Canada issuing moratorium on cruise ships until October 31st, 2020

kazu

According to CBC news, the Minister will be announcing shortly that the July 1st closure of Canada’s ports will be extended until October 31st.  Once it’s available in a link, I will post it.

While HAL has cancelled Canada sailings there are still some sailings with different itineraries (mostly out of Vancouver, I believe) that will be impacted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

HAL have quite a few departures listed for September/October from Vancouver to Hawaii, Sea of Cortez, Japan.  I suppose that they have time to reschedule the embarkation port to Seattle or San Diego or LA, if they are going to run them.

• Like 1

Ministerial media release from Transport Canada --- 

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2020/05/minister-garneau-announces-updated-measures-for-cruise-ships-and-passenger-vessels-in-canadian-waters-up-to-october-31-2020.html     

Moneyshot:  Cruise ships with overnight accommodations allowed to carry more than 100 persons are prohibited from operating in Canadian waters until October 31, 2020.

Scott. 

Edited by YXU AC*SE

I'm surprised the Canadian government would pinch off the local economies that rely on tourism.

Hopefully those businesses will receive some financial support, so they'll be around when/if Canada reopens

in 2021.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

Wow.  I feel bad for all the individuals who rely on tourist dollars from the cruise industry; that's a huge blow for them.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

This is the same for almost any tourist destination town/city/state/ countries. Huge events are canceled that impact workers, promoters, governments, etc. it is a sad situation for all of us. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Boatdrill said:

I'm surprised the Canadian government would pinch off the local economies that rely on tourism.

Hopefully those businesses will receive some financial support, so they'll be around when/if Canada reopens

in 2021.

They probably did a cost/benefit analysis, and decided the potential cost was greater than any potential benefit.  Our federal government (ultimately the Canadian taxpayers) is providing lots of support to both individuals and businesses.

Edited by VennDiagram
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, VennDiagram said:

They probably did a cost/benefit analysis, and decided the potential cost was greater than any potential benefit.  Our federal government (ultimately the Canadian taxpayers) is providing lots of support to both individuals and businesses.

completely agree.  I imagine the benefit was the saving of lives.  Our Governments - both provincial and federal place a high value on human lives 😉 

• Like 15

"Canada 'needs' airline industry, is monitoring day by day: minister...

Due to Canada’s size and geography, “We expect and need an airline industry in this country,” he said....

Cruise ships with overnight capacity for more than 100 crew and passengers will not be allowed to operate in Canadian waters at least until November, the minister said. The ban on large cruise ships, many of which were hit by COVID-19 outbreaks, began in March."

https://ca.reuters.com/article/topNews/idCAKBN23522Y

I believe that there was significant risk to opening ports post July 1.  Thousands of tourists would be coming into Canada-passing through twice. Not to mention the crews.

Those tourists would be from around the world. From countries or regions in those countries that may or may not have had effective covid19 programs or those areas that opened their economies prematurely.

This is, IMHO, far too great a chance to take at this point in time.  Clearly,  Canada's public health authorities were of the same opinion. Fortunately the Canadian Government followed their recommendations.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Boatdrill said:

in 2021.

Public health concerns are the primary issue.  Governments will help out the tourism sector.

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Public health concerns are the primary issue.  Governments will help out the tourism sector.

Those who have/will lose their businesses and livelihoods under the extended ban are part of the concern about public health. Meaning THEIR health.  Canada has a variety of programs to temporarily assist them, such as loans,  and taxable payments for 16 weeks.  I wish them all the best of luck.        

Edited by Boatdrill

This is our 2nd cancellation due to the virus. I am sad that our world is in this shape. I am told that the cruise must stop at some port outside the US but don't know if they could apply for a waiver.  I now hope we can sail out of Seattle but don't have much hope for that. We have 32 day cruise in November that leaves San Diego for Hawaii and the South Pacific. Just want to sail.

Frank and Lynn

1 hour ago, Boatdrill said:

Canada has a variety of programs to temporarily assist them, such as loans,  and taxable payments for 16 weeks.  I wish them all the best of luck.        

The Prime Minister does regular updates and the money seems to keep flowing for those that need assistance.  I suspect there will be some kind of plan for the tourism industry.

Tourism has suffered world wide.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FNSIII said:

This is our 2nd cancellation due to the virus. I am sad that our world is in this shape. I am told that the cruise must stop at some port outside the US but don't know if they could apply for a waiver.  I now hope we can sail out of Seattle but don't have much hope for that. We have 32 day cruise in November that leaves San Diego for Hawaii and the South Pacific. Just want to sail.

Frank and Lynn

The PVSA requires foreign flagged ships that transport passengers from one US port to a different US port (embarkation and debarkation ports) must stop at a distant foreign port.  Round trip cruises must stop at any foreign port. 

And cruises that the embarkation or debarkation port is a foreign port are not affected by the PVSA.