Bahamas is opening up, what do you think of their new rules?

ilikeanswers

I would require that the test be within 3 days of arrival but basically they are good rules.  The more basic question is whether they will be strictly enforced and what they Bahamas will do to people who try to break them.

DON

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, GlamorousGirl said:

I won’t go there until they relax these requirements... 

43 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Which of these requirements do you find so severe? 

I probably would not go if these requirements were in place either.  Not because I find them to be severe.  Instead,  I don't think I would enjoy a trip that required those kinds of cautionary steps.  Who knows, I might change my mind later, but that is how I feel now. 

I agree with DonSC's previous comment about the test being within 3 instead of 10 days.  And the common missing ingredient to all these plans seems to be what happens if a tourist is found to have CV-19.  

PS: Thanks for sharing the link.  

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 2

Even though the Bahamas would seem to be safer for Floridians than staying home in Florida, why travel if the restrictions are similar.

I totally understand Bahamians protecting themselves against us Americans.

• Like 1

I understand why these rules were issued by the Bahamas.  They are reasonable in the interest of trying to protect their citizens.  Do they encourage me to make another visit?  No.  

My traveling days are over, I am afraid.  

I don't see how the guidelines will work with cruising. Are people to present their documentation at the cruise port? Will the cruise lines not let anyone on at the departure port who hasn't had the swab test? How will they deal will thousands of tourists lying on their forms? So many ways this could fail.

Edited by cruizergal70

The timing will be difficult in taking and getting a test result back 3 days before travel.  Some test results are coming back within 24-48 hours, some are taking longer.  Imagine making all the travel arrangements and pacing the airport, waiting for test results.  No test results - money wasted.  A week seems more doable.

That said, a negative test result in hand from 10 days earlier (even 3 days earlier) is really a false sense of security.  No way to tell if a traveler has been infected with the virus since the test, and is otherwise asymptomatic.  Strict in-public mask-wearing requirements will help mitigate a possible spread but the Bahamian tourism industry and government would have to be willing to police & enforce it.

We could go there with these rules, flying is a 2.5 hr direct flight, and we would stay at our timeshare at Atlantis. The biggest difference for us would probably be having groceries delivered. If we don't go where people congregate, the mask requirements would be not much different than here in US.

The travel insurance question might be an issue depending on if they require a medical repatriation policy. We have health insurance that is good overseas, but doesn't have medical emergency travel coverage.

As has been pointed out, the questions about implementation will need to be answered.

People talking about cruises: this doesn't seem to be an invitation to ships, I think. That will likely be a whole different set of rules many months away.

I would bet they are desperate for money and need to get the tourism dollars flowing again.  Reminds me of what is going on in Mexico.  I would be suspicious of traveling there just like I am of visiting Mexico although this is pure speculation as I don't know the Bahamian culture like I do Mexico where I have family ties.

On 6/27/2020 at 3:05 PM, SelectSys said:

I would bet they are desperate for money and need to get the tourism dollars flowing again.  Reminds me of what is going on in Mexico.  I would be suspicious of traveling there just like I am of visiting Mexico although this is pure speculation as I don't know the Bahamian culture like I do Mexico where I have family ties.

If I read your post correctly, your opinion is that health concerns be dammed, dollars are more important?  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

If I read your post correctly, your opinion is that health concerns be dammed, dollars are more important?  

Well, that certainly seems to be the attitude shown by the governors of a number of US Southern states - who decided to open up as quickly as possible with little to no requirements.  If health concerns are going to be taken seriously, a lot (not all, but a lot) of dollar concerns may have to take second place.   It is too bad :  with the example shown by a few states which brought serious levels of contagion under control opening slowly,  too many others decided that it was just too hard to do without crowded bars, beach parties, etc. — and certainly a violation of people’s “rights” to require masks when in close quarters.

That is such BS — people are required to wear clothes when out in public - why not masks, when there is an obvious need. Unfortunately, too many yahoos only recognize their “rights” - while not seeing that they just might have some obligations.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

When you are discussing developing nations the pandemic is compounded by issues of poverty. I know every one criticises Mexico and perhaps if they had acted as siftly as Vietnam they would be in a better place on the other hand their tourism is very dependent on America. Going into full lock down could lead to issues like in India where people are left starving because there is no support system and they are too poor to have savings😔

16 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Not directly.  A trade off between health concerns and economic concerns are always made.  The decisions that are made depend on a variety of factors including health care availability, ability to weather a storm, safety net, etc.

15 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Well, that certainly seems to be the attitude shown by the governors of a number of US Southern states - who decided to open up as quickly as possible with little to no requirements.  If health concerns are going to be taken seriously, a lot (not all, but a lot) of dollar concerns may have to take second place.   It is too bad :  with the example shown by a few states which brought serious levels of contagion under control opening slowly,  too many others decided that it was just too hard to do without crowded bars, beach parties, etc. — and certainly a violation of people’s “rights” to require masks when in close quarters.

