If You Are Scared To Cruise, Don't Cruise.

16 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

I take massive issue with those that want to cruise "right now, no matter what, because it's their life". What about my life?

It's. My. Life. 

It's now or never. 

I ain't going to live forever. 

I just want to live while I'm alive. 

Sorry, just had to get that out. But, yeah, obey whatever social distancing guidelines are out there 🙂

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, mek said:

Princess sent an e-mail to me this morning outlining their plans; however it was disturbing to me that certain things didin't seem to be required - just highly suggested, like washing hands and using sanitizer.

Oh.  Highly suggested.  That'll get 'er done.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

It's. My. Life. 

It's now or never. 

I ain't going to live forever. 

I just want to live while I'm alive. 

Sorry, just had to get that out. But, yeah, obey whatever social distancing guidelines are out there 🙂

But what you do can impact others lives.  

So, the only taxes anyone pays are on a tax return? 

Absolutely not. People pay social security & Medicare payroll tax (if working for someone else), self-employment taxes (if self employed), property taxes, sales taxes, taxes on gasoline, etc. That is why I said (at least income taxes) in my comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

1 hour ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

You may be correct however. The ships have been super cleaned and a lot of precautions are now in place. So with that, YES we would go immediately. I had two cancelled because of the virus. My next one booked is September and we are anxious to go. In the process of booking one for July 17. Hope it does not get cancelled.

What cautions are in place?  I have read a lot of speculation about masks and gloves but nothing written in stone. Also, it only takes one infected person to turn that super clean ship into a petri dish.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

What cautions are in place?  I have read a lot of speculation about masks and gloves but nothing written in stone. Also, it only takes one infected person to turn that super clean ship into a petri dish.

Try. Doctors note, temperature checks before boarding, as for washing your hands and using sanitizers. That should be something no one should have to tell you to do. Sanitizing instead of just cleaning all the railings, your bathrooms etc. remember more people die from the common flu than this virus so far this year. A lot more.

Stats as of April 6, 2020 USA

39-55 million came down with the flu

Only 170 million got the vaccine or about half of the US population.

400,000 Hospitalized

63,000 Deaths

162 were children.

So knowing this. How many taking a Cruise before this virus were concerned about catching the deadly flu. I bet a real small percentage. We always wipe down anything we will touch every day in our cabin with a disinfectant towelette.

Before eating and after we have always washed our hands, that we learned when we were children.

When we walk around the ship we always use the hand sanitizers. No one needs to tell us to do so.

So taking a cruise right now we have have no qualms at all about doing so.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Try. Doctors note, temperature checks before boarding, as for washing your hands and using sanitizers. That should be something no one should have to tell you to do. Sanitizing instead of just cleaning all the railings, your bathrooms etc. remember more people die from the common flu than this virus so far this year. A lot more.

400,000 Hospitalized

63,000 Deaths

162 were children.

So knowing this. How many taking a Cruise before this virus were concerned about catching the deadly flu. I bet a real small percentage. We always wipe down anything we will touch every day in our cabin with a disinfectant towelette.

Before eating and after we have always washed our hands, that we learned when we were children.

When we walk around the ship we always use the hand sanitizers. No one needs to tell us to do so.

Very impressive sounding, but completely devoid of relevance.

- many have no symptoms or fever though they carry the virus; it is not a reliable screening tool

- what YOU do to clean your room has NO impact on what is happening in other areas

- what YOU learned about washing your hands does not impact what others do

- there was not as much concern over other flu strains partially because they were better understood; new aspects about this virus are discovered daily

- doctor's note? like the one people get for their fraudulent handicapped hanger or excuse an absence from school?

- by next Tuesday, as many Americans will have died from COVID 19 as Americans died in the entire Vietnam War

- stopping the war ended those deaths - what will end COVID 19, a disinfectant towelette?

- and, my personal favorite, using all the above precautions other than taking passenger temperature (not near effective for screening COVID 19) cruiselines, in spite of their best efforts, cannot prevent or truly control a Norovirus outbreak! It got me and dozens more cruisers on the January 20 Grandeur cruise. How do you expect the same protocol to prevent COVID 19?

Avoiding facing the reality put our nation behind the 8 ball in this crisis to begin with. Decisions we make don't only affect ourselves; they have an impact upon others. 

Enjoy your cruise; be safe; isolate when you return.

US Navy

Vietnam Veteran

Hospital Ship USS Repose

USS Brinkley Bass

Edited by John Reid
brief addition
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, John Reid said:

Very impressive sounding, but completely devoid of relevance.

- many have no symptoms or fever though they carry the virus; it is not a reliable screening tool

- what YOU do to clean your room has NO impact on what is happening in other areas

- what YOU learned about washing your hands does not impact what others do

- there was not as much concern over other flu strains partially because they were better understood; new aspects about this virus are discovered daily

- doctor's note? like the one people get for their fraudulent handicapped hanger or excuse an absence from school?

- by next Tuesday, as many Americans will have died from COVID 19 as Americans died in the entire Vietnam War

- stopping the war ended those deaths - what will end COVID 19, a disinfectant towelette?

- and, my personal favorite, using all the above precautions other than taking passenger temperature (not near effective for screening COVID 19) cruiselines, in spite of their best efforts, cannot prevent or truly control a Norovirus outbreak! It got me and dozens more cruisers on the January 20 Grandeur cruise. How do you expect the same protocol to prevent COVID 19?

