Bahamas is opening up, what do you think of their new rules?

ilikeanswers

11 hours ago, ontheweb said:

And will anyone wear a mask or social distance during that convention?

It will be interesting to see who does and who does not attend each of the Conventions.

For the Republican Convention, Governor and Mrs. DeWine have been quite willing to say they have yet to be "out and about", i.e. restaurants.  I would be surprised that our Governor would choose to attend a session in Charlotte or in Jacksonville.  

On 6/30/2020 at 7:01 PM, SelectSys said:

Unfortunately that is not the case in Mexico.

Hi Select,

Maybe it's your personal experience that is influencing your perception, but which statistical models are you using to make this assertion. Just looking at numbers that I see, I would not necessarily agree. As Evanbob said, the U.S. accounts for about 25% of the world's cases. Those are the numbers the world sees.

On 7/4/2020 at 4:20 AM, Nic6318 said:

Hi Select,

Maybe it's your personal experience that is influencing your perception, but which statistical models are you using to make this assertion. Just looking at numbers that I see, I would not necessarily agree. As Evanbob said, the U.S. accounts for about 25% of the world's cases. Those are the numbers the world sees.

What does the US case count have to do with your response?  Just because someone reports something doesn't make it true.  I have very little faith in government reporting outside of the western-aligned industrial world through inability and/or to serve a political purpose which is the case in Mexico. 

https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/medical-advances/505409-coronavirus-cases-may-be-widely-underreported

In the case of Mexico, it's not just my personal experience that lead me to this conclusion although I have heard of 2 more deaths among my circle in the last couple of days.  Here are some references for you to consider:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/mexicos-covid-19-death-toll-could-be-twice-as-high-as-official-tally-11593819788

https://www.americamagazine.org/politics-society/2020/07/02/mexican-bishops-call-more-robust-response-covid-19-crisis

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/26/mexico-city-records-thousands-more-deaths-than-usual-amid-doubt-over-official-covid-19-toll

For Mexico, the models don't exist because the government is deliberately not testing nor counting.

https://www.vallartadaily.com/mexico-has-the-highest-rate-of-positive-covid-19-tests-in-the-world/

“The Mexican government has stated that it is not intended to count every single case, but to resort to modern and proven efficient mechanisms to tackle the pandemic,” López-Gatell said at a Senate hearing in late May. On Tuesday, he said that “hypertension, diabetes, and obesity are the three most associated co-morbidities in COVID-19 deaths.” 

Lopez-Gatell is the lead medical official for COVID in Mexico as I am assuming that name is not widely known in Ontario,

Happy belated Canada day!

Edited by SelectSys

On 6/27/2020 at 6:20 AM, momofmab said:

The timing will be difficult in taking and getting a test result back 3 days before travel.  Some test results are coming back within 24-48 hours, some are taking longer.  Imagine making all the travel arrangements and pacing the airport, waiting for test results.  No test results - money wasted.  A week seems more doable.

That said, a negative test result in hand from 10 days earlier (even 3 days earlier) is really a false sense of security.  No way to tell if a traveler has been infected with the virus since the test, and is otherwise asymptomatic.  Strict in-public mask-wearing requirements will help mitigate a possible spread but the Bahamian tourism industry and government would have to be willing to police & enforce it.

I'm not even sure how easy it would be to get a test to travel. I have a co-worker who has a household member who tested positive for COVID and his doctor won't write him a referral to get a test because he doesn't have symptoms. I am sure there will be some doctors and some locations where you won't be able to just get a test because you want to take a trip. 

16 hours ago, sanger727 said:

I'm not even sure how easy it would be to get a test to travel. I have a co-worker who has a household member who tested positive for COVID and his doctor won't write him a referral to get a test because he doesn't have symptoms. I am sure there will be some doctors and some locations where you won't be able to just get a test because you want to take a trip. 

Yes the ability to get a test and how long it takes to get the results seems to vary from state to state (and even town to town).  I suppose cruise port states could open quick-test centers for cruise passengers (and likely generate a nice revenue).  I can see the billboards on 95 now "UNCLE FRED'S QUICK TEST - NEXT EXIT!  HAVE YOUR RESULTS VIA EMAIL BY THE TIME YOU PULL INTO PORT CANAVERAL!"

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, evandbob said:

Just reported that the Bahamas are shutting the door to tourists and travelers from the USA on July 21.

They want to protect their population.  No word was given when the USA ban will be lifted.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/the-bahamas-closes-its-borders-to-us-travelers/ar-BB16Wxfm?li=BBorjTa&ocid=hplocalnews

Yes, the new global normal, Make Americans Unwelcome.

6 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Doesn't matter where you are from.  It's not the nationality that's unwelcome, it's the Covid.

But the perception is that it is America that cannot get this under control. And it seems for too much of America, this is the truth.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

But the perception is that it is America that cannot get this under control. And it seems for too much of America, this is the truth.