That is such BS — people are required to wear clothes when out in public - why not masks, when there is an obvious need. Unfortunately, too many yahoos only recognize their “rights” - while not seeing that they just might have some obligations.

I am not sure we qualify in California as a Southern State, but definitely our government is making decisions based on economic concerns.  Our Governor is facing what was in May a $54 billion deficit and even governments are now laying off staff.  This thought process is what is what drove CA to open before meeting the metrics posited both federally and buy our own state.

I am not sure about where you are, but I am astounded by the complete disregard of rules where I live in California.   It seems we are so spoiled as a society that the thought of even the smallest sacrifice is too much to ask.    

11 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

When you are discussing developing nations the pandemic is compounded by issues of poverty. I know every one criticises Mexico and perhaps if they had acted as siftly as Vietnam they would be in a better place on the other hand their tourism is very dependent on America. Going into full lock down could lead to issues like in India where people are left starving because there is no support system and they are too poor to have savings😔

I do not criticize Mexico as a country.  I can and do criticize the ingrained systemic corruption, acceptance of lawlessness and horrible public education system in Mexico.  The current government and president are absolutely horrible.  I saw the Mexican president say on TV that his protection against the corona virus was a lucky $2 bill and a religious medal.   The Mexican government is intentionally not testing nor counting corona virus cases outside of the public health facilities.  Meanwhile they are wasting money on state projects that are flushing the country's wealth down the toilet.  

6 hours ago, SelectSys said:

I am not sure about where you are, but I am astounded by the complete disregard of rules where I live in California.   It seems we are so spoiled as a society that the thought of even the smallest sacrifice is too much to ask.    

The differences in stats between counties south of the Grapevine and the rest of the state are incredible.    

My county's numbers are relatively good, but we are now seeing an increase in cases and the % positives from increased testing is growing.  Our next phase of opening was supposed to happen July 1st.  It is now on hold.   

20 hours ago, ldubs said:

The differences in stats between counties south of the Grapevine and the rest of the state are incredible.    

My county's numbers are relatively good, but we are now seeing an increase in cases and the % positives from increased testing is growing.  Our next phase of opening was supposed to happen July 1st.  It is now on hold.   

Yes, the 4 main counties in the South are definitely growing fast. The Bay Area had most of the original cases and never opened up to the same extent where the original infection rate was lower. 

San Diego is also getting a lot of overflow from Tijuana/Baja with US citizens and residents living in Mexico crossing back whenever they get sick and the virus in Mexico is completely uncontained.

https://public.tableau.com/views/COVID-19CasesDashboard_15931020425010/Cases?:embed=y&:showVizHome=no

• Thanks 1

On 6/29/2020 at 1:19 PM, SelectSys said:

Not directly.  A trade off between health concerns and economic concerns are always made.  The decisions that are made depend on a variety of factors including health care availability, ability to weather a storm, safety net, etc.

I am not sure we qualify in California as a Southern State, but definitely our government is making decisions based on economic concerns.  Our Governor is facing what was in May a $54 billion deficit and even governments are now laying off staff.  This thought process is what is what drove CA to open before meeting the metrics posited both federally and buy our own state.

I do not criticize Mexico as a country.  I can and do criticize the ingrained systemic corruption, acceptance of lawlessness and horrible public education system in Mexico.  The current government and president are absolutely horrible.  I saw the Mexican president say on TV that his protection against the corona virus was a lucky $2 bill and a religious medal.   The Mexican government is intentionally not testing nor counting corona virus cases outside of the public health facilities.  Meanwhile they are wasting money on state projects that are flushing the country's wealth down the toilet.  

Sounds like our country's leader in denial.  America has 25% of the cases and about 25% of the deaths worldwide, no other nation comes close.  I wouldn't criticize another country without saying that they are doing a better job against the virus than we are here in the uSA.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, evandbob said:

Sounds like our country's leader in denial.  America has 25% of the cases and about 25% of the deaths worldwide, no other nation comes close.  I wouldn't criticize another country without saying that they are doing a better job against the virus than we are here in the uSA.

Unfortunately that is not the case in Mexico.

1 hour ago, evandbob said:

Sounds like our country's leader in denial

Has been throughout 2019.  I am encouraged that the Vice-President has "broken from the pack" and has been seen wearing a mask and stating that a mask ought to be worn as well as endorsing social distancing.  

I wonder:  will there be a new candidate for Vice-President of the United States nominated during this Summer's GOP convention?  

11 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Has been throughout 2019.  I am encouraged that the Vice-President has "broken from the pack" and has been seen wearing a mask and stating that a mask ought to be worn as well as endorsing social distancing.  

I wonder:  will there be a new candidate for Vice-President of the United States nominated during this Summer's GOP convention?  

And will anyone wear a mask or social distance during that convention?

• Like 1

These rules don't seem unreasonable.  The people who object to them are probably the people the Bahamas prefers to keep out in the first place. Those people can go to Florida or Texas instead if they care so little about protecting others from the virus. 

• Like 1