So, If You Can't Cruise This Summer, What Will You Do?

HamOp

Surprised that cruisers haven’t read the Path Between the Seas...really a must read before taking a Panama Canal Cruise!

Money saved by no cruises this year seems to be eaten up quickly with home repairs: HVAC, new walkway, roof, and miscellaneous. Time is being well-spent finishing up 2 quilts, and the BIG project of going through dozens of photo albums of my parents and grandparents as well as scrapbooks and scanning and organizing important photos and memorabilia. I’m seeing the end!

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Gonna spend a long weekend on Catalina Island for our anniversary 🙂

Try a Catalina Island adventure with the kids - Los Angeles Times

What a wonderful place to spend an anniversary!  I only visited Catalina once, but I'll never forget it.

Happy Anniversary Copper and thank you for your service.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, janmcn said:

Surprised that cruisers haven’t read the Path Between the Seas...really a must read before taking a Panama Canal Cruise!

Not reading this book before a Panama Canal deprives one of the historical context in which the Canal came into existence.  My opinion, not reading the book diminishes the experience of such a cruise.

• Like 1

mostly staying home.Attending 4 grandsons graduations, mostly virtual but one in person where our grandson is valedictorian of his high school class. Wearing masks and socially distancing.

Watching A Place to Call Home which is like a soap opera, but I’m loving the 6 seasons and the stars.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, puppycanducruise said:

Why do I have all this stuff?

That  is almost always my daily question!  My Mother is at fault.  😀  She was a "saver" and I inherited her genes.  

But, my Mother is also responsible for my travel/cruise addiction.  😀😀😀!!  God Bless Her!

• Like 3

On 6/23/2020 at 3:14 PM, Copper10-8 said:

Gonna spend a long weekend on Catalina Island for our anniversary 🙂

Try a Catalina Island adventure with the kids - Los Angeles Times

Enjoy!!!  Have a buffalo burger for me!!!   I had a co-worker who had his private pilot license.  Sometimes, we'd take a long lunch (we were salaried, not hourly) and fly over to Catalina and get a buffalo burger at the airport cafe.  I have camped on Catalina, too.  Had the wild boars come to the campground at night!!!   

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

Staying home as I don't want to fly yet and am not a big fan of driving as a single person. I may go to a local resort for a couple of days for my birthday in August. 

Be careful of all that smoke in the air down there!!!  

You have some nice resorts to choose in the area!!   Myself, I'd love to do a weekend at Miraval!!!

Just a quick "Thank You" to all those posters who responded to my question.

It was fun to see all the different things everyone's doing to keep busy.

Stay safe, and stay healthy.  It ain't over yet..........

• Like 4

I love living in the mountains, but I also miss the ocean.

A few weeks ago my DW and I went to Westport, WA, and looked at some condominiums for retirement (maybe 6-8 years in the future). We will be closing the deal this next week on a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom condo with ocean view just steps away from an 18 mile long sandy beach. Since we won't be cruising this summer, we plan to invest some quality time at the ocean. 

• Like 5

My husband created a little stateroom experience in our bedroom with a TV and anchor lap mats for “room service”. It’s been fun pretending to be on vacation watching movies and having takeout in there. After hearing about so many people traveling on one of the other cruise line threads and hearing so many friends talk about their travels despite the pandemic, I tried to get up the courage to get on a plane to visit my parents, but I don’t think I can get myself to do it. 

• Like 2

We have a large back yard, and a glassed/screened deck overlooking it, so will spend the lion's share of time enjoying the hard work we've put in over the years.  The cruise budget is staying put, as I intend to extend our cruising by another year, seeing this one was a wash.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

We're doing some 5 day weekday RV trips this summer and hope to do a couple of long trips this fall if the virus doesn't cause everything to shut down again. Couple camping is the ultimate in social distancing! Just me and my wife.

• Like 3

On 6/27/2020 at 1:06 PM, HAL4NOW said:

I love living in the mountains, but I also miss the ocean.

A few weeks ago my DW and I went to Westport, WA, and looked at some condominiums for retirement (maybe 6-8 years in the future). We will be closing the deal this next week on a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom condo with ocean view just steps away from an 18 mile long sandy beach. Since we won't be cruising this summer, we plan to invest some quality time at the ocean. 

Picked up the keys Tuesday; stayed a couple nights before having to go back to work. Beach and dunes walks prove to be soothing for the sole (soul). Saw deer, eagles, other sea and land birds, snails, and slugs. Nice couple of days.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

Picked up the keys Tuesday; stayed a couple nights before having to go back to work. Beach and dunes walks prove to be soothing for the sole (soul). Saw deer, eagles, other sea and land birds, snails, and slugs. Nice couple of days.

GOOD FOR YOU !  I wish you many happy days there.

• Thanks 1

We did a day trip into Denali National Park in May and were considering a weekend trip to Valdez to do a wildlife and glacier cruise at the end of July, but have scratched those plans.  COVID is raging, even here in Alaska now, and so we're staying put.

DH has been working on a lot of home projects...  New siding, fixing up the back deck, and I've bought a large new desk as my telecommute agreement has just been extended for another year.  No more working at the kitchen table for me.

We are basically just happy to be alive and are very disappointed that the virus has taken over our lives for this long.  I cringe when I see friends fly out of state, visit bars and restaurants then fly back to Alaska.  I am not that brave at all.

• Like 2

We will fix a wonderful dinner or maybe order delivery to our wonderful balcony overlooking the country club next door.  We will play one of those wonderful youtube videos taken from a cruise ship balcony.  Now if I can get one of the waiters from the club to come serve...

7 hours ago, Btimmer said:

Finishing our bedroom remodel (wiring, sheet rock, paint, new floor, and a seashore decor). 

2020070319451516--1760163906875499603-IM

On to the next project.

Looking Good! Nice project......

• Like 1