Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I absolutely love Venice. I will never forget the first time I walked out of the train station and saw the city, love at first sight.

Enjoy Explorer. That ship was our first RCI cruise. I'd like to see some pictures if you are so inclined.

My family history goes back to Venice and the renaissance period in the 15th century.

We have stayed in Venice twice and sailed out of Venice 3 times on Splendour of the seas.

• Like 12

@sgmn Sue- I hope that you get your “wheels” back soon. There is a feeling of independence in driving, for sure.

My DH passed out on a flight to FL. Luckily, we were on the tarmac , so the pilot went back to the gate.

He was taken to a local emergency room, went through tests, found nothing . Was referred to neurologist and cardiologist. Found nothing.

Conclusion was dehydration.

In US , license is not suspended-drive at your own discretion.

Take care

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@Sea Dog Greg-Thank you for the information re:KC hotels etc.

I have made notes from your posts for my friend and I will give them to her soon when I see her in a few weeks.

I am replying a bit late to your posts as I have been settling our house after the painters finished painting our family room.

Catching up on CC this AM.

Take care

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

That's one weird thing here in Southwest Virginia, unlike when we lived in NJ were there were a lot. Haven't seen a mosquito here in Virginia for the entire 3 years we have lived here.

I think all the Virginia mosquitos congregate in southeast Virginia where I live.  

• Haha 9

@helen haywood @bobmacliberty we are also having central AC issues.  Tuesday was a beautiful, warm day but by mid afternoon the temperature in the house hit 80 so I had Andy turn on the AC.  It came right on, but didn’t really seem to be cooling the house much.  A few hours later the thermostat was still at 80.  The vents were blowing coolish,  not cold, air.  Andy went up in the attic where the ductwork is and found a pipe frozen. Turned off the system to let it thaw, then the next morning, he wrapped that pipe with foam (for some reason it wasn’t insulated).  Well, it’s still not cooling the house so we have someone coming next week to take a look.  From online research, Andy thinks it might need a refrigerant charge, which could possibly mean it has a refrigerant leak.  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

@Sea Dog Greg-Thank you for the information re:KC hotels etc.

I have made notes from your posts for my friend and I will give them to her soon when I see her in a few weeks.

I am replying a bit late to your posts as I have been settling our house after the painters finished painting our family room.

Catching up on CC this AM.

Take care

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

Happy to help. Let me know how their visit goes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Momof3gurlz said:

@helen haywood @bobmacliberty we are also having central AC issues.  Tuesday was a beautiful, warm day but by mid afternoon the temperature in the house hit 80 so I had Andy turn on the AC.  It came right on, but didn’t really seem to be cooling the house much.  A few hours later the thermostat was still at 80.  The vents were blowing coolish,  not cold, air.  Andy went up in the attic where the ductwork is and found a pipe frozen. Turned off the system to let it thaw, then the next morning, he wrapped that pipe with foam (for some reason it wasn’t insulated).  Well, it’s still not cooling the house so we have someone coming next week to take a look.  From online research, Andy thinks it might need a refrigerant charge, which could possibly mean it has a refrigerant leak.  

That's what happened to us.  A refrigerant leak meant that the AC unit couldn't keep up.  The repair guy had a device that could somehow detect leaks and thought that it was probably in the evaporator coil but couldn't be absolutely sure.  $1900 for a new coil plus $800 for install and then refrigerant recharge.  Fortunately, it seems to have done the trick. Hopefully, if you have a leak, it's a cheaper repair.

The part that bothered me is that the coil has a 10 year warranty and was only 7 years old.  The 10 year warranty only applies though to the original owner.  When the house gets sold, the warranty drops to 5 years for the new owner. 🤬

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I absolutely love Venice. I will never forget the first time I walked out of the train station and saw the city, love at first sight.

Enjoy Explorer. That ship was our first RCI cruise. I'd like to see some pictures if you are so inclined.

Our first was the Explorer too! OB, we have a lot of hobbies in common!😁

But never been to Venice. Just enjoying the pictures.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, derorim said:

I think all the Virginia mosquitos congregate in southeast Virginia where I live.  

We are 3400 ft above sea level,maybe they can't fly this high because their ears will pop. 

Edited by Jimbo
  • Haha 15

We haven’t had to put on the air conditioning, but I have a question- ours sits on the ground. Is there an advantage to having it on a bracket attached to the house? I guess it would be easier to clean around, but functionally?

We have a heavy tile roof which tends to keep the house comfortable, but last year the ac was on pretty much all summer due to wildfire smoke. Hoping for a better and slightly rainier summer!

