Are cruises really going out again starting mid-May?

17 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

...which brings up a whole other ball of wax as to how that group might continue to cruise or travel in general, since I can foresee the land tour companies also applying whatever new guidelines and policies are sure to come along. 

I have thought about that.  I am betting that there is gonna be a squeeze for anyone refusing vaccination for other than a true medical reason.

Such as no public school, no cruises, no vacations, no Disney, no Walmart, etc.  You aren’t vaccinated and you don’t have a card that states you have a documented medical reason to not be vaccinated you will be treated like a second class citizen.

Likely health insurance premiums would be considerable.  Refusal of life insurance. Bottom line is that for those that won’t vaccinate there will be financial and social consequences.   There maybe a “vaccination tax” in that those that don’t vaccinate have a higher Medicaid tax or something along those lines.   There are ways that the government and businesses can put a squeeze on people who are against vaccination.  

Edited by rimmit

14 minutes ago, Hobby3333 said:

When is RCCL going to inform us when they are canceling more cruises?

Rumor mill is sometime today, going off of what Vicki Freed said yesterday during the webinar for TA's. Doing it in 30 day chunks still and Aug will prob be the first European sailing. 

22 minutes ago, Hobby3333 said:

When is RCCL going to inform us when they are canceling more cruises?

Today. Celebrity just announced via a webinar with TAs they are suspending cruises until 11 June 2020. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, bgoff60 said:

Idea...review your post in 2 weeks and see how you feel about it then.  I work in an EOC and have a different view point.  I think that people will likely be cruising in less then 3 months... Just my 2 cents...YMMV

I agree. There are many people who seem to think keeping everything shut down is the answer. Wait for the poverty,suicides and other economically associated deaths to appear. They wont be listed as covid 19 deaths but they will far outnumber the covid 19 deaths. The next couple months you will see this fall out. Along with protesting of governors who have forgotten the united states has a constitution and the people have civil rights. Look at michigan.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, rtazz17 said:

I agree. There are many people who seem to think keeping everything shut down is the answer. Wait for the poverty,suicides and other economically associated deaths to appear. They wont be listed as covid 19 deaths but they will far outnumber the covid 19 deaths. The next couple months you will see this fall out. Along with protesting of governors who have forgotten the united states has a constitution and the people have civil rights. Look at michigan.

No one is saying keep everything shut down.  At least I am not.  In my opinion starting May 1 I think states with low rates should start to open back up.  There is a BIG difference in wanting to open up restaurants and elective surgical procedures and startIng up the cruise lines.  One could be considered prudent the other action would be just negligent.

If the cruise lines were to start cruising tomorrow,  that is flat negligence.  There is a known danger that kills people and causes significant amount of economic damage and utilization of health resources every time a quarantine/outbreak occurred (which was becoming very common place toward the end of March).  For the cruise lines to knowingly cruise despite the KNOWN dangers, and against a CDC recommendation is just negligent.  

People are up in arms calling negligence over the tour in New Zealand on the Ovation if the Seas in which a volcano that erupted and killed many of tourists on that island. People state it was RCIs responsibility to properly vet the tour to make sure it was safe.   If people are upset over an act of god,  what are cruisers going to do over something that is a clearly known danger that has occurred over 20 times since February.  Smells like more lawsuits to me.

They are KNOWINGLY sticking people on a known incubator for Covid in the middle of a pandemic.  If that isn’t negligent I don’t know what is. There are more data points that I can count regarding cruise ships (And aircraft carriers) and covid than I can count.  Without doing any scientific studies, I can officially say CRUISING DURING THE COVID PANDEMIC IS DANGEROUS.

No one on this specific thread (that I am aware of) is saying keep the economy shut down.  We are all for cruising, SAFELY.  However, cruising is a real danger at this point in time, and the government just needs to protect us and others from ourselves. 

Edited by rimmit
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

That looks like something for a TA. Are you a TA now?  I thought you had a really good one???

Picture quoted for effect. 

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

John has all the connections. I saw it on twitter but did not see that screen shot.

Found it on the FB STAR page. One of the admins is a TA. I'm a shameless thief

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The site says;

While our goal was to resume operations for most of our ships on May 12th, 2020, we will now resume our operation June 12th for the majority of our fleet. (Canadian ports will remain closed until July 1, 2020, due to port closures.)

30 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

If you had an affected cruise, like me, you should have received both a text and an email today, telling you that the suspension of cruises is now through June 11.

Haven’t received a text or email but I was able to cancel my May 24th cruise through RCL notice. 

I do not understand why people do not believe experts.  It isn't safe to leave your homes yet-   Thanks to the heroes, who are helping us get through this horrible situation.  Some people do not listen or accept science.  So sad!  People who leave their home too soon will get the virus or become carriers and be responsible for the death of many more.  Please stay home, unless a true emergency.  Check in on your friends, neighbors and family- Remember to wash your hands, wear masks and gloves if out in public.

I hope that we can cruise again soon- but not too soon to put others and ourselves in harms way. Don't be selfish!

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Cruise a holic said:

I do not understand why people do not believe experts.

There are a lot of experts out there with a wide range of recommendations, like some in Sweden or Holland who opted to not shutdown their entire country.