What are we doing about HAIRCUTS?!!!!!!

pcur

I have short hair.  It needs to be cut at least every 4 weeks, or one side of my head looks like a ski slope.  It's clippered on the sides and back, and longer on top.  If it gets too long I look like, well, as my husband puts it, "you put your head in a clothes dryer on fluff dry cycle".  My head just keeps looking bigger and bigger and bigger.  Great if you live in Texas in 1965; not so good CA in 2020.

So, I finally worked up the nerve to cut it myself.  It took me 2 weeks to finally be brave enough.  I figured, "I've watched someone cut my hair for 45 years, so I can do this".  

I cut the top just fine, using straight manicur scissors.  I still don't have the nerve to go at the bottom with the clippers, but I will have to.  I'll look like I have a mullet in a few weeks.

I also cut my husband's hair, clippers and all.  Not the best, but the more choppy look was kinda edgey looking on him, and I like it!!

What about you?

• Like 1

I too have short hair and this morning, after washing it, I trimmed it a little bit. Will need to do the back at the neck soon too. I wonder how long I can go with just a bit of a trim from time to time! Fortunately, I have always colored my hair myself so not worried about that part. My neighbor sent me a text saying that we might have to do FaceTime so I could help her color her hair!

I have short hair too and I was supposed to have a hair cut on 3/24 but decided to cancel (my gal said the shop

was still open at that time).  So now it is April 9th...It has gotten longer but not enough that I want to cut anything.

Will see how I feel in another week or so.

Sally, I giggled out loud. 

my hair is also short (well, not right now!). I last had a haircut on 17 Feb before our 21 night cruise. I was due to have a cut when we came home, but we were on our 14 night isolation. I had a reschedule for 14 April but that has been pushed into May. Luckily I have very straight hair. My stylist said, don’t you dare cut your own!!!  I’m resorting to hair clips that my granddaughter left at our house to keep the (very) long bangs out of my eyes. It is not a great look!  Thank goodness for ball caps!!!

My hair is long so I can just throw it in a bun or pony tail.  I'm blessed like my Mom to not have grayed yet (she passed at 55 and I think she maybe had 3 gray hairs).

DH usually gets a 1 or 0 buzz cut and is just waiting it out - I think he feels he would be cheating on our stylist if I cut his hair 😉 I think his beard is bugging him more than anything and suspect he will need to trim the mustache at some point before this is done.

DS hair has gotten crazy looking, but he doesn't mind.  It's shorter but really thick so hard to tame as it's growing out.  DD has long hair like mine but thick.  Maybe next week daughter and I will start braiding each other 🙂 

I have thin, fine hair that doesn't hold a curl (unless it's the opposite of what I want).  There are lots of silver threads among the gold, but I do not colour it.  I usually get it cut every 5 weeks, so that should have been last week, but, of course, hair salons are closed til who knows when.

So far, I've resisted trimming my hair, but I will trim the back and the bangs soon.

Good thing everyone is stuck at home, because I don't need anyone to see me.

Stay home and stay safe.

Sounds like all of us have "hair cutting phobia".  😄

I am here to say that it can be overcome.  I took the hair clippers, a mirror, a comb, and a spray bottle of water out to the garage.  Took a deep breath, and clipped #4 on the sides and back.  I had to keep running into the 2nd bathroom to get a good look at the back, and had a perfect, tiny little duck tail right in the middle.  Seems that's the "blind spot" for reaching around with the clippers.  Took care of that, and tried to trim the bottom.  

Mr. Pcur will have to do that.  The bottom sides are neat and tidy, but one side is about 1-inch higher!

All-in-all, with the demarkation from cut to clipped being a teeny choppy, it's an OK haircut.

Our County just announced we are to stay at home until 5/1, so no professional haircut until May.  My last one was around 2/18. 

My head is looking normal sized now!!

Edited by pcur
  • Like 2

I now appreciate DH's barber more than ever.  I tried tidying up his hair last week; it's a tiny bit better, but not good at all.  He's still quite "puffy".  

I have long, straight hair, and had a cut done while on our January Seaside cruise.  It must have been a really good cut, because the ends still look good!  My bangs need to be trimmed every 10 days or so, so DH has done that for me for years.

The good thing is that we are all in this together.  Nobody we run into taking a walk or buying groceries is going to look dazzling!

• Like 2

quote:

"The good thing is that we are all in this together"

Echo.....….echo...…...echo.....a truer statement was never made.  And we need to remember it. 

