So, If You Can't Cruise This Summer, What Will You Do?

HamOp

13 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

I am going to take my time getting used to going out again!  We might take a driving holiday up to Tofino, if things are opening up there.  We certainly will stay on the Island.  People in the tourist industry are begging for visitors, but the locals all say "Stay away!"

Tofino.  I'd like to go there in November and watch the big Pacific waves.  I love watching water as it is so calming.  That might be a good reason to use up my AC credit and fly to Vancouver.

• Like 1

Well, let's see.....  I have built 3 custom plant stands for Mrs Banjo,  remodeled my office space including new floors, paint, etc, cleaned the garage, built a foot locker for my nephew, done some gardening, repaired and repainted a garden statue,  recorded a bunch of new music backing tracks for my nursing home solo act, (when they open up and allow entertainment again) and I might go out and get current with my pilot license again.  Ok I have been pretty busy and been enjoying life during the current unpleasantness.  I have also missed 2 trips and have another already canceled.  Personally I am hoping to return to some new normal that resembles the old normal 

Resized_Resized_20200425_112736001.jpeg

Photo on 5-25-20 at 11.52 AM.jpg

• Like 5

19 hours ago, rafinmd said:

So sorry to hear that.  Wishing good results for DW and strength for the entire family.

Roy

19 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

I'm so sorry to hear you are going through this.  Sending all best wishes to you and your family.  Stay strong!  

18 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

So sorry to hear about your DW's chemo, but I hope all goes well and you have a wonderful week in Sorrento and Baltic cruise.

18 hours ago, cat shepard said:

I am sorry that you are facing this ordeal. May all go well for DW. 

17 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Prayers for a good outcome. 

17 hours ago, bennybear said:

@VMax1700 hope all goes well and that you will soon be out enjoying life! 

16 hours ago, RuthC said:

Best wishes to your DW for successful treatments. 

Thanks everyone for the good thoughts.  Prognosis is good as it was caught early (no-one attending clinics because of Covid etc) and treatment has been quick and good - already a big reduction in size.   It is strange as we have been in lockdown since March 12th (DW's birthday!) and had been looking forward, like so many others , to getting out and about again.  Still only virtual hugs even within the family.

As DW says to me continually 'We are stronger together'.

• Like 15

On 6/21/2020 at 11:45 AM, RuthC said:

Thanks. 

Path Between the Seas is over 600 pages, and fairly dry reading. But the author makes it interesting, and the history is fascinating. It wasn't one of those books that keep me up all night reading, but I did skip chores to pick it up for an afternoon.
It was one of those books I was sorry to see end, so that's a pretty good recommendation. 

I have an appointment to pick up my copy from the library next Tuesday. It would have been tomorrow, but I have a few books on order coming in, so we decided to make it a one-time pickup for them all. Looking forward to getting my books! So I guess I'm adding reading to my list of things to do this summer.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, slidergirl said:

As soon as my herpes zoster ophthalmica clears up and I can see well enough to drive, I'll do a mini-roadtrp to campgrounds in Utah and maybe Idaho.  Usually my seasons to do my trips are Spring and Fall.  But, with no job right now (thanks COVID), I can do some things this summer.  My big road trip I'll save for Fall - still trying to decide what route I want to do.  Until then, it'll be 3 day trips higher up in the mountains for camping.  Every big activity our town usually has in the summer has been canceled, so we may have some good "locals" time here.  

Hope you have a quick and good recovery.

campgrounds in Utah: - I always wanted to visit the salt flats.........

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Hope you have a quick and good recovery.

campgrounds in Utah: - I always wanted to visit the salt flats.........

thanks about the eye.  It's frustrating, but not painful like the shingles you get on your body.  Annoying headache, scratchy eye, eye feels "bigger"...  

I"ll tell you there isn't any camping anywhere near the Salt Flats.  Closest is a KOA in West Wendover and the pictures of it do not look appealing.   Best thing would be to camp up in the Wasatch Mts in SLC and make the 2 hour drive to the Salt Flats. 

Well, Princess canceled our Greenland cruise (now hoping to go there on Rotterdam next year) and Celebrity canceled our A-B-C Caribbean cruise, so along with our traveling friends we rented a three master suite "Log Cabin" in the Smoky Mountains for a week.  No flying, just driving.  Lots of chances to hike, white-water rafting, the ladies can shop, etc.

We used to vacation there every year when our sons were young.

Still hoping for Antarctica over the holidays...

