Carnival cruise line gradual restart of North American cruises

wesport

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/22873-carnival-cruise-line-to-start-service-again-on-august-1.html?fbclid=IwAR1S1Yz5WlO4gWfaddOum7eLyM9ImmYJCXTgqDk3E-a2sE2zViNohCho4ck

Discussion on Carnival forum:

Looks more like an extended pause than a real plan to ramp up.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd

At least Carnival is publishing some information. HAL does not appear to be communicating nearly as well.

A lot of the frustration I've read about stems from not having information or news from HAL.

Edited by DFD1

Any thoughts on how closely an announcement from HAL will come out and whether it will be similar?  HAL has so many varied sailings, as opposed to the shorter and more cookie-cutter ones offered on Carnival.

I have not canceled upcoming Aug 19 TA from Copenhagen to Boston, but I suspect it's a game of who blinks first.

• Like 1

If I am not mistaken, Caribbean has always been open. Its the US government that announced a locked-up situation and stop all the cruising. I ve read about cruisers in Caribbean and their operation in South America. Well, right now I think they experience the same troubles. I might be mistaken but Argentina and Brazil have closed their borders and ports.. 

3 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

If I am not mistaken, Caribbean has always been open. Its the US government that announced a locked-up situation and stop all the cruising. I ve read about cruisers in Caribbean and their operation in South America. Well, right now I think they experience the same troubles. I might be mistaken but Argentina and Brazil have closed their borders and ports.. 

Quite a few Caribbean ports have been closed since March. For some of these listed below, however, the time limits are expired or are about to expire, so perhaps some will be reopening:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5097/?et_cid=3329057&et_rid=268269734&et_referrer=nav_site_login_us

Sailing 8 vessels from USA ports, including Galveston(?)

"Carnival Cruise Line, which is owned by Carnival Corp., said it advised travel agents on Monday that eight of its ships will return to service on Aug. 1. Three of its ships will set sail from Galveston, Texas, the company said, and three others will sail from Miami. The company said two of its ships will sail from Port Canaveral, Florida."

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/04/coronavirus-carnival-cruise-line-says-it-will-sail-again-august-1.html

But, who will be sailing on the ships? What kind of conditions will be on board?

14 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Any thoughts on how closely an announcement from HAL will come out and whether it will be similar?  HAL has so many varied sailings, as opposed to the shorter and more cookie-cutter ones offered on Carnival.

I have not canceled upcoming Aug 19 TA from Copenhagen to Boston, but I suspect it's a game of who blinks first.

I'm hoping that HAL comes out with something soon but I imagine whatever sailings they will offer will most likely be the "cookie cutter" ones to the Caribbean.   I'm thinking (with no scientific backup/knowledge at all) that the Caribbean will be the first cruises offered.  Possibly Mexico/Central America too.  There is just still too much uncertainty anywhere else and they will have to start somewhere small.  Of course, it will be with limited ships as Carnival is doing.  Many of the ships are going to SE Asia to drop crew and I imagine that most, if not all, will lay up there.  By laying up there, that will make it easier for them to retrieve crew since (again, just my thought) many countries won't be available/allowing foreigners to fly through.

Regarding "blinking first"...yep, that's what we are doing with our Voyage of the Vikings in July.  We aren't going, regardless, but would rather that HAL cancel it so we don't loose the insurance money too.

Linda R.

Planning and doing are two different things.  I am skeptical this will happen but hope it does as it will provide some cash.  It will be interesting to see if :

1.  CDC will let them sail,

2.  Ports will open to them, and

3.  How many passengers will sign up.  I suspect they may have some deals available.

for us with zero interest in the Caribbean it’s a none starter but hopefully it will work. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

for us with zero interest in the Caribbean it’s a none starter but hopefully it will work. 

Especially during the height of hurricane season in August and September....and the tropical heat and humidity at its highest...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Planning and doing are two different things.  I am skeptical this will happen but hope it does as it will provide some cash.  It will be interesting to see if :

1.  CDC will let them sail,

2.  Ports will open to them, and

3.  How many passengers will sign up.  I suspect they may have some deals available.

Those are the salient points, whats ports will be open to cruise ships and how many will want to cruise. As only 2 of our many cruises have been in the Caribbean, we won't be flocking to any of these sailings anytime soon. There may be some good deals to be had, but with all the unknowns on any forthcoming restrictions and potential for a disrupted cruise, we are not planning on anything for this year and possibly most of next year. 