• Like 3

@bobmacliberty Thanks for the Reddit suggestion.  I’ll check that out.  Re the AC, George had already cleared the condensation line and been advised to do the bleach/vinegar application when changing the filter.  He’s pretty handy so this must be something else…will report after service.  At least he called the company instead of continuing to fiddle with it himself…especially as we are heading into a three day weekend…. Why do all appliances and pets develop issues at 5 pm on a Friday?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I didn’t expect me 80’s weather, we visit nyc memorial weekend every year , should have packed shorts . Fun night yesterday stopped for a drink at “don’t tell your mama” who had a very talented piano player singer. Then dinner at Becco , I had the pasta special wife had branzino, they brought out the fish with head on after cooking to show us then prepared it , restaurant has a large list of wines for 40 dollars a bottle, we had two. Then a drink at swing 46 which has a large band, all three of these were on same block. Then on to our favorite bar Gallagher’s which is a hundred years old. 

image.jpeg.1816d36e54d5d93530df595b79781602.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 16

4 minutes ago, StanleyandGus said:

We haven’t had to put on the air conditioning, but I have a question- ours sits on the ground. Is there an advantage to having it on a bracket attached to the house? I guess it would be easier to clean around, but functionally?

We have a heavy tile roof which tends to keep the house comfortable, but last year the ac was on pretty much all summer due to wildfire smoke. Hoping for a better and slightly rainier summer!

We have 2 units(Compressors) on the ground outside and 2 air handlers in the basement. Each upstairs  and downstairs has its own compressor and air handler.

Compressor with all 4 sides open gets better flow for cooling and heating. Down here in the south they call them Heat Pumps,same units do both heating and cooling.

20240524_092910.jpg

• Like 6

Good afternoon.

It is partly sunny and 65°F at 14.53pm.

We are both feeling a little groggy so been lying on top of the bed watching Judge Judy all day.

I hope everyone else is safe and well.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, StanleyandGus said:

@jmh2006 where are you staying in Venice? Your photos are beautiful!

We are staying in the San Polo section.  It has been very convenient to everything.  Today we did the Doges Palace and St. Marks Basilica.  Then up the clock tower.  A little lunch and walked over the Grand Canal to the neighborhood that the Peggy Guggenheim and Dorso Duro district.  It has been a great day.  Pictures are not uploading very well.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, jmh2006 said:

We are staying in the San Polo section.  It has been very convenient to everything.  Today we did the Doges Palace and St. Marks Basilica.  Then up the clock tower.  A little lunch and walked over the Grand Canal to the neighborhood that the Peggy Guggenheim and Dorso Duro district.  It has been a great day.  Pictures are not uploading very well.  

Hopefully we will get a chance to visit Venice again definitely a very special place , also would love to return to Florence and Naples. When wife retires in two years I am sure we will do a nice trip. 

• Like 3

Was looking forward to a shower…but the AC guy called and is coming out in 30 minutes.  That trumps shower!!  He said he was here two years ago for a refrigerant leak and had George done anything about that.  Nope, that would have been the previous owner.  So I’m sure it will be pricey…but AC is a necessity in Florida!!!  (As long ago DeSoto referred to Florida as “an uninhabitable sand spit.”)

• Like 11
  • Haha 5

25 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

Was looking forward to a shower…but the AC guy called and is coming out in 30 minutes.  That trumps shower!!  He said he was here two years ago for a refrigerant leak and had George done anything about that.  Nope, that would have been the previous owner.  So I’m sure it will be pricey…but AC is a necessity in Florida!!!  (As long ago DeSoto referred to Florida as “an uninhabitable sand spit.”)

I hope it isn't too pricey of a fix!  My DH turned ours on a couple of nights ago because it was so hot.  I would have done it while he was at work, but we don't turn it on until he takes the cover off the compressor outside and checks for critters.  We had some mice move into the compressor in the past and they ate through some wires.  When we turned it on, we blew a capacitor which was a $300 part!  We fried the family when it blew.  We are on borrowed time with this AC anyways as we had it installed more than 20 years ago.  Fingers crossed we make it through another summer!

Hope you get cool air and a shower soon! 😄 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, StanleyandGus said:

@Jimbo well, we have 2 furnaces, so I guess it depends on priorities! 

I like what you have done with the shrubbery to hide the units.

It's a beautiful Japanese Maple that hides them both really well.

20240524_125819.jpg

• Like 13

4 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

It's a beautiful Japanese Maple that hides them both really well.

20240524_125819.jpg

That looks gorgeous. My mom has a large a/c condenser unit as well as full home generator right next to it on one side of her house. They built a little wall/fence around it but it doesn’t hide the units very well. I’ll suggest doing something like this to her.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I think Survivor has learned it lesson about bringing race into the mix. If that had continued I would not be watching.

I almost stopped. Even fast-forwarding was not enough to ignore it.  They still let one stupid complaint bother them, saying guys.

• Like 3