• Like 2

My hair is shoulder length, no bangs, so it can just grow.  I'm mostly wearing it in a ponytail these days anyway because no one sees it at home and who cares what it looks like when I go to the grocery store.   I did happen to have an appointment in early March before all the shutdowns started so it was trimmed up about a month ago.  I'll probably be getting the clippers out soon for my boys though.  One already said he just wants me to just give him a buzz cut soon.

My hair is very thick and mostly straight with an annoying bit of wave in some places (which shows up as a cowlick if cut too short :classic_blink:).

I generally keep it at about chin length, but my stylist does a lot of work to thin it (otherwise looks too heavy at the ends). I also have always had bangs because my hair grows forward and being so thick it just falls into my eyes. 

My last haircut was early February, about a week before I left for my Italy trip (and after that I have been stuck at home). I just let it grow for the most part but have done a little tidying of the edges in front. It looks like it will be mid-May at earliest before I can even think about an appointment -- by that time it will probably be touching my shoulders!

I have always trimmed my own bangs between haircuts, so that's no problem. I can also touch up the color myself. 

image.png.a6daff24381f360662310581a8bb7316.png

• Like 3

I was reading about items on line that have had a big effect from the virus...first they said it was sanitizers, then the

toilet paper...and now it seems there is a big amount of hair coloring products that are flying off the shelves.

Hopefully we will be able to find a rainbow at the end of our journey TOGETHER.

See the source image

• Like 1

I gave myself a trim a few weeks ago. My appt. was supposed to be 4/1 and I went longer than usual because I was timing it to an upcoming cruise.  My hair length is almost to the shoulders.  I cut about a 1/2 inch.  It came out pretty even.  If people decide to try a trim, here are some tips.  

Cut your hair wet.  Cut small sections at a time, say from the front of your face to the front of your ear.  Use part of the cut section as a guide for the next section.  Only trim a small amount of hair.  Don't cut layers, only trim the ends.  You won't mess up your whole head.  And to another poster, please don't use manicure scissors.  They are too dull and not made for hair.  If you don't have hair shears, kitchen or sewing shears are better.  At least they are sharp.  

I trimmed my hair this morning after my shower.

I decided to let the bangs grow for a while, but I hate the hair sticking out at odd angles at the back of my neck.  So, I trimmed about 1/2 an inch with scissors.  I used a hand mirror so I could see the back, and went at it.  Then I used my husband's razor to get the hair on my neck. 

Hubby says it doesn't look too bad!

Maybe I'll try to trim his tomorrow.

16 minutes ago, sailing canary said:

Genuinely curious . Why do Americans call - what other nations call a fringe - bangs????

Good question----I am 62 and they have always been known as bangs to me. I always had them as a child too.

I decided to do a search and came up with this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangs_(hair)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sailing canary said:

Genuinely curious . Why do Americans call - what other nations call a fringe - bangs????

Good question and I have no idea why.🤷‍♀️I noticed that we say flu shot while in the UK they say flu jab. Or we say take out and in other countries it’s take away. So now back to haircuts etc. if anyone is looking for hair color, try a beauty supply or Ulta. Ulta is only selling on line now, however.

14 hours ago, purduemom1 said:

\ if anyone is looking for hair color, try a beauty supply or Ulta. Ulta is only selling on line now, however.

Big box stores (Walmart, Target) and many grocery and pharmacy chains carry hair color as well.  I'm sure places like Ulta carry "fancier" brands but desperate times call for desperate measures.  (I got lucky with good genes....at 54 I have only a few stray grays so still don't color my hair regularly, outside of occasional highlights.)

6 minutes ago, waterbug123 said:

Big box stores (Walmart, Target) and many grocery and pharmacy chains carry hair color as well.  I'm sure places like Ulta carry "fancier" brands but desperate times call for desperate measures.  (I got lucky with good genes....at 54 I have only a few stray grays so still don't color my hair regularly, outside of occasional highlights.)

Hi Meg, I have never colored my hair and I can see some grey here and there but nothing major (maybe I have good

genes too). At 62, I feel no need to start coloring it.  But I do agree with you, all the stores sell hair care products.

17 hours ago, sailing canary said:

And now a reverse across-the-pond question -- why is a sweater called a "jumper" in the UK?  (I know there are a ton of linguistic differences, but keeping this limited to fashion to stay on topic, lol...)

My last cut was in January, but I had mermaid color put in 3/23--the day before salons were ordered closed and the day before I found out I was exposed to the virus by a coworker. (I tested negative) Luckily, my hair is very long and I only trim it 3-4 times a year. No bangs either. I'll be ok, I mostly pin it up somehow.

Hubby has grown his white hair out over the last 18 months or so and is just letting it go.