Roll Call

trbarton

My roll call for a December cruise had 17 people or couples a month ago.  12 have cancelled their cruise in the last 4 weeks due to Covid19 concerns.  The few that are left are not active. 

I have found that Roll Call activity for all my cruises in the last two years to be pretty light.  I am on only one, right now--December cruise--and it is very slow.  I joined in, I think, November.  By March I don't think there were more than a half dozen members.  Since March, I think there have been two posts.  The second was by me welcoming somebody who had just joined.

I think there is a certain amount of "Roll Call Fatigue" that is contributing to declining participation.

Our best ever roll call was for the 28 day Hawaii and South Pacific cruise. It had thousands of posts. Most of the best private excursions were fully booked via that roll call. Some pretty freaking great folks. We even had a multi-page shutterfly site with all kinds of good stuff on it including roll call listing, excursion groups, game groups, cabin locations, a page for each port, etc. Loved that cruise and the folks on it. Even the CD staff and the bar staff were outstanding. Best... Roll... Call... Ever.

We have also had some other roll calls that were outstanding. Panama Canal comes to mind.

Edited by Thrak

It seems like ever since CC changed its format, the roll calls have been very quiet ... even nonexistent for some of my cruises.  My last real roll call was just over 2 years ago and wow ... it was so active!  We had nearly 600 members and CC actually had to start a second thread as we reached well over the limit (I think it was either over 5K over 10K posts).  Since then, we've seen very little activity and a couple of roll calls for cruises I have booked haven't even been started.  We were just setting up an informal meeting on the ship but now, not even that is happening.  I see some people posting their travel plans on FB and trying to find out if others are sailing ... that's just a bad idea, IMO.  

Guess the roll call is becoming more or less extinct.  

3 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

It seems like ever since CC changed its format, the roll calls have been very quiet ... even nonexistent for some of my cruises. 

I agree that the format change had a marked effect on roll calls - as well as other postings. Many people who were very comfortable and familiar with the old format felt completely lost with the new format. It isn't nearly as user friendly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Thrak said:

Our best ever roll call was for the 28 day Hawaii and South Pacific cruise. It had thousands of posts. Most of the best private excursions were fully booked via that roll call. Some pretty freaking great folks. We even had a multi-page shutterfly site with all kinds of good stuff on it including roll call listing, excursion groups, game groups, cabin locations, a page for each port, etc. Loved that cruise and the folks on it. Even the CD staff and the bar staff were outstanding. Best... Roll... Call... Ever.

We have also had some other roll calls that were outstanding. Panama Canal comes to mind.

Similar situation for our 2018 S.A. round trip.  And this Fall's REGAL from UK to Singapore and Sydney was incredibly active - and still is despite voyage cancellation.  Closing in on 5000 posts.  There was a Google Doc spreadsheet for tours and to register members.  Amazing.  And now tours have been cancelled and folks getting deposits back, etc.  There is some question about later stage segments, but who knows as Princess has not officially cancelled them all.  We are out, though, as part of Pause 3.

But who would have believe such an active Roll Call?

8 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

And this Fall's REGAL from UK to Singapore and Sydney was incredibly active - and still is despite voyage cancellation.  

But who would have believe such an active Roll Call?

I was a part of that roll call. We were on the Rome to Dubai segment which I cancelled. It was/is the most active roll call I've ever been a part of. 

13 hours ago, Thrak said:

I agree that the format change had a marked effect on roll calls - as well as other postings. Many people who were very comfortable and familiar with the old format felt completely lost with the new format. It isn't nearly as user friendly.

I agree as well ... the new search function is terrible now.  I've found a trick or two to get down to what I am looking for but, it was still made to be very user UNfriendly.  

Although not busy, the roll call for our March 2021 cruise got some activity after the same March 2020 cruise got cancelled.  A number of folks on the 2020 cruise booked onto the 2021 cruise and a number of them signed up on the roll call and has some activity.  30 people following and 17 pages of posts.

21 hours ago, Alaskanb said:

What did you end up booking? 

Oct 16th Canada and New England on Sky.  Had it booked for this Oct; but it cancelled.  Also had a Med cruise booked for Oct and that cancelled also.  Will look to book the Med cruise; just don't know when we will take that one.  We had a Rhine River Cruise cancel on AMA Waterways.  AMA was 6-18 May, 2020.  So our roll coll will be 16-22 Oct 2021