Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

25 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Most likely not the greatest place to ask this question but has anyone ever taken a Rick Steves  Tour?

We are looking to take  Best of Europe in 21 Days Tour in the fall of 2025

https://www.ricksteves.com/tours/europe/europe-21-days#tour-dates

The tour groups are small, 24 to 28 people which I think would make it nice.

We have canceled our side by side cruises we had planned for this May to Europe and Norway Fjords Cruises.

Just though for traveling that far to Europe we wanted to see and do more then we could ever do on cruise stops.

Granted this wouldn't get us to Norway, but at a later time we might do a cruise up that way in the future.

Anyone here ever taken one of their tours?

I haven’t however my friend used his recommendations for hotels in Paris and London years ago. The Paris hotel was fine however when she arrived at the London hotel at 10:30 pm she decided she couldn’t stay there .  

I’ve heard him speak at numerous travel shows and he even asked to join me at my table for lunch .  You probably know his travel philosophy and be prepared to pack light. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Arzeena said:

I am getting very excited because we are going on the Beyond for a 6 night cruise, in 12 days. Ports are Coco Cay, Grand Cayman and Bimini.

Never been to Bimini before. Could have chosen more "interesting" itinerary but this is what Celebrity allowed us to move our reservations to after cancelling a couple of Beyond sailings that would have had some date conflicts.
We have been on the Edge three times and I loved it. I hope ours is not a "rattling" room that people are complaining about.

But my major excitement is about the small possibility that Captain Kate will be on board.....either as Captain or cruiser. And those mini lemon meringue tarts at Bacio.......😁🥰 umm umm umm!

Please post about your experience on Beyond - we are booked on her in July.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Most likely not the greatest place to ask this question but has anyone ever taken a Rick Steves  Tour?

We have canceled our side by side cruises we had planned for this May to Europe and Norway Fjords Cruises.

Just though for traveling that far to Europe we wanted to see and do more then we could ever do on cruise stops.

Granted this wouldn't get us to Norway, but at a later time we might do a cruise up that way in the future.

Did you look into Road Scholars and O.A.T . ( Overseas Adventure Travels ) ? 

I have friends who have used both .  

27 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

They do suggest packing light and some of the hotels actually have washers and dryers where you are allowed to use and wash your own clothes.

Some of the hotels also might not have elevators or real good air conditioners systems........Is this a common thing for some of the hotels in Europe to not have elevators. I guess not all hotels there have AC either? Is this a common thing there?

We did a 14 night Grand European with Viking from Budapest to Amsterdam.  It was wonderful by the way.  

Most places in Europe do not have A/C at the places you tour or restaurants or shops. We were always so glad to get back to the boat to cool down.  Chain hotels have A/C but some smaller ones do not.  If you’re climbing stairs in a hotel I’d say you won’t have air. We were there during an unusual heat wave in June. Several days it was miserable hot with no relief until we got back to the boat. They don’t even run the busses A/C until they are in motion. It was in the 90’s with no A/C. No wonder the Europeans go to the beaches in August! 

I’m not trying to discourage you but it is different.  We’re looking at France and Switzerland next.  I might do Switzerland in the summer but not France.  I’d choose May or September instead for France. Better rain then heat for us. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Coralc said:

That sounds like what I have heard about foot surgery. It would be pretty awful. When my close co-worker had bunion surgery, they actually told her to bring headphones. and music. 

We were in a hot tub at a conference several years later. I held up my foot and asked if hers had looked like mine. She also said O-M-G. No. Hers weren't nearly that bad. The podiatrist also said mine were really bad. But my toes don't overlap, and wide shoes seem to be fine. I was actually scheduled for surgery, but I chickened out. 

It was nice of them to tell her to bring headphones. The least the hospital could’ve done was to supply some cheap earplugs for me.

6 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Interesting that you mention ear plugs. This past Christmas I got a new set of noise cancelling ear buds that connect by blue tooth to my phone. When I activate the noise cancelling it is a bit eerie how it blocks out the surrounding world. It actually bothers me to be so disconnected from my surroundings. I get concerned during flights that I'll miss an anouncement about something. I guess I have way too much FOMO. However, they would probably be great in the OR during surgery IF I were ever to be on the wrong side of the table rail.

