Princess new health guidelines..will X follow suit!

hcat

1 hour ago, Babr said:

I am sorry, too, for the callous responses of others here. You don’t deserve that.

1 hour ago, yorky said:

Amen, some people need to get a grip, lockdown or not.

Do you really believe what the poster originally said?  That the cruise line doesn't want them to sail so that people don't catch cancer or COPD from them?  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, drewski1 said:

because my COPD does not affect anyone else only me. that means i may catch something from another person but i am not a danger to anyone. if i am willing to accept those consequences, thats on me. why should anybody worry about that. I AM NOT THE PROBLEM. my wife has terminal cancer and can be denied cruising. i am pretty sure she is not going to give anyone else her cancer. but her wish is to cruise the world beforw she dies and they will take that away. maybe i should rethink where we spend all of our money. and if she catches something, she may die?? don't think she is really worried about that either

As much as the cruise line is looking to protect others, in this case rightly or wrongly they are looking to protect themselves. Now if you are willing to lie just to go on a cruise and are not worried about the consequences due to your age or condition, well that’s your decision and on you. If you wish to put yourself first over others and the cruise line, knock yourself out. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

Do you really believe what the poster originally said?  That the cruise line doesn't want them to sail so that people don't catch cancer or COPD from them?  

That is not what he said. His point was that he and his wife are NOT threats to others, but they may be denied a form of travel they have enjoyed because the cruise line is concerned, and rightly so, that such passengers are at a higher risk of serious outcomes should they become infected with Covid-19.

If the poster in question is willing to take that risk in order share a dream with his wife, perhaps, for the last time, why would it bother you? Are you concerned the ship might be diverted to disembark them, disrupting your vacation? Are you afraid he’ll take up medical facilities you might need?

Those are the callous responses I had in mind when I posted. Why is it necessary to be cruel to someone who already has a heavy load?

Edited by Babr

10 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I'm feeling pulled in that direction as well.  Especially after reading a thread on RCL board regarding the wearing of face masks.  I just don't want to cruise that way.  I know things will have to be different and that might be ok for anyone who has never cruised before, but for us veteran cruisers, IDK if the new normal, whatever that may be, will be all that enticing.

If face masks is the way they are heading along with all the other restrictions, coupled with the well documented risks then I too will be out. So many other vacation options out there.

• Like 2

There is one key difference that I see between what Princess is proposing and what Celebrity is demanding now.  Princess is using the term "severe chronic disease"  Celebrity use the term "chronic diseases".  There is a big difference. Our doctors have indicated that their concern over signing Celebrity's Fit to Sail form is the wording, not our current health.  I have coranary artery disease, I am  a type 2 diabetic. Those are chronic diseases.  They don't every go away but I am in good health, all of my checkups are good, every good  in fact and my doctors encourage me to travel and be active." get out and do as much as you can and do it now".  I hear it all of the time.  I would love to see Celebrity word their from that way so the doctor has some options.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Babr said:

If the poster in question is willing to take that risk in order share a dream with his wife, perhaps, for the last time, why would it bother you? Are you concerned the ship might be diverted to disembark them, disrupting your vacation? Are you afraid he’ll take up medical facilities you might need?

Those are the callous responses I had in mind when I posted. Why is it necessary to be cruel to someone who already has a heavy load?

I don't really care if they're on the cruise one way or the other.  I was simply explaining that the policy is not about punishing people with health conditions, which is exactly what the poster is saying.  I do object to the notion that someone who is sick or old or fill-in-the-blank is entitled to special treatment.  There is more than a little selfishness expressed in the subsequent answers.  Basically, "I'll do what I want and they can try to stop me."  Is that how you'd want to be treated at your job?  Why do you think it's ok for someone to treat the staff that way?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

I don't really care if they're on the cruise one way or the other.  I was simply explaining that the policy is not about punishing people with health conditions, which is exactly what the poster is saying.  I do object to the notion that someone who is sick or old or fill-in-the-blank is entitled to special treatment.  There is more than a little selfishness expressed in the subsequent answers.  Basically, "I'll do what I want and they can try to stop me."  Is that how you'd want to be treated at your job?  Why do you think it's ok for someone to treat the staff that way?

This is very different from what you said in the post I responded to; nevertheless, I don’t see anything about punishment or special treatment in his responses. Perhaps you are reading it through the lens of your own experiences.

Up until now there have been plenty of people who continued to travel and enjoy what life has to offer while they were still able to do it. The only difference now is that they are getting extra scrutiny. While there are certainly people with the attitude you describe, I don’t think that is the case here.

I don’t know how old you are; but try to realize that as people get older, their lives change in ways they can’t control. They lose a lot of things they don’t want to give up. It is not about entitlement or selfishness. It is about anger and frustration - maybe even grief- about loss of life as it used to be. Try to have a little compassion. You’ll be there one day.

