Cruise Indy on the 17th.

Going with my first dining pkg😁

Hoping my 6 C&A drinks will sustain me. Usually leech off Laura, but I'm solo this trip

Cheers

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 15

7 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Lol, I got the message.☺️

So, I didn't post about it but this past winter I lost my cat, Lila, from a medical issue that came up suddenly out of no where. I don't want to re-live the details here. I swore that was the end of any more pets but then the right side of my brain took over from the left.

She is still very skiddish but hiding less and interacting more. It is a little hard starting  over and having to establish trust and bonding all over again. Of all the fur kids I've had over the years she has been the biggest challenge to win over. I usually have no problem connecting with animals that I encounter. All suggestions to help this process are welcome! Anyway, meet Jade.....

20220529_070725.thumb.jpg.6324f55f44ba71ed92d183f8befdea94.jpg

20220605_131524.thumb.jpg.2c9e2f12c1f0a051fd061591df2f898f.jpg

20220605_131844.thumb.jpg.6b947a4ec32aeb626e1dd7912b15a747.jpg

She is beautiful. 

• Thanks 1

@Ocean BoyJade is such a beauty!  💓

@helen haywood  Your house is so wonderful and I just love that you know so much history of it including all of the flora and fauna.  Growing up in Montclair, NJ we lived in old houses and I so appreciate all of the character and history of older homes.  So special.😃

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Well, the Rangers trip to Tampa was a bust, losing 2 games in a row. One of them in heart breaking fashion.  But I had a blast attending the games & exploring the city with my stepdaughter & her friends. Met some great people & plan on coming back. 

Had one of the best Pastrami sandwiches in a long time. In a British pub no less!! Who says you can only get good Pastrami from a NYC Jewish deli? 

20220606_192632.jpg

Where did you get that sandwich?

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Booked my Walgreens covid test this morning. They are still booking 7 days out. Plenty of availability.

Cruise Indy on the 17th.

Going with my first dining pkg😁

Hoping my 6 C&A drinks will sustain me. Usually leech off Laura, but I'm solo this trip

Cheers

I've had some good times on Indy. Enjoy! What is the itinerary?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I've had some good times on Indy. Enjoy! What is the itinerary?

3 day to Bahamas

My last trip on her was a 6 night out of PE. January 2008 I think. I remember Obama getting inaugurated 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Heartbreaking Graham. I am so sorry.

Sorry to hear about Lila. Jade is a wonderful addition to the family. She is so beautiful. I have no doubt she will warm up to you and be very loving. I think a piano would be an exciting place for a kitten to hang out in. 

Thank you Greg.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

3 day to Bahamas

My last trip on her was a 6 night out of PE. January 2008 I think. I remember Obama getting inaugurated 

I'm interested in what you think about going solo.  Do you know anyone else on the cruise?  

• Like 1

Totally unrelated to anything, I just finished John Grisham’s new book.  I am convinced he just spits them out in May due to contract terms!  It was three novellas in one book.  The middle one was actually a good, sad story but I think he saves his book books for October.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Thanks. The suddenness in a seemingly very healthy cat made it really hard.

I feel your pain.  I lost Mr. Kitty, a stray that adopted me, suddenly last July, and it still hurts.  The vet thinks he had a stroke.

• Like 10

On 10/24/2021 at 8:18 PM, DaniDanielle said:

The Judge’s List.  Yes, I enjoyed The Camino Island ones.  My favorite is still is first A Time To Kill.

23 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

Totally unrelated to anything, I just finished John Grisham’s new book.  

Thank you, Marietta. What's the name of the new book?

Long time ago I've made a note of your recommendations, and, for the last week, I've binged on A Time to Kill, and the Whistler and the Judge's list. I've saved them for a week when I want the time to fly by, Saturday cannot get here soon enough....

We're in total lockdown until the Covid test, and, if negative, the flight to Rome ....

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Thank you, Marietta. What's the name of the new book?

Long time ago I've made a note of your recommendations, and, for the last week, I've binged on A Time to Kill, and the Whistler and the Judge's list. I've saved them for a week when I want the time to fly by, Saturday cannot get here soon enough....

We're in total lockdown until the Covid test, and, if negative, the flight to Rome ....

I hope all goes well for you and you have a well deserved vacation!  Sparring Partners is the new one.  
I had to finish it quickly so my son in the hospital could read it.  We have read most of his books together!  Did you see the movie A Time to Kill?  Matthew McConaghy was the lead.

• Like 4

It's happy hour, so time for some drink experimentation of my own.  Micheline and I honeymooned in Hawaii and had a Mai Tai just about every night before dinner.  The taste was amazing.  I've had Mai Tai's in several other places since then, but they never tasted quite as good.  I always thought that was just because everything in Hawaii on a honeymoon is going to taste better.  After doing a little research, I found that there are several variations to the Mai Tai recipe, with some using various fruit juices.  Those are typically sweeter and might be the versions that I didn't like.  The original recipe only contains lime juice and relies instead on rum, orgeat, and orange Curacao. 

I bought some orgeat syrup at my local liquor store (it's a non-alcoholic sweetener made from almonds and orange flower water) and had most of the other ingredients at home (substituting Cointreau for Orange Curacao since it's hard to find).  I used light rum as the base rum rather than golden rum, so the final product was lighter in color.  Next time, I'll get a bottle of Anejo rum, which should make the cocktail more amber in color and punch up the taste a bit.  It was still pretty tasty with the light rum.  Here's the recipe that I followed for anyone interested:

The Original Mai Tai – A Couple Cooks

Cheers To You Raising Glass GIF - Cheers To You Cheers Raising Glass -  Discover & Share GIFs

• Like 7