I definitely understand about not wanting to miss out on some important announcement. When out and about or especially when walking I will only wear one ear bud. I want to hear what’s going on around me. I used to be able to hear cars coming up behind me, but now with electric cars it’s a little unnerving.

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Lisa always founds his show to be boring, but I loved them. I think your philosophy is correct in doing a land tour VS cruises and going to Norway separately. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Some of the hotels also might not have elevators or real good air conditioners systems........Is this a common thing for some of the hotels in Europe to not have elevators. YES.  I guess not all hotels there have AC either? Is this a common thing there? YES.

@Sea Dog

Greg, my 2 cents about different POV with old time friends in those days' "climate" --

Apart from my HS "gurlz" group, we're part of a group of 7 couples going back some 40+ years, and a smaller group of couples whom we met while being relocated to Brussels.

The "gurlz" and the "Brussels" -- we're all on the same page regarding the "situation" in our country.

Of the 7 couples, one of the "founders" (actually, he's a widower and was set up with another widow, turns out they're on the same page...) is against any compromise and peaceful solution. He's very dear to all of us, and early on, we decided not to talk in our meetings about the "situation". When, somehow, he or his SO start on their views and try their best to "convert" us, we listen and do not reply.

Apart of this "fault", he's on the same very page with all of us regarding justice and human rights, so there is that...

During the years, there were "attempts" to add more couples, but we quickly discovered that we were not on the same page with the new "additions", and those who initiated the "additions" were kindly requested to see them in "private"....

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, George C said:

We had a kitty that seemed very good about taking pills but would spit them out later.

They are tricksters.  We've given up on trying to give Marcel pills.  He will fight it, and it is scary.  Once we think we got it in, patooey!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

It was nice of them to tell her to bring headphones. The least the hospital could’ve done was to supply some cheap earplugs for me.

I definitely understand about not wanting to miss out on some important announcement. When out and about or especially when walking I will only wear one ear bud. I want to hear what’s going on around me. I used to be able to hear cars coming up behind me, but now with electric cars it’s a little unnerving.

These buds also have a setting to bring in outside sounds. So I can bike, listen to music, and still hear environmental sounds, like traffic, around me.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Lisa always founds his show to be boring, but I loved them. I think your philosophy is correct in doing a land tour VS cruises and going to Norway separately. 

I like his shows too.

• Like 1

After work this morning, I was able to have dinner with my half-brother (from my biological mother) and his wife, plus my son and his girlfriend.  My son and brother hadn't seen each other in about 7-8 years.  

I made the "boys" sit next to each other, because I knew that politically they were two peas in a pod and would talk to each other constantly.  I was right!  🤣  After we did the "midwestern goodbye" (which lasts 30+ minutes), the guys were still talking on the sidewalk outside the restaurant as the women all went in different directions to the three vehicles!  

• Like 13

On my 14hr flight Sydney to Vancouver, the young lady seated next to me lost one of her ear pods about an hour into the flight.  Between sleeps, she spent a lot of time fruitlessly searching for it - using her phone light & I added my phone light in the dark cabin.  Then 30mins before we landed the guy on the aisle seat finally woke up and moved into the aisle so she could search a bit more but before he moved, he pulled up one of the cushions under her seat and low and behold - there was that EarPod!

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

We did a 14 night Grand European with Viking from Budapest to Amsterdam.  It was wonderful by the way.  

Most places in Europe do not have A/C at the places you tour or restaurants or shops. We were always so glad to get back to the boat to cool down.  Chain hotels have A/C but some smaller ones do not.  If you’re climbing stairs in a hotel I’d say you won’t have air. We were there during an unusual heat wave in June. Several days it was miserable hot with no relief until we got back to the boat. They don’t even run the busses A/C until they are in motion. It was in the 90’s with no A/C. No wonder the Europeans go to the beaches in August! 

I’m not trying to discourage you but it is different.  We’re looking at France and Switzerland next.  I might do Switzerland in the summer but not France.  I’d choose May or September instead for France. Better rain then heat for us. 

We are looking at dates in October, no way would we do this type of tour in the summer.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

@Sea Dog

Greg, my 2 cents about different POV with old time friends in those days' "climate" --

Apart from my HS "gurlz" group, we're part of a group of 7 couples going back some 40+ years, and a smaller group of couples whom we met while being relocated to Brussels.

