Carnival to start select cruises on August 1 - Will Royal follow suit?

10 minutes ago, Drummer72 said:

No one can be this gullible.  the lines are all going into either cold/warm layups. they have or in the process of repatriating most of the front/back of house employees.

Do you think they are going to do this for only 6-8 weeks?  The cruise lines will takes weeks 2-3 to get ships back to operational standards. Then hey hope all the contracted employees back.  This process alone will take 4-6 weeks.

The lines are cancelling cruises that have already need to be PIF.  then they cancel.  as of last week CLIA estimates 50% of all deposits opted the 125% credits.  They are using your money as an interest free loan.

There will be no cruises for at least 6 more months. I’m willing to bet on that.   

Announcing only 9 sailing of 109 Ships, this not for another 3 months. Possible

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

I would hope so, but I just got an email from Costa and they went out another month for many of their ships....and they are owned by Carnival Corporation. 🙄🙄

mac_tlc

Everyones just on a slightly different schedule.  This week Carnivals cancelled further out than Royal, next week Royals further out, its just a back and forth, no one line has been any more transparent yet.  Carnival did take a bigger step forward with this round of cancellations though

• Like 2

1 hour ago, johnjen said:

Yep, this is why we will just wait until RCL's cancellation announcement before bothering to book flights. We are still on for June 22nd out of Amsterdam but we are also held back by the EU from going there for now (indefinite). 

If you think you're going to sail from Amsterdam in June I have relatives in Brooklyn that would like to sell you a Bridge. In what alternate universe would you even think that this cruise is going to happen? What is going to happen: RCL is going to wait until the last minute and then they will cancel. You will get the choice of FCC or a refund. If you take the refund you will wait more than 3 months to see that money if at all. If you take FCC you can assume that future cruise prices will increase because they will be sailing with lower passenger loads and all these people who need to use their FCC.

Either way you're on the sharp end of a pointy stick. Good luck.

sign me Realistic

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NordicPrince said:

If you think you're going to sail from Amsterdam in June I have relatives in Brooklyn that would like to sell you a Bridge. In what alternate universe would you even think that this cruise is going to happen? What is going to happen: RCL is going to wait until the last minute and then they will cancel. You will get the choice of FCC or a refund. If you take the refund you will wait more than 3 months to see that money if at all. If you take FCC you can assume that future cruise prices will increase because they will be sailing with lower passenger loads and all these people who need to use their FCC.

Either way you're on the sharp end of a pointy stick. Good luck.

sign me Realistic

yeah, more like the dirty end of the stick. All we can do is wait. Not anticipating anything. Even if we have to wait three months for the refund to filter though, we'd rather NOT do the FCC. Preliminary plans are for us to just visit Australia in December anyway; we're not dependent on the refund for it. We won't be let down if it cancels; actually, more like relieved.

Edited by johnjen

Lol,everyone here loves to give bad news to each other... “your cruise wont sail”,”what planet are you from thinking your cruise will sail”.... ahhh the entertainment

Edited by rtazz17
  • Like 14
  • Haha 2

Florida is in phase 1.  It is the beginning of May.  By the time the end of May comes around, it might be phase 2.  By August 1, anything can happen.  Speculation is a funny thing.  However, there is much that we as consumers have no idea about behind the scenes although everyone is an expert.  The cruise lines have a war room, where a group of people will start a plan as soon as they have confirmation they will sale from a port to another port.  There is no conspiracy to take your money as a loan.  But if you believe that, than cancel your cruise already. This is a business.  They want to make sure they have passengers in a short notice.  If you are willing to book, they will  book you.  Yes it is a risk,  but not for everyone, or at least those that  believe in the conspiracy.  So my September cruise is booked and paid for, and if I go, I will be happy.

• Like 11

13 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

Florida is in phase 1.  It is the beginning of May.  By the time the end of May comes around, it might be phase 2.  By August 1, anything can happen.  Speculation is a funny thing.  However, there is much that we as consumers have no idea about behind the scenes although everyone is an expert.  The cruise lines have a war room, where a group of people will start a plan as soon as they have confirmation they will sale from a port to another port.  There is no conspiracy to take your money as a loan.  But if you believe that, than cancel your cruise already. This is a business.  They want to make sure they have passengers in a short notice.  If you are willing to book, they will  book you.  Yes it is a risk,  but not for everyone, or at least those that  believe in the conspiracy.  So my September cruise is booked and paid for, and if I go, I will be happy.

On the other hand you could get sick. Too soon for me.

23 minutes ago, Crazy planning mom said:

Not necessarily.

Yes necessarily.  Do you honestly think that the medical care onboard a cruise ship is as good as that on land?