I hope that the cruise industry can start generating some income, otherwise things are going to get really ugly in 2021 for them. But until we get a vaccine, an effective treatment method or herd immunity kicks in, life is not going to go back to anywhere near normal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Quite a few Caribbean ports have been closed since March. For some of these listed below, however, the time limits are expired or are about to expire, so perhaps some will be reopening:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5097/?et_cid=3329057&et_rid=268269734&et_referrer=nav_site_login_us

Interesting, though, that Carnival isn't going to sail from the West Coast ports at all or did I mis-read that.  The ones from LGB were mostly to Mexico.  So, I'm wondering if there is something they know that they aren't saying regarding doing Mexico ports from the Caribbean side?

CCL is announcing the resumption of cruises but at about the same time the US House of Representatives sent the attached letter to their CEO.  The letter does not paint a pretty picture and I wonder what the CDC will do, extend the No-Sail order?  And if not, what are the future arrangements in case of illness on board.

An excerpt from the House letter:

"In fact, it seems as though Carnival Corporation and its portfolio of nine cruise lines, which represents 109 cruise ships, is still trying to sell this cruise line fantasy and ignoring the public health threat posed by coronavirus to potential future passengers and crew.  As of April 23, 2020, none of the front facing web-pages from any of Carnival’s nine affiliated cruise lines.... mentioned a single word about COVID-19, coronavirus, or the precautions these cruise lines intend to take once the CDC lifts its “No Sail Order” for cruise lines.  Instead, these sites are advertising various images of couples dining and dancing, musicians entertaining, and lines of children holding hands and playing.  We understand your business and economic livelihood is focused in the entertainment and travel industry, but the realities of the coronavirus pandemic demand that the incentive to entertain is checkered by a responsibility to protect the health of passengers and crew. Unfortunately, recent media reports have called into question Carnival’s commitment to that goal."

US House - Letter to CCL CEO.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

To what Caribbean ports?

if, when, you learn which Caribbean ports, please let us know  🙂

My guess  is:   Key West, Half Moon Cay,   San Juan,  St.  Thomas, for short cruise..

sail.noordam@gmail.com

21 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

CCL is announcing the resumption of cruises but at about the same time the US House of Representatives sent the attached letter to their CEO.  The letter does not paint a pretty picture and I wonder what the CDC will do, extend the No-Sail order?  And if not, what are the future arrangements in case of illness on board.

An excerpt from the House letter:

"In fact, it seems as though Carnival Corporation and its portfolio of nine cruise lines, which represents 109 cruise ships, is still trying to sell this cruise line fantasy and ignoring the public health threat posed by coronavirus to potential future passengers and crew.  As of April 23, 2020, none of the front facing web-pages from any of Carnival’s nine affiliated cruise lines.... mentioned a single word about COVID-19, coronavirus, or the precautions these cruise lines intend to take once the CDC lifts its “No Sail Order” for cruise lines.  Instead, these sites are advertising various images of couples dining and dancing, musicians entertaining, and lines of children holding hands and playing.  We understand your business and economic livelihood is focused in the entertainment and travel industry, but the realities of the coronavirus pandemic demand that the incentive to entertain is checkered by a responsibility to protect the health of passengers and crew. Unfortunately, recent media reports have called into question Carnival’s commitment to that goal."

US House - Letter to CCL CEO.pdf 202.45 kB · 3 downloads

What did they expect to see on the cruise lines' websites?  Photos of passengers being taken off ships on stretchers and on ventilators?  

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, Roz said:

What did they expect to see on the cruise lines' websites?  Photos of passengers being taken off ships on stretchers and on ventilators?  

The letter stated what they expect to see “...the precautions these cruise lines intend to take once the CDC lifts its “No Sail Order” for cruise lines.”  I’d like to see this also.  I have a transatlantic booked for October and would like to know what precautions HAL will be taking for this cruise, preferably before my final payment is due in July.

• Like 2

I think baby steps should be taken. Cruise lines can’t wait 18 months for a vaccine . New protocols are being put in place. Social distancing will be the tough one. 

• Like 1

Social distancing will be extremely difficult.  And some people won't wear masks - look at the demonstrators.  Some people want to cruise so badly they are willing to put themselves and others in harms way.