The "gurlz" and the "Brussels" -- we're all on the same page regarding the "situation" in our country.

Of the 7 couples, one of the "founders" (actually, he's a widower and was set up with another widow, turns out they're on the same page...) is against any compromise and peaceful solution. He's very dear to all of us, and early on, we decided not to talk in our meetings about the "situation". When, somehow, he or his SO start on their views and try their best to "convert" us, we listen and do not reply.

Apart of this "fault", he's on the same very page with all of us regarding justice and human rights, so there is that...

During the years, there were "attempts" to add more couples, but we quickly discovered that we were not on the same page with the new "additions", and those who initiated the "additions" were kindly requested to see them in "private"....

That’s a good strategy. Thanks for sharing.

1 hour ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Our last Mediterranean cruise was in September and it was way to hot , it was miserable visiting the Vatican where no shorts are allowed and no a/c or fans ,wife thought she would pass our . Other Mediterranean was in March and weather was perfect for walking around. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

We are looking at dates in October, no way would we do this type of tour in the summer.

I'm going may 2025 and staying over in rome. Im hearing mixed things like even if the hotel says it has ac it doesnt in may. By law the hotel cant turn on ac until june. 23 days plus 4 or 6 days in rome. Idk. I am worried about pick pockets and hearing stories. I dont speak other languages. Bus system. I've never been let alone by myself. I know I can get a hotel close to most things but I'm still worried my first time. Reading just worries me more. The reason for 4 or 6 days is from what I see flights cost more on friday, 4 days. I can stay 6 days and fly home on a sunday about the same price. 

My buyers called today out of the blue needing more time. I agreed to only 10 days. Not happy, kinda mad. I called before I made a deposit to move and she lied and said her rate locked and ready. Liar. Calling moving company to see if I can push it back a week. Waiting for call back. Ready for this to be over. She is from Vietnam and she and her co signer both dont seem to understand dates matter. Hes trying to BS me about how it's not unusual a few days late or a automatic extension 30 days. I said no such thing, contacts dont have 30 days extension built in. Hes making stuff up. He acts like hes a expert and doesnt know I know better. I'm really pissed off this morning after all his BS. I've paid to move, no one here and the house will be empty, lawn needs mowing etc.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

That’s a good strategy. Thanks for sharing.

My cousins in Lubbock and I also dont share the same politics. They say they are fringe, not even moderate in their views. We agreed to not discuss politics before I went and still talk but carefully.

I didnt ask what they mean by it and they dont tell me. If I can you will too. Just have to agree not to discuss. We tip toe at times like when we talk stocks. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NHProud said:

Did you look into Road Scholars and O.A.T . ( Overseas Adventure Travels ) ? 

I have friends who have used both .  

Can't seem to find a like tour at either of the 2 tour companies you named above like  what Rick Steves Tour offered....

Edited by Jimbo

15 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I'm going may 2025 and staying over in rome. Im hearing mixed things like even if the hotel says it has ac it doesnt in may. By law the hotel cant turn on ac until june. 23 days plus 4 or 6 days in rome. Idk. I am worried about pick pockets and hearing stories. I dont speak other languages. Bus system. I've never been let alone by myself. I know I can get a hotel close to most things but I'm still worried my first time. Reading just worries me more. The reason for 4 or 6 days is from what I see flights cost more on friday, 4 days. I can stay 6 days and fly home on a sunday about the same price. 

My buyers called today out of the blue needing more time. I agreed to only 10 days. Not happy, kinda mad. I called before I made a deposit to move and she lied and said her rate locked and ready. Liar. Calling moving company to see if I can push it back a week. Waiting for call back. Ready for this to be over. She is from Vietnam and she and her co signer both dont seem to understand dates matter. Hes trying to BS me about how it's not unusual a few days late or a automatic extension 30 days. I said no such thing, contacts dont have 30 days extension built in. Hes making stuff up. He acts like hes a expert and doesnt know I know better. I'm really pissed off this morning after all his BS. I've paid to move, no one here and the house will be empty, lawn needs mowing etc.

I know exactly what you are talking about when selling and moving and needing the money to make the purchase on the new house. Timing is everything.

• Like 3