Also, for many people, it's not just an issue of safety or medical care.  It's also the possibility of being quarantined on a ship, even if they don't personally get sick.

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 3

The statement was that the person could get sick if they went on the cruise.  I pointed out that they can get sick even if they didn't go on a cruise and I stand by that statement.  The latest forecast $134,000 deaths from Coronavirus.  Very few of those people have been/will be from cruise ships.

Edited by Crazy planning mom
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I am not a carnival cruiser.    I have sailed on HAL ships a couple of times with my parents but that is it.    I was just doing some mock bookings for the cruises they have starting August 1st and they have some nice itineraries.   I did one mock booking for a 7 night out of miami to 4 ports - included aruba and curacoa and was $1850 for 2 peope for a balcony.   

I did notice most of the room categories are saying they will select the room - no option to select your own; however, I did find on a couple of their ships this was being allowed.    All categories were available although some were showing as very few remaining.

Again, I am Not a CCL cruiser and not familiar with their ships at all just was playing around and thought some of you might find this of interest if you really need to get your cruise fix     Cozumel, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Belize, Costa Maya, Aruba, Curacoa, St. Maaren, St Kitts and St. Thomas were most of their ports.    So I guess they have coordinated with these islands to have ports open by August 1st.    

I am going to sit back and let them "test the waters".    

56 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The last no sail had other conditions under which the cruise line could sail and wasn’t strictly based on the 100 days.

Agree in those Condition's the Dates are not set in stone

When the CDC was talking about repatriation of American personnel still on ships they said they're already working out the circumstances under which cruises will be allowed to restart. Also saw reports 2 cruise lines have already submitted their plan to the CDC before that. Sorry I don't recall the names other than it wasn't MSC, Royal, or Carnival. Still, I would think Carnival is only making this August 1 restart announcement after discussion with the CDC. Probably means they have an agreement and a written plan in the works for an August 1st restart they expect the CDC to sign because it is already agreed to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TravelinGert said:

When the CDC was talking about repatriation of American personnel still on ships they said they're already working out the circumstances under which cruises will be allowed to restart. Also saw reports 2 cruise lines have already submitted their plan to the CDC before that. Sorry I don't recall the names other than it wasn't MSC, Royal, or Carnival. Still, I would think Carnival is only making this August 1 restart announcement after discussion with the CDC. Probably means they have an agreement and a written plan in the works for an August 1st restart they expect the CDC to sign because it is already agreed to.

CDC says that in response to this announcement they have not discussed timeline for cruise lines to return to operations.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/may/04/carnival-cruise-line-coronavirus-resume-operations

Looks like Carnival is just planning and hoping the CDC does an about face on cruising between now and August 1. They are also trying to drum up some bookings to get some cash flow.

Edited by rimmit
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, rimmit said:

CDC says that in response to this announcement they have not discussed timeline for cruise lines to return to operations.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/may/04/carnival-cruise-line-coronavirus-resume-operations

Looks like Carnival is just planning and hoping the CDC does an about face on cruising between now and August 1z. They are also trying to drum up some bookings to get some cash flow.

Thank you for that link. The story I saw did not say anything about the results of discussions between the CDC and cruise lines.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TravelinGert said:

Thank you for that link. The story I saw did not say anything about the results of discussions between the CDC and cruise lines.

Yes, I would love to hear the arguments and plans from the cruise lines that they come up with when they have the discussion.  I want to hear what they can say to convince the CDC to let them sail.

While jails, nursing homes, aircraft carriers and meat packing plants are essential, cruises are not and they are essentially Petri dishes for Covid.  There is no need for any studies, as we have ample data points to prove this problem.

The only way out that I can see is either a vaccine or a miracle drug that mitigates or cures the virus. Anything else would likely be an inadequate level of protection for something considered nonessential.  We have discarded many practices and habits with much less risk. 

When you have a ship like the Ruby Princess that has had 21 deaths out of 2647 passengers or about 0.8 percent or 1/126 death rate for a vacation that is just not gonna fly.  Could you imagine if 1/126 people that bungee jumped or sky dived died?  There is no way the government would allow that and thats even a high risk activity.  No chance they let let 1/126 potentially die on a leisure vacation.  Vacations should not have a death rate attached and that’s what’s happened to the Zaandam, Diamond Princess, Ruby Princess, and Coral Princess  just to name a few. 

Edited by rimmit
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, rimmit said:

Looks like Carnival is just planning and hoping the CDC does an about face on cruising between now and August 1. They are also trying to drum up some bookings to get some cash flow.

It’s the glass half empty vs the glass half full.

They can say they are resuming cruising Aug 1 or they can say they are cancelling all cruises until  July 31.....Corporate PR and doublespeak at its finest. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 5