There are still posters on these threads who attempt to deny the existence of COVID as a real threat.  They quote selective “sources” which minimize the numbers of infections and deaths and they throw in meaningless comparisons with (grossly inflated) flu statistics.

It is difficult to understand these people or their motivations - perhaps it is just wishful thinking on their part;  but they need to be countered because they continue to spread misinformation - leading in part to so many not taking things seriously.

These people are actually prolonging the situation - unless an overwhelming proportion of the population comply with precautions, the thing will spread.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Yes, we have earned it.

It is interesting how things have played out:  many the people who most want to cruise as soon as possible have been the ones most strongly inclined to deny the seriousness of the pandemic, with the result that they have resisted participating in efforts to limit contagion - while encouraging others to think that the whole thing is something of a hoax (yes - that term has been used).

The result, of course, is that their refusing to wear masks and observe social distancing - and to encourage others by their example — has permitted the contagion to spread.  

The bottom line is that many of the most eager to cruise in the near future have largely contributed to the prolonged suspension of cruising.

Well done, you skeptics.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, navybankerteacher said:

It is interesting how things have played out:  many the people who most want to cruise as soon as possible have been the ones most strongly inclined to deny the seriousness of the pandemic, with the result that they have resisted participating in efforts to limit contagion - while encouraging others to think that the whole thing is something of a hoax (yes - that term has been used).

The result, of course, is that their refusing to wear masks and observe social distancing - and to encourage others by their example — has permitted the contagion to spread.  

The bottom line is that many of the most eager to cruise in the near future have largely contributed to the prolonged suspension of cruising.

Well done, you skeptics.

Exactly.

It closely mirrors the moronic "open everything up, I need a haircut!" crowd that emerged in the spring ... particularly the armed Michigan thugs at the state Capitol. Had Michigan troopers disarmed and cuffed that entire group, perhaps we'd have gone in a different direction.

Instead, the very same folks who shrieked and screeched that a shutdown was violating their "right" are now filling bars to SRO and screaming at retail clerks and restaurant hostesses about how they'll never wear masks. And this is leading states and cities to delay reopenings (or in many cases roll back reopenings). 

So ultimately, the loudmouths who can't get it together to (1) wear a damn mask into Wendy's or Kohl's and (2) stand 6 feet away on the checkout line will be the ones who drive those businesses into closing.

And America wonders why it has become the world's laughingstock. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

So ultimately, the loudmouths who can't get it together to (1) wear a damn mask into Wendy's or Kohl's and (2) stand 6 feet away on the checkout line will be the ones who drive those businesses into closing.

You're asking a lot, you know? 

PS: I'm furious also. Thanks.

• Like 2

On 7/10/2020 at 3:49 AM, momofmab said:

Yes the ability to get a test and how long it takes to get the results seems to vary from state to state (and even town to town).  I suppose cruise port states could open quick-test centers for cruise passengers (and likely generate a nice revenue).  I can see the billboards on 95 now "UNCLE FRED'S QUICK TEST - NEXT EXIT!  HAVE YOUR RESULTS VIA EMAIL BY THE TIME YOU PULL INTO PORT CANAVERAL!"

Haha.  Now that is funny, even if not far from what the reality could be.   

Maybe Starbucks could make it part of their drive through service.   

10 hours ago, ontheweb said:

No one to blame but ourselves (the generic, global "ourselves", even though many of us have been compliant, we suffer for the bad behavior of others). 

• Like 1

Our problem where we live in Canada is that we have a proportion of the population who are not listening to anyone-politicians or health care professionals.   As a result we are seeing a concerning increase in covid cases during our soft openings.

10 minutes ago, iancal said:

Our problem where we live in Canada is that we have a proportion of the population who are not listening to anyone-politicians or health care professionals.   As a result we are seeing a concerning increase in covid cases during our soft openings.

Unfortunately, we do have our share of the 'It's a hoax"  or  "you can't make me wear a mask" crowd.

Luckily, they seem to be a small (but vocal) minority.

2 hours ago, electro said:

Unfortunately, we do have our share of the 'It's a hoax"  or  "you can't make me wear a mask" crowd.

Luckily, they seem to be a small (but vocal) minority.

My part of Ontario was the first to have a mandatory mask order.  One or two kooks made a fuss at first but otherwise everyone is wearing a mask in indoor public places. 

Edited by K32682

2 minutes ago, K32682 said:

My part of Ontario was the first to have a mandatory mask order.  One or two kooks made a fuss at first but otherwise everyone is wearing a mask in indoor public places. 

Everyone here is too. Many were before the order. I'm in the Cornwall area.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2020 at 10:42 AM, ontheweb said:

Considering how we have handled this problem, why do you think that we should be welcomed anywhere in the world?

DON

• Like 1

Just now, donaldsc said:

Considering how we have handled this problem, why do you think that we should be welcomed anywhere in the world?

DON

Nowhere did I say we should be.

Make America GRATE on others.