Avoiding facing the reality put our nation behind the 8 ball in this crisis to begin with. Decisions we make don't only affect ourselves; they have an impact upon others. 

Enjoy your cruise; be safe; isolate when you return.

US Navy

Vietnam Veteran

Hospital Ship USS Repose

USS Brinkley Bass

Thank you for your service in both Vietnam and on this thread.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

400,000 Hospitalized

63,000 Deaths

162 were children.

How many of the 39-55 million (that got the flu) had the flu shot beforehand?

Asking for a friend.  Thx!

11 minutes ago, atgood said:

How many of the 39-55 million (that got the flu) had the flu shot beforehand?

Asking for a friend.  Thx!

depends upon the year.  Since the flu vaccine for a given year is prepared based upon expected strains it varies depending upon how well they pick the strains for that year.  Usually the vaccine will range between 45% and 65% effective.  However, even when it is not effective in preventing the illness, it does have benefit in often reducing the intensity of the symptoms.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, npcl said:

depends upon the year.  Since the flu vaccine for a given year is prepared based upon expected strains it varies depending upon how well they pick the strains for that year.  Usually the vaccine will range between 45% and 65% effective.  However, even when it is not effective in preventing the illness, it does have benefit in often reducing the intensity of the symptoms.

I agree - the real question is of the people that were hospitalized or died, how many had the vaccine?

4 hours ago, mek said:

Princess sent an e-mail to me this morning outlining their plans; however it was disturbing to me that certain things didin't seem to be required - just highly suggested, like washing hands and using sanitizer.

Suggested, like dressing up on formal night?

Soon there will be threads on "why should I wash my hands, it's my vacation!"

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Seville2Cabo said:

I agree - the real question is of the people that were hospitalized or died, how many had the vaccine?

Have not seen any place there that stat is maintained on actual numbers.

Admission to ICU

a 2014 study indicated that having a flu shot reduced a child's chance of needing flu related intensive care by 74%. 

a 2018 study indicated that it reduced the risk of older adults to intensive care by 82%.

Death

a 2017 study indicated that  flu vaccination reduced the risk of flu-associated death by half (51 percent) among children with underlying high-risk medical conditions and by nearly two-thirds (65 percent) among healthy children.

a 2007 study indicates that for those over 65 a flu shot reduces risk of death by 48%.

Will see if I can find anything else in the literature on the NIH database.

Edited by npcl

14 minutes ago, npcl said:

Have not seen any place there that stat is maintained on actual numbers.

Admission to ICU

a 2014 study indicated that having a flu shot reduced a child's chance of needing flu related intensive care by 74%. 

a 2018 study indicated that it reduced the risk of older adults to intensive care by 82%.

Death

a 2017 study indicated that  flu vaccination reduced the risk of flu-associated death by half (51 percent) among children with underlying high-risk medical conditions and by nearly two-thirds (65 percent) among healthy children.

a 2007 study indicates that for those over 65 a flu shot reduces risk of death by 48%.

Will see if I can find anything else in the literature on the NIH database.

Thanks for the information npcl.  

How about for the young adults up to age 65?  Where are those numbers, especially for the healthy ones?

5 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

400,000 Hospitalized

63,000 Deaths

162 were children.

Of course we all live with risk every time we do pretty much anything, but trying to compare statistics outside of proper context is challenging.  

First, CDC numbers are all in ranges.  Deaths, for instance, are estimated at between 24,000 to 62,000 for the 2019-2020 flu season.  On the low end, that is HALF the current COVID-19 death tool, and even looking at a mid-range number puts the loss at a similar level.

Regardless of which number you want to believe, the fact is 1) the COVID-19 epidemic is ongoing, with death tolls increasing, and 2) this death rate has occurred despite the most aggressive actions any of us have seen, including the closing of entire industries and a huge portion of the population rarely leaving home. 

If, despite all of this mitigation, COVID-19 can cause fatality numbers that are comparable to the flu, and likely to be worse, its hard to argue that the risk assessment one makes with regard to flu can be directed compared to COVID-19.  

I do agree that a lot of the other preventative steps you mentioned are smart ideas, even before the current problems.  I wish you safe cruising.

Edited by AL3XCruise
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DrD said:

Suggested, like dressing up on formal night?

Soon there will be threads on "why should I wash my hands, it's my vacation!"

you think that’s bad... just wait for “I’ve heard they are doing temperature checks on my cruise. My husband was 101 last night, but I’m sure it’s just nerves and he doesn’t have Covid. Is it true you can beat the temperature checks by taking aspirin? How many and how long before boarding. Thnx “

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/21/2020 at 5:03 PM, jndsilver31 said:

a friend once told me there are 3 things guaranteed in this life: taxes, death and concrete cracking

My family was in the concrete delivery biz for many years.  I once had a contractor tell me there were two types of concrete.  Cracked concrete and concrete that’s going to crack.  

Not all concrete cracks, but it does a lot of the times.  The best you can really do is to control the cracking with proper joints.  

On 4/22/2020 at 1:38 PM, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

400,000 Hospitalized

63,000 Deaths

162 were children.

I will be doing the same!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...