• Like 3

Currently I'm about 1/2 way complete with our Master Bedroom Remodel; we're also doing a lot of house and yard maintenance, gardening, and bird watching off our deck.  It's been fun to observe spring turn to summer for the first time in a number of years after being somewhere else in the world travelling or sailing by cruise ship.  For the summer, we expect to go camping in our new travel trailer.

• Like 2

Walking the 250 miles of blue ridge parkway in NC with old high school friend.  We have 120 miles to go.  Started at Va/NC border last summer and hope to finish at mile post 469 in Cherokee in Sep or so.  Heck of an adventure so far.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Lovely other said:

I’m planning on driving around the coast of Ireland 🇮🇪 once the hotels open up again next month. 

Some of the world's beautiful vistas...and nicest people. Have fun. I wish I were there now.....especially in the west.

On 6/21/2020 at 10:05 AM, Himself said:

I am not sure yet.  

I have been on ships since 1996 and I have treasured each cruise.  I have Chaplain on many cruises but I have also been a passenger several times. If I never cruise again, I will always look back fondly on the past 24 years. As for this summer, I will take it day by day. 

• Like 4

We cancelled our March Koningsdam cruise around South America shortly before HAL pulled the plug. We have a Caribbean B2B on the Nieuw Statendam in November, but @Himself has reported that they may be in jeopardy. Hopefully our February 2021 cruise will actually sail - with us onboard!

Normally, we would be spending most of the summer at our Kawartha Lakes place near Peterborough, Ontario, but the US/Canada border is closed! It looks like it will be closed for at least another month. Until then, we are secluded in our Saint Paul condo cleaning, organizing, and getting rid of junk. The lull has also allowed us to finally get our house sold - supposed to close in mid July! The down side is what do I do with the 35 years of junk we collected?

@VMax1700 - best wishes to your DW for a speedy recovery. I enjoyed meeting you both on the Nieuw Statendam in 2019.

@slidergirl - good luck with the eye issues, it sounds very annoying.

Edited by Overhead Fred
Clarification

On 6/21/2020 at 8:16 AM, RuthC said:

Reading. 

Just finished Path Between the Seas yesterday, and am starting Burning Cold this afternoon. 

I’ll have to look for that one. Started Nothing Like It in the World about the transcontinental railroad. Still haven’t finished. It’s interesting and well written, and it Is so densely packed with history it’s taking me awhile to wade through it. Can’t say I really enjoyed Burning Cold- it seemed to have all the charms and interest of a very old local newspaper.

No vacation this summer: we’re on mandatory overtime until further notice.🤨

(And if it goes on too long, that notice might be mine.)

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

The lull has also allowed us to finally get our house sold - supposed to close in mid July! The down side is what do I do with the 35 years of junk we collected?

Good luck on your closing! I have to invoke my “ruthless” side when it comes time to cleaning out stuff. It is always so rewarding, though.

12 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

We cancelled our March Koningsdam cruise around South America shortly before HAL pulled the plug. We have a Caribbean B2B on the Nieuw Statendam in November, but @Himself has reported that they may be in jeopardy. Hopefully our February 2021 cruise will actually sail - with us onboard!

Normally, we would be spending most of the summer at our Kawartha Lakes place near Peterborough, Ontario, but the US/Canada border is closed! It looks like it will be closed for at least another month. Until then, we are secluded in our Saint Paul condo cleaning, organizing, and getting rid of junk. The lull has also allowed us to finally get our house sold - supposed to close in mid July! The down side is what do I do with the 35 years of junk we collected?

@VMax1700 - best wishes to your DW for a speedy recovery. I enjoyed meeting you both on the Nieuw Statendam in 2019.

@slidergirl - good luck with the eye issues, it sounds very annoying.

Thank you for the wishes.

Good luck with your closing!  I know what it's like to move with "stuff"- post-divorce, I moved from a 3500 sq ft house with stuff from 30 years of marriage into a 1500 sq ft. house!!!   I moved 9 years ago and I still have boxes I haven't touched!!!

Question: do you own the place at Kawartha Lakes?  If you do, is there some sort of waiver you can get to "check" on your property?  

12 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

Thank you Fred.  We will be back!

Congratulations on the closing and enjoy the de-junking! 😃

40 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Question: do you own the place at Kawartha Lakes?  If you do, is there some sort of waiver you can get to "check" on your property?

Yes we own the place but I have not looked into any kind of waiver yet. If the border stays closed too much longer, I will look into that. As of now, I don't think the "authorities" are even keen on Toronto folks coming up to their cottages. 

We do have our builder coming by to check on the place every few weeks and arranged for someone to mow the lawn. Our neighbors on the lane also keep an eye on the place. Our cottage association has a private Facebook page so we can keep everyone informed.