If You Are Scared To Cruise, Don't Cruise.

I don't know how I would have made it through today had I not seen your advice.

Cruisers who are not willing to cruise until things calm down or are assured reasonable measures are being taken to at least attempt to protect their health (and their family's health) aren't "scared" necessarily.  But if they are scared, fear is at times a very good instinct to possess.

I'm not "scared" of a snake and I even go so far as to relocate corn snakes and other nonvenomous ones I find around the aviaries.  But I'm sure not going to capture and relocate a water moccasin or copperhead.  I don't want to be bitten and that's just being careful and respectful of the danger.  It's not necessarily being scared although I do have a fear of what can happen when either of these snakes strike.

I feel the same way about this horrible virus.  I'm not willing to put myself or my family and especially my animals through the experience.

I don't think that is fear I just think that is remembering there are consequences for every action I choose to take.

• Like 11

For some, it's not the personal fear that's the problem.

If I go on a cruise, will I be allowed to go back to work?  Others read the scary notes from people who think that all cruises are the same disgusting poor CDC scores that one ship got, once.  So even if the ship is run safely, their impression is that I am now not safe to return to work.

The other thing I hope is that the odds of people lying on the health quiz goes to zero.  Been on too many cruises that either had or was right after a noro outbreak that had to be brought on board by a passenger.  So we know people will lie about COVID 19 even if they know they had/have it.  We don't need that on top of the long time it takes to show symptoms.

Lastly- a country's response- Florida has been pretty poor on accepting cruise ships with sick people.  In spite of how they see this outbreak of being serious or not.  I may want to cruise and have no fear, but I'm not so sure Florida would react well if one person gets sick on the ship.

All of that says that the equation is not a simple fear- yes/no.  Not what so ever.

• Like 3

You can thank the media for all the paranoia. When they sit there and report how cruise ships are nothing but floating petrey(sp?)dishes. Thats not good!!

I can guarentee that i wont be cruising anytime soon.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

I feel the same way about this horrible virus.  I'm not willing to put myself or my family and especially my animals through the experience.

People forget if they get sick with COVID19, they put the 1st Responders in harms way. It matters not if those 1st Responders are scared. They have no choice but to risk infection by treating patients. 

In my opinion 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

We won’t be cruising until there is either a vaccine or antibody test to show we have been exposed, until multiple cruises have sailed for 2-3 months with no quarantines and our workplaces lift the 14 day quarantine period for returning to work after traveling on a cruise or to a foreign country. We don’t want to get stuck on a ship for 2-3 weeks because one person on the ship tested positive and also don’t want to take 3 weeks of leave just to take a 1 week cruise even if everything goes well.

• Like 1

You can't cruise.  There are no cruises.  By the time cruises resume, there will be many changes from what we knew cruises to be.  If my state "opens up", it will not be like it was.  Everything will change, and we won't know what we are willing to do until we see what it is.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, teacherman said:

You can't cruise.  There are no cruises.  By the time cruises resume, there will be many changes from what we knew cruises to be.  If my state "opens up", it will not be like it was.  Everything will change, and we won't know what we are willing to do until we see what it is.

I agree with you about how we will be living our daily lives - at least for the short term and after that who knows? What I'm will to do that is necessary at home and what  I'm willing to do to cruise are two different things.  Cruising may change to the point where many of us will simply will say, "No thanks," and move onto something else. 

Edited by mek
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, ToroAzul said:

There are no guarantees in life. 

Some people confuse scared with common sense caution. 

I'm not scared of fire and will cook over an open flame and enjoy a campfire.

But common sense tells me not to run into a burning building. It guarantees I'll get hurt.

• Like 9

My feelings on the original statement, when cruises do resume, I hope cruisers won't be behaving irrationally. Like the other day, a guy was standing near the bike rack by the beach and he practically leapt out of my way and announced "I'm trying not to be a statistic." People who are afraid to that extent will become annoying real fast.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, goldfish65 said:

My feelings on the original statement, when cruises do resume, I hope cruisers won't be behaving irrationally. Like the other day, a guy was standing near the bike rack by the beach and he practically leapt out of my way and announced "I'm trying not to be a statistic." People who are afraid to that extent will become annoying real fast.

Unfortunately in the short term that's going to be inevitable. In order to avoid that just be cognizant of personal space. 

• Like 2