From Mr Bayley - NO buffet

27 minutes ago, mpaff said:

Royal Caribbean says it intends to resume sailings on June 12, 2020, although it has warned more cancelled cruises are possible due to continued disruptions to travel and port operations in various regions.

https://www.*****.com/royal-caribbean-cancellations

I don't recall RCI ever said when it plans to resume operations, just up to what point they cancelled - a lot of folks wrongly assume that end of cancellation = resumption of service. In the US, it is very unlikely any sailing will take place before the expiration of the CDC no sail order (7/24). Just because RCI has the sailings listed for sale, it does not mean they will sail then.

BTW, CC automatically blocks direct links to that unofficial site.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

I don't recall RCI ever said when it plans to resume operations, just up to what point they cancelled - a lot of folks wrongly assume that end of cancellation = resumption of service. In the US, it is very unlikely any sailing will take place before the expiration of the CDC no sail order (7/24). Just because RCI has the sailings listed for sale, it does not mean they will sail then.

BTW, CC automatically blocks direct links to that unofficial site.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/itinerary-updates

Ok, how about straight from the RCL website.  Is that proof enough?

Edited by mpaff
Edit
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

You can take that statement all the way to the bankruptcy.... I mean bank.

I hate to say it but the news today of $3.3B in senior secured debt to pay back the $2.3B loan from March, with the entire fleet as collateral, is really telling. 

I wish no harm to the company I love. But it doesn’t look good. 

Edited by maaaaattt
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

You can take that statement all the way to the bankruptcy.... I mean bank.

What the CEO was saying today had me thinking the same thing.

• Haha 1

I find the experience of eating at Windjammer restaurants  and other buffets somewhat disgusting and only eat there reluctantly if there is absolutely no other choice.

People pile their plates sky high and waste half of the food.  They drop food all over the place and make a mess.

Children run wild touching and grabbing different things, and many adults do the same, using fingers instead of tongs.  Droplets are probably constantly falling onto food from sneezing, coughing, yelling, and just talking.

Eating becomes a competition and a race instead of an experience to enjoy.

Give me sit down breakfast, lunch and dinner restaurant service every day!

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, LibertyBella said:

I find the experience of eating at Windjammer restaurants  and other buffets somewhat disgusting and only eat there reluctantly if there is absolutely no other choice.

People pile their plates sky high and waste half of the food.  They drop food all over the place and make a mess.

Children run wild touching and grabbing different things, and many adults do the same, using fingers instead of tongs.  Droplets are probably constantly falling onto food from sneezing, coughing, yelling, and just talking.

Couldn’t agree with you more. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LibertyBella said:

Then you'll have to starve come lunchtime on port days on most mass market lines since they do not have  sit down service.  But of course there are luxury lines that will gladly fulfill your wishes.

No surprise. As said WJ will still be used, has to. Years ago Royal WJ had servers during day. Then for Dinner Waiter, Menu and evenTable Cloth's. Was only way eat while wearing Jeans or Shorts even swimwear was not allowed in WJ. I liked the Tea Time, had some the best sweets

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LibertyBella said:

Should only go on Royal Cruises I do. 10-16niters, only 10-50 kids at most. Bet there was only 25 over Thanksgiving. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mpaff said:

Knowing some RCI history on communications with customers (the April 15th version of the web page, the day before the last round of cancellations,  said their goal was resume operation on May 12)  and context (the CDC order no sail order), I certainly would not read "While our goal is to resume operations for the majority of our fleet on June 12th" as them declaring they will sail then. For the lay person, yeah, that sounds like they plan to sail then.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, mpaff said:

No buffet? Are you serious?  Most people get their breakfast lunch and sometimes dinner from WJ.   

The new look of cruising post C-19. The ship will only be half full are the reports for social distancing. Use your ship provided mask for certain moments and enjoy the ride. 

5 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Then you'll have to starve come lunchtime on port days on most mass market lines since they do not have  sit down service.  But of course there are luxury lines that will gladly fulfill your wishes.

Just made me think the Pinnacle Lunch and C&A lunch with an officer meals might become a thing of the past as well. 

55 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Probably no more pictures with the Captain or Bridge Tours

IMO C&A some perks may disappear for a while strictly for safety of the crew, over and above the safety of guests. If the crew is sick, who can/will care for the guests.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, soloadventurer said:

From another site an interview with Mr Baley

..... there will not be a buffet.

Oh man... that's the last plastic straw!

What's next... no bars?

Cheers.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, mpaff said:

I will beat that drum again. No cruises are happening until either July 24th or the CDC shortens the " no sail order". 

It's not in the CEO's hands, whether right or wrong the CDC holds the trump card.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Will room service become gratis to alleviate the crowding and the social distancing protocol.

I wonder what the wait times will become to have an order delivered if people become scared of the Windjammer.

19 hours ago, soloadventurer said:

From another site an interview with Mr Baley

"I think in the beginning, there will not be a buffet in the beginning, that's how I see it. It depends again upon the timing. We will utilize the space, we will utilize the Windjammer, but in all probability it won't be a classical buffet. It will be something more akin to a restaurant."

Source of the interview, please, or he never said it. Seriously, though, anybody can say anything they want on the internet and people just run with it. I'm sorry, but if it comes from the internet, I have to see ironclad proof, or it's just nonsense.

Edited by rusty nut
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

No surprise. As said WJ will still be used, has to. Years ago Royal WJ had servers during day. Then for Dinner Waiter, Menu and evenTable Cloth's. Was only way eat while wearing Jeans or Shorts even swimwear was not allowed in WJ. I liked the Tea Time, had some the best sweets

Yes, the good old days, WJ had table cloth, cutlery and napkin on the table, almost the same menu as the MDR, waiters. I remember when there was formal nights, people would eat there instead of the MDR if they didn't want to dress up. Now, t-shirt or polo is acceptable dress for some who don't care. This is  the mega ship way.  But mass market now cater to all and price of a cruise remain the same. They needed to cut cost. 

Edited by strathcona

I hadnforgotten about that.  If I recall when we sailed on the Quantum out of Bayonne, we visited the AJ on the lobster night and yes they did have table cloth and silverware and waiters.  I was impressed by the humongous shrimps and steak.  The night was called surf & turf and they a wonderful antipasti and variety of desserts that included  ice cream with various toppings.

Like anything things change along when we sailed on the Anthem a few years later.