If Celebrity, or any cruise line, adopts a change to their policies, they ought to allow all of those that are holding an FCC to switch to the 100% refund option, regardless of age.  If underlying conditions present a risk, and/or the person must disclose any medical condition and be denied boarding, what good is an FCC? It is worthless. While having more stringent requirements in the future is understandable, it is a change to the terms and conditions I had booked under.  If I am unable to rebook in the future that should not create a financial windfall for Celebrity (keep my FCC value and still have a cabin that they can sell on open market)

Edited by LMaxwell
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, downsmead said:

I thought the option was there to convert a FCC to a refund until a certain date, written in the FAQ.

9DC7EF01-F51E-4B8B-B0A9-EBE05D2BB90D.png

Yes, that is correct! You can change your mind until you use the FCC or before the expiration date.

just as a final note to all of this health stuff. many years ago on NCL, my wife was diagnosed with Norwalk virus given a shot, confined to our cabin was knocked out for 2 days, fed chicken broth only. when we got back from our Canadian cruise we went to our Dr. she had experienced a Gallbladder attack. mis-diagnosed from the getgo. my confidence level in the medical teams aboard ships is not the highest. i understand the person who said i may take up the bed that "THEY" may need is their priority, i'm ok with that. but i pray for safe travels for all of you. side note. i was supposed to be on Celebrity to alaska on june 2nd. it was our 35th anniversary cruise taking all of our children and grandchildren, 16 of us. obviously cancelled. we booked airfare thru X. We opted for 100% refund due to wife's cancer, not knowing how long she has. they owe us over $21000.00 as a refund and i was paid in full. how long do i have to wait for that? can't even get an answer, and my TA is in New York and closed up due to Covid. part of my situation is ANGER, and to the rest of you, i apologise, to others, just go away, you have no idea.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Miaminice said:

Yes, that is correct! You can change your mind until you use the FCC or before the expiration date.

Yes that's correct for FCC issued due to Celebrity canceling a cruise on you (Suspended Sailings).  

Many are upset that they wouldn't be able to get refunds for FCC's issued if they cancelled with Cruise with Confidence program prior to Celebrity canceling the cruise or FCC issued for NRD cancelled prior to final payment.  These FCC's are not redeemable for cash refunds.

Edited by wrk2cruise

Drewski 1

Sorry for your cancelled family cruise and your wife's poor health..check out the Refund tracker thread where you can post about your refund  situation and ask for ideas.. If your trip was charged on your credit card you may be able to file a dispute even without your TA  if cruise is already cancelled and refund has not come through...30 to 45 days.   ???

As things open up, perhaps you can have an anniv Celebration and family vacation in Fla,.  We are noticing many nice resorts that cater to families...  We are looking for us  near Crystal River, once res open...

Looked up Casselberry..looks very nice..What about a trip to Sanibel, St Pete or Venice Beach?

Edited by hcat

1 hour ago, drewski1 said:

just as a final note to all of this health stuff. many years ago on NCL, my wife was diagnosed with Norwalk virus given a shot, confined to our cabin was knocked out for 2 days, fed chicken broth only. when we got back from our Canadian cruise we went to our Dr. she had experienced a Gallbladder attack. mis-diagnosed from the getgo. my confidence level in the medical teams aboard ships is not the highest. i understand the person who said i may take up the bed that "THEY" may need is their priority, i'm ok with that. but i pray for safe travels for all of you. side note. i was supposed to be on Celebrity to alaska on june 2nd. it was our 35th anniversary cruise taking all of our children and grandchildren, 16 of us. obviously cancelled. we booked airfare thru X. We opted for 100% refund due to wife's cancer, not knowing how long she has. they owe us over $21000.00 as a refund and i was paid in full. how long do i have to wait for that? can't even get an answer, and my TA is in New York and closed up due to Covid. part of my situation is ANGER, and to the rest of you, i apologise, to others, just go away, you have no idea.

I can only wish you both the very best and hope you still get that family holiday one way or another.

18 hours ago, mnocket said:

Just my 2 cents......

Pre-Covid19 cruise companies believed that their ships were safe for most people with pre-existing conditions.  Outbreaks of the common flu were certainly possible, but not of such concern that restricting those with asthma, diabetes, etc. were necessary.  Post Covid19 they no longer believe their ships are safe for these travelers.  This is a pretty telling admission.  Hopefully, with vaccinations & treatments the risk of Covid19 can be reduced to common flu level or better.  At that time cruise lines will likely relax their medical restrictions.  THAT will be the time I will resume cruising.  To do so before would be to willingly place yourself in an unsafe environment.  As long as the cruise lines themselves consider their ships to be an unsafe environment for those with many pre-existing conditions, I have no desire to try to skirt the rules or seek a doctor's note to allow me to enter an unsafe environment.  Remember, that doctor's note is really intended to protect the cruise line - not you. 

mnocket - the opinion that you have expressed here is worth a lot more than 2 cents!  I think you are exactly right.  So maybe that is 4 cents from the two of us!😄 There are now hundreds of posts on over 70+, doctor's notes, pre-existing conditions, and they go round and round in circles and emerge in different threads.  So here is what I personally am doing if anybody cares. I will wait to see what the new rules and guidelines are put in place by cruiselines and governments and health agencies before I decide on cruising again.  If I was in any risk group at all I would not pay final payments and I would cancel my cruise until I knew all of the facts and new regulations.  I refuse to drive myself crazy with all the what if's, and's, and but's.  If one needs any kind of medical clearance at all- age, health conditions, whatever, maybe one should not be even considering cruising until the situation is stabilized and the go forward, safe path is very well defined.  Take the money and apply it to something else.  Just me I guess.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wrk2cruise said:

Yes that's correct for FCC issued due to Celebrity canceling a cruise on you (Suspended Sailings).  

Many are upset that they wouldn't be able to get refunds for FCC's issued if they cancelled with Cruise with Confidence program prior to Celebrity canceling the cruise or FCC issued for NRD cancelled prior to final payment.  These FCC's are not redeemable for cash refunds.

Correct.  And the Cruise with Confidence FCC was issued when there was no actual shut down of the industry but we were following directives that cruise ship travel was not recommended. I could have taken my FCC and immediately rebooked a cruise for the same week, for April, for May, for June, etc.   Two days after requesting the FCC the industry went to a 30 day shutdown and offered refunds. Since then the shutdown has been extended and is likely to be extended again. The shutdown is for the right reasons. But each extension of the shutdown decreases the ability to ever use these FCC's as Celebrity has not extended their sail by date of 12/21.  If you are still working and/or have school age kids there are only certain windows of opportunity to schedule vacations. 

I feel these companies that offered FCC's for a week before shutting down and being inflexible was to dupe people out of their money.  The continued inflexibility is to make sure you actually forfeit those funds with nothing in return. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Take the money and apply it to something else. 

And therein lies the rub. Currently, the only way to get real $$$, unless you have a refundable deposit, is to make the final payment and wait for the cruise line to cancel your sailing. Then wait several more months. 

Any other cancellation results in an FCC which may end up being useless. 

If the cruise lines are making a change in requirements of this magnitude, they have to allow a full $$$ refund of any dollars paid for any reservation made before the effective date of the new policy. If they do that I would immediately cancel all 9 cruises I have booked over the next two years ......... which is exactly what they don’t want. 

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc

9 hours ago, downsmead said:

I thought the option was there to convert a FCC to a refund until a certain date, written in the FAQ.

6 hours ago, Miaminice said:

That only applies to FCCs issued when Celebrity cancels a cruise. An FCC issued as the result of a passenger cancelling under the Cruise With Confidence policy can not be converted to a refund.

For example, after the CWC policy was announced, we cancelled a cruise when it became apparent that it would never sail due to Canadian port closures, and we were issued FCCs totalling several thousand dollars. This was in early March, before Celebrity made any cancellations on their own. Had we known that they would institute a different refund policy depending on who triggered the cancellation, we obviously would have waited and let them cancel. Another example of hindsight being 20-20.

Our cruises cancellation goes a step further.   We cancelled under the CWC , knowing we would only get FCC...we the rebooked for November 2020....All this was before the March 14  announcement of the Doctors note requirement....We would not have cancelled our cruise and actually taken the cruise (reluctantly) if we would have known about the note.   As I understand it , the Doctors note was a suggestion not a requirement by CDC.    I am currently working with a cruise advocacy group to help me put this in perspective.   There advice so far is to wait......I have until September 1to reschedule.....the take is that the note will go away....

"The line will also maintain its policy of refusing boarding to booked travelers who meet a variety of criteria including anyone who has been in contact with a suspected or confirmed case of COVID-19"

i'm sure someone already said something like this but i drive to and cruise exclusively from NYC. im sure much more of the population flies to cruising. that being said, how can anyone possibly meet the above definition and be able to cruise? anyone thats been in the NYC subway or trains or even walking in the cruise terminal itself has been exposed to someone who can be suspected of it. be definition everyone in an airport and plane also has a chance. and so on and so forth. if you dare cough in public you are suspected today, admit it. its true. and what are you to do, ask every person in the subway if they have it? it sound like legal mumbo jumbo thats meaningless.

also by definition wouldnt everyone that works in a hospital not be able to take a cruise then?

4 hours ago, Fouremco said:

For example, after the CWC policy was announced, we cancelled a cruise when it became apparent that it would never sail due to Canadian port closures, and we were issued FCCs totalling several thousand dollars. This was in early March, before Celebrity made any cancellations on their own. Had we known that they would institute a different refund policy depending on who triggered the cancellation, we obviously would have waited and let them cancel. Another example of hindsight being 20-20.

I know I will regret asking... but why did you cancel if you knew the cruise was going to be canceled? 🙄 No need to do so at all.

We had two cancellations this year so far. Asia and Ne Zealand. In both cases we knew it was going to be canceled - so we simply waited. We have a third booked for September sailing (or better not sailing) from Rome. It’s not going to happen - and